2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Interesting, Yordan directly contradicted Dusty after the game. Said he's not sore and was under the impression this was just a regular day off and he plans to play tomomrrow. Dusty specifically said pre-game that Yordan was sore and being held out as a precaution,

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They probably weren't clear with Yordan that it was a precautionary rest and I'm sure he doesn't like taking days off.  Chandler Rome is never one to miss an opportunity to stir shit.

per the source, im leaning towards rome stirring up shit. another reason why he's ignored in the clubhouse 

• Hook 'Em 3

ok, now it's time for fun with records.

the 2022 houston astros are 93-50.  43 games over .500 which is the high water mark of the season and dating back to 2019.  we're also over .500 as a franchise, blah blah (3 games?).

we are 6.5 games up on the yankees for the 1 seed in the al + the tie-breaker with 19 games left to play.

a 7-12 record will get us to 100 wins for the 4th time in our last 5 eligible seasons.

14-5 would tie the 2019 team record for 107 team wins.  15-4 would break that record.

we are 34-18 since the asb, which includes an embarrassing 3 game sweep to oakland, and a 2-series stretch of 7 games vs atl and cws where the bullpen couldn't get anybody out.  we went 3-4 but it felt much worse.  since sat, august 20th (g2 vs atl which we lost in 11), we are 16-5 and the bullpen has been pretty much lights out.

a lot of those stretches, most notably the 16-5 have been done without key parts like jv, aledmys, yordan (sort of), pressly, and so forth.  point is, we could be doing even better.

we're 9-3 in sept and have allowed 29 runs in those 12 games.  i know some are unearned but i'm not looking that up.

also as a sidenote, there's this:

image.jpeg.27f4a517c1b0cdbc057a17517f4494d3.jpeg

not bad for sept 14th. 

if you count baltimore, we still have the majority of our games vs teams still playing for something.  in the meantime, let's go fuck up oakland and start clinching some shit.  

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

strange how Javier with 2.87 ERA is 9-9 on a 93-50 team.  

which once again begs the question - in a standard playoff format, who is more suited to start games and who is more suited to come in to pitch 2+ (and possibly even finish a game out 2017 style)?

jv and framber are obviously sp1 and sp2.  after that, i think urquidy might be my sp3, whereas brown, javier, and mccullers might have the stuff to go 2-3 innings, be nasty, and potentially finish out a game.  i still don't know who your g4 starter is or where garcia belongs.  i would probably prefer 2 of those guys tandem up in a g4 over garcia.

we have 7 legit sp right now, and had to trade odorizzi just to get down to that number.  i don't miss him, but he had a stretch of pretty good pitching this season.

to add - my least favorite aspect of these playoff series is when a team (sometimes us) gets to the point where they only trust 2-3 guys out of the pen, and you seem to see them every night.  that's when shit goes bad.  i would love to go into an urquidy start saying, give us 5-6ip, allow 2-3 runs, and then we'll bring in one guy to go 3-4.  would be great to have a game to rest all the high leverage bullpen guys, even though we have 3-5 that i actually trust.  crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What’s funny about that is that you look at it and think- oh- that’s a pretty good rotation. You got a CY young guy (JV) an all star type (LMJ) a solid #3 (a Urquidy) and a dude that’s pretty damn good as a 4 or 5 type (Garcia), and the numbers all back that up. 
If that was your rotation and you had a rotating cast of AAAA types, openers, bulk guys, bullpen games etc you’d say- not bad on the pitching thing- that’s a clear playoff team that has a top 5-8 staff in the league. 
but no- what’s not pictured for us is a top 5 cy young guy who leads the league in innings pitched and just set the all time record for quality starts, a future all star currently sporting an era below 3 and a whip below 1, and the likely ROY favorite who has everyone in baseball drooling. 
It’s truly absurd what we have going on right now as a starting pitching staff. Like, maybe the greatest deep staff ever, but also not lacking in top end fire power either. 
JL was a witch. It makes me sad that he and Crane broke up. Every single one of those guys was a JL move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

per the source, im leaning towards rome stirring up shit. another reason why he's ignored in the clubhouse 

EXACTLY. 

Fuck Chandler Rome, he is such a clout-chasing twatweasel. He repeatedly goes out of his way to poke Dusty and the Astros front office with his all-too-obvious sarcastic, cowardly tweets. He is very much following the Evan Drellich path to relevancy in the baseball writers circle jerk.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, runthebone said:

You read this McTaggart article, and we sound royally fucked in the ALDS:

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/astros-potential-2022-playoff-opponents

we play who we play. the target is on our back, we are the king of the hill. bats need to show up

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

Edited by tx 3 putt