2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume Garcia is the odd man out? What’s his new role? 

Probably the 6th and 7th inning guy in Javier or LMJ starts? 
I hope they don’t move Javier to the bullpen….unless that’s how they plan to use him in the postseason, which I’m sure I agree with 

19 minutes ago, APMP said:

Would have thought we see another start or two from LMJ before going to a 5 man rotation.

It’s the right time with the off days coming up

The alternative is that guys go a week between starts and Idk that you want that heading in to October when there are limited off days before the world series

48 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

October 1, 1998: Bill Spiers' walk-off single ties the NLDS in Game Two –  Society for American Baseball Research

The great Bill Spiers. Honestly I think of him as a 3B

Adam Everett was probably the greatest Astros SS before Correa. Yes I know about the bat, but his defense was probably as good as anyone in baseball since peak Ozzie Smith. Not sure if defensive stats were good enough to capture his awesomeness. 

• Like 1

Loved Spiers.

My Everett story:  waiting behind the dugout before a game at St. Louis, some kid asks Everett "are you a starter?"

I say, "Kid, this is the best defensive shortstop in baseball."  Everett looks at the kid and says (like the Bud Light commercial):  Yes I Am!

He was. Also went from the Astros to the Twins.

Edited by runthebone

Man, I hope we see him and Brown on the big club in a week. As Wulaw mentioned a while back, Diaz would be a great addition to the playoff roster as another bat as well as emergency catcher. I’m afraid that Click doesn’t want to make the 40 man roster moves needed to make it happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, runthebone said:

So you do the standard Astros injury conversion and get 2 seasons.

Counterpoint: 

Astros: "Yordan's hand is fine, x-rays were negative and he's in the lineup tonight."

Surly: "Yordan needs rest, his hand is clearly still bothering him."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Man, I hope we see him and Brown on the big club in a week. As Wulaw mentioned a while back, Diaz would be a great addition to the playoff roster as another bat as well as emergency catcher. I’m afraid that Click doesn’t want to make the 40 man roster moves needed to make it happen. 

Yeah- with zero need for any more then 12 pitchers and with the ability to go real specific in your matchup machinations a 3rd catcher as an emergency is huge, especially if you insist on starting maldy. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The great Bill Spiers. Honestly I think of him as a 3B

Adam Everett was probably the greatest Astros SS before Correa. Yes I know about the bat, but his defense was probably as good as anyone in baseball since peak Ozzie Smith. Not sure if defensive stats were good enough to capture his awesomeness. 

Baseball reference has since changed the way they calculate their dWAR, but Everett had the greatest dWAR season (2006) of all time using their old calculations. It is now listed at 4.1 dWAR, but before it was over 6.

grrr. Annoyed at that first road trip. PNC in early April. That park is high on my list for those I haven’t been to, but April weather in Pittsburgh seems… not fun. And at Minny the series before? Get ready for some fucked up make up games late in the year due to postponements from that trip.

Early June trip to Toronto would be fun 

meh on the other NL Central trips, but do love playing everyone again 

12/13 games vs each AL West opponent will be sooo much better than 19.

Edited by UTexasFight

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

grrr. Annoyed at that first road trip. PNC in early April. That park is high on my list for those I haven’t been to, but April weather in Pittsburgh seems… not fun. And at Minny the series before? Get ready for some fucked up make up games late in the year due to postponements from that trip.

Early June trip to Toronto would be fun 

meh on the other NL Central trips, but do love playing everyone again 

12/13 games vs each AL West opponent will be sooo much better than 19.

Feeling this one a lot. 

Anyone seen anything on what set Altuve off last night? He's been plunked so many time without reacting. 

That was the first time I’ve seen him really stare down a pitcher like that at the plate. When he was trotting down to first he looked back and Sanchez was staring him down and then threw his arms up as if to say “what’s up?”
Altuve did the same thing and said “ what are you looking at?” “I didn’t say anything .” I don’t think there is history between the two but I’m willing to bet it’s because Sanchez sucks donkey dick.