Senate passes bill to make DST permanent

Storm the Field

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I'm not a morning person and all my kids are grown so I don't care if it's dark in the morning.

And I don't care if it inconveniences anyone else.  My opinion is that it's better to have more daylight later in the day and my opinion is the only correct one.

Your handle proves otherwise.  

• Haha 3

My solution is moving to Hawaii, being retired, sleep when I want, go to the beach when it's nice out, go the the mountains\forest when I get the itch. 

Eat breakfast when I wake up, and maybe it is egg-in-a-hole, may it is fish tacos, and it might just be chocolate cake - keeping track of time is for the poors and changing time is just another way for the Man to keep you down. Fuck the Man, Power to the People.

Aloha fuckers

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I for one wholeheartedly oppose CRT!  I will not sit idly by while you timekeeper people try to change the past and tell us what to think in the future!  Our children should not be manipulated every hour of every day!  This is bullshit!  The face is white, the hands are black.  Everybody knows that!  Stop trying to re-do the past and re-do the future!  Time is not a political device, even in the Senate votes on it!  We have to be true to our roots.

Wait, sorry.  CDT.  My bad.  Thought we were talking about CRT.  Carry on.  

7 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I like keeping it the same all year, but they're doing it backwards.  DST is fucking bullshit for anyone who has children or works a typical schedule for a living.  It doesn't need to be light outside at 9:30 at night.  And anyone who whines about how they like to mow their yard later in the evening can go fuck themselves for making a racket when everyone else is trying to relax. 

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

It’s not light out at night anywhere the continental US at 930. It’s always 8:55 or less

Edited by StassneyHorn

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I for one wholeheartedly oppose CRT!  I will not sit idly by while you timekeeper people try to change the past and tell us what to think in the future!  Our children should not be manipulated every hour of every day!  This is bullshit!  The face is white, the hands are black.  Everybody knows that!  Stop trying to re-do the past and re-do the future!  Time is not a political device, even in the Senate votes on it!  We have to be true to our roots.

Wait, sorry.  CDT.  My bad.  Thought we were talking about CRT.  Carry on.  

vMl3k4.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I mean we still measure things in a fucked up way that makes no sense while the rest of the world does it right using the metric system. I don't think we give a good god damned what the rest of those commie foreigners do with their clocks.

There’s two kinds of countries in the world - those on the metric system and those that have sent men to the moon. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s not light out at night anywhere the continental US at 930. It’s always 8:55 or less

Futurama Squinting GIF

squinty was because alaska is on the continent, but across the entire UP the sun sets 9:30 pm or later in late june.  northwestern montana it sets 9:30 or later from may 25-july 25.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I like keeping it the same all year, but they're doing it backwards.  DST is fucking bullshit for anyone who has children or works a typical schedule for a living.  It doesn't need to be light outside at 9:30 at night.  And anyone who whines about how they like to mow their yard later in the evening can go fuck themselves for making a racket when everyone else is trying to relax. 

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

10 hours ago, immamac said:

we should go to standard time not daylight savings time. I'm fine with it, but they should standardize with the rest of the world on standard time not some bullshit made up timezone. 

First off, @immamac, all time zones are made up as it is. There is no "rest of the world" standard time.

And for you, @Samson's Wig, it entirely depends on where within the time zone you are. Here in San Diego, on Saturday, the sun was up at 6AM. Sunrise would've been before 6AM today without DST. So naturally, Californians overwhelmingly support making DST permanent, because we're on that Eastern edge of the timezone.

What science is showing (here's a UT Southwestern researcher, among others: https://utswmed.org/medblog/daylight-saving-time-sleep-health/) is that the time change is really bad for us. It isn't merely an inconvenience; it's actually unhealthy. In the end, it doesn't really matter what we choose, just as long as we choose one and stick with it. Then you just go to bed or get up earlier or later depending on what you like, rather than changing the goddamn clocks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Sunshine Protection Act? What the fuck is that? It's the same amount of sunshine regardless of whether or not you fuck with the clocks. 

Snowflake Protection Act.

Really, an hour fucks people up twice a year?  WTF ever.

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

Snowflake Protection Act.

Really, an hour fucks people up twice a year?  WTF ever.

Yep. People routinely stay up later then they meant so what’s the difference. Just go to sleep a bit earlier for a night or two and it doesn’t matter.

And even if you got one less hour of sleep for a night, that shouldn’t wreck you unless you’re already sleep deprived.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck.  YES.

Not only do I not care that you really really really love that it gets light at 6:00 a.m., so the morning run you started, because gosh doesn't a morning jog just really kickstart your day and make you feel SUPER!, and isn't it GREAT that I can run the last half of my hour-long run in the daylight......I hate every word you say about it and every second of your bullshit smile.

I am.  The best duck hunting around here starts in mid-December.  Sunrise is anywhere from 7:10 to 7:28, meaning shooting time is 6:40-6:58.  Add an hour to that -- I don't need to have the dekes out and me set up in my cover until 7:40-7:58.  That's downright civilized.  I love it.

Not to mention when you stay up until 1 am at deer camp sipping whiskey. With permanent daylight savings you get an extra hour of recovery time before you have to be in the blind sipping whiskey spiked coffee in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

Are you me? I love going to north eh Europe in December bc it’s dark at 3:30 

Growing up in Germany, the winter months meant walking to school in the dark and walking home from school in the dark. Crazy shit but I loved it over there.

6 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

If you’re a golfer, you should love this. If you’re a hunter, you should love this. What the fuck is wrong with some of y’all? 

Some of us are neither. Golf is boring as fuck

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some of us are neither. Golf is boring as fuck

Where else can he hang out for five hours, pretending to do something athletic, while creeping on some teenage girl who's just trying to make money  by driving a beer cart?

interesting article from Washingtonian Magazine (a good monthly for D.C. sort of akin to Texas Monthly) on how they tried to DST us permanently in the 70's and it was immensely unpopular (also if you don't remember we actually had 2 years in the 70's when DST was year-round):

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/15/the-us-tried-permanent-daylight-saving-time-in-the-70s-people-hated-it/

tl;dr:
1) Data iffy, but perception was that kids were being mowed down by drivers in the dark mornings.
2) Public loved the idea of year-round DST (79%), but three months into it, once they actually had to do it, cratered to 42%.

As for me, don't much care.  Change it, don't, whatever.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I don’t like it dark when I wake up unless I’m going fishing but I love long summer nights more. So give me more sunlight. I’m on team Big D!!  Save the sun!! Counter act climate change and support our sun!!

You literally left team "Big D"      ;)  

But we're happy for you on whichever team.  You're top notch in my book! 

30 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I can't remember the last time I changed a clock. Is that still a thing? Every clock I have is automatic 

Our 2019 Nissan that emails us if a tire is low or light is out doesn’t change the clock automatically. That surprised me.

34 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

interesting article from Washingtonian Magazine (a good monthly for D.C. sort of akin to Texas Monthly) on how they tried to DST us permanently in the 70's and it was immensely unpopular (also if you don't remember we actually had 2 years in the 70's when DST was year-round):

https://www.washingtonian.com/2022/03/15/the-us-tried-permanent-daylight-saving-time-in-the-70s-people-hated-it/

tl;dr:
1) Data iffy, but perception was that kids were being mowed down by drivers in the dark mornings.
2) Public loved the idea of year-round DST (79%), but three months into it, once they actually had to do it, cratered to 42%.

As for me, don't much care.  Change it, don't, whatever.

image.thumb.jpeg.d1925270e250800fa57c71612ee75724.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Actually, yes. The time change week results in a higher amount of car accidents every year

You could have a bigger impact(hehe) by outlawing drive throughs at eateries… but hey, let’s chase windmills.

55 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I can't remember the last time I changed a clock. Is that still a thing? Every clock I have is automatic 

Just the microwave, oven and a couple watches for me.

I assume most of y'all have wives who love big giant clocks as decor, so good luck to you.  CLOCK is what I said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

You literally left team "Big D"      ;)  

But we're happy for you on whichever team.  You're top notch in my book! 

If all the ladies weren’t allowed on team Big D you guys would be very grumpy. But I was talking about vitamin D. For sexual pleasure I’m on Team T&A.