Senate passes bill to make DST permanent

Storm the Field

Food for thought.

Health experts say making daylight saving time permanent is a terrible idea. Permanent standard time, on the other hand ...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03/16/metro/could-making-daylight-saving-time-permanent-affect-our-health-heres-what-research-shows/

Sleep experts say Senate has it wrong: Standard time, not daylight saving, should be permanent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/03/16/daylight-saving-bill-health-effects/

The Senate Just Voted for You to Get Less Sleep, Expert Says

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/daylight-savings-times-senate-sleep-science-1322200/

• Like 1

I like how China does time.  One time zone for the entire country and no time changes. Say everyone in America switched to Eastern time. Call it American Standard Time. Meetings across the country become simple: meeting at 11am today.  Everyone's clock says 11am.  Each business or school decides for themselves when they want to start their day. A school in NYC might start 8am but the California school starts at 11am AST.

It doesn't matter if the clock says 11am or 7am when you wake up. you wake up when you need to start your day. The clock is just a number.

21 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like how China does time.  One time zone for the entire country and no time changes. Say everyone in America switched to Eastern time. Call it American Standard Time. Meetings across the country become simple: meeting at 11am today.  Everyone's clock says 11am.  Each business or school decides for themselves when they want to start their day. A school in NYC might start 8am but the California school starts at 11am AST.

It doesn't matter if the clock says 11am or 7am when you wake up. you wake up when you need to start your day. The clock is just a number.

This is a really bad idea man. The west would end up pressured to conform to eastern time even more than they already do? And what about promos for the Big Bang theory during the nfl football games?  Do you went Jim Nantz to gabe to explain that it’s going to air at 8:00 in New York but 11:00 at night in LA?  No- 8:00/7 central has worked forever.

you want kids in California to not be able to relate to the great Dolly Parton singing 9 yo 5?  Then having to ask their parents why she didn’t just work 11-7 like everyone else in their life?  

I know a good Jewish space laser operator who can make that kinda thing happen.  Totally worth the expense in the long run, based on uniformity.  

Big Sun has been pushing its weight around for far too long.  Getting all the planets in line with its bullshit agenda.  

On 3/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, Samson's Wig said:

Health experts say making daylight saving time permanent is a terrible idea. Permanent standard time, on the other hand ...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/03/16/metro/could-making-daylight-saving-time-permanent-affect-our-health-heres-what-research-shows/

Sleep experts say Senate has it wrong: Standard time, not daylight saving, should be permanent

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/03/16/daylight-saving-bill-health-effects/

The Senate Just Voted for You to Get Less Sleep, Expert Says

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/daylight-savings-times-senate-sleep-science-1322200/

Also health 'experts' for 1.5 years:  "Clothes masks are helpful"

Also health 'experts' not that long ago:  "Low fat diets are very healthy and highly recommended"

On 3/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, 'stache said:

Yeah, I'm back to make it standard not DST. Sunrise at 8:30 am is absurd. Our elementary school kids will be an hour into class with pure darkness outside. Our bodies aren't made for that shit.

image.png.4cc4d5940fa8b279cb665250ee843e50.png

Today’s kids are never outside so what difference does it make?

On 3/18/2022 at 2:43 PM, 'stache said:

Yeah, I'm back to make it standard not DST. Sunrise at 8:30 am is absurd. Our elementary school kids will be an hour into class with pure darkness outside. Our bodies aren't made for that shit.

image.png.4cc4d5940fa8b279cb665250ee843e50.png

It’s December 21, no kids have school that day anyway………..

31 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Also health 'experts' not that long ago:  "Low fat diets are very healthy and highly recommended"

I suppose none of us should ever believe anything.  Unless Russians post it on Facebook, of course.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

God damnit, don't derail this shit. They said cloth masks were "likely" helpful at first, then confirmed that they were helpful, as far as the first wave. They later said they were less effective on the second waive mutation and that N95s were needed. It's on the fucking website right now. 

The fats argument is at least universally acknowledged now as questionable.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

And?  I have no idea what your point is other than we should ignore all scientific evidence because health experts were wrong on weight loss 30 years ago.  Off to chain smoke some cigarettes and have my knee surgery in my backyard since who the fuck knows if germ theory is real.

If we stuck with what "experts" originally said way back when, we wouldn't have the concept of time nor certainly clocks anyway so this whole debate is moot/mute/moops.

Once you declare something, you can never go back and adapt it based on new evidence.  Ever.  According to new rules I've just made up /izzard.

I can think of two Senators in particular who'd like daylight to hurry up and end sooner so they can get to glory hole buffet under cover of night.  But that's neither here, nor there, but it is in there