Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Point me to them, since I said most and not just a few message board geniuses.

I'm not going to go back through old threads, but I've seen some definite outrage/whining about it here.  Probably just a select few, but they're pretty loud about it.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There are people on this board who absolutely care.

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Point me to them, since I said most and not just a few message board geniuses.

I think most of us have a strong reaction when we get penalized for doing pistols down against Texas Tech but everyone in the college football world can do horns down with impunity.  Its the inconsistency of officiating that we care about, not necessarily the horns down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2023 at 8:46 AM, Vertigo said:

Yes, I am sure enforcement is going to be rabid and tyrannical for a sports bar in Forest Grove, Oregon.

its actually quit simple.  I believe some Mexican soccer channel did this here in the US.  when you download their app they have access to the microphone and location.  when the game was heard to be played at a location that wasn't licensed to carry that channel they acted to shut it down.  
i would bet tons of money that there are a myriad of apps on our phones with similar access. 

Some, mostly older, horns care a whole lot about horns down. They take personal offense to it as if someone just spit on their wife. The overwhelming majority find it annoying and obnoxious at most & are generally unmoved by it except to point out when it's done at random sporting events where UT isn't involved. 

"Welcome to the Big House where Michigan is slated to host Northwestern"

*pans to crowd to see 2 or 3 horns down*

I always find those to be fairly amusing & it serves to reinforce the fact that you can either love us or hate us but you can't hide the fact that you're obsessed with us.

52 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well you have a stronger opinion on it than most Texas fans here on Surly. We don't care and find it funny that the CFB community thinks we care. Teams doing horns down other than OU. Texas fans reaction.

My favorite is teams and fans doing horns down during games Texas is not playing.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Utah doing everything it can to avoid joining the B12, but the B12 is going to vote them in anyway is distateful. I get teams wanting B10 or SEC over anything else, but Utah seems to almost be going in kicking and screaming. Have some self respect B12.

• Hook 'Em 2

If all these moves pan out, you have the PAC schools plus UO, UW all still playing each other in the Big 10.. huge win for all parties.. 

Utah reunited with BYU (whether the like it or not) the 'Zona school doing their business of sucking as usual, CU reunited with its old B8 pals all in the B12.  A huge win here for the Big12 and the. Newcomers... I think Utah will settle in just fine there once they figure out that they are more Big 12ish than Stanfordish.. 

Mizzou and OU can get back to t butt suckling each other. Without OU having to miss out on all the State Fair food (andeven meth heads need to eat. Sometimes).  Aggy and Arky get to enjoy those regular beating they enjoyed so much...  Another huge win, especially for Texas who gets/keeps not one, not two, but all three of it's bitches  back...

Overall. Realignment has been a win win for all..  

Wait...  I left out Maryland and that other one..... Don't care.....

And poor Nebraska....  They just get shit on all over...  No friends, no wins... Only a steady diet of Hawkeye dick to sustain them. Couldn't happen to a nicer group.  Osborne finally had one of his stupid decisions bear fruit,  he led those imbeciles to the dessert to die

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't see how FSU is going to win unless all of a sudden ESPN is magically on their side and they find "lost" documents that support FSU's claims that Swofford misrepresented what ESPN was telling him. Why would ESPN do such a thing? ESPN figures out that even if they pay more for FSU and Clemson in the SEC while Fox gets North Carolina and Miami they can save money between 2024 and 2036 by buying the remaining teams very cheaply. The networks are playing these conferences like a fiddle to their benefit and it may not be what FSU has got but more what ESPN wants that breaks up the ACC early.

ACC can’t expand without Espn paying more, right? I have no doubt that Stanford and Cal are making the pitch with UU trying desperately to tag along, but I don’t see how that works. And it won’t make FSU happy unless they make as much as UF, or at least significantly more than UCF.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-ten-narrows-focus-on-oregon-washington-175549459.html

"As the Big Ten continues to wait to see what happens with the future of the Pac-12 Conference, the league’s focus on possible expansion has narrowed to adding just two schools — Oregon and Washington, according to industry sources.

While a plan to also add Cal and Stanford and move to 20 teams strong in 2024 has been discussed, a smaller, two-team expansion that broadcast partners favor seems far more likely as of Thursday afternoon....

Big Ten broadcast partners see value in adding the Ducks and Huskies, but have balked at moving to 20 teams and bringing in Cal and Stanford. The two Bay Area schools offered appeal to university presidents who like the association with elite institutions and entry into the populous, wealthy and tech company-rich region of the country...."

3 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Utah doing everything it can to avoid joining the B12, but the B12 is going to vote them in anyway is distateful. I get teams wanting B10 or SEC over anything else, but Utah seems to almost be going in kicking and screaming. Have some self respect B12.

Yeah... I get that Utah's football brand is strong right now, but Yormark has talked about "fit" throughout the process.  Does a school that despises its new home actually fit?  

Utah has been pretty unified against the idea of joining the Big 12 throughout the last 12-18 months, from the admin, to their media spox people, to their message board and twitter fans.  You can compare them with ASU, who has been against the move, too, but it's been more of an aloof indifference than an open hostility in ASU's case.  I think ASU could blend it.  It looks like the Big 12 is prepared to invite Utah but making them take a walk in the MWC desert for a decade first, before inviting them, would have been preferable.  I might prefer SDSU in any case (for the hoops fit and the recruiting turf) if the TV side would sign off on it.    

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Have some self respect? You have no idea what you're getting yourself into do you?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The PAC will have 4 teams left over after this to merge with the MWC's 11. Does a 15 team PAC/MWC get closer to the $4 million MWC deal or $20 million PAC deal? 

The PAC12 is an A5 conference that has formal authority within the NCAA. Merging the organization of the MWC into the PAC12 allows them to keep that designation AND all NCAA/CFP payouts that both conferences were scheduled to receive and avoid any exit fees. They can also keep the branding and sponsorships as well.

The TV deal is the big mystery here but that large piece aside, it makes sense, even if the conference is down to just WSU/OSU.

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

The PACACC pitch doesn't make sense to me. ESPN won't bid on the PAC schools, and the ACC is locked in, although unhappily. Why would the networks pay more to the ACC to add PAC teams they've already passed on? 

I think the PAC playing the ACC would certainly be more valuable than the current PAC. not sure if the ACC value is increased. The scheduling alliance didn't add any value.

1 hour ago, Josef Pwag said:

This isn't it. The FSU Board Chair was on Warchant before their big meeting yesterday. He told those guys that unequal revenue sharing is on the table, but at most, it would mean an additional $5million a year. That doesn't come close to making up the difference between FSU and their rivals.

The B1G makes all the sense in the world for FSU. Florida TV markets that they don't have now are of great value. Of course, this would make ESPN oppose that move all the more. 

Conspiracy theory:  If ESPN wanted to move FSU into the SEC, without the appearance of being the one encouraging the move, they'd need FSU to throw a big public temper tantrum like this one.  Otherwise, maybe the ACC pulls a Bowlsby and threatens to sue them.  As it is now, the ACC will pin this on the Noles and ESPN is in a position to step in and mediate an exit rather than be a party to the in-fighting.        

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

ACC can’t expand without Espn paying more, right? I have no doubt that Stanford and Cal are making the pitch with UU trying desperately to tag along, but I don’t see how that works. And it won’t make FSU happy unless they make as much as UF, or at least significantly more than UCF.

ESPN isn't in any hurry to. Do anything with the ACC.  In fact. They've been nudging schools towards the BIG 12.  Which means the ACC is dead...  FSU  will get their wish, the question is when.  For FSUs sake it needs to be soon. But i have a feeling they are going to be stuck in ACC hell for a long time.  The conference as a whole nor the members will be forgetting this anytime soon.  And ESPN is going to let things settle in and see how it goes before anything else.. and that will take a long time.  

Isn't the PAC's inclusion as an Autonomous Conference revokable by majority vote just like it was formed? Why wouldn't all the other P5 schools and G5 schools that are not involved in a merger not vote to take that designation away? I don't think these schools can con their way into keeping this special status.

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Fuck Utah. Pivot to San Diego. Helluva lot better destination.

Or maybe add Colorado State. Not a current P5 team so it might cause a $$ problem, but it stays in the Mountain time zone and there is a bit of nice symmetry with just having added Colorado. 

The big-12 could have an annual "Who's the big brother" weekend for the schools in Arizona, Kansas, Colorado, and Baylor/Houston/Tech/Tcu.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

Especially for UCLA. 

Dammit. I didn't want to say that. Why did you feed me a straight line? 

I don't see a lot of SEC championships in Texas's future.  They may get one, but they'll be vastly more difficult to come by than Big 12 chips.

Hell, we can't win a P12 championship.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Conspiracy theory:  If ESPN wanted to move FSU into the SEC, without the appearance of being the one encouraging the move, they'd need FSU to throw a big public temper tantrum like this one.   

ESPN's financial struggles are known. If FSU moves to a non-ESPN conference, that is a financial hit for ESPN...no bueno. If FSU moves to an ESPN-affiliated conference, they would only do it for more money, so that means ESPN is paying more for FSU games it had on the cheap when they were in the ACC....no bueno. ESPN wants FSU right where they have them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasper_Jester said:

Isn't the PAC's inclusion as an Autonomous Conference revokable by majority vote just like it was formed? Why wouldn't all the other P5 schools and G5 schools that are not involved in a merger not vote to take that designation away? I don't think these schools can con their way into keeping this special status.

Yes but that vote would be from all DI schools not just the A5. I also think you’re walking a thin line if you remove the voting power from the only true Western Conference. The PAC12’s interests (like in venue selection for the NCAA tournament and travel rules) often coincides with other Western conferences like the WCC, Big West, and Big Sky; so strategically it make sense to leave that alone and not rock the boat. The MWC/PAC combo is in a unique position here.

1 minute ago, Gaffords said:

ESPN isn't in any hurry to. Do anything with the ACC.  In fact. They've been nudging schools towards the BIG 12.  Which means the ACC is dead...  FSU  will get their wish, the question is when.  For FSUs sake it needs to be soon. But i have a feeling they are going to be stuck in ACC hell for a long time.  The conference as a whole nor the members will be forgetting this anytime soon.  And ESPN is going to let things settle in and see how it goes before anything else.. and that will take a long time.  

Here is the problem for ESPN with FSU and Clemson being stuck in the ACC for long time. They will not be able to recruit and the product will suffer and and as a consequence the ratings will suffer. What seems to be a great deal now will not be as good after some years of suckage. See all our 11 am starts of the last few years. Teams with large followings need to be competitive and play in interesting games to rake in the ratings bonanza. To me that is what the networks have been doing with all this movement. They were tired of crappy OOC schedules and conference schedules so you extend the playoffs to give teams an incentive to concentrate power in 2 conferences. Change the auto bids in 2026 and now you have a mini NFL and the sooner the better.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Or maybe add Colorado State. Not a current P5 team so it might cause a $$ problem, but it stays in the Mountain time zone and there is a bit of nice symmetry with just having added Colorado. 

The big-12 could have an annual "Who's the big brother" weekend for the schools in Arizona, Kansas, Colorado, and Baylor/Houston/Tech/Tcu.

CSU was on my list back when Neb bolted. Beautiful place, and got some family thereabouts. But I'd prefer the ocean view.

13 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Conspiracy theory:  If ESPN wanted to move FSU into the SEC, without the appearance of being the one encouraging the move, they'd need FSU to throw a big public temper tantrum like this one.  Otherwise, maybe the ACC pulls a Bowlsby and threatens to sue them.  As it is now, the ACC will pin this on the Noles and ESPN is in a position to step in and mediate an exit rather than be a party to the in-fighting.        

You know.. you may be on to something here. Let's say ESPN moves over one or two schools to the SEC, and then they keep the distribution for the ACC the same. That solves two problems at once. Giving the ACC schools a bump to stay competitive, by my math that would be around 5 million per school. But also locking down the SEC footprint, and adding two teams that continue to improve the brand. I like it. 

15 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

jfc.

50 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The school can expel you for being gay and in a relationship, but shots from the “sacred” cup, that’s intolerant and disrespectful. Such fucking bullshit.

They should do like Baylor and both reserve the right to punish you for being gay while also allowing LGBT+ groups to look better for their academic peers.

YARN | - Yeah? - I'm gonna play both sides. | It's Always Sunny in  Philadelphia (2005) - S10E09 Frank Retires | Video clips by quotes |  8d2c880d | 紗

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bullet said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-big-ten-narrows-focus-on-oregon-washington-175549459.html

"As the Big Ten continues to wait to see what happens with the future of the Pac-12 Conference, the league’s focus on possible expansion has narrowed to adding just two schools — Oregon and Washington, according to industry sources.

While a plan to also add Cal and Stanford and move to 20 teams strong in 2024 has been discussed, a smaller, two-team expansion that broadcast partners favor seems far more likely as of Thursday afternoon....

Big Ten broadcast partners see value in adding the Ducks and Huskies, but have balked at moving to 20 teams and bringing in Cal and Stanford. The two Bay Area schools offered appeal to university presidents who like the association with elite institutions and entry into the populous, wealthy and tech company-rich region of the country...."

I’m guessing they want to use Oregon and Washington to get to 18, then save some slots for ACC teams instead of adding in Stanford and Cal.

22 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Don't give Yormark any bright ideas...

julie chen no GIF by Big Brother

Just now, PilotsError said:

If the PAC goes all streaming, who are they going to schedule?  Would Texas agree to play any of their teams if the game would only be on Apple?  Would any team?  I don't know what P5 school would agree to any game that is not a network.  

PAC isn’t going to exist. 

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

B12 can't add a non-P5 and get the same incremental payout

Yeah according to all the information that has come out the pro rata is only for p5 teams to big 12

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

With the rest of the statement:

Obviously Athletics Directors are not the ones calling the shots here, but this does not exactly sound like the words of someone that is about the leave the conference.  I love the last part about waiting until 2036 and then you can do whatever you want.

• Like 1