NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Since the other guy quoted you, I assumed you must have posted at me earlier in the week. Sure enough.

This is one of the many reasons I have you on ignore and view your existence on this site as pure bandwidth drain. 

People with even room temperature IQs or better could read what I wrote and understand that I wasn’t stating that the guy didn’t love UT. Somehow, nonetheless, you chose to interpret the post as me positing that Manning has only a singular issue for why he is on campus. 

And let’s be clear as you read this to yourself out loud and slowly, what I said about NIL is absolutely correct. It’s the largest driver for Manning sticking to the plan at this point. I fucking know because I’ve had to fucking know as everything came together. 

You have me on ignore because you're a giant pussy. Nothing more. Your laughable takes, moving goal posts, and being a cantankerous grandpa with an inferiority complex who lashes out at other posters. Maybe drain the sand from your gaping pussy for a change, you'll be happier. 

• Haha 1

NLRB setting precedent 

As a reminder, the NLRB did not assert jurisdiction over NU football scholarships (Kain Colter's attempt at unionizing) specifically because it "would not promote labor stability due to the structure of NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)" in 2015. So, I would not assume this precedent applies to football, but I'm also not an expert on organized labor and the NLRB. 

This is essentially saying that the average cost of any given scholarship football player is 50k and on average, earn another 10% with NIL. 

• Per school average: 4.71M (fuck you for even thinking about putting another M in there, oilman)
  • Per player average: ~55.5k
  • Per player NIL only average: 5.5k

Would love to see the outliers - also, gotta love that the Pancake Factory set the market. 

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is essentially saying that the average cost of any given scholarship football player is 50k and on average, earn another 10% with NIL. 

• Per school average: 4.71M (fuck you for even thinking about putting another M in there, oilman)
  • Per player average: ~55.5k
  • Per player NIL only average: 5.5k

Would love to see the outliers - also, gotta love that the Pancake Factory set the market. 

In the earlier years of the Internet, I led the development of a "proprietary algorithm" at a start-up. We had a ton of data that wasn't publicly available. We mashed that together with a bunch of purchased data and key publicly available data. This wasn't in the sports sector. Anyway, we eventually were able to use all of it to project growth or decline for various periods across the span of the nation as well as locally for various economic segments. We then used that to establish credibility with the media and various partners, ultimately leading to more and more users. We were published regularly in the USA Today. 

Here's the thing: It was a whole lot of manual shit with smudging and smearing of the data to get to results that seemed like it all made sense. The tech wasn't there yet. It still worked okay since nothing else was like it. For a while, at least. 

I read that article you posted and it even includes the same kind of hedgy/fuzzy wording that we would often use with the media on stories. They are full of shit. They're working with pseudo-science and presenting it as solid data. Absurd.

Also, you don't really want to see the outliers. Also also, they do not get data from any collective worth a shit. None of their business. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In the earlier years of the Internet, I led the development of a "proprietary algorithm" at a start-up. We had a ton of data that wasn't publicly available. We mashed that together with a bunch of purchased data and key publicly available data. This wasn't in the sports sector. Anyway, we eventually were able to use all of it to project growth or decline for various periods across the span of the nation as well as locally for various economic segments. We then used that to establish credibility with the media and various partners, ultimately leading to more and more users. We were published regularly in the USA Today. 

Here's the thing: It was a whole lot of manual shit with smudging and smearing of the data to get to results that seemed like it all made sense. The tech wasn't there yet. It still worked okay since nothing else was like it. For a while, at least. 

I read that article you posted and it even includes the same kind of hedgy/fuzzy wording that we would often use with the media on stories. They are full of shit. They're working with pseudo-science and presenting it as solid data. Absurd.

Also, you don't really want to see the outliers. Also also, they do not get data from any collective worth a shit. None of their business. 

I work in relational databases everyday, so I get the premise. 

The article isn't really an article, but rather their static explainer on what data they use and how they choose to interpret it (see smudge). Practically, they only have one real data point, and it's incomplete - Deal Data. The others they list are subjective: Performance, Influence, and Exposure. It's possible that "Exposure" is entirely based on social following and is a legitimate measurement, but I don't really care. 

I was commenting on the content of Terry's post which is entirely separate from their NIL valuation albrorithm, though he does reference some of their terminology. 

I think he's saying/implying a few things:

The projected spend for Roster Management for Collectives/Schools over the next 12 months for P5 College Football (only) is around $325 million. "Roster Value" remains around ~90% of the total NIL Market and Valuation for CFB players.

• Scholarship players are paid a base salary which is described here as an athletes "roster value", or the cost to keep them on the roster
  • On average, roughly 10% of the money that a player receives is a result of NIL deals - deals that are specific to the player's marketability
  • Collectives/Schools are on the hook for 325M spread out over 69 schools and 5,865 scholarship players. 

If I read that correctly, we've not seen real numbers on what the market will tolerate in a public forum...

Also also, they do not get data from any collective worth a shit. None of their business.

...and it doesn't sound like we're working with real numbers now either, unfortunately. I did not consider this fact and I have no idea how they could even back into 325M with the data publicly available. Of course that's why they're confident sharing it as it's not auditable. 

All to say - the economics of it all are fascinating and I'll look forward to real data becoming available. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nahlin with a NIL note

Spoiler

During last night's athletics town hall Chris Del Conte gave a revealing presentation on the state of affairs in the athletics department. The school is clearly awash in cash, or at least financing, given all the capital projects either underway or soon to break ground.

New facilities for recruiting, UT letterman, and current players alike. A new beach volleyball locker room. New grab n go concessions, which probably have as much to do with how difficult it is to staff the stadium on game day, will also be available.

On top of it, the school will not raise ticket prices on a per game basis. That's yet another sign of sound financial health.

But what about the health of NIL? Del Conte touched on the subject tangentially, though he did directly say how important donating to the Texas One Fund is. Indeed.

The state of fundraising efforts for T1F is improving, especially after a very important period in January where some big gifts were given. The fund is still too reliant on the generosity of a few, but more high net worth people do seem to adapting to the new normal.

It's important to gauge NIL every year. Some schools fluctuate based on differing factors. A school could be 'up' one cycle and 'down' the next. If there's room to say Texas has the best NIL in the country, it's from the standpoint of consistency and follow through. Texas does have a strong apparatus in place run by very capable people, though the 'best' can often be decided by who is spending the most. If you watched this last portal window, that was certainly not Texas.

Texas will remain competitive in the NIL space for the foreseeable future. There will be a massive multi-day event in May that should help propel NIL fundraising efforts deeper into the calendar. The event will attract the who's who of the Texas ecosystem and should raise a good amount of money.

But that doesn't mean the laypeople should let off the gas. Quite the opposite, as the very wealthy increase their skin in the game so too should the normies. It truly is an all hands on deck pursuit.

• Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin with a NIL note

Reveal hidden contents

During last night's athletics town hall Chris Del Conte gave a revealing presentation on the state of affairs in the athletics department. The school is clearly awash in cash, or at least financing, given all the capital projects either underway or soon to break ground.

New facilities for recruiting, UT letterman, and current players alike. A new beach volleyball locker room. New grab n go concessions, which probably have as much to do with how difficult it is to staff the stadium on game day, will also be available.

On top of it, the school will not raise ticket prices on a per game basis. That's yet another sign of sound financial health.

But what about the health of NIL? Del Conte touched on the subject tangentially, though he did directly say how important donating to the Texas One Fund is. Indeed.

The state of fundraising efforts for T1F is improving, especially after a very important period in January where some big gifts were given. The fund is still too reliant on the generosity of a few, but more high net worth people do seem to adapting to the new normal.

It's important to gauge NIL every year. Some schools fluctuate based on differing factors. A school could be 'up' one cycle and 'down' the next. If there's room to say Texas has the best NIL in the country, it's from the standpoint of consistency and follow through. Texas does have a strong apparatus in place run by very capable people, though the 'best' can often be decided by who is spending the most. If you watched this last portal window, that was certainly not Texas.

Texas will remain competitive in the NIL space for the foreseeable future. There will be a massive multi-day event in May that should help propel NIL fundraising efforts deeper into the calendar. The event will attract the who's who of the Texas ecosystem and should raise a good amount of money.

But that doesn't mean the laypeople should let off the gas. Quite the opposite, as the very wealthy increase their skin in the game so too should the normies. It truly is an all hands on deck pursuit.

Nahlin wrote a good summary of what we've been posting on this board as things have unfolded over the years up to now. I'll be at the thing in May and encourage anyone else with the time and money to attend. It's a big deal for other sports and the for the non-celebrity football roster. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Is there an expectation that the big-money/little-money ratio would be significantly different for NIL than it has been in the past for football-focused donations? Or is it just that the little money is lagging behind in the ratio right now with regard to NIL? (I suppose the tiers between big and little money are important in this conversation, too.)

Is there any NIL initiative anywhere that isn't primarily leaning on the big gifts of a wealthy few?

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Is there an expectation that the big-money/little-money ratio would be significantly different for NIL than it has been in the past for football-focused donations? Or is it just that the little money is lagging behind in the ratio right now with regard to NIL? (I suppose the tiers between big and little money are important in this conversation, too.)

Is there any NIL initiative anywhere that isn't primarily leaning on the big gifts of a wealthy few?

Burnt Ends, which is why it's such a powerful example of what's actually possible with NIL and how big of a difference it can make. 

The future is a layer cake, the bottom tier of that cake is little-money, it's the foundation of everything across the board for all sports, right now that layer is basically incomplete which means the rest of the cake cannot be built. The second tier is the BMD individuals who can give to supplement and do strategic things with. The third tier is Corporate NIL opportunities that allow for Texas and other extremely high affinity markets/brands to attract the pure corporate dollars in for the best of the best marketable players. The cake isn't sized based on the "amount of money" but the "amount of donors", corporate should be the fewest, small ball should be far and away the largest, all 3 layers should be similar from a dollars brought in perspective though.

Lets use round numbers for an example: 10M per year for all sports

Expect 2.5-3M per year for top 5-10 marketable athletes across the board from big corporate deals probably only 1 per athlete (5-10 deals tops per year). These are the types of deals that have real ROI and real brand building for the student athletes beyond them showing up and doing stuff in Texas gear. It's about them the person more than them the athlete. It's creme de la creme shit like Bijan early on. 

Expect 3-3.5M per year for strategic or unexpected student athletes who may have a breakout impact or large inrush of brand opportunity that needs to be supplemented in the short term. We've seen anywhere from 15-40 of these across all sports per cycle and these should be funded by 10+ who are able to do the 6 figure+ type contribution on an annual basis. 

Expect 3.5-5M per year for the baseline across all sports which includes ~700 people. That's 700 deals and it needs to be funded by 10000+ people who can afford 350-500/yr donations. You can get fancy with this and tier this a bit further and say we want 500 doing 1k+ and 2500 doing 500+ and the rest doing around 350 or less.  

But that's a realistic way to look at things. Right now we essentially have the top layer booted up, but not running like a well oiled machine. The second tier is bearing entirely too much weight (we'd be fucked without them TBH) and the third tier is 10-20% of where it needs to be for true sustainability. <---We are 10x ahead of most collectives here, which is why the question keeps coming up about NIL as a whole at the current rate being sustainable. Does the hardcore fan (10k out of a living alumni base of 500K+ is 2%, which I would consider hardcore) really want to get this involved? How do we get them to get involved? The other issue is Texas has a huge alumni base with a ton of hardcores, when you start to look outside of the big state schools there aren't really many that could even consider the biggest part of the sustainable layer cake with their puny alumni bases and hardcore fans that are a smidgeon compared to Texas fans. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Report: Amazon pays LSU $1 million for rights to video project on name, image and likeness program

https://www.wbrz.com/news/report-amazon-pays-lsu-1-million-for-rights-to-video-project-on-name-image-and-likeness-program

Spoiler

Amazon Prime Video recently greenlit a docuseries on LSU athletics. It will be called The Money Game and is set to follow the department’s on and off-field success for the 2023-2024 athletics seasons, with a focus on the university's name, image and likeness programs.

According to a report by Sportico, Campfire Film & TV is paying LSU $1 million for the rights to produce show. On top of that, participating athletes would be paid a “talent fee” as a form of NIL compensation for appearing in the show. Those fees are to be negotiated between Campfire and the athletes themselves, and they’re in addition to the $1 million paid to LSU.

Coaches who appear in the show aren’t set to receive the same kind of talent fee as the athletes involved.

The Money Game is set to be directed by Drea Cooper. Along with Campfire Film & TV, it will be produced by Axios Entertainment and Shaquille O’Neal’s Jersey Legends, a division of Authentic Studios

Among the LSU athletes involved in the show are All-American women’s basketball star Angel Reese, Roc Nation-signed rapper Flau’jae Johnson, Heisman-Trophy winning quarterback Jayden Daniels and gymnast Olivia Dunne.

Each of those athletes involved will be given a contract that outlines their responsibilities as it relates to the series. On top of that, amid uncertain NIL rules, Campfire and LSU agreed on what athletes are “key participants,” and then the school is “permitting” those interviews to occur.

Perhaps no athlete has benefited from the NIL era more than Dunne. With 12.4 million total social media followers, Dunne has a $3.5 million On3 NIL Valuation. She is also third in the On3 NIL 100, only behind Bronny James and Shedeur Sanders. That also makes her first in the On3 College Gymnastics NIL Rankings, ahead of multiple Olympic gymnasts like Jordan Chiles and Jade Carey.

Reese has found similar success in NIL, becoming one of the best known women’s basketball players. She has a $1.7 million On3 NIL Valuation and is seventh in the On3 NIL 100. She’s not alone on the women’s basketball team, though, as Flau-jae Johnson also has a valuation of $1.1 million and is 16th on the NIL 100 list.

In a press release for the show, it was made clear that NIL is going to be a key focus for the docuseries.

“The docuseries follows, in real time, a historic turning point in the NCAA upon policy changes on name, image, and likeness (NIL) rights—guaranteed to shape the trajectory of college sports forever—highlighted by the surreal experiences of LSU’s top players, coaches, and administrators,” the press release stated. “LSU, the flagship university of the state of Louisiana, is one of the most iconic brands in college athletics. LSU boasts an SEC-best 51 team national championships and is currently home to three of the top-10 collegiate earners in NIL.”

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin wrote a good summary of what we've been posting on this board as things have unfolded over the years up to now. I'll be at the thing in May and encourage anyone else with the time and money to attend. It's a big deal for other sports and the for the non-celebrity football roster. 

Has there been any indication that CDC is going to open his Rolodex and push for NIL donations or is he still kind of not really helping or however it was phrased a while ago by you or RGB 

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Has there been any indication that CDC is going to open his Rolodex and push for NIL donations or is he still kind of not really helping or however it was phrased a while ago by you or RGB 

To put it succinctly it’s not his fucking job to pay the players. It’s the fans job to pay the players. 

Do I think the AD could do more to help? Absolutely. Do I think it’s their responsibility? Hell no. 

They have put multiple frameworks in place. Have publicly endorsed Texas One Fund as the way to get involved, but it’s not on the AD to constantly push donors to some external organization. It’s on that organization to get their shit together and leverage the university’s blessing and sanctioning to maximize their own donor base.

Its TOF own fault there isn’t more donors not anyone else’s. Thats not an opinion that is fact. Why that is the case is where the opinions (that I’ll leave out of this post) can begin. 

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

Have publicly endorsed Texas One Fund as the way to get involved, but it’s not on the AD to constantly push donors to some external organization.

Hey man, I don’t want to start a nitpick battle on this but you’re mistaken and I’ve been told that by CDC himself.  It’s his job to lead Texas athletics, period, and sometimes that’s working behind the scenes to organize stakeholders in a compliant way so that the athletes are supported.  

Obviously it wasn’t in his job description when he was hired.  It’s clear that the arms race over the next decade isn’t going to be “who has the newest locker room?”, it’s going to be who best organizes a cohort of businesses and donors to provide consistent sponsorship opportunities.  If an AD is holding up his hands proclaiming “not my job”, then that university is going to be behind those that feel otherwise.  

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Hey man, I don’t want to start a nitpick battle on this but you’re mistaken and I’ve been told that by CDC himself.  It’s his job to lead Texas athletics, period, and sometimes that’s working behind the scenes to organize stakeholders in a compliant way so that the athletes are supported.  

Obviously it wasn’t in his job description when he was hired.  It’s clear that the arms race over the next decade isn’t going to be “who has the newest locker room?”, it’s going to be who best organizes a cohort of businesses and donors to provide consistent sponsorship opportunities.  If an AD is holding up his hands proclaiming “not my job”, then that university is going to be behind those that feel otherwise.  

Yeah and he’s done that and his part. It’s not on the AD to do everything was my point. CDC has been extremely helpful and has facilitated a whole hell of a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah and he’s done that and his part. It’s not on the AD to do everything was my point. CDC has been extremely helpful and has facilitated a whole hell of a lot. 

Nobody is telling him to do everything. Were saying he should 100% be pushing donors toward it at events and etc since he’s legally able to. Same as he would like he’s pushing for donations for facility improvements/etc. Especially when some talk on here from yalls side says he’s kind of pussy footed on NIL so far. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Nobody is telling him to do everything. Were saying he should 100% be pushing donors toward it at events and etc since he’s legally able to. Same as he would like he’s pushing for donations for facility improvements/etc. Especially when some talk on here from yalls side says he’s kind of pussy footed on NIL so far. 

He’s not. He does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

That’s why I asked my initial question because yall said otherwise a while back. So hence I asked if it has changed. 

I wasn’t one of the ones to give the initial feedback. I’ll say something that can be read into however you please, but if burnt ends or surly had AD backing this shit would be outrageously fun. 

Bobby:

A little bit of NIL news from behind the scenes.

The Texas One Fund continues to put its best foot forward to raise NIL funds for Texas student-athletes.

I'm told the group is working on a major charity gala set for mid-May.

And the venue will be...

DKR. The actual field itself.

Chris Del Conte began reaching out to major donors late last week.

Speaking of the One Fund, the group is beginning to attract the interest of a few companies for sponsorships, among them Benchmark Bank, Covert Auto Group and Ticket City. Hat tip to those companies for their sponsorships.

One Fund is doing a nice job of reaching out to multiple levels of fandom IMO.

Whether it's corporate sponsorships, tailgates at the Sugar Bowl like the one at Manning's (thanks Rick!), or cultivating large donors in unique ways like the gala mentioned above, it's nice to see all Texas fans pulling in one direction when it comes to creating better teams.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Bobby:

A little bit of NIL news from behind the scenes.

The Texas One Fund continues to put its best foot forward to raise NIL funds for Texas student-athletes.

I'm told the group is working on a major charity gala set for mid-May.

And the venue will be...

DKR. The actual field itself.

Chris Del Conte began reaching out to major donors late last week.

Speaking of the One Fund, the group is beginning to attract the interest of a few companies for sponsorships, among them Benchmark Bank, Covert Auto Group and Ticket City. Hat tip to those companies for their sponsorships.

One Fund is doing a nice job of reaching out to multiple levels of fandom IMO.

Whether it's corporate sponsorships, tailgates at the Sugar Bowl like the one at Manning's (thanks Rick!), or cultivating large donors in unique ways like the gala mentioned above, it's nice to see all Texas fans pulling in one direction when it comes to creating better teams.

Covert group makes sense.  They've always been big supporters of UT athletics and Chance Covert II is part of the 2024 class for baseball (signed last fall I believe).

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess no one thinks anything of the latest injunction. I didn’t give it much thought either and spoke with compliance after the ruling. Seems like no one knows shit and everyone is still fumbling in the dark on almost every aspect of NIL. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

So I guess no one thinks anything of the latest injunction. I didn’t give it much thought either and spoke with compliance after the ruling. Seems like no one knows shit and everyone is still fumbling in the dark on almost every aspect of NIL. 

Was wondering why this hadn’t made more of a ripple on this thread. Sure seems like the NCAA has been basically neutered. 

So basically now instead of saying to recruits player X received $100k last year, and we view you similarly *wink wink*, they can just say we are willing to offer you $100k?  Doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Would this also prevent the NCAA from banning NIL contracts that tie the athlete to a specific school?  That actually seems like a NCAA rule that was thought up as a way to somehow limit inducement, but ends up benefiting the players by preventing them from signing away their freedom to transfer without penalty.

18 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Was wondering why this hadn’t made more of a ripple on this thread. Sure seems like the NCAA has been basically neutered. 

I think there’s a really good chance that helps add some sanity to NIL conversations. It no longer has to be “here is what State U is offering our guy” from the agent. Show me an offer and I am willing to show you what we can do too. The minute someone claims they’re getting $750k somewhere, clarity can be sought without anyone saying or offering something they shouldn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/24/2024 at 6:24 PM, Duane Moore said:

Reading the decision, I am not seeing how many of the NCAA's rules are valid under antitrust laws if challenged.

The NCAA's market power over Division I athletics is undeniable. See Alston, 594 U.S. at 90 ("The NCAA accepts that its members collectively enjoy monopsony power in the market for student-athlete services, such that its restraints can ( and in fact do) harm competition."). Plaintiffs also present sufficient evidence that the challenged rules likely harm competition. As the Court previously held, the NIL-recruiting ban is, in effect, "an agreement among competitors to refuse to discuss prices with [recruits] until after negotiations haye resulted in the initial selection of [ a school]." Nat 'l Soc. of Pro. Eng 'rs v. United States, 435 U.S. 679, 692 (1978). 

This justification is not devoid of logic. Without the NIL-recruiting ban, the top talent will likely follow the money, leaving the less affluent schools less likely to be able to compete on the court or the field. Nonetheless, that justification is not relevant to the instant inquiry. While maintaining competitive balance in college sports is "a legitimate and important endeavor" [Id. at pg. 21 ], spreading competition evenly across the member institutions by restraining trade is precisely the type of anticompetitive conduct the Sherman Act seeks to prevent. "The 'statutory policy' of the Act is one of competition and it 'precludes inquiry into the question whether competition is good or bad."' Alston, 594 U.S. at 95 (citation omitted). "The NCAA is free to argue that, 'because of the special characteristics of [its] particular industry,' it should be exempt from the usual operation of the antitrust laws-but that appeal is 'properly addressed to Congress."' Id. at 96 (quoting Nat 'l Soc. of Pro. Eng'rs, 435 U.S. I at 689). And, up to this point, Congress has declined to do so. 

For example, I cannot see how the ban on decorating a recruit's hotel room or the ban on official photoshoots with recruits on non-official visits would withstand antitrust scrutiny.

Even things like the rescriction on the number of scholarships per school would seem to be violations of antitrust laws under the court's rationale.  An agreement among competitor's to limit the number of employees they can hire is clearly anticompetitive and I do not see much in the way of justifying it if "spreading competition evenly across the member institutions by restraining trade is precisely the type of anticompetitive conduct the Sherman Act seeks to prevent."

• 3 weeks later...

Man watching Saban howl and cry to anyone who will give him a platform about NIL and paying players is giving me a raging stiffy. I can only imagine how you guys who are actively involved with Texas's NIL efforts feel. I am honestly bummed out that Saban tucked tailed and ran when he did, a year or two of NIL powers raiding the GOATs roster and his inability todo anything about it would have been nice before Saban was forced to retire.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 2/27/2024 at 9:45 AM, Texas Wahoo said:

Reading the decision, I am not seeing how many of the NCAA's rules are valid under antitrust laws if challenged.

For example, I cannot see how the ban on decorating a recruit's hotel room

I agree and think we should decorate recruit's hotel rooms with wall-to-wall Benjamins.

12 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Man watching Saban howl and cry to anyone who will give him a platform about NIL and paying players is giving me a raging stiffy. I can only imagine how you guys who are actively involved with Texas's NIL efforts feel. I am honestly bummed out that Saban tucked tailed and ran when he did, a year or two of NIL powers raiding the GOATs roster and his inability todo anything about it would have been nice before Saban was forced to retire.

He’s not wrong though. That’s what you are missing. It is pay for play and no one even cares about disguising it as anything else anymore. It’s not about personal brand or effective reach like typical endorsements. It’s straight up roster management done by collectives in a massive pay for play and inducement scheme. 

Just because we are the best at following the letter and rules of the law/compliance doesn’t mean the core of what NIL is supposed to be isn’t trampled on. 

also must suck to be poor. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Even Bobby agrees with Saban's take, and it's not just about money and pay for play, but it's the transfer portal. As soon as a kid sees he's not getting his way, there's the portal. Just ask Dante Moore. Then he left for Oregon only to be back in the same situation behind Gabriel. Plus their OC likes to run his QB's, and Gabriel is a walking egg waiting to be cracked, and Moore is a statue. Novosad, come oooooon down. 

So I do see Saban's point. Kids no longer want to be held accountable, so they just leave. Ask Neyor. Coached up? Better have an amazing culture like Sark. Once adversity hits, these kids just run. 

Also, like Immamac said, it must suck to be the poors. I'm all for paying players, but they need to earn it, not say gimme monies. 

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Even Bobby agrees with Saban's take, and it's not just about money and pay for play, but it's the transfer portal. As soon as a kid sees he's not getting his way, there's the portal. Just ask Dante Moore. Then he left for Oregon only to be back in the same situation behind Gabriel. Plus their OC likes to run his QB's, and Gabriel is a walking egg waiting to be cracked, and Moore is a statue. Novosad, come oooooon down. 

So I do see Saban's point. Kids no longer want to be held accountable, so they just leave. Ask Neyor. Coached up? Better have an amazing culture like Sark. Once adversity hits, these kids just run. 

Also, like Immamac said, it must suck to be the poors. I'm all for paying players, but they need to earn it, not say gimme monies. 

wait you are using Neyor as an example? He blew up his knee and wanted a fresh start.. he stuck with the team this past season.  He needed to hit the portal

Just now, Thiefery said:

wait you are using Neyor as an example? He blew up his knee and wanted a fresh start.. he stuck with the team this past season.  He needed to hit the portal

Bobby said he was in the dog house. He pouted about not getting as many reps as he wanted, and then couldn't get out of the dog house. This was on yesterday's or the day before Coffee and Football 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Spoken like a true religious zealot. 

Guys getting paid to play has been around since Bud Wilkinson. Saban was the best at it at Bama in a closed game with 10-ish participants. All of it was illegal and most teams chose to standby and play stupid. 

Now guys and girls are legally being paid and you’re bitching about it because original intent is somewhat astray here. Entire rosters of players are being paid, whereas if it was only about NIL for autographs and tv commercials, only the elite players would get a thing, and it’s a problem for you. It’s bizarre.

My outlook is to be happy for the thousands of families whose lives are changing, by people giving happily, and the changing of the landscape from the competitive perspective. 

So, yeah, Saban is fundamentally wrong. Not in that NIL led to pay to play, but that it shouldn’t have been this way from the beginning.  That’s how he always handled it in the first place. Not only is he a lying, whining hypocrite, but he’s also a craven cynic. Fuck him. 

I don't have a problem with pay for play, it just needs to be part of the legislation governing NIL, that's the issue not that it's possible or theres a mechanism to do it right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't have a problem with pay for play, it just needs to be part of the legislation governing NIL, that's the issue not that it's possible or theres a mechanism to do it right now. 

Agree completely- that could just be my autist tendencies coming out though- you know- where I like rules to be set up to actually mean what they say and I like words to have meaning and other crazy shit like that.  It is what it is though- as with the collectives it's clearly pay for play- guys never actually cared about their NIL- that was the camel getting the nose under the tent, and it's stupid that we have to go through a farce about this instead of just calling it what it is and moving on down the line.  As long as us participating in the farce doesn't cause us to fall behind ok cool hookem I guess. 

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Spoken like a true religious zealot. 

Guys getting paid to play has been around since Bud Wilkinson. Saban was the best at it at Bama in a closed game with 10-ish participants. All of it was illegal and most teams chose to standby and play stupid. 

Now guys and girls are legally being paid and you’re bitching about it because original intent is somewhat astray here. Entire rosters of players are being paid, whereas if it was only about NIL for autographs and tv commercials, only the elite players would get a thing, and it’s a problem for you. It’s bizarre.

My outlook is to be happy for the thousands of families whose lives are changing, by people giving happily, and the changing of the landscape from the competitive perspective. 

So, yeah, Saban is fundamentally wrong. Not in that NIL led to pay to play, but that it shouldn’t have been this way from the beginning.  That’s how he always handled it in the first place. Not only is he a lying, whining hypocrite, but he’s also a craven cynic. Fuck him. 

IMO Saban is mad it cut into his bottom line and authority over the team. He's been paying for play for decades and now others are doing it he wants to cry. Fuck em....who gives a shit about initial intent of NIL....it is what it is and have leveled the playing field for a lot of teams when it comes to talent acquisition and retention. If it helps Texas win that is all that should matter....especially if it cuts into the under the table payments and that scene. 

At this point count me in for no legislation, no NCAA rules, nothing on paying players. Once limits are established that’s when Texas gets fucked. We will play by the rules/caps/pay limits and then we are back were we were - playing within the rules while a handful of teams don’t. 

fuck that shit. We are leading the way in the current landscape for once and let’s keep it that way.   

bunch of bitches on here. Jones’ and shit. 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 hours ago, immamac said:

He’s not wrong though. That’s what you are missing. It is pay for play and no one even cares about disguising it as anything else anymore. It’s not about personal brand or effective reach like typical endorsements. It’s straight up roster management done by collectives in a massive pay for play and inducement scheme. 

Just because we are the best at following the letter and rules of the law/compliance doesn’t mean the core of what NIL is supposed to be isn’t trampled on. 

also must suck to be poor. 

It was never going to be endorsements.  It was always going to be pay for play.  Who's to tell someone they're overpaying for a kid's NIL?  That's why the ncaa banned it to begin with.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 10:51 AM, closetojumping said:

2.5 years ago, Saban spoke at the THSCA meeting and casually mentioned that Bryce Young was to get $1M in NIL. He didn’t share that as a wake up call, that “something must be done”. No, he thought he had a handle on this future, and was letting everyone know that his program was still the one place to be. 

How do I feel about Saban’s current blessings? Too bad, so sad. 

Also, I’m pretty sure Bible was using boosters to spread money around the state every bit as much as SMU did. Thing is, until around 1950, it was within the rules. Texas’ “no buying players” ethos was really put in place by Royal. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 4