2022 NCAA Tournament - First Round

Pancho

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Since hiring Jai Lucas two years ago, Kentucky has had an abysmal season when they missed the tourney, and now this has happened. 

That dude is a curse.

I believe Barnes hired him during his last 2 or 3 seasons in Austin. You might be onto something. 

I’ve always wondered if there are less upsets on the Friday of the first weekend compared to Thursday.  My hypothesis would be the higher seeds on Friday see the upsets on Thursday and there’s something there mentally that causes them to have extra focus so that does happen to them. 

I’m too lazy to pull this up.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’ve always wondered if there are less upsets on the Friday of the first weekend compared to Thursday.  My hypothesis would be the higher seeds on Friday see the upsets on Thursday and there’s something there mentally that causes them to have extra focus so that does happen to them. 

Interesting thought. I'd counter by saying upsets like Kentucky losing to St. Peter's inspires lower seeds and makes them believe they can win 😉

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I was thinking the same thing this morning lol

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Interesting thought. I'd counter by saying upsets like Kentucky losing to St. Peter's inspires lower seeds and makes them believe they can win 😉

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That’s called thinking like a professor.

Here's a little cursory research with all the 1 and 2 upsets:

UMBC/UVA - Friday

--

St. Peters/UK - Thursday

Oral Roberts/tOSU - Friday

MTSU/MSU - Friday

FGCU/Georgetown - Friday

Lehigh/Duke - Friday

Norfolk St/Mizzou- Friday

Hampton/ISU - Thursday 

Coppin State/USCe - Friday

Santa Clara/Zona - Thursday 

Richmond/Cuse - Thursday 

So that leans Fri but small sample size and over a 30 year period. If I get bored I'll do the 3s and 4s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

tOSU is the closest game right now, and they could literally take shot clock violations till the game is over and still win.  

OH, how exciting -- Yale-Purdue is on!  

This sucks.

Just wait until they expand the college football playoff. Those early round games are going to be barn burners.