Austin -- We are losing this place

DalTxHornFan

On 7/13/2022 at 5:20 PM, chainsaw said:

I have noticed that West Campus has become insanely developed, but it's mostly cookie-cutter retail and restaurants from what I've seen. It's definitely not "The Drag" as we remember it.

The Drag wasn't cool when we went to school. It was just the street across from campus with shops, fast food joints, and Quakenbushes.  Nostalgia made it cool. Nostalgia is the best drug you can take. It removes all the shit and all that's left are magical memories illuminated by golden light.

In 30 years when everything has changed and the now students remember West Campus, nostalgia will make them think what they have now is cool and lament what was lost.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The Drag wasn't cool when we went to school. It was just the street across from campus with shops, fast food joints, and Quakenbushes.  Nostalgia made it cool. Nostalgia is the best drug you can take. It removes all the shit and all that's left are magical memories illuminated by golden light.

In 30 years when everything has changed and the now students remember West Campus, nostalgia will make them think what they have now is cool and lament what was lost.

Same as it ever was.

The "Old Austin" and UT of the 70s/80s/90s that so many surly posters claim is dead, was the nothing more than crappy leftovers of the "Old Austin" and UT of the 50s and 60s, that my parents lament being dead, before I was ever born.

And so it goes.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Same as it ever was.

The "Old Austin" and UT of the 70s/80s/90s that so many surly posters claim is dead, was the nothing more than crappy leftovers of the "Old Austin" and UT of the 50s and 60s, that my parents lament being dead, before I was ever born.

And so it goes.

I agree with this, and I don't dispute that the Drag of the 70s was better than the Drag of the 80s was better than the Drag of the 90s was better than the Drag of the 00s was better than the Drag of the 10s.

However, I don't think the Drag had ever given "dead mall" vibes the way it does now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

It may be "nostalgia", but I'm of the opinion that The Varsity, Les Amis, Mad Dog & Beans, Sound Exchange and The Showdown, etc. constituted a more interesting variety of choice than what's there now.

I thought the Varsity sucked and preferred Tower Records. :) 

And I'm not sure Urban Outfitters is any better or worse than The Gap.

But sure, I think having ANY places that are actually open, would be better than the run-down half-emptiness that's there right now.

I don't know that it's a matter of nearby students and residents not wanting to go to places along the Drag, or if it's that places are just getting priced out due to increasing real estate value and taxes, same as anywhere else in this city.  Maybe a combination of both.

I'm not sure there's any real solution.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure the Drag is gonna be one long strip of condos, and soon.  Typical chain retail on the first floor -- Starbucks, Chipotle, etc.  

That is probably what will happen. At that point, the Drag will become the Damn Shame, because that's what this is.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Texadelphia, especially before the expansion next door. Getting photos processed at the Eckard’s across from the Union. Sound Exchange of course. And $3.71 lunch special at Magic Wok.

The dude who ran that place was definitely a character

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, crash_davis said:

I have a soft spot for this restaurant. We frequent it a lot, still. Food is always good.

I've been a fan of ZTejas for as long as I can remember.  Can't even comprehend the number of meals I've had there.  A friend and I went one last time today, as a tribute to the likely 50+ lunches we've had there over the years - it's her favorite spot and allows dogs, so that's where we ate probably 80% of the time over the past 20 years.

Not a single item was the same recipe as it has been for decades.  Cornbread isn't in the cast iron pan and was flavorless.  Queso was thin, almost white, and had pico in the cheese (like mixed in, not a garnish on top).  She got the artichoke chicken stack and couldn't eat it - the vegetables had a sweet sauce/marinade on them and the sauce for the chicken had a visible layer of grease across the top.  Really disappointing, especially when trying to hit up a favorite spot one last time for the memories. 

33 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I've been a fan of ZTejas for as long as I can remember.  Can't even comprehend the number of meals I've had there.  A friend and I went one last time today, as a tribute to the likely 50+ lunches we've had there over the years - it's her favorite spot and allows dogs, so that's where we ate probably 80% of the time over the past 20 years.

Not a single item was the same recipe as it has been for decades.  Cornbread isn't in the cast iron pan and was flavorless.  Queso was thin, almost white, and had pico in the cheese (like mixed in, not a garnish on top).  She got the artichoke chicken stack and couldn't eat it - the vegetables had a sweet sauce/marinade on them and the sauce for the chicken had a visible layer of grease across the top.  Really disappointing, especially when trying to hit up a favorite spot one last time for the memories. 

I hate that feeling, and I hate even more that I get that feeling more and more often these days.

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds like ZTejas just started buying Chili's/Applebee's shit off the Sysco truck.  That's too bad.  Is their Arboretum location still open?

The one next to Eddie Vs? Nope, shut down last year. I actually bought the huge sunset painting that was over the fireplace and it is hanging in my office. 

Rumor is that Fonda San Miguel is going in there. I assume/hope a 2nd location if that is the case, and not that they are moving. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, hornian said:

The one next to Eddie Vs? Nope, shut down last year. I actually bought the huge sunset painting that was over the fireplace and it is hanging in my office. 

Rumor is that Fonda San Miguel is going in there. I assume/hope a 2nd location if that is the case, and not that they are moving. 

Arboretum is another spot I haven't kept up with but I wouldn't be shocked if it's also dying a bit, which would be a shame. I know Cheesecake Factory and Serrano's or whatever's there now are corny as fuck but overall it was a halfway decent shopping and dining experience that didn't overwhelm the senses the way the Domain does.

Arboretum is another spot I haven't kept up with but I wouldn't be shocked if it's also dying a bit, which would be a shame. I know Cheesecake Factory and Serrano's or whatever's there now are corny as fuck but overall it was a halfway decent shopping and dining experience that didn't overwhelm the senses the way the Domain does.

Other than hitting the Kebab Shop or the Brazilian steak place, I don’t think I’ve been in the Arboretum in a decade. What is even in there other than Barnes and Noble?

42 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Other than hitting the Kebab Shop or the Brazilian steak place, I don’t think I’ve been in the Arboretum in a decade. What is even in there other than Barnes and Noble?

They've got an Orvis, Gap, Pottery Barn, some other shit like that. In terms of food I think there's a Five Guys and an Amy's too. Probably a couple other spots.

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

They've got an Orvis, Gap, Pottery Barn, some other shit like that. In terms of food I think there's a Five Guys and an Amy's too. Probably a couple other spots.

I bet that Barnes and Nobles has a sweetheart lease agreement; that would be an enormous vacancy if they left, both in sq footage and foot traffic.  

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I bet that Barnes and Nobles has a sweetheart lease agreement; that would be an enormous vacancy if they left, both in sq footage and foot traffic.  

Yup. It's tucked way toward the back and not convenient to get to, which I bet helps keep people there. They just need a couple more premier-caliber restaurants and they'll be alright. Not quite as much of a demise as we're seeing on the Drag.

On 7/15/2022 at 1:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It may be "nostalgia", but I'm of the opinion that The Varsity, Les Amis, Mad Dog & Beans, Sound Exchange and The Showdown, etc. constituted a more interesting variety of choice than what's there now.

And add Quackenbush's and the Wooten Barbershop (now closed) and you are right.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:34 AM, crash_davis said:

The Drag on campus and Guad north of campus all the way to 35th are dead. That whole area used to be hopping with UT students.

They really built out West campus. That's where the students congregate now. I think both UT and Austin wanted to keep the students close to West campus and use the other areas (north Guad) for single family homes. I don't think they foresaw retail on Guad struggling as much as it is.

Don't forget back in the day how much real estate was taken up with just bookstores.  Coop, Wallaces, Bevo's, Texas Textbooks.  The demise of the bookstore really changed the landscape.  In the early to mid 80's I was on the Drag in some fashion every day.  Still have my Record Exchange albums with the labels on them.  Was kind of proud that I knew all the Drag Worms that were featured in Slacker.  I contrast that with my kids who just use it as a cut through to campus.  The only place I have heard them mention was the dollar pizza place.  

They tell me that Abel's is closing for a condo development.  

West Campus and the Drag have become home to a lot of young, angry and homeless people.  It's not exactly the best place to hang out after dark.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, hornian said:

"That current Fonda location would be perfect for some shitty cookie cutter condos."

- Austin City Council

On 7/15/2022 at 6:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds like ZTejas just started buying Chili's/Applebee's shit off the Sysco truck.  That's too bad.  Is their Arboretum location still open?

Randy opened a new location across the street from their old one at Avery Ranch & Parmer Lane.

we’ve been several  times for Happy Hour apps (gringo tacos, sliders, & catfish beignets are excellent). But the cornbread is now served in a thin metal pan.

The outdoor patio will be pretty nice whenever the weather turns cooler.

Just now, Armybrat said:

Randy opened a new location earlier this summer across the street from their old one at Avery Ranch & Parmer Lane.

we’ve been several  times for Happy Hour apps (gringo tacos, sliders, & catfish beignets are excellent). But the cornbread is now served in a thin metal pan.

The outdoor patio will be pretty nice whenever the weather turns cooler.

18 hours ago, Deej said:

"That current Fonda location would be perfect for some shitty cookie cutter condos."

- Austin City Council

I had some friends move into some of those and instantly regret it. So many fucking hidden fees and the lease is written in a way that gives you about as much freedom as a child in an orphanage and not, you know, a grown fucking adult with any agency in his own life.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:14 PM, chainsaw said:

I agree with this, and I don't dispute that the Drag of the 70s was better than the Drag of the 80s was better than the Drag of the 90s was better than the Drag of the 00s was better than the Drag of the 10s.

However, I don't think the Drag had ever given "dead mall" vibes the way it does now.

when's the last time you went?  summers are usually more quiet anyway.  maybe i'm in the minority but i never thought the drag was that great (early 2000s). i guess it had its moments. 

On 7/15/2022 at 5:18 PM, Mittens said:

Cornbread isn't in the cast iron pan and was flavorless.  

yup.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

when's the last time you went?  summers are usually more quiet anyway.  maybe i'm in the minority but i never thought the drag was that great (early 2000s). i guess it had its moments. 

yup.  

Been a few weeks and it was half-vacant with hardly any life. I know it's summer, but it was never that dead even in the summers.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

This right here-I matriculated in ‘96 and the drag was bookstores, Eckerd’s, Tower records and some unremarkable restaurants.  Hardly the stuff of nostalgic yearning.   Anyone whose entertainment or social scene had that area as its foundation was missing a ton of fun on West Campus.

This right here-I matriculated in ‘96 and the drag was bookstores, Eckerd’s, Tower records and some unremarkable restaurants.  Hardly the stuff of nostalgic yearning.   Anyone whose entertainment or social scene had that area as its foundation was missing a ton of fun on West Campus.

I somewhat disagree. The Tex on the drag, especially in the 90s, was fucking awesome. Sound exchange was a cool record shop.
  • Hook 'Em 1

what was the name of that coffee shop in between eckerd's and the co-op?  it had a loft.  

the great memories i have involving the drag were great because of the people or circumstances.  i can't really say i spent a lot of time in any one singular establishment.  and even back then the food on the drag was not great.  

28 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what was the name of that coffee shop in between eckerd's and the co-op?  it had a loft.  

the great memories i have involving the drag were great because of the people or circumstances.  i can't really say i spent a lot of time in any one singular establishment.  and even back then the food on the drag was not great.  

It was 24Hr Metro and then became Medici.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

It's more of a vibes thing than an "entertainment or social scene" and that's mostly because it's literally parallel to the campus. It commands (or used to command) a lot of student foot traffic, and if you're an incoming freshman who lives on campus it's one of the first off-campus environments that you interact with as an independent adult away from home.

4 hours ago, chainsaw said:

It was 24Hr Metro and then became Medici.

Before it was Metro, I believe it was Insomnia which was also open 24 hours. I lived at the Woo 94-95 and spent a lot of late nights at Insomnia. The kid who played Hirschfelder in Dazed and Confused worked there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, LCHorn said:

The Drag wasn’t much in the 1960s either.

But I saw the Albert Finney film Tom Jones at the Texas Theater just south of the Coop. Saw The 400 Blows there too.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

The Drag wasn’t much in the 1960s either.

But I saw the Albert Finney film Tom Jones at the Texas Theater just south of the Coop. Saw The 400 Blows there too.

My Pops, who immigrated to Texas in the late 1960s, always loves to talk about how he watched Easy Rider at the Varsity Theater on the Drag while he was he was studying engineering.

My earliest memory of that location was in 1995 before I graduate high school and visiting Austin to meet Henry Rollins and Roky Erickson.  As a spuding young photographer, this is the only shot I got that I was proud of:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My Pops, who immigrated to Texas in the late 1960s, always loves to talk about how he watched Easy Rider at the Varsity Theater on the Drag while he was he was studying engineering.

My earliest memory of that location was in 1995 before I graduate high school and visiting Austin to meet Henry Rollins and Roky Erickson.  As a spuding young photographer, this is the only shot I got that I was proud of:

spacer.png

Tower Records. I was at this. Roky was signing copies of Openers II. 

Edited by Foggy Notion
II
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 1:06 PM, LCHorn said:

I also matriculated in 96. Bought tons of CDs at Sound Exchange. Ate at Texadelphia. Drank at the Showdown and did the shot-walk down to Hole in the Wall. Saw a ton of shows at Hole in the Wall when it was just the front room. Ate a bunch of Reality chicken fried steak sandwiches and chicken wings there. Drank coffee, smoked cigs and studied at Quack's. Would get drunk and go play arcade games at Le Fun. There was fun shit to do for underclassmen that were living in dorms or in West Campus. And yeah, also got my photos developed at Eckard's

Maybe you just weren't doing it right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I also matriculated in 96. Bought tons of CDs at Sound Exchange. Ate at Texadelphia. Drank at the Showdown and did the shot-walk down to Hole in the Wall. Saw a ton of shows at Hole in the Wall when it was just the front room. Ate a bunch of Reality chicken fried steak sandwiches and chicken wings there. Drank coffee, smoked cigs and studied at Quack's. Would get drunk and go play arcade games at Le Fun. There was fun shit to do for underclassmen that were living in dorms or in West Campus. And yeah, also got my photos developed at Eckard's

Maybe you just weren't doing it right?

The Drag used to be pretty awesome for a college kid.

The drag was dead by 98/99 at night for anyone who wasn't a drag rat, le fun and the other arcade only places with people you'd want to visit and they were not busy. The Scientology center had people at it (saw Chris Mihm there when walking by) but even it was not packed.