Who are you rooting for in World Cup?

tantric superman

Pick one team who is presumably your second favorite behind the US.

Me - I'm going for the emotional basket case that is Mexico.

frnXxyM.gif?noredirect

Totally not raised from birth to root for Mexico but that's where the great great grandparents or thereabouts came from. 

Life is like the Mexico team - you do some nice things, but who the fuck are you kidding?

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Iceland. Because Viking clap.

...stolen from Scottish rugby fans who stole it from the Maori Haka that the New Zealand All Blacks perform before each rugby match, but hey...

Let's call it a "Viking clap" even though the Baltics/Northern Atlantic (center of the Viking kingdom) is basically the opposite side of the globe from where that clap originates.

https://www.geodatos.net/en/antipodes/norway/hordaland/bergen 👌

Edited by Napoleon

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

...stolen from Scottish rugby fans who stole it from the Maori Haka that the New Zealand All Blacks perform before each rugby match, but hey...

Let's call it a "Viking clap" even though the Baltics/Northern Atlantic (center of the Viking kingdom) is basically the opposite side of the globe from where that clap originates.

https://www.geodatos.net/en/antipodes/norway/hordaland/bergen 👌

Meh, don't care.  It's cool.  I like cool shit.

Oh, and my serious answer is Argentina.  Folks lived there for a good while, we have good friends there, and Messi.

My primary rooting interest is to see Russia fail to make it out of their rigged group. 

After that, pulling for Iceland.   And I will probably pick another team to root for that has a legit shot but is not necessarily a favorite (so probably Belgium).  

• Like 1

Is rooting for Mexico fine even if one thinks they will lose all three games and end their second round streak at seven? By the way they are the only team with that many second round appearances in a row to not have won the cup during such a streak.

Edited by DanTheHorn

1. aggy opponents

2. Engerland - my 2nd allegiance after the nats

3. The Dog - but I think the side he picked is going to fold in the quarters

4. vlad opponents

5. Portugal - but only until the final and only if the final will be against The Dog - the moment The Dog is out, i want CRbaby out too

6. Iceland, bandwagon (but they are getting slaughtered in group, The Dog is going to cut them open on matchday 1, and they will not recover)

7. Egypt/Salah

8. Australia - 4th allegiance

9. tico opponents

10. Sweden - tits

T-11. Japan & South Korea

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Wow.  Shocked.  Seriously?  Massive OP fail.

el Tri are aggy.  Full aggy.

I have always said I know what it is like to be a champion (I am a Texas fan) and what it is like to be a an aggy (I am a Mexico fan). Full of unrealistic expectations, loyal and see the fan base go wild over minor feats but never really getting anything achieved. See streak above as example.

Example: The saying of fans of "Empate con sabor a victoria" versus Belgium in 1998. "A tie that taste like victory". Only aggy and Mexico can have that kind of a saying.

oh, and predictions...

restating, i want a Argentina/Portugal final......

but to quote/fark Sepp Herberger...

"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, and everything else is pure theory....  except that in the end, the Germans always win."

Although, they didn't quite make it to Moscow the last time around.  But Napoleon did, even if he barely made it home alive.

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I have always said I know what it is like to be a champion (I am a Texas fan) and what it is like to be a an aggy (I am a Mexico fan). Full of unrealistic expectations, loyal and see the fan base go wild over minor feats but never really getting anything achieved. See streak above as example.

Example: The saying of fans of "Empate con sabor a victoria" versus Belgium in 1998. "A tie that taste like victory". Only aggy and Mexico can have that kind of a saying.

well, fellow horn, don't take this personally, but i think mexico are aggy because they are lying, cheating, stealing fucktards.

i laughed with joy when robben went down, and still get a smile on my face to this day, when i think of that play, that game, and that day.

13 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

He's only been supporting them since the HornFans days.

Yes I have, one of my first post was being a troll for Mexico. Boy did I get hammered. Hell when we won the baseball championship years later and I posted I was happy about the Longhorn championship somebody still told me to GFY over that early post in a baseball thread.

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

well, fellow horn, don't take this personally, but i think mexico are aggy because they are lying, cheating, stealing fucktards.

i laughed with joy when robben went down, and still get a smile on my face to this day, when i think of that play, that game, and that day.

I can't enjoy the USA v Mexico rivalry the way others can since I root for the US when they are not playing Mexico. I remember being frustrated that it seemed I was the only one that was walking around pissed off that the USA lost to Iran in the world cup many world cups ago.