2022 NCAA Tournament - First Round

Pancho

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I feel like we're saying the same thing: he wasn't set, so it's not a charge.

But you're saying that part isn't reviewable; the reviewable part is only if he was or wasn't clear of the arc?

Well why isn't the whole thing reviewable?  Because I don't see the set/not set as subjective.  He was objectively not set and I don't even see how the kid's mom could argue that he was.

College basketball reffing is downright stupid.

Make it easier, clear the circle and you can't take a charge with two feet in the lane. It's bullshit to undercut players making good moves in the paint.

Edited by HtownHorn

Been out on spring break for the kids and watching my first game (tcu).  No CR but why the fuck are cheerleaders and photographers wearing masks and literally nobody else in the ducking arena is wearing a mask?   Is every game the same way?   Some ncaa bs?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

I feel like we're saying the same thing: he wasn't set, so it's not a charge.

But you're saying that part isn't reviewable; the reviewable part is only if he was or wasn't clear of the arc?

Well why isn't the whole thing reviewable?  Because I don't see the set/not set as subjective.  He was objectively not set and I don't even see how the kid's mom could argue that he was.

The rule is only about reviewing RA (arc) block/charges in the last 2 min.  In what you’re saying above, they would be able to review every foul, even just if you’re saying every foul in the last 2 min.  That just isn’t realistic. 

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

He said something along the lines of “he was outside the RA, it’s a charge.”

What he didn’t say: “because this involves a play outside the RA, we can’t overturn the call. We can overturn calls in the last 2min that are RA related.”

thanks for the explanation 

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Been out on spring break for the kids and watching my first game (tcu).  No CR but why the fuck are cheerleaders and photographers wearing masks and literally nobody else in the ducking arena is wearing a mask?   Is every game the same way?   Some ncaa bs?

we were wondering the same thing

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Make it easier, clear the circle and you can't take a charge with two feet in the lane.

Or just have the official realize he just stepped out of the RA while the dude was in the air meaning he wasn’t legally established before the shooter got in the air so that’s clearly a block. 

That’s really on that practically ref, not the rule. 

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Most games I have seen, the cheerleaders have been wearing masks.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

can you tell us what he didn't say?

davidson has been on the wrong end of several bullshit calls in the last two minutes

all the ref was saying is they can only review RA play and guy wasn't in the area.  what he didn't say was I can't review a block/charge that doesn't involve the RA.

yes Davidson got jobbed.

Just now, Pancho said:

Or just have the official realize he just stepped out of the RA while the dude was in the air meaning he wasn’t legally established before the shooter got in the air so that’s clearly a block. 

That’s really on that practically ref, not the rule. 

Clear the lane and allow offense to flourish. It's a better game when athletes aren't worried about some dude coming out of nowhere to undercut you. The block is almost never called as long as the feet are just outside the arc.

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Michigan State was the better team.

The ongoing officiating whining is a bit much. Bilas is happy to hear, I guess.

Pretty sure Bilas's bracket is shit right now, 21-11 so far with Colgate and Wisconsin still playing.

Edited by HtownHorn

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The rule is only about reviewing RA (arc) block/charges in the last 2 min.  In what you’re saying above, they would be able to review every foul, even just if you’re saying every foul in the last 2 min.  That just isn’t realistic. 

Nonsense -- make the reviews coach-initiated, and limit the number they can initiate.  It would eliminate about 96% of the Let's-check-the-clock reviews.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Nonsense -- make the reviews coach-initiated, and limit the number they can initiate.  It would eliminate about 96% of the Let's-check-the-clock reviews.

Ahh, see this is where (once again) I make the point men’s college basketball is outdated.

Women’s college basketball has about 10 things the coaches can challenge anytime throughout the game.  If they lose the challenge, they lose a timeout.  I don't’ believe men’s has such a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I’ve seen the exact same actions called both ways so many times that it’s impossible to judge it objectively. Just this season I saw two plays on the same day where the defender jumped straight up in the air and the offensive player initiated contact with the defender’s elbow. In the Texas Tech-Texas game, the offensive player for TTU was called for the charge. In the Iowa-OSU game, the Buckeye was called for the block. It was the exact same play in both games, right down to the elbow. 

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Women’s college basketball has about 10 things the coaches can challenge anytime throughout the game.  If they lose the challenge, they lose a timeout.  I don't’ believe men’s has such a thing. 

Men's coaches don't want a rule that might cause them to lose timeouts.

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Ahh, see this is where (once again) I make the point men’s college basketball is outdated.

10 things you can challenge in a game?  Great. Just what we need. Officials fucking staring at a monitor for infinitely longer than they should.

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

10 things you can challenge in a game?  Great. Just what we need. Officials fucking staring at a monitor for infinitely longer than they should.

You seem to have missed this part:

If they lose the challenge, they lose a timeout.

I bet they have fewer review stoppages than the men.