Senate passes bill to make DST permanent

Storm the Field

Fun fact, the change over days used to be earlier in the fall, and later in the spring, by about 4 total weeks.  A bill in 2005 changed that.  It was in theory supposed to save energy,  I think all it did was make the diurnal effects much more severe. 

it used to be the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in April.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Long game from Jonah.

Was it @Bateshorn who said he can't watch this show because it is too close to real life?

Anyway, if they're going to do that, then they need to move Austin to the Mountain Time Zone.  We're so far west in the Central Time Zone that in the winter, the sun won't come up until damned near 9:00.

I have no idea if we are on standard time or daylight savings time. I know I don't want it still dark at 7 a.m.. Nor do I need to light at 9 p.m. Do the one that cuts that garbage out.

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have no idea if we are on standard time or daylight savings time. I know I don't want it still dark at 7 a.m.. Nor do I need to light at 9 p.m. Do the one that cuts that garbage out.

You could move to a village on the equator?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Was it @Bateshorn who said he can't watch this show because it is too close to real life?

Anyway, if they're going to do that, then they need to move Austin to the Mountain Time Zone.  We're so far west in the Central Time Zone that in the winter, the sun won't come up until damned near 9:00.

Yes. It’s a fucking documentary. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Yeah, we forget sometimes that it used to be 50%/50% in terms of times for decades.  Then quietly it went to actually 75%-DST/25%-Standard and has stayed there for quite awhile.  I see lots of pros and cons, but I have long wished we just went with one and stuck with it all year long. 

However, since our own Senators are literally advocating that we stick with DST all year long, isn't that really our own new "standard time"?  For the 6 U.S. timezones, it'll help...but it will create new confusing challenges for folks traveling/communicating with other parts of the world during the first few years.

Anyway, we're all agreed---we'll only have the Designated Hitter for non-interleague games at National League parks during the DST period unless the pitcher or hitter in question is from a country not regulated by DST?  Makes total sense. 

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

I enjoy the "fall back" change, the "spring forward" change sucks. Can we just get an extra hour every year?

Jesus Christ, yes.  Sunday night I was laying in bed at 10:30pm like "what the fuck, I am not tired" 

Monday was rough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

houston is barely in its right time zone for 5 months of the year, austin is already in the wrong time zone by default (geographically speaking austin should be GMT -7 because it is west of -97.5°) and now it will be two time zones off if this shit passes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It was tough getting our little kids to go to bed at 8:30. Wife said we might have to get them all sunglasses.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Sunshine Protection Act? What the fuck is that? It's the same amount of sunshine regardless of whether or not you fuck with the clocks. 

this is so callous. our leaders are protecting sunshine for future generations!  won't you think of the children!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Bipartisan support for something that just makes sense?  What's the catch?

I've even  seen the text of the bill and they didn't hide any BS in it, like $17.3 billion to study the migratory habits of pygmy hunters in the Australian Outback or some dumb crap like that...

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, we forget sometimes that it used to be 50%/50% in terms of times for decades.  Then quietly it went to actually 75%-DST/25%-Standard and has stayed there for quite awhile.  I see lots of pros and cons, but I have long wished we just went with one and stuck with it all year long. 

However, since our own Senators are literally advocating that we stick with DST all year long, isn't that really our own new "standard time"?  For the 6 U.S. timezones, it'll help...but it will create new confusing challenges for folks traveling/communicating with other parts of the world during the first few years.

Anyway, we're all agreed---we'll only have the Designated Hitter for non-interleague games at National League parks during the DST period unless the pitcher or hitter in question is from a country not regulated by DST?  Makes total sense. 

Only godless heathens support the DH!!!  Are you a godless heathen?  Well, are you????

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm excited for it to be dark at 8:30 in the mornings during the middle of winter.

I'm not a morning person and all my kids are grown so I don't care if it's dark in the morning.

And I don't care if it inconveniences anyone else.  My opinion is that it's better to have more daylight later in the day and my opinion is the only correct one.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

My friend Kramer can tell time just by looking at the sun.  It's tougher for him at night, but that's only for a couple of hours.  

I think this is such news because of the margin it passed by.  Every year, some politician says one soundbite about it, but this is a marked shift.  

I'm sure something weird will happen in the House.  Somebody will claim the sun is an illusion perpetuated by Jewish space lasers or some shit and it'll never make it conference committee.  I could go either way on this thing, but consistency would be nice.  But then.....I'm not a witch.

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm excited for it to be dark at 8:30 in the mornings during the middle of winter.

gonna take longer for that ice to melt in the AM.

I would have been good with spliting the difference at 30 minutes and be done with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

My friend Kramer can tell time just by looking at the sun.  It's tougher for him at night, but that's only for a couple of hours.  

I think this is such news because of the margin it passed by.  Every year, some politician says one soundbite about it, but this is a marked shift.  

I'm sure something weird will happen in the House.  Somebody will claim the sun is an illusion perpetuated by Jewish space lasers or some shit and it'll never make it conference committee.  I could go either way on this thing, but consistency would be nice.  But then.....I'm not a witch.

the awesome thing is more sun for your solar panels!

Time Zones are a relic of the railroads and other tentacles of Big Clock. Time was, people went by the actual local time. Sun's straight up? Noon. Can't see the sun? Break time.

There's no reason we couldn't go back to that. Zulu time for everything computerized that needs a time. For humans though? The phone can tell where you are, so it could tailor your personal clock to what the time actually is based on how far your exact spot has to go til noon or midnight.

Will Zoom meetings not start on time? Of course not. But they don't anyway.