2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m inclined to keep Odo. A and AA players should be the meat of any Astros trade. 

I could be completely wrong but I don't think he is a player that will help in the playoffs so I would be inclined to trade him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I could be completely wrong but I don't think he is a player that will help in the playoffs so I would be inclined to trade him.

And you want to get out of his 12 million or so owed next year (or 6 million for buyout) as we’ve got some holes to fill, a JV raise and some arbitration guys. 
And he can replenish our farm system. 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Anything on the Astros and Tuck contract negotiations?

Nothing recent. Tucker not one of those guys that’s like- I have to have it now or not talk. He was pretty chill and said they’d talked, they were not super close but he’d be fine resuming talks any time they wanted to and there was a long time to get something done. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

At what opportunity cost though in a potential trade and how does he fit in with this starting depth and bullpen?

He’s not the model of health, but I like a somewhat consistent veteran on a pretty young staff. I always have worry about injuries. 

I agree Odo doesn’t do much for the team in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s not the model of health, but I like a somewhat consistent veteran on a pretty young staff. I always have worry about injuries. 

I agree Odo doesn’t do much for the team in the playoffs. 

100% this. You have to navigate 162 games to get to the playoffs.  That takes different pieces than needed for a playoff roster.  The 2017 team could have gone off of the rails in July and August due to SP injuries, but we had the Rat to eat innings at an MLB average level and tread water to keep the lead that was built early in the season.  

40 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

100% this. You have to navigate 162 games to get to the playoffs.  That takes different pieces than needed for a playoff roster.  The 2017 team could have gone off of the rails in July and August due to SP injuries, but we had the Rat to eat innings at an MLB average level and tread water to keep the lead that was built early in the season.  

I'm not sure I would say Fiers was "MLB average level" but your point still remains. He was definitely able to eat some innings which is what we needed. 

Traditionally I would agree, however our last few playoff runs have forced me to change my tune. I think the most valuable playoff asset these days are pitchers that you can trust to give you 3+ innings if needed. Our current roster (including LMJ) has at least 7 guys that would be the third starter or better on most teams, which I don’t think anyone can match.

Everyone fantasizes about the games where the ace goes 7, but forget that most of these teams are into the bullpen by the 4th.

1 minute ago, rvm96 said:

Not an error

I saw that afterwards.  I guess it wasn’t an ordinary effort play but it wasn’t that extraordinary either and it’s a ball that gets caught 8 or 9 out of 10. 
He and every other OF (non Brantley or Alvarez edition) will tell you that’s a play that ought to be made. 
I guess technically they didn’t charge Odo with an error either?  That damn sure should have been. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I saw that afterwards.  I guess it wasn’t an ordinary effort play but it wasn’t that extraordinary either and it’s a ball that gets caught 8 or 9 out of 10. 
He and every other OF (non Brantley or Alvarez edition) will tell you that’s a play that ought to be made. 
I guess technically they didn’t charge Odo with an error either?  That damn sure should have been. 

The Odo play was close at the bag so it's a single and then since the runners advanced it becomes an error on that part.

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

His metrics are pretty decent right? 
I know that many people want 3 year samples to feel confident in the defensive numbers. 
that catch should be made. 

I don’t know his metrics but, in general,  I don’t think defensive stats tell the whole story. I do know he often gets bad jumps, takes bad routes, throws to wrong bases and looks awkward on even routine plays. 

Edited by TonyTexas