Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

https://footballscoop.com/news/ucla-coach-chip-kellys-radical-college-football-plan

Think the horse is out of the barn with Big 10 and SEC expansion and mega-contracts, but this is Chip Kelly's proposal to partly put the Genie back in the bottle.  4 sixteen team regional conferences each with 8 team divisions in one TV contract but in a separation from the rest of FBS who would be in a separate 4X16 group and TV contract.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39150367/florida-state-discussing-future-acc-following-cfp-snub

FSU seriously looking at their options.  This report is from Pete Thamel and ESPN.

I've long thought FSU and Clemson will end up in the SEC, FSU running their schedule and missing the playoffs, which could have been a 12 team playoff this year, but the ACC was against it. 

Bottom line is the SEC and Big 10 is where it's at, no other conference can get better by growing, you can add more mouths to feed, but you aren't adding quality. Every dime is going to be tied up with those two conferences, a conference network won't work either. ACC is walking into the dark ages. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, bullet said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/ucla-coach-chip-kellys-radical-college-football-plan

Think the horse is out of the barn with Big 10 and SEC expansion and mega-contracts, but this is Chip Kelly's proposal to partly put the Genie back in the bottle.  4 sixteen team regional conferences each with 8 team divisions in one TV contract but in a separation from the rest of FBS who would be in a separate 4X16 group and TV contract.

Ooh, I'll play. Using March Madness regional names...

WEST
Pacific:

Arizona
Arizona St.
Cal
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington

Heartland:
BYU
Colorado
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Mizzou
Nebraska
Utah

SOUTH
Southwest:
Arkansas
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Southeastern:
Alabama
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Miss. St.
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vandy

MIDWEST
Leaders:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Purdue
Wisconsin

Legends:
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan St.
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse

EAST
Atlantic:
Clemson
Florida
Florida St.
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
N.C. State

Appalachian:
Boston College
Duke
Louisville
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

You're welcome, College Football.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

WEST
Pacific:

Arizona
Arizona St.
Cal
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington

Heartland:
BYU
Colorado
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Mizzou
Nebraska
Utah

SOUTH
Southwest:
Arkansas
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Southeastern:
Alabama
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Miss. St.
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vandy

MIDWEST
Leaders:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Purdue
Wisconsin

Legends:
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan St.
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse

EAST
Atlantic:
Clemson
Florida
Florida St.
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
N.C. State

Appalachian:
Boston College
Duke
Louisville
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Too reasonable. Also too much tcu and Baylor. 

I suspect a few more teams to be dropped for a much messier 40 team league . 

I'd I had tv numbers handy my guess is it would probably top 35 +5 to make the geography close to working 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Too reasonable. Also too much tcu and Baylor. 

I suspect a few more teams to be dropped for a much messier 40 team league . 

I'd I had tv numbers handy my guess is it would probably top 35 +5 to make the geography close to working 

Well he basically just dropped 4 of the 5 newest P5 members, keeping BYU.  SMU, UH, UCF, Cincinnati are out in his list.

Find it hard to justify Wake Forest, however.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.777f457017fe1a3bcdc1ac46fa7ff1f5.png

Arkansas is 28, MississippiState with a new coach is 35, and Vandy comes in at a semi respectable 40 (which for reference, would make them #4 in the Big12, #8 in the ACC, and #14 in the Big Ten)

The Big Ten is who you would expect (tOSU, UO, USC, UM, Pedo) along with Nebraska and Wisconsin and NOT Washington (coming in at 36).

ACC is who you’d expect (Mia, FSU, Clem) with UNC and NCSU coming in at 26/27.

Big 12 is just Tech who is being propped up by their single legacy 5 star.

ND also is in the top 25 as usual.

To tie this back to realignment.

I firmly believe FSU/Clemson will be at least offered a spot in the SEC when the time comes. You cannot have two teams in the middle of your recruiting hotbed, that have a history of attracting elite talent, going to your only true competitor.

#3 Miami will be invited to join the Big Ten and I think #30 Stanford and #34 Georgia Tech  will also eventually be pulled in along with #10 Notre Dame in a decade or so. Markets and recruiting areas. That would get them to 22, and they’d battle for UNC/UVA with the SEC for those last 2 spots. If they miss on those flagships, do they go after #27 NCSU and #42 VT or do they look at Arizona State and a school like Colorado as a bridge?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Arkansas is 28, MississippiState with a new coach is 35, and Vandy comes in at a semi respectable 40 (which for reference, would make them #4 in the Big12, #8 in the ACC, and #14 in the Big Ten)

The Big Ten is who you would expect (tOSU, UO, USC, UM, Pedo) along with Nebraska and Wisconsin and NOT Washington (coming in at 36).

ACC is who you’d expect (Mia, FSU, Clem) with UNC and NCSU coming in at 26/27.

Big 12 is just Tech who is being propped up by their single legacy 5 star.

ND also is in the top 25 as usual.

To tie this back to realignment.

I firmly believe FSU/Clemson will be at least offered a spot in the SEC when the time comes. You cannot have two teams in the middle of your recruiting hotbed, that have a history of attracting elite talent, going to your only true competitor.

#3 Miami will be invited to join the Big Ten and I think #30 Stanford and #34 Georgia Tech  will also eventually be pulled in along with #10 Notre Dame in a decade or so. Markets and recruiting areas. That would get them to 22, and they’d battle for UNC/UVA with the SEC for those last 2 spots. If they miss on those flagships, do they go after #27 NCSU and #42 VT or do they look at Arizona State and a school like Colorado as a bridge?

Dont know when but there has to be a merger at some point between the big 2.  Maybe a few of the leftovers can get an invite.  

14 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

WEST
Pacific:

Arizona
Arizona St.
Cal
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington

Heartland:
BYU
Colorado
Iowa St.
Kansas
Kansas St.
Mizzou
Nebraska
Utah

SOUTH
Southwest:
Arkansas
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Southeastern:
Alabama
Auburn
Kentucky
LSU
Miss. St.
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vandy

MIDWEST
Leaders:
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Purdue
Wisconsin

Legends:
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan St.
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse

EAST
Atlantic:
Clemson
Florida
Florida St.
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
South Carolina
N.C. State

Appalachian:
Boston College
Duke
Louisville
North Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Something like this would not only be the best for fans, but it would also be the most profitable model.  Maximizing eyeballs and there would be very few programs with a legitimate gripe that they got left out.

A 40 team model would to a shit ton of lawsuits and basic apathy from the 30ish fanbases that would get left out in favor of 20ish schools that are basically on the same tier as they are.  That would draw worse ratings than the modern iteration, I suspect.  

I still think if you're trying to get more exclusive, then you get extremely exclusive and put the 16-20 schools that are actually capable of winning a national title in the current system in their own division, and the back half of that 40 team model join up with teams 70-40 for a 50ish team level.  I think this would eventually be more appealing to the back half of the 40 team model, which will really have nothing other than saying they made the cut to hang their hats on.  They will never be competitive in that setting, and a lot of those fanbases will get apathetic from mounting losses.  Then you have the Iowa States, Oklahoma States of the world raising holy hell.

All of a sudden a school like Arkansas or Iowa goes from being the whipping boy in a 40 team model to being a national title contender at the next level.  And the 16-20ish team top tier would probably have a lot of parity, and those fanbases will be given exclusively blue blood-ish slates.

Either make the top tent a fairly inclusive thing where most of the schools know they have little shot of competing, but they're happy to be in the ring, or make it fucking tiny and only composed of those with a shot to win it.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

It will be interesting to watch FSU try to get out of the GOR and ESPN fight them on it since the only logical spot is the Big 10.

FSU and Clemson make a lot more sense in the SEC, IMO.  At least in an actual logical sense, not a "college football 2024" sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

FSU and Clemson make a lot more sense in the SEC, IMO.  At least in an actual logical sense, not a "college football 2024" sense.

From a regionality standpoint and rivalry standpoint yes.  From a TV and recruiting perspective, no.  SEC already owns Florida and the southeast.  Why add a new brand there that dilutes your recruiting for existing members, and adds eyeballs you already have anyway?  Might be a few net-new FSU and Clemson eyeballs but I bet they already watch SEC a ton.  No way that's worth the $60-80M/yr ESPN would have to pay out.  Especially when ESPN has them at a bargain rate now.  It's gonna be a lawyer war for awhile.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

From a regionality standpoint and rivalry standpoint yes.  From a TV and recruiting perspective, no.  SEC already owns Florida and the southeast.  Why add a new brand there that dilutes your recruiting for existing members, and adds eyeballs you already have anyway?  Might be a few net-new FSU and Clemson eyeballs but I bet they already watch SEC a ton.  No way that's worth the $60-80M/yr ESPN would have to pay out.  Especially when ESPN has them at a bargain rate now.  It's gonna be a lawyer war for awhile.

FSU is one of the most watched teams in CFB.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well sure but does the SEC want them? They already get both once a year in the OOC. Obviously, if the ACC was destroyed, it would make too much sense to grab them but I think the SEC guided by ESPN won't want to make any slots available. Now if the Big 10 makes a move, ESPN may have no choice. The ACC is only 4/5 decent options and 2 of those are basketball only. 

Florida State's problem is they have to assume the Big 10 is going to want them. That's not a given. It all depends on if the TV partners will pay more for FSU. If it's a further division of the existing TV money pie, the Big 10 isn't making a move. 

Edited by mdmost

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well sure but does the SEC want them? They already get both once a year in the OOC. Obviously, if the ACC was destroyed, it would make too much sense to grab them but I think the SEC guided by ESPN won't want to make any slots available. Now if the Big 10 makes a move, ESPN may have no choice. The ACC is only 4/5 decent options and 2 of those are basketball only. 

Florida State's problem is they have to assume the Big 10 is going to want them. That's not a given. It all depends on if the TV partners will pay more for FSU. If it's a further division of the existing TV money pie, the Big 10 isn't making a move. 

I mean, the real question here isn't whether the SEC or Big 10 want them.  It's whether or not ESPN or Fox want them in those leagues.

I could see where ESPN would view FSU playing an SEC schedule as a valuable thing more than I can see Fox finding value in them playing a Big 10 schedule.  I think the average viewer would find FSU vs Georgia or Bama more interesting than FSU vs Penn State or Oregon.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

They already recruit and draw tv ratings in the region. I don’t understand your point. It sounds like the tv network subscription “one team per state” model that caused a massive change in cfb then died within a decade. Bunch of nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Wut?

Keep in mind that they make less than UCF as a member of the ACC.  The Big 12 is a pay raise for them.  The benefit to the Big 12 is obvious.  If FSU joins the Big 12, the Big 12's odds of being a multi-bid league are all but guaranteed.  The Big 12 + FSU is a better league than the ACC with FSU in it.

The Big 12 and ACC merging with the non-serious football schools dropping out of major college football would make sense as well.  That league would be included in any playoff that SEC and Big 10 are.  It would rarely win said playoff, but it would probably win some games.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, the real question here isn't whether the SEC or Big 10 want them.  It's whether or not ESPN or Fox want them in those leagues.

I could see where ESPN would view FSU playing an SEC schedule as a valuable thing more than I can see Fox finding value in them playing a Big 10 schedule.  I think the average viewer would find FSU vs Georgia or Bama more interesting than FSU vs Penn State or Oregon.

It's a weird dynamic. The SEC is just one network with everything so if ESPN doesn't want to pay more, they don't have to. If anything it would be like overpaying for the LHN to keep Texas in the Big 12 instead in the Pac 12. It would be to keep them away from the Big 10. Sure the games would be great but SEC games are already that, even more so now with Texas and OU joining. With the Big 10, it's 3 networks paying more. That might be a better thing for NBC since they need to feed decent games in the night time spot and Peacock. There might be more willingness to pay from the Big 10. 

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Keep in mind that they make less than UCF as a member of the ACC.  The Big 12 is a pay raise for them.  The benefit to the Big 12 is obvious.  If FSU joins the Big 12, the Big 12's odds of being a multi-bid league are all but guaranteed.  The Big 12 + FSU is a better league than the ACC with FSU in it.

The Big 12 and ACC merging with the non-serious football schools dropping out of major college football would make sense as well.  That league would be included in any playoff that SEC and Big 10 are.  It would rarely win said playoff, but it would probably win some games.

The timing of all this is what really pisses me off. If we knew the PAC would fold there's no way we would have added UCF, UH, Cincy, and probably not even BYU. Now that the ACC is in peril and the SEC and Big 10 might be at capacity (I doubt it but just a what if), we could have poached the best of the PAC left behinds and the top of the ACC for a heck of a league, and yeah, probably multiple playoff spots. The money would still be less, but not as big a gap as there is now. This would make one heck of a league:

Utah, CU, AU, ASU, Tech, TCU, BU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, FSU, Clemson, VT, UVA, UNC, Miami.

If the ACC is truly dead, then I'd be open to GT, Pitt, NC State, even SMU and BYU. But the above would be solid af. If FSU and Clemson and a few others make the Big 10 or SEC, I could also see the Big 12 and ACC dissolving and reforming with the best of the rest, which would leave behind some programs. It's the only way I can think of to rid ourselves of the waco rapists too.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The timing of all this is what really pisses me off. If we knew the PAC would fold there's no way we would have added UCF, UH, Cincy, and probably not even BYU. Now that the ACC is in peril and the SEC and Big 10 might be at capacity (I doubt it but just a what if), we could have poached the best of the PAC left behinds and the top of the ACC for a heck of a league, and yeah, probably multiple playoff spots. The money would still be less, but not as big a gap as there is now. This would make one heck of a league:

Utah, CU, AU, ASU, Tech, TCU, BU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, FSU, Clemson, VT, UVA, UNC, Miami.

If the ACC is truly dead, then I'd be open to GT, Pitt, NC State, even SMU and BYU. But the above would be solid af. If FSU and Clemson and a few others make the Big 10 or SEC, I could also see the Big 12 and ACC dissolving and reforming with the best of the rest, which would leave behind some programs. It's the only way I can think of to rid ourselves of the waco rapists too.

Yeah, but if the Big 12 didn't take UCF, UH, and Cincy, they wouldn't have been able to renegotiate their tv contract early and the Pac might have been able to stay together.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's a weird dynamic. The SEC is just one network with everything so if ESPN doesn't want to pay more, they don't have to. If anything it would be like overpaying for the LHN to keep Texas in the Big 12 instead in the Pac 12. It would be to keep them away from the Big 10. Sure the games would be great but SEC games are already that, even more so now with Texas and OU joining. With the Big 10, it's 3 networks paying more. That might be a better thing for NBC since they need to feed decent games in the night time spot and Peacock. There might be more willingness to pay from the Big 10. 

There is a level of stasis with the SEC that I can see minimal incentive to change.  I do think FSU would make the quality of games better, but I guess the question is it "better enough" for lack of a term?

2/3rds of the Big 10 are no different than the schools in the Big 12 - they just got lucky hooking up with Ohio State and Michigan 100 years or go, or for literally existing in highly populated states in an era when having a lot of people in your state made you valuable to the conference network.  Ergo, they have (considerably) more games with smaller interest levels and could be motivated to pull in an FSU.

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That would be a very entertaining league (although I'd rather have BYU than Baylor - they're less rapey and they bring eyeballs), but I really don't think the Big 12 gets in that position if they don't add those 4.  Even if 3 of them are serious dead weight potential (I think Houston is absolutely dead weight and that Cincy and UCF at least have potential).

17 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, but if the Big 12 didn't take UCF, UH, and Cincy, they wouldn't have been able to renegotiate their tv contract early and the Pac might have been able to stay together.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That would be a very entertaining league (although I'd rather have BYU than Baylor - they're less rapey and they bring eyeballs), but I really don't think the Big 12 gets in that position if they don't add those 4.  Even if 3 of them are serious dead weight potential (I think Houston is absolutely dead weight and that Cincy and UCF at least have potential).

Yes I know, which is why I hate the timing. It became necessary in that moment in time. One year later and it would have been completely different. The PAC would not have stayed together in my opinion either way. Once USC/UCLA bolted, UO and UW leaving was inevitable. 

Edited by 'stache

If Florida State had a case they would have already taken action. Given their record the last two years they have no problem competing at a high level now that they have a good coach. It seems the B10 is looking to go to a national conference but they can wait and won't get near any legal action. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

They already recruit and draw tv ratings in the region. I don’t understand your point. It sounds like the tv network subscription “one team per state” model that caused a massive change in cfb then died within a decade. Bunch of nonsense. 

Yeah.  The conference network model will be pretty much gone in another decade.  It will be a streaming service.  I think Wetzel's sources in this article that say UNC and UVA are the top targets for both conferences are stuck in 2013.

In the Sic-em analysis, FSU is #9 and Clemson #10 in viewership.  UVA is near the bottom of the P5.  That is what matters now.  If they start looking seriously, after Notre Dame, the top choices will be FSU and Clemson.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-state-leaving-the-acc-would-have-massive-ramifications-for-the-future-of-college-athletics-154632042.html

"...On a competitive level, it doesn’t make sense, but the repeated conventional wisdom is that if ACC schools were available for poaching then North Carolina and Virginia might be the first choices. Academics, demographics and the ability to extend a league's footprint into new territory would win out.

That’s what they say at least.

For now.

“Everything changes if schools are truly available,” one Big Ten source said. “Despite what is said, there has been no reason to examine all of this, so [it’s] hard to know...."”

Right now the SEC and Big Ten are similar enough to each other. If the Big Ten gets FSU, Clemson, Miami, and ND then the balance of power will shift to the North…not by a ton, but they would have the edge.

FSU/Clemson is THE protection play. Keep the eyeballs on your product and off your opponents. FSU/Clemson vs USC/Michigan/Oregon/Ohio St etc would be really bad for the SEC.

These two teams, like Texas and OU have been a top watch nationally DESPITE playing a weak conference slate. Putting them in either of the power 2, would put their viewership numbers on steroids.

The SEC without FSU would be their first step towards becoming the AFL to the Big Ten’s NFL.

Dont get me wrong Texas, OU, Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia will be fine either way, but if you’re Mississippi State or Vandy, you should be pushing the SEC to pull out all the stops and get FSU/Clemson into the SEC asap. If the Big Ten grabs the best remaining then they’ll simply outnumber the SEC 2 to 1 and will be able to direct the future of elite college football to their liking.

6 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Right now the SEC and Big Ten are similar enough to each other. If the Big Ten gets FSU, Clemson, Miami, and ND then the balance of power will shift to the North…not by a ton, but they would have the edge.

FSU/Clemson is THE protection play. Keep the eyeballs on your product and off your opponents. FSU/Clemson vs USC/Michigan/Oregon/Ohio St etc would be really bad for the SEC.

These two teams, like Texas and OU have been a top watch nationally DESPITE playing a weak conference slate. Putting them in either of the power 2, would put their viewership numbers on steroids.

The SEC without FSU would be their first step towards becoming the AFL to the Big Ten’s NFL.

Dont get me wrong Texas, OU, Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia will be fine either way, but if you’re Mississippi State or Vandy, you should be pushing the SEC to pull out all the stops and get FSU/Clemson into the SEC asap. If the Big Ten grabs the best remaining then they’ll simply outnumber the SEC 2 to 1 and will be able to direct the future of elite college football to their liking.

The SEC would still be ahead competitively.  Bit 10 would have more population centers.  The 2024 SEC would still have won 17 of the 25 BCS/CFP titles and done it with 8 different teams.   The hypothetical Big 10 would have 8 by 5 different teams.

The Big 10 has staked their claim to the layers out west. I don’t see the need or desire for them to go south. When the math goes to unequal revenue sharing I think Cal and Stanford will go Big 10. FSU/Clemson are SEC all the way in culture and otherwise. Miami is the only southern school that might be closer to Big 10 culture. INC and UVA too if they’re considered southern. But because of tv ratings mentioned above I think FSU/Clemson are the only ones leaving until unequal revenue sharing. 

1 hour ago, bullet said:

The SEC would still be ahead competitively.  Bit 10 would have more population centers.  The 2024 SEC would still have won 17 of the 25 BCS/CFP titles and done it with 8 different teams.   The hypothetical Big 10 would have 8 by 5 different teams.

I agree but competitive “on the field” doesn’t always win out. Plenty of weaker companies have acquired stronger competitors due public perception or back room wheeling and dealing.

Ultimately, if the Big Ten has a conference of 24-30 teams (FSU, Clem, Mia, GT, UNC, UVA, Stan, Cal, ND, Kansas, Duke, etc) that is considered elite college football/athletics in general, whether rightly or wrongly, there will be pressure on the SEC to join them and not the other way around.

Also while I know you went to the start of the BCS, back up that year to 97 and Nebraska and Michigan both add a title which gets them to 10 titles by 7 different teams. Still behind the SEC because of Alabama and all but most would be.

3 hours ago, John80 said:

The B10 has no interest in Cal and Stanford because they are focused on football brands. Stanford had to beg for a bad deal with a conference on the other side of the country.

Like UT begging a mid-level OC to come.work for Charlie Strong..

2 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Okay I’ll be that guy (and I get this was probably just written with generic PR speak) but…if these schools truly had “millions of fans” that watched and supported their teams they wouldn’t be in the situation they are in currently. They have the second and third SMALLEST football stadiums in the P5 (only beating out lowly Wake Forest).

Its fashionable now to rally behind the P2 and blame mean old college football for their unjust plight, but in a decade when UW/WSU and UO/OSU nationally means the same as CU/CSU nobody will care because their “millions of fans” will have glommed onto their state’s flagship school playing in the Big Ten and these 2 will look at lowering their stadium capacity even more with only MWC teams coming to town.