Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Lots to unpack here this afternoon.

1. This is how shit works when you don’t have a dumb fuck inbred cousin like aggy being involved.

2. They all want to blame Texas on this still, but in truth the P10 being unwilling to accept the LHN years ago is what caused all of this… 

3. The phones are going to be ringing like crazy the next few weeks at both the SEC and B10 HQs, and don’t think the ACC schools aren’t looking around. The B10 wants ND, but not sure who it takes to get there at this point.

4. Maybe we need to thank aggy for being aggy because if they didn’t try to foolishly torpedo our SEC move the CFP deal would have been signed and the it would be unlikely to see any sitting P5 conference get clipped. How it looks like we may finally see the P5 constrict to the P4.

5. The B10 are some ruthless fuckers. Drove the bus on the bill shit “Alliance” and then just ripped the heart out of the Pac12 and wants to grab ND from the ACC.

6. Funny how even with all levers being in favor for the B10 that it is going to take more of than USC and UCLA to offset the add of UT and OU to the SEC.

7. I pity the new commissioner of the  B12 because now UT and OU are about to walk in and say we are gone in 23 and if you want to fight us we have enough pull in the state leg that the rest of the Texas schools are leaving to the PAC 12.

8. Who really thinks that the B12 has more brand value without UT and OU vs a Pac12 with USC and UCLA. That should tell you how bad of a spot the new B12 adds are.

9. The blessed anal before marriage Mormons may finally get that Pac12 spot they always wanted…

Enjoy the shit show. I’ve had a few to many beers and to much sun at the beach and it’s about time to get turned down by the wife because wife because she had a sun burn…

and never forget…1945427331_Cougarbehindglass.png.18e4f3b40843c4dffad589140d735662.png1520564674_Dogood.gif.eaf90c2da94d7c2285e58cf882a7c45a.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, LTbear said:

They want money and Oregon will likely be next on the totem pole in additional revenue. Pods/ divisions are going away anyway. 

Oregon is hot this decade, but UW is the money.  And USC and UCLA are likely to ask for Cal and Stanford and the Big may want the Bay area.  Eugene, not so much.

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It will give them competitive money for those sports.

Besides the Big 10 may suck at baseball but it isn't like they suck at everything that isn't football.

The B1G is tops in fat, ugly coeds. 

USC and UCLA will be sorely out of place. 

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

...and Texas is chasing A&M to the SEC. 

You know how I know you are a fucking idiot?

33 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

How many teams will be left when the dust settles in a few years? I think there's a way for all the teams to still have some involvement. I will explain that at the end of this list.

Here's my list of the top 32 programs and a list if it goes to 48. There's some debate if it goes to 48, but not much debate if it stops at 32. I guess one could debate Arizona State, but that's about it. The top 32 at least come close to carrying their own weight. Everyone below that line is losing money for the conference, but could have some indirect benefits. You want to keep the whole country involved. 

I put teams in red that are not currently in the SEC or B1G. Looks like we have nine (9) top 32 teams still out there. Six (6) of them in the ACC and three (3) in the PAC.

(3) Notre Dame, (14)Florida State, (15) Oregon, (19) Miami, (20) UNC, (22) Washington, (26) Clemson, (27) Virginia Tech, (31) Arizona State

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame 

4. Michigan

5. Penn State 

6. Florida

7. Georgia

8. Alabama

9. Wisconsin

10. Oklahoma

11. USC

12. LSU

13. Oregon

14. Tennessee

15. TAMU

16. Florida State

17. Auburn

18. Michigan State

19. Miami

20. North Carolina

21. South Carolina

22. Missouri

23. Nebraska

24. Washington

25. Iowa

26. UCLA

27. Clemson

28. Virginia Tech

29. Arkansas

30. Ole Miss

31. Kentucky

32. Arizona State

- B1G would take AAU/basketball power Arizona over State. ASU may be a casualty here.

The possibilities to get to 48: (need 16 from this list)

Will they make it? Who gets in? Is the number 32? 40? 48?

1. West Virginia

2. Maryland

3. Minnesota

4. Colorado

5. Utah

6. Rutgers

7. Oklahoma State

8. Cal

9. Texas Tech

10. Louisville

11. Arizona

12. Illinois

13. Stanford

14. UVA

15. Iowa State

16. Georgia Tech

17. TCU

18. Pitt

19. Indiana

Thoughts:

- Washington State and Oregon State aren't making the cut.

- Wake Forest, Boston College and Baylor are out.

- I don't see Kansas and Kansas State making the cut. Kansas has no one to blame but themselves for letting their football program fall so far in the gutter

- Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are being propped up by their membership. Will there be a purge?

- Stanford, like Arizona, may get in if the B1G still values AAU over $$$

- Could Stanford be a requirement for the B1G to get Notre Dame?

- Pitt, TCU and Iowa State are sitting on thin ice. They could be fighting for a spot, if it goes to 48. Iowa State has a passionate fanbase.

- If Duke gets in, it's because UNC made it happen. 

- NC State has fallen way off in the internet age.

- BYU has a Sunday issue

I think some of these teams that don't make it will join up with former AAC schools and that is going to be a very competitive, fun conference to follow. I would love for them to start their season a couple of weeks early in the summer, maybe play one less regular season game than the other super conference(s) and then have their own playoff. If the winner of their playoff is good enough, that team should have the opportunity to qualify for the national championship playoff. I think TV numbers will go way up with the super conferences, if it done correctly. There will be way more competitive matchups week-to-week and, if done creatively, everyone is still involved in the process.

Seth Meyers Weighing Options GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

2 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

The media aspects of this round of realignment will be very interesting to follow.  I’ve been wondering when Apple and Amazon will make a play for college sports rights.

this just made Apple TV's acquisition of MLS media rights that much more interesting.  Apple TV signed a 10 year deal to show all MLS games.  Apple TV wants to show every other pro and college league that they can deliver quality content.  now they really need to deliver because, if they can, that will open up other opportunities, like college football programming.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/06/apple-and-mls-to-present-all-mls-matches-for-10-years-beginning-in-2023/

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this just made Apple TV's acquisition of MLS media rights that much more interesting.  Apple TV signed a 10 year deal to show all MLS games.  Apple TV wants to show every other pro and college league that they can deliver quality content.  now they really need to deliver because, if they can, that will open up other opportunities, like college football programming.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/06/apple-and-mls-to-present-all-mls-matches-for-10-years-beginning-in-2023/

Tren Griffin tweeting about conference realignment and media rights.  That’s something I didn’t see coming. 🤣

1 hour ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

How many teams will be left when the dust settles in a few years? I think there's a way for all the teams to still have some involvement. I will explain that at the end of this list.

Here's my list of the top 32 programs and a list if it goes to 48. There's some debate if it goes to 48, but not much debate if it stops at 32. I guess one could debate Arizona State, but that's about it. The top 32 at least come close to carrying their own weight. Everyone below that line is losing money for the conference, but could have some indirect benefits. You want to keep the whole country involved. 

I put teams in red that are not currently in the SEC or B1G. Looks like we have nine (9) top 32 teams still out there. Six (6) of them in the ACC and three (3) in the PAC.

(3) Notre Dame, (14)Florida State, (15) Oregon, (19) Miami, (20) UNC, (22) Washington, (26) Clemson, (27) Virginia Tech, (31) Arizona State

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame 

4. Michigan

5. Penn State 

6. Florida

7. Georgia

8. Alabama

9. Wisconsin

10. Oklahoma

11. USC

12. LSU

13. Oregon

14. Tennessee

15. TAMU

16. Florida State

17. Auburn

18. Michigan State

19. Miami

20. North Carolina

21. South Carolina

22. Missouri

23. Nebraska

24. Washington

25. Iowa

26. UCLA

27. Clemson

28. Virginia Tech

29. Arkansas

30. Ole Miss

31. Kentucky

32. Arizona State

- B1G would take AAU/basketball power Arizona over State. ASU may be a casualty here.

1. West Virginia

2. Maryland

3. Minnesota

4. Colorado

5. Utah

6. Rutgers

7. Oklahoma State

8. Cal

9. Texas Tech

10. Louisville

11. Arizona

12. Illinois

13. Stanford

14. UVA

15. Iowa State

16. Georgia Tech

17. TCU

18. Pitt

19. Indiana

Thoughts:

- I don't see Kansas and Kansas State making the cut. Kansas has no one to blame but themselves for letting their football program fall so far in the gutter

- Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are being propped up by their membership. Will there be a purge?

- Pitt, TCU and Iowa State are sitting on thin ice. They could be fighting for a spot, if it goes to 48. Iowa State has a passionate fanbase.

- BYU has a Sunday issue

I think some of these teams that don't make it will join up with former AAC schools and that is going to be a very competitive, fun conference to follow. I would love for them to start their season a couple of weeks early in the summer, maybe play one less regular season game than the other super conference(s) and then have their own playoff. If the winner of their playoff is good enough, that team should have the opportunity to qualify for the national championship playoff. I think TV numbers will go way up with the super conferences, if it done correctly. There will be way more competitive matchups week-to-week and, if done creatively, everyone is still involved in the process.

So, before getting giddy as fuck, can we figure out how trimming down to 32 teams actually helps the sport? I am unaware of any other business where they say, let's reduce our TAM because we want less potential customers. And yes, you are going to lose fan interest, tv viewers, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

So, before getting giddy as fuck, can we figure out how trimming down to 32 teams actually helps the sport? I am unaware of any other business where they say, let's reduce our TAM because we want less potential customers. And yes, you are going to lose fan interest, tv viewers, etc.

Because you're basically firing your salesmen that have half the accounts your top tier guys have yet pay them the same salary. You're now cutting out the overhead and giving your top guys a raise. 

21 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

1. Ohio State

2. Texas

3. Notre Dame 

4. Michigan

5. Penn State 

6. Florida

7. Georgia

8. Alabama

9. Wisconsin

10. Oklahoma

11. USC

12. LSU

13. Oregon

14. Tennessee

15. TAMU

16. Florida State

17. Auburn

18. Michigan State

19. Miami

20. North Carolina

21. South Carolina

22. Missouri

23. Nebraska

24. Washington

25. Iowa

26. UCLA

27. Clemson

28. Virginia Tech

29. Arkansas

30. Ole Miss

31. Kentucky

32. Arizona State

1. West Virginia

2. Maryland

3. Minnesota

4. Colorado

5. Utah

6. Rutgers

7. Oklahoma State

8. Cal

9. Texas Tech

10. Louisville

11. Arizona

12. Illinois

13. Stanford

14. UVA

15. Iowa State

16. Georgia Tech

17. TCU

18. Pitt

19. Indiana

Thoughts:

- BYU has a Sunday issue

Big Ten wants AAU schools.

The list of P5 non B1G/SEC AAU schools: Duke, Georgia Tech, Stanford, Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Kansas, UNC, Oregon, Pitt, Utah, Virginia, Washington

The Big Ten also wants big fans bases and media markets so they’ll make exceptions for: Notre Dame, Boston College, Miami, Syracuse, Arizona St

I’d also not 100% rule out them going after Oklahoma/Mizzou in an attempt at getting the best of the Big 8 gang back together as a bridge to their new Western flank (OU, CU, NU, KU, MU).

Most likely scenario, whatever it take for ND, fortify western flank with UO/UW and possibly more, and maybe make a play for UNC/UVA.

The SEC wants geographically close schools with large fan bases in the Central or Eastern time zone that are good at football and/or bring at good contingent of “other” to the table (academic, markets, basketball).

List of non SEC/B1G that fit in order of most wins: Notre Dame, Florida St, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Pitt, UNC, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma St, Louisville, Virginia, NC State, Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Iowa St, Wake Forest (after UNC most are extreme long shots, save UVA, Duke, Kansas)

Most likely scenario: FSU/Clemson are virtual locks, then the SEC makes a play for UNC/UVA by offering to take their partners Duke/VT…successful or not then who knows..?..lock out Big Ten from moving South by locking down Miami/GT, grab more territory with West Virginia/Pitt, or try to make Oklahoma/Mizzou feel more at home by bringing in Oklahoma State/Kansas (Bedlam/Border War), settle for NCSU/VT if they can’t pull in UNC/UVA, lots of options.

So both lists have 20 schools and some overlap, these 8 are they only ones they may be fighting over:

ND (obvious top piece on the board, likely Big Ten or bust/stay independent for them)

UNC, UVA, Duke (both would take these, likely the biggest remaining flashpoint in realignment outside of whether of not ND joins the B1G)

GT, Miami (next tier may be more or less desired depending on how much expansion is going on)

Pitt, Kansas (filler that both would accept to round out numbers)

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Because you're basically firing your salesmen that have half the accounts your top tier guys have yet pay them the same salary. You're now cutting out the overhead and giving your top guys a raise. 

You're missing the point. Cutting out 2/3 or your market means you are going to have 2/3 or so less advertising dollars to fund this the next go round - the remaining accounts are going to be fighting over a smaller pie. There's an old saying about how you can't cut your way to profitability. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

Do you like watching USC play Oregon St?  Or Clemson play Wake Forest? Other than an in state rivalry game most people don’t give a shit about most of these secondary schools and the viewership numbers show that.  Some solid schools like Oklahoma State will get left out and college football may forever lose those viewers but more casual fans will tune in to see USC play Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St than they would to see them play Oregon St, Wazzu, Arizona St.  They might lose 3 million hard core OrSU, WSU, ASU fans but will likely gain more viewers that may not had ever wanted to watch previously. And yes I know the Big Ten has uninteresting schools like Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue too, but lowering the total number of uninteresting schools in major college football is only going to increase interest and revenue for the majority.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Do you like watching USC play Oregon St?  Or Clemson play Wake Forest? Other than an in state rivalry game most people don’t give a shit about most of these secondary schools and the viewership numbers show that.  Some solid schools like Oklahoma State will get left out and college football may forever lose those viewers but more casual fans will tune in to see USC play Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St than they would to see them play Oregon St, Wazzu, Arizona St.  They might lose 3 million hard core OrSU, WSU, ASU fans but will likely gain more viewers that may not had ever wanted to watch previously. And yes I know the Big Ten has uninteresting schools like Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue too, but lowering the total number of uninteresting schools in major college football is only going to increase interest and revenue for the majority.

And like I said, I think the teams that get left out can still have a seat at the table to a degree. I know I will be much more interested in watching those teams because their games will be much more competitive. I think fans of the bubble teams are in panic mode and overreacting. Everything is going to work out just fine for all involved. Live TV brings in big bucks, it just needs to be interesting. In the case of college football, it just needs to be exciting and competitive. No one is going to lose here.

I've been the biggest fan I know for 40+ years and my interest has gone way downhill because the sport isn't very competitive like it used to be...and it's the same 4 or 5 teams every year right now. And they all try to avoid competition when scheduling. It's not fun right now.

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

but will likely gain more viewers that may not had ever wanted to watch previously. 

This is where we basically disagree...There aren't going to be many casual fans who aren't already watching, say, 'I really want to watch that UCLA-Mich St game.' Sports already have a demographics problem and this won't help once the OG starts dying off. Kids today barely care about sports, let alone watching cfb. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

You're missing the point. Cutting out 2/3 or your market means you are going to have 2/3 or so less advertising dollars to fund this the next go round - the remaining accounts are going to be fighting over a smaller pie. There's an old saying about how you can't cut your way to profitability. 

Arizona St will most likely be part of the "club" lucky for you your school is in the 10th largest metro area in the US. In another thread it showed how the top 16 schools make up over 50% of the market in fan following. So cutting out the dead weight doesn't represent 2/3 of the market. More like 1/3. 

All of these schools should really take a long hard look in the mirror. They have themselves and their alumni to blame (ASU included) ASU has a gigantic student population and some pretty solid local talent (thank you for Bijan) and had failed mightily to capitalize on that since that Jake Plummer 96 Rose Bowl. The alumni and students didn't/ don't have the passion and buy in to want to be a football power. 

The crazy thing is ASU is a sleeping giant type of school. Problem is, they just never woke up. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Asu2215 said:

This is where we basically disagree...There aren't going to be many casual fans who aren't already watching, say, 'I really want to watch that UCLA-Mich St game.' Sports already have a demographics problem and this won't help once the OG starts dying off. Kids today barely care about sports, let alone watching cfb. 

I know plenty of fans from the old left behind SWC schools that still rooted for their teams (TCU, SMU, RICE, UH) but also became fans of the schools that moved onto the B12 (Texas, aggy, tech), many TCU fans I know liked and watched Texas until they were invited back into the Big 12.  Will it happen over night? Obviously not but sports nuts are sports nuts and they’ll watch again and find a team to cheer for (or against, see Dallas Cowboy viewership/fans).

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I know plenty of fans from the old left behind SWC schools that still rooted for their teams (TCU, SMU, RICE, UH) but also became fans of the schools that moved onto the B12 (Texas, aggy, tech), 

I have not seen many fans like this at all. Just the opposite in fact. Looks at this board. When the Horns aren't doing well you see a lot of folks going to their kids soccer games, doing yardwork, etc. Let's say OSU and WSU drop football (extreme example), some will root for UO and UW, but do you think there will be a net gain or a net loss in fans (viewership).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

I have not seen many fans like this at all. Just the opposite in fact. Looks at this board. When the Horns aren't doing well you see a lot of folks going to their kids soccer games, doing yardwork, etc. Let's say OSU and WSU drop football (extreme example), some will root for UO and UW, but do you think there will be a net gain or a net loss in fans (viewership).

Oregon State and Washington State aren't dropping football.

You really think 100,000,000 fans divided by 40 teams is worse than 115,000,000 fans divided by 75 teams

5 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

The numbers and stats just don't agree with what you're saying. When bluebloods or ranked teams play, the ratings flow in. Clemson's fanbase just picked up tons of new fans. And I can tell you for damn sure there were hardly any Alabama A's on the back windows of trucks pre 2010 in Texas like there are now. 

Nobody gives a rip about Sun Devils football, not even their own fans..... 

https://youtu.be/Oz0kApIqXio

Where y'all at? This is the GD season opener after the covid year wtf......

3 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Oregon State and Washington State aren't dropping football.

You really think 100,000,000 fans divided by 40 teams is worse than 115,000,000 fans divided by 75 teams

OSU/WSU to essentially 1-AA. Yeah, those fans are more likely to skip out on USC-Indiana and head down to the coast. 

And yes, I think 40 teams is absolutly worse than 75 teams. I don't want to see a landscape where BYU, Colorado, Ga Tech, and Virginia can't compete for a national championship. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

The numbers and stats just don't agree with what you're saying. When bluebloods or ranked teams play, the ratings flow in. Clemson's fanbase just picked up tons of new fans. And I can tell you for damn sure there were hardly any Alabama A's on the back windows of trucks pre 2010 in Texas like there are now. 

Nobody gives a rip about Sun Devils football, not even their own fans..... 

https://youtu.be/Oz0kApIqXio

Where y'all at? This is the GD season opener after the covid year wtf......

Actually, you are wrong. People are getting sick of the same teams playing for the natty. Logically, does it make sense to you that reducing the number of teams will increase the pool of potential pool of viewers? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Actually, you are wrong. People are getting sick of the same teams playing for the natty. Logically, does it make sense to you that reducing the number of teams will increase the pool of potential pool of viewers? 

See we have the same problem. We're college football fans. None of this is about or for fans of college football. It's about getting name a against name b to play each other so generic NFL numnut is more likely to tune in. The big schools get a shit ton of cash and more publicity so it's a win for them. The only losers are those of us that love the game for more than the hunt for the playoffs.

We'd love watching Texas Tech play Arizona at midnight, but we aren't most people and money just cares about getting the most people.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

You're missing the point, the road is about to get a lot harder. The days of undefeated teams in college football is over. Again, ASU has a huge enrollment and an endowment bigger than LSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Yet your fans don't care about your football program. Why? 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

Decreasing the pool for the national championship absolutely increases the pool of national championship contenders. It will make the games more competitive. Teams avoid competition right now.

BYU, Colorado, Ga Tech, and Virginia will never compete for a national championship in today's college football. The days of regional games, Prop 48s, under the radar 5-star recruits and massive X's and O's advantages are long gone. It's not 1985 anymore.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

See we have the same problem. We're college football fans. None of this is about or for fans of college football. It's about getting name a against name b to play each other so generic NFL numnut is more likely to tune in. The big schools get a shit ton of cash and more publicity so it's a win for them. The only losers are those of us that love the game for more than the hunt for the playoffs.

We'd love watching Texas Tech play Arizona at midnight, but we aren't most people and money just cares about getting the most people.

You can still watch tech play zone at midnight just not in a game that will mean anything towards a national title…all that changes is that that game might actually mean something.  It could decide who gets into a ccg or who might make the playoff in the lesser league.  If that’s what you love about college football why should you care if your in the AA league?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

No, no you don't. Y'all keep saying this, yet your own bleeping fanbase never shows up. 

Yet, .500% Texas comes to town Lubbock: "night game, everyone wear black, flip off Texas fans and scream raider power in their face, start a fuck Texas chant."

But yes, tell us more how your fan base cares so much about playing Arizona State.

Edited by RoyalBevo21

37 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

Counter point

image.png.24c2860ba8ca41f288bfb761eba13487.png

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

You're missing the point, the road is about to get a lot harder. The days of undefeated teams in college football is over. Again, ASU has a huge enrollment and an endowment bigger than LSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss. Yet your fans don't care about your football program. Why? 

This is not about ASU. Focus on the bigger picture. 

You should send a memo to the NFL. Let them know that getting rid of Pitt, Cle, Cin, Den, Sea, & KC will mean they can split the pie into less pieces. And once that works, you can move on to MLB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You should send a memo to the NFL. Let them know that getting rid of Pitt, Cle, Cin, Den, Sea, & KC will mean they can split the pie into less pieces. And once that works, you can move on to MLB.

Those NFL teams have FANS, even if they are smaller markets. Most of them bring something to the table.

Should the NFL expand to 65? 100? Makes a lot of sense? Like has already been mentioned, the other college teams are still going to play. They aren't disappearing off the face of the Earth.

This is just people who hate change of any kind. It's a problem with the human psyche. It's like politics. We need to make a few changes to keep up with the times and a whole faction of the voter pool (in both parties) are like "OMG, changes will destroy the world!" It's one reason China's kicking our ass.

Remember people's reaction to the Industrial Revolution? 

8 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

You can still watch tech play zone at midnight just not in a game that will mean anything towards a national title…all that changes is that that game might actually mean something.  It could decide who gets into a ccg or who might make the playoff in the lesser league.  If that’s what you love about college football why should you care if your in the AA league?

Correct and we'll see how it shakes out with schedules, but I fear we'll lose out on a lot what makes cfb great especially with regional rivalries. Now UT and OU moving with A&M, Arkansas, and LSU is nice for yall and those will be fun, but things like Missouri in the SEC East, WV in the B12 and Marlyand/Rutgers in the B1G are just pointless compared to the past.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

Pitt, Den, Sea, KC are really popular, so how about Cle, Cin, LAC, Buff, Tenn, TB, Jax, NYJ instead?  I’m sure the TB/JAX fan won’t root for Miami, nor the Chargers change loyalty to the Rams, nor Buff/Jet fans root for the Giants.  Also fuck Tennessee and anything Ohio, no shits given.

Just now, TKthunder2 said:

Pitt, Den, Sea, KC are really popular, so how about Cle, Cin, LAC, Buff, Tenn, TB, Jax, NYJ instead?  I’m sure the TB/JAX fan won’t root for Miami, nor the Chargers change loyalty to the Rams, nor Buff/Jet fans root for the Giants.  Also fuck Tennessee and anything Ohio, no shits given.

The NFL needs to go to the old NHL model of eight teams. If not for the fact it will give fans a reason to throw octopi?? on the field. 

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Correct and we'll see how it shakes out with schedules, but I fear we'll lose out on a lot what makes cfb great especially with regional rivalries. Now UT and OU moving with A&M, Arkansas, and LSU is nice for yall and those will be fun, but things like Missouri in the SEC East, WV in the B12 and Marlyand/Rutgers in the B1G are just pointless compared to the past.

West Virginia is playing Pitt this year. 

Maybe Kansas would play Missouri annually if they hadn't acted like such a dick head on the way out the door. 

Texas played Oklahoma like 80+ times being in different conferences. 

29 minutes ago, Asu2215 said:

Oh no no no, this is precisely about schools like ASU. You see, schools like that don't have the fortitude or grit to go all in and go after that national title and be behind their football 100%. They want to look around and look up to big brother and say "hey, go be great so we can tag along. But, also we're going to slander you, beg you, cheat you, and make the game against you the biggest on our schedule every year. But you're totally fucked up if you cut us off because we're too half ass committed to our own program to establish our own identity other than being an underdog and trying to ruin your season. Get that TV money though big bro, we need it!" 

That applies to about 60 programs

Tech, TCU, Baylor, most of the Pac 12. Everyone in the ACC not named Florida State or Clemson. The fans (you said so yourself), the media, the schools are tired of the nobodies hanging on. They want to see big games on big stages. 

The pip squeaks free ride is over. And the gall they have to be pissed is a GD joke. AZ State has been in the Pac 12 for 44 years!!!!! They've had 44 years to get it together and simply chose not to. Again, it's on you (the fans, alumni, boosters). Stop blaming the schools that are looking out for their best interest when that's exactly what the pip squeaks are trying to do by begging to stay relevant and acting like their cause is somehow more noble. You had your chance, you blew it. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 5

More on timing

Today, June 30, would be the last day USC and UCLA could inform the Pac-12 they intend on leaving the conference if they want to avoid potential additional financial penalties, three sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. The active Pac-12 grant of rights expires on June 30, 2024.....so if you wanted to know why this is coming out today, there is your answer.

headshot-image

That doesn't make it sound like others will be able to duck out and follow.

10 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Oh no no no, this is precisely about schools like ASU. You see, schools like that don't have the fortitude or grit to go all in and go after that national title and be behind their football 100%. They want to look around and look up to big brother and say "hey, go be great so we can tag along. But, also we're going to slander you, beg you, cheat you, and make the game against you the biggest on our schedule every year. But you're totally fucked up if you cut us off because we're too half ass committed to our own program to establish our own identity other than being an underdog and trying to ruin your season. Get that TV money though big bro, we need it!" 

That applies to about 60 programs

Tech, TCU, Baylor, most of the Pac 12. Everyone in the ACC not named Florida State or Clemson. The fans (you said so yourself), the media, the schools are tired of the nobodies hanging on. They want to see big games on big stages. 

The pip squeaks free ride is over. And the gall they have to be pissed is a GD joke. AZ State has been in the Pac 12 for 44 years!!!!! They've had 44 years to get it together and simply chose not to. Again, it's on you (the fans, alumni, boosters). Stop blaming the schools that are looking out for their best interest when that's exactly what the pip squeaks are trying to do by begging to stay relevant and acting like their cause is somehow more noble. You had your chance, you blew it. 

So, it sounds like you want the top 16-24 teams in one superconference that can play it out for the big natty. If that is the case, I think we are agreement. I would say those teams should have at it and remaining 90-100 teams can go 1-AA.

• Hook 'Em 1