2022 Masters - The Return of Tiger

Jive Turkey

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

What other player playing right now has won 3 out of 4 events, ascended to W #1, then opened up a 5 shot lead going into the weekend of a major? Can only think of one. 

3 of 5. And I'm not doing the research for you because there's at least a dozen guys out there with similar or better stretches. Scottie and Tiger aren't playing with a bunch of Q school bums. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

3 of 5. And I'm not doing the research for you because there's at least a dozen guys out there with similar or better stretches. Scottie and Tiger aren't playing with a bunch of Q school bums. 

If there was a dozen guys out there with similar stretches, you'd be able to name one off the top of your head. Closest i can think is JT was really hot when he won the PGA. Won a few times in a few months. Definitely not a dozen. Just stop with that ridiculousness.

Edited by Pam Cummings

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

If there was a dozen guys out there with similar stretches, you'd be able to name one off the top of your head. Closest i can think is JT was really hot when he won the PGA. Won a few times in a few months. Definitely not a dozen. Just stop with that ridiculousness.

So you say something ridiculous and then it's up to me to prove how ridiculous it is? For starters - 3 guys out there have won multiple majors in the same calendar year. Not including Tiger. Maybe it's less than a dozen that have had similar runs - you think it's two. For starters, maybe check Rory's 2014 season or Spieth's 2015. 

I'd also wait until Scottie wins the tournament before comparing him to guys like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That big boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not serve brisket next year. Got it? [...] Or dino ribs or whatever the hell they serve.

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Are you talking modern era, or Walter Hagen winning 11 in a row in 1945?
There are very few guys who win 3 in a year, let alone 3 out of 5. 

Arguably Spieth in 2015 finished 1,2,T2,1 (Masters being the 2nd win), then later that year going 1,1,T4,T10,2 (US Open being the first W then ending with a 2 in the PGA)

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So you say something ridiculous and then it's up to me to prove how ridiculous it is? For starters - 3 guys out there have won multiple majors in the same calendar year. Not including Tiger. Maybe it's less than a dozen that have had similar runs - you think it's two. For starters, maybe check Rory's 2014 season or Spieth's 2015. 

I'd also wait until Scottie wins the tournament before comparing him to guys like that. 

Lmao. Can you even break 100? And you're gonna school me about golf? Fuck outta here man.

6 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Are you talking modern era, or Walter Hagen winning 11 in a row in 1945?
There are very few guys who win 3 in a year, let alone 3 out of 5. 

Arguably Spieth in 2015 finished 1,2,T2,1 (Masters being the 2nd win), then later that year going 1,1,T4,T10,2 (US Open being the first W then ending with a 2 in the PGA)

Just talking guys in the field. It isn't a dozen. I just threw a number out there. Maybe seven or eight if you include Tiger.

This was decent. 

Screenshot_20220408-184752-366.thumb.png.d5100f7f90efefb159fb6c6a8147bdd9.png

Pam might not know who Vijay Singh is though. 

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just talking guys in the field. It isn't a dozen. I just threw a number out there. Maybe seven or eight if you include Tiger.

This was decent. 

Screenshot_20220408-184752-366.thumb.png.d5100f7f90efefb159fb6c6a8147bdd9.png

Pam might not know who Vijay Singh is though. 

That was a nice stretch for Vijay and all, but if Scottie wins this week then he blows that shit out of the water.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Tiger making the cut is his victory. Lol at the suggestion of a green vest. He came back from a horrible injury (that was entirely his fault, luckily no one was killed, & yet he didn't even get a speeding ticket) and is gutting out a heroic last stand.

His peg is probably going to be fundamentally fucked after this attempt. He's not gonna get his Hogan moment. But he doesn't need anything else to pad his credentials.

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Tiger making the cut is his victory. Lol at the suggestion of a green vest. He came back from a horrible injury (that was entirely his fault, luckily no one was killed, & yet he didn't even get a speeding ticket) and is gutting out a heroic last stand.

His peg is probably going to be fundamentally fucked after this attempt. He's not gonna get his Hogan moment. But he doesn't need anything else to pad his credentials.

I wouldn't put anything past that competitive mother fucker. Likely? No. Possible? Just maybe. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Walter Hagen winning 11 in a row in 1945?

that was the great Iron Byron Nelson.

as for what Scottie is doing, it's Tiger-esque in the sense that he's the number one golfer in the world, won 3 of his last 5 starts in very different circumstances (shootout in Phoenix (-16), a trainwreck at Bay Hill (-5), and match play), and now he's dominating a damn good field at a major in tough conditions.  it's like Scottie is playing a different course.  hell, it's like he's been playing a different sport.  

if he wins this and has 4 wins through early April, holy hell, that's some heady stuff.

i'd say the last time we saw something like this was Dustin Johnson in 2017.  heading into the Masters, he'd won 3 of his last 4 starts, with a third place in that fourth start.  he went 3 (Pebble), 1 (Genesis), 1 (Mexico), and 1 (match play).  odds on favorite to win at Augusta.  then he "slipped" on the stairs and withdrew because of injury.  what could have been.  i'd still love to know the real story.  nobody buys that it was an accident.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Lmao. Can you even break 100? And you're gonna school me about golf? Fuck outta here man.

Golf fight!
Meme of the day: Golfers are athletes! Lol | Golf Memes ...

Anyone else notice how Scottie Scheffler looks like John Rahm's little brother?

Edited by phdhorn

Scottie is on an all time heater. But a couple months a career,  nor even a year makes. Rory went on a tear for 2 years,  got 100 million from Nike, got disengaged, engaged, married and hasn't really done much since. 

Spieth put together the best 2 years since tiger in 00-02. Got a 100 million from under armour, got married and hasn't done much since. 

Scottie is playing great,  obvious odds on favorite to win now. But this tourney really doesn't start until back nine on Sunday. I hope he keeps it going. He seems like a stud and I dig his unconventional swing. But let's tap the brakes on acting like the past few weeks have been the greatest thing in the history of golf. 

Scottie is on an all time heater. But a couple months a career,  nor even a year makes. Rory went on a tear for 2 years,  got 100 million from Nike, got disengaged, engaged, married and hasn't really done much since. 
Spieth put together the best 2 years since tiger in 00-02. Got a 100 million from under armour, got married and hasn't done much since. 
Scottie is playing great,  obvious odds on favorite to win now. But this tourney really doesn't start until back nine on Sunday. I hope he keeps it going. He seems like a stud and I dig his unconventional swing. But let's tap the brakes on acting like the past few weeks have been the greatest thing in the history of golf. 

And Scottie is already 2 years married so maybe it will be a few more years before the woman mind fucks him.
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, pops said:

Never get married when you're on a roll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For the record... maybe marriage had something to do with it for those guys.... maybe it didn't. But when you get generational money in your early 20s maybe shit just doesn't matter as much. And if scottie keeps doing what he's doing, he's about to get generational money. Takes a different fucking mindset to keep grinding when it literally doesn't matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pops said:

For the record... maybe marriage had something to do with it for those guys.... maybe it didn't. But when you get generational money in your early 20s maybe shit just doesn't matter as much. And if scottie keeps doing what he's doing, he's about to get generational money. Takes a different fucking mindset to keep grinding when it literally doesn't matter. 

But right now he can’t even get a fitted cap from Nike. 

36 minutes ago, pops said:

You have a good overall point. Rory has done plenty since then - just hasn't won another major. I do think he lost a little fire maybe but it's mostly his putting that has escaped him. His swing has remained all-time good for pretty much his entire career.

Koepka is another one that has failed to get another one on the board so far. 

I think the larger point is that winning 5 majors is really fucking hard. Phil was in his late 30s when he got #5 and 50 when he got #6. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You have a good overall point. Rory has done plenty since then - just hasn't won another major. I do think he lost a little fire maybe but it's mostly his putting that has escaped him. His swing has remained all-time good for pretty much his entire career.

Koepka is another one that has failed to get another one on the board so far. 

I think the larger point is that winning 5 majors is really fucking hard. Phil was in his late 30s when he got #5 and 50 when he got #6. 

No question,  rory is still probably my favorite swing on tour. It's perfect. I just wonder how hard it is to keep busting your ass when your bank account is at 9 figures. 

Edit to add:

I just don't know if we will see the killers we used to see. Jack was obviously a killer. Norman was. Faldo was. Palmer and Watson were even if they killed with kindness. I remember when Norman topped Tom kite for all time money winner at 10 million. Shit.... that's probably about what fowler gets a year from rocket mortgage. It's just different now. I have a buddy on tour that only the most in tune would even know and he's won a million bucks this season. Norman was the first to ever win a million in like 90 or 91. It's just different now. And honestly I don't know that we can blame anyone for not having the hunger when they make 5 10 or 20 million a year without even putting a peg in the ground. 

Edited by pops

38 minutes ago, pops said:

No question,  rory is still probably my favorite swing on tour. It's perfect. I just wonder how hard it is to keep busting your ass when your bank account is at 9 figures. 

Edit to add:

I just don't know if we will see the killers we used to see. Jack was obviously a killer. Norman was. Faldo was. Palmer and Watson were even if they killed with kindness. I remember when Norman topped Tom kite for all time money winner at 10 million. Shit.... that's probably about what fowler gets a year from rocket mortgage. It's just different now. I have a buddy on tour that only the most in tune would even know and he's won a million bucks this season. Norman was the first to ever win a million in like 90 or 91. It's just different now. And honestly I don't know that we can blame anyone for not having the hunger when they make 5 10 or 20 million a year without even putting a peg in the ground. 

That's maybe part of it. I also think the tour is just much deeper now. The difference between the top guys and the guys that fill out the field isn't as big as it used to be. I'd blame that asshole Tiger. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pops said:

Edit to add:

Norman won two majors. finished 2nd like 8 or 9 times. He wouldnt be my choice to cite as a "killer". he was a marketing wet dream, however. 

10 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Norman won two majors. finished 2nd like 8 or 9 times. He wouldnt be my choice to cite as a "killer". he was a marketing wet dream, however. 

Maybe. But season money winner and lifetime money winner and most consecutive weeks as number 1 until tiger came along. He shot himself in the foot plenty. But he was the best of the best for a long fucking time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guess I’ll say as tiger is about to tee off, since I opined on Thursday about too much tiger, that him making the cut today is the most impressive thing I’ll see in this tournament. 

I don’t know how long he’s been hitting, I don’t know how long he’s been walking since the accident. Maybe it’s too much hyperbole to say he’s had to figure out how to compete using Corey pavin’s game, but I can’t imagine he is hitting it like he was a year ago and hadn’t had the time on course to really dial in the feel for distances.  Add to that what must be some level of pain from walking and swinging. 

and he’s got nothing to prove to anyone except himself. His mental toughness is unmatched. 

especially in contrast to guys like speith and Rory as posted earlier about the success and money making it tough to maintain that drive to be great. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1