Texas has won the 2021-2022 Directors Cup

GreenspointTexas

12 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

That figures.  This makes much more sense now.

My kid didn't go to UT, but he is the absolute best kind of UT fan.  He gets excited for our successes across the board and enjoys going to games of all types.  Yeah, he's frustrated at football, but takes a lot of joy in us kicking ass all over the place in other sports.

It's probably because I didn't raise him to be a miserable cunt.

Yeah, but don't you feel just a little be bad as a parent. I know I do. 

54 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Unfuck yourself.

Plenty of us are happy that we have 4 National Championships already this year. 

im not mad, just nobody gives a fuck. Win fucking national titles across all sports, MOST IMPORTANTLY Football, baseball, basketball. 

25 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Was sharing a couple of bottles of central coast zin with some of my Stanford buddies and this topic came up.

We're all pretty upset about it.

I was sharing a couple of bottles of Vermintino (Pedernales Cellars Lyla) with a couple of my UT buddies when your post appeared.

After laughing re: your sour grapes, we decided that you should be much more concerned over the atrocious state of your football program and David Shaw's downward recruiting spiral.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

im not mad, just nobody gives a fuck. Win fucking national titles across all sports, MOST IMPORTANTLY Football, baseball, basketball. 

Multiple people are telling you they do indeed  give a fuck.

YOU might not, but others do.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Multiple people are telling you they do indeed  give a fuck.

YOU might not, but others do.

and plenty of people think we shouldnt pay kids, we should do things the "right way", and are part of the groupthink that has texas failing at football. But hey, chess!

Until we win at the big sports we will continue to look pathetic. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Fuck You 7

Just now, ATexanAbroad said:

and plenty of people think we shouldnt pay kids, we should do things the "right way", and are part of the groupthink that has texas failing at football. But hey, chess!

You continue to make stupid arguments. 

None of these things are even remotely related. Initially, you tried to imply that because Texas is good in the non-revenue sports it makes Texas soft in football. Now you're trying to imply that because Texas is good in the non-revenue sports it means certain fans don't want to pay recruits. 

Jesus, you're a moron. I like being good in all the sports and I want Texas football to buy recruits. This line of reasoning makes zero sense but you are a moron so I get it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You continue to make stupid arguments. 

None of these things are even remotely related. Initially, you tried to imply that because Texas is good in the non-revenue sports it makes Texas soft in football. Now you're trying to imply that because Texas is good in the non-revenue sports it means certain fans don't want to pay recruits. 

Jesus, you're a moron. I like being good in all the sports and I want Texas football to buy recruits. This line of reasoning makes zero sense but you are a moron so I get it. 

😘😘 It's easy to hate when youre a blocked up lonely little angry man. Winning at non revenue sports is only cool if you are winning revenue sports. We are a laughing joke because we cant compete on the big stage. We dont compete on the big stage because we have made a series of bad hires and our donors are above paying players. Many of the people that are oh so happy for our great little rowers and so proud of our little golfers are the same people who turn their to playing the game. We just want good kids who are good at sports. This isnt hard, youre just a pussy. 

NIL might change this. Until we win we are a joke for good reason. Having a bunch of non revenue sports doesnt impress anyone except yall. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Fuck You 8

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't believe that you went to Texas.  I also don't believe you graduated 3rd in your class, unless you had a graduating class of eight people.  You come across as an insecure, uneducated moron.  

No chance. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

On 6/2/2022 at 7:27 AM, utee94 said:

JFC some of you are some seriously miserable assholes. 

Anyway, winning an all-sports trophy is better than not winning one.  Our non-revenue sports have improved quite a bit over the past several years.  This is a good thing. 

Just In time to take a haircut from the money shifting to NIL. Maybe they too can enjoy from the big reset?!  Actually I am kidding I am hoping we see another Harvey Penick type from these teams.

3 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Until we win at the big sports we will continue to look pathetic. 

What in the actual fuck are you jabbering about?

That is one of the most pathetic at redirecting an argument that I’ve ever read.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd rather you just review punctuation.  You know, being a UT grad and all . . .

i can do better i guess but forgive me for not giving a shit about typing correctly on an internet message board where people jerk off about 18 year old athletes....

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

Amazing accomplishment for our Texas athletes, our athletic department and for Chris Del Conte.

I would only ask they look to expand our sport offerings.

Texas wants to be elite in what they offer and not dilute that success by adding more sports. 

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

Amazing accomplishment for our Texas athletes, our athletic department and for Chris Del Conte.

I would only ask they look to expand our sport offerings.

When Deloss assumed his AD responsibilities the athletics budget at UT was roughly $1 mil. His model was to only participate in sports that Texas could be nationally competitive with primarily in-state students. 

That is how Texas came to choose its current roster of sports. Texas is still running the Deloss Dodds business model today. 

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If most high schools in TX play a sport we should have a team in that sport.

The Deloss model was that if from schools in Texas playing a sport there can be recruited enough talented athletes to build a nationally competitive program, that sport would be considered. Stuff like lacrosse, wrestling, etc might be played in Texas but if homegrown talent can’t reasonably be competitive for a national title in a fairly consistent basis, it wouldn’t be considered. 

The goal of this model was to protect the financial health of the athletics department by not funding minor sports that weren’t significant to the mission of the school which is to promote excellence. 

Any discussion of whether to add sports would reasonably need to start with whether the school should abandon its current operating model. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

50 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

The Deloss model was that if from schools in Texas playing a sport there can be recruited enough talented athletes to build a nationally competitive program, that sport would be considered. Stuff like lacrosse, wrestling, etc might be played in Texas but if homegrown talent can’t reasonably be competitive for a national title in a fairly consistent basis, it wouldn’t be considered. 

The goal of this model was to protect the financial health of the athletics department by not funding minor sports that weren’t significant to the mission of the school which is to promote excellence. 

Any discussion of whether to add sports would reasonably need to start with whether the school should abandon its current operating model. 

We could absolutely field a nationally competitive team in lacrosse and mens soccer with homegrown talent. 

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We could absolutely field a nationally competitive team in lacrosse and mens soccer with homegrown talent. 

And what men's sports would you give up or add on the women's side to be Title IX compliant?

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gymnastics. 

OU dominates in women's gymnastics simply by recruiting Texas. 

Girls also play lacrosse.  I have no idea if it has become as popular as it has with the guys, but those would be my 2 suggestions.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree on lacrosse.

Agreed. It’s a secondary sport for a lot of kids in Texas (also not a UIL sport here) East coast teams would drill us.

Also no expert but a lacrosse team in college is something like 30 something players. Woman’s gymnastics is capped at 12 schollies so for a school that I believe is now ~60% female we couldn’t do much in the way of offering male lacrosse scholarships and maintain the spirit of equal opportunity
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree on lacrosse.

I’m not going to claim to be an expert on the sport, but I know a kid who is being recruited by the East coast heavy hitters as are several of his club teammates.  I’m guessing that these high level club teams exist in all of our major cities.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Soccer, for sure.  We were supposed to launch a team a while back.  As my son made his way up through club soccer, he spent some time with Austin's Rangers.  His coach had played club soccer for UT, but had been recruited to play for a new varsity program.  By the time he got to campus as a freshman, those plans had been scuttled.  He ultimately decided he'd rather have a degree from UT and play club soccer than a degree from some other D1 program in Texas (which is limited to SMU, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, and UT-RGV). 

There are a ton of great HS soccer players in Texas and very slim pickings in terms of D1 programs.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Hi

1ef65dde6956293e3609eb4440eb346b.jpg

Jerking off over athletes is the Genesis story of this place you dildo smack.

Well, actually being critical in even the mildest of ways towards the athletes or coaches is the Genesis story. Jerking off over athletes is the only thing you were allowed to do on Hornfans after the Agnors went to the end of year football dinner and sat with Mack and Sally. 

In terms of adding sports, I’d love to see Texas add a few more. Title IX always has to play the number one consideration, of course. Women’s lacrosse would be a great add, because the rosters are big, which would help in adding a men’s sport, possibly. I’d prefer UIL sports, which lacrosse obviously isn’t. But it’s not like rowing is a major sport in Texas, either. 

The thing is, the last big expansion was entirely due to the Title IX settlement brought forward by the club crew (rowing) girls encouraged by then women’s athletic director Donna Lopiano. We added softball, women’s soccer, and rowing in one fell swoop, and built the facilities for them. Nothing has been done since. For years Texas labored under the strictest Title IX enforcement in the country due to the court settlement, and the scars from that experience still dictate the prism through how the athletic department views the world in fundamental ways. 

I just think it’s easier from an administration/bureaucratic perspective to keep doing things the way they are. “If it’s not broke...” sort of thinking. It would require some kind of external pain being directed towards the university or the AD office, or a massive donation earmarked for the establishment of a new sport (it would have to be a woman’s sport - or maybe a man’s sport and then that gives the impetus to start another woman’s sport).

The NIL stuff is throwing the calculations off, too, since the NIL money going to male athletes in football and basketball is going to dwarf all other sports. It’s unclear what each university’s obligation is under Title IX to help encourage a more equal distribution. Common sense would say zero, but there’s already state legislation out there allowing schools and their personnel (including coaches) to coordinate NIL money (not in the state of Texas…yet). Once that happens the level of responsibility changes, although it would take litigation to determine if a school has any real responsibility or not - litigation that would in all likelihood be settled, certainly in UT’s case, anyway. 

Bottom line I find it highly unlikely Texas adds any sports any time in the near future. 

To address the main point of the thread, I think it’s beyond awesome that after a run that spans the Paleozoic Era, Stanford’s streak of winning this thing has been broken twice by Texas. I don’t understand the mentality of immediately shifting to our shittiness in football and men’s basketball (obviously not as important) to poo-poo the accomplishment. My feeling is if they keep score, I’d like Texas to be the best, or at least aspire to it, or don’t bother fielding a team. We’re all beyond frustrated at the results of football over the years. Virtue signaling about how oh so upset you are about football compared to everyone else by by vomiting all over this thread makes no sense, and doesn’t make you a superior football fan. 

To be honest, I’m upset we’re terrible in women’s soccer, which is at least as inexplicable as being an average football program. Am I AS upset? Not even remotely. Nothing soccer ever does is going to equal Vince crossing the goal line versus USC. Nothing any other sport does will be its equivalent. Just as fielding losing teams year after year in football when I grew up during a time that was inconceivable, and now it’s another Monday, honestly makes my head explode. But I can still find room to wonder what kind of explicit photos Angela Kelly maintains to keep her job. 

Anyway, I’d love for the tower to be lit up with that big number 1 six times in one year. That would be amazing. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, Jambon said:

People who crap on the Director's Cup are idiots.  UT wants the best students and student/athletes to come on campus.  Success in other sports other than football or basketball is extremely important.  These successful athletes go on and represent the University in places like the Olympics (swimming and T&F), major golf tournaments (Speith, Scheffler), etc.  All this is damn important for UT's brand recognition nationally and internationally. 

This. High caliber student athletes end up being very successful in life because they are more driven than others. We are producing future generations of Longhorn legends.

• Hook 'Em 2