Yo, Bernardette!

RPM

Just another day at the beach in Joisey. But to be fair, she was from Philly.

Police in Wildwood say they have launched an internal affairs investigation after a video depicting an officer punching a 20-year-old Philadelphia woman during her arrest went viral on social media over the weekend.

In a statement Sunday evening, the Wildwood Police Department said the officers involved in the arrest Saturday of Emily Weinman have been reassigned to administrative duties pending the findings of a "full and thorough" investigation, which will be assisted by the Professional Standards Unit of the Cape May County Prosecutor's Office.

In a Facebook post that has since been removed from public view, Weinman said she had alcohol on the beach when officers approached her regarding suspected underage drinking.

Weinman claimed she passed a breathalyzer test and was walking away when officers followed her, prompting her to ask whether they didn't have "something better to do" than stop suspected underage drinkers. She wrote that an officer tackled her after she refused to give police her name and started backing away.

Police said Weinman was charged with two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer, aggravated assault by spitting on an officer, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and being a minor in possession of alcohol.

http://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/index.ssf/2018/05/video_police_punching_woman_sparks_investigation.html

Her resistance may have been prompted by the cop hammering her face with his fist. I would find it difficult to calm down if someone had done that to me and now wanted to cuff my hands behind my back. My brain knows they're the cops and I should comply, but the animal in me might be in fight or flight mode.

I think the new mode of arrest where persons are ordered or forced to the ground is overkill. The cop hitting her in the face when she is clearly no physical threat is criminal, in my opinion. I also wonder if the police know to shout "stop resisting" for the cameras to support their actions later on.

The police have a tough job that's not for everyone. It attracts some of the worst characters as well as some of the best.

I'm pretty open about giving cops the benefit of the doubt, but that was a classic case of a cop losing his cool and using unnecessary force.  They presumably train for much more difficult situations, and should be held to a higher standard -- that guy needs a 3 month vacation without pay.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty open about giving cops the benefit of the doubt, but that was a classic case of a cop losing his cool and using unnecessary force.  They presumably train for much more difficult situations, and should be held to a higher standard -- that guy needs a 3 month vacation without pay.

Vacation ?! Fired is the answer you were grasping for. 

If he would do that in front of the public to a 20 year old kid, imagine what he'd do behind closed doors or out of site of prying camera phones.

Not that this in any way excuses the actions of the popo, but Emily seems to be quite a jewel.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/05/emily-weinman/

This is not Weinman’s first run in with the law and not the first time she’s been combative, according to court documents. In September of 2016, she was arrested and charged with burglary, simple assault, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and recklessly endangering another person. In November of 2017, Weinman pleaded guilty to misdemeanor simple assault and misdemeanor “recklessly endangering another person.” She was sentenced to serve four years of probation and pay just under $10,000 in court costs and restitution.

Borderline personality disorder can be a bitch.

Edited by TwiceHorn

The PD released the body cam footage. Looks like he decided to "drop" her after she passed(?) a breathalizer test but then wouldn't give him her last name and was walking away, while being mouthy. I do like the nj.com logo/catch phrase "True Jersey."

Also, the Mayor of the town sounds like a real charmer:

"Mayor Ernie Troiano Jr. had previously said the videos would probably vindicate the officers. On Tuesday, he defended the police, telling Philly.com that Weinman was “by far the aggressor here” and that women are typically harder to subdue than men.

“I worked as a doorman, a bouncer,” said Troiano, who told Philly.com that his father owned a nightclub. “They can be hard to control. They’re kicking. They don’t care.”

“Everybody’s trying to paint this young lady as an upstanding model citizen,” he said. “She’s on probation for four years. She chose to attack the officer, spit on the officer. Look, I don’t care who you are and what you are, the worst people [to try to subdue] are women.”

link

Edited by 686