2022 US Open - Brookline

Wally Fairway

Still a couple of weeks away, but today is the longest day in golf. 9 final qualifying sites playing today

RattleSnake Point - Ontario, Canada - 3 spots/22 players
Olympic Club - San Francisco - 5 spots/87 players
Club at Admirals Cove - Juniper, FL -  4 spots/71 players
Ansly - Roswell GA - 4 spots/69 players
Woodmont Rockville, MD -  4 spots/74 spots
Century/Old Oaks - Purchase NY - 5 spots/92 players
Kinsale/Wedgewood - Columbus, OH 13 spots/106 players
Springfield - Springfield, OH 8 spots/77 players
Pronghorn - Bend, OR - 3 spots/65 players

Local Qualifying - 2022 U.S. Open Championship | USGA (usopen.com)

• Like 1

Springfield used to be a good place to qualify, the nearby Columbus qualifier looks like a PGA event. 

But this year Springfield has it's share of name, besides Snedeker there is Sahith Theegala, Merritt, Cam Davis,  Scott Piercy, Robert Streb, Hossler, and a contingent from Michigan including Ryan Brehm (MSU), Brian Stuard (Oakland U), Patrick WIlkes-Krier (UM), Kyle Gaines (UofD Mercy), Payne Gniewek (MSU) and a couple of am's who made it through local Q's.

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Springfield used to be a good place to qualify, the nearby Columbus qualifier looks like a PGA event. 

But this year Springfield has it's share of name, besides Snedeker there is Sahith Theegala, Merritt, Cam Davis,  Scott Piercy, Robert Streb, Hossler, and a contingent from Michigan including Ryan Brehm (MSU), Brian Stuard (Oakland U), Patrick WIlkes-Krier (UM), Kyle Gaines (UofD Mercy), Payne Gniewek (MSU) and a couple of am's who made it through local Q's.

Do you know why the number of spots available varies by location. In other words, Springfield will fill 8 spots from 77 players, while the Olympic Club fills 5 spots from 84 players? Is it tied to the quality of players attempting to qualify? 

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Do you know why the number of spots available varies by location. In other words, Springfield will fill 8 spots from 77 players, while the Olympic Club fills 5 spots from 84 players? Is it tied to the quality of players attempting to qualify? 

The number of spots at each site are based on the size and strength of the field. Though I'm not sure what the factors are to determine strength of field.

16 have qualified previously (3 from a final in Japan, and 13 from Dallas, and no qualifying was done in Europe this year); and there are about 90 players who are exempt from qualifying.

I love to watch a qualifier playoff

GOLF’S LONGEST DAY – JUNE 6 ON GOLF CHANNEL

GOLF Channel surrounds “Golf’s Longest Day” with 10 hours of live coverage on Monday, June 6, featuring live coverage and reports from U.S. Open final qualifying sites around the country. GOLF channel reporters will be on-site at various courses while the GOLF Channel studio will break down the results deep into the evening. More details about GOLF Channel’s coverage of “Golf’s Longest Day” will be announced in the coming days.

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I know little about The Country Club other than that it is as old school as it comes. Is it just a typical parkland course? What are its distinguishing qualities?  

Rolling hills,  lots of native areas,  small greens, several with false fronts and many are elevated,  and big tough bunker complexes.  I know they've pulled out  a bunch of trees but I haven't seen pics or anything. 

I dont know what the yardage is now.... used to only be like 6600 but I'm sure it's well north of 7 for next week. 

I just hope the usga doesn't fuck it up. It's definitely a shot makers course and I hope the rough and native areas are thick enough to punish guys just trying to bomb it,  but not unplayable lost ball type stuff. 

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

6 hours will be ads.

no shit - I tried to see if they had coverage of any of the playoffs, and every time I flipped channels it was a commercial.

Also - they have updated the field, and the header indicates 155 of 156 have qualified. I'm guessing someone can win their way in this week, not really sure though.

Road to The Country Club - 2022 U.S. Open Championship | USGA (usopen.com) (make sure you choose show all as the selector

On 6/6/2022 at 2:14 PM, TonyTexas said:

I know little about The Country Club other than that it is as old school as it comes. Is it just a typical parkland course? What are its distinguishing qualities?  

Golf Digest article on the course.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brookline-country-club-old-style-new-challenges

There is a video in the article with a flyover of the course but I am not smart enough to get it to embed here.

17 hours ago, ScottS said:

Golf Digest article on the course.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brookline-country-club-old-style-new-challenges

There is a video in the article with a flyover of the course but I am not smart enough to get it to embed here.

No idea how to embed the video from the GD page, buy they posted the same video on their youtube page:

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/10/2022 at 2:52 PM, Blotto said:

No idea how to embed the video from the GD page, buy they posted the same video on their youtube page:

Showing my age.  I really never think to look on YouTube for something like this.

So get your TV clicker ready: (not all times are EDT)
Peacock - early first/second round coverage - Thur/Fri 6:45-9:30 am & 7:00-8:00pm, Sat 10:00 -Noon, Sun 9:00- 10:00 am
USA - mid day coverage - Thur 9:30am - 2:00pm & 5:00 - 7:00 pm, Fri 9:30 am - 4:00pm, Sun 10:00 am - Noon
NBC - prime time coverage - Thur  2:00 - 5:00 pm, Fri 4:00 - 7:00 pm, Sat Noon - 8:00 pm, Sun Noon - 7:00 pm

Featured groups and selected holes are streaming at usopen.com (at least I think that is where they are available, not sure if this is ppv)

2022 U.S. Open: Television and Live Streaming Schedule - 2022 U.S. Open Championship | USGA (usopen.com)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

What big names are NOT playing this week, other than Tiger?

Nobody - golf monthly listed the 7 biggest names not playing
Tiger, Rickie, Wolff, Bubba, Beelzebub (or however it's spelled), Westy, GMac - 7 Big Names Missing The US Open | Golf Monthly
I think Rickie is currently the 1st alternate (or so I read somewhere)

Other than that Paul Casey is injured, exempt for finishing T10 in 2021 Open, and Kaymer withdrew (former champion, still on 10 year exemption)

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mileslong said:

USGA doing bits, look who’s lockers are side by side, lulz

3e0870545a49cce98f5b87ba15e0a92c.jpg

Must be the 2020s version of the Prick Pairing.

The groupings for the US Open have long been a source of amusement for golf insiders.

As revealed in John Feinstein’s book Open, former USGA executive directors Frank Hannigan and David Fay instigated a number of traditions, including putting three players together who were generally disliked by fellow golfers, known informally as the “prick pairing”.

At the 1998 US Open, born-again Christians Tom Lehman, Bernhard Langer and Steve Jones were grouped together, nicknaming themselves the “God squad”, while golfers who were known to enjoy the nightlife were routinely assigned the earliest start times in the morning.

According to Feinstein, Fay decided he’d gone too far one year at the US Women’s Open when he grouped three players together because they’d all been in therapy.

“That was over the top,” Fay said.

So I watched some of the golf channel this morning, and all they talked about was the LIV. Very little discussion of Rory's win, or even about this weeks event....what is it....oh yeah the US Open. 
The Saudi's message board must be full of people posting how much they live in the PGA head. 

BDC interview bit that I saw basically said he it was a business decision, allowing him more time with this family and to play enough golf to support them and allow him more time outside the game.  I guess as a US Open champion that gets him a few years exemption into majors.

It will be interesting to see how players react when the drop in the OWGR and are no longer invited to the majors, Players Champions, etc.

So I watched some of the golf channel this morning, and all they talked about was the LIV. Very little discussion of Rory's win, or even about this weeks event....what is it....oh yeah the US Open. 
The Saudi's message board must be full of people posting how much they live in the PGA head. 

Brooks Koepka, of all people, is the hero we didn’t know we needed. He is also sick of all of this shit about LIV during US Open week.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Tee times are now posted

Tee Times - 2022 U.S. Open Championship | USGA (usopen.com)

Of interest (nothing goofy jumped out at me)

7.29 (1) Jordan, Adam Scott, Homa
7.40 (10) Rory, Matsuyama, Xander
1.14 (1) JT, Viktor, Finau
1.25 (10) Brooks, Cam Smith, Scottie
1.47 (1) Phil, Lowry, Oosty

So 6:30am central tee time for Spieth.

west coast majors > east coast majors 

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

So 6:30am central tee time for Spieth.

west coast majors > east coast majors 

Yes - Chambers Bay was great, and yet somehow I really like waking up early in the morning to watch the British Open.
Also being on the left coast sucks for watching sports, when I visit Seattle it is like sports don't exist in the evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

BDC interview bit that I saw basically said he it was a business decision, allowing him more time with this family and to play enough golf to support them and allow him more time outside the game.  I guess as a US Open champion that gets him a few years exemption into majors.

It will be interesting to see how players react when the drop in the OWGR and are no longer invited to the majors, Players Champions, etc.

Right after the BDC clip was played today, I think it was Brandel Chamblee who roasted BDC about how few events he's played recently and during his PGA career.

At least BDC admits it's about the money, but BDC's comments about more free time during his interview just seemed like BS. 

BDC wants both the money from LIV and to play on the PGA whenever he wants... 

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Tee times are now posted

Tee Times - 2022 U.S. Open Championship | USGA (usopen.com)

Of interest (nothing goofy jumped out at me)

7.29 (1) Jordan, Adam Scott, Homa
7.40 (10) Rory, Matsuyama, Xander
1.14 (1) JT, Viktor, Finau
1.25 (10) Brooks, Cam Smith, Scottie
1.47 (1) Phil, Lowry, Oosty

Not sure how pairings are done for The US Open, but I'm tired of Adam Scott being paired in the first 2 Rds with Spieth.  Pretty sure this is already the 3rd time it's happened in 2022...  

Right after the BDC clip was played today, I think it was Brandel Chamblee who roasted BDC about how few events he's played recently and during his PGA career.
At least BDC admits it's about the money, but BDC's comments about more free time during his interview just seemed like BS. 
BDC wants both the money from LIV and to play on the PGA whenever he wants... 

I like when BDC was going through his talking points he said “it allows me to spend more time with my family, errr, future family”. First time I’ve hear someone say they wanted to spend more time with their future family lulz
  • Haha 2

Man, fuck these guys that are chasing big paydays and can't admit the truth (that's all it is).  Pretty sure I read the book - well, I KNOW I didn't learn about it in the movie - but this is where Francis Ouimet took on the badasses of his day and created a story for the ages.  Those guys had the money and everything, but he prevailed. 

The guys that are successful today are ALL going to be rich, so Rory and John and others are right.  It IS about the history and level of competition, etc., and not just the payday for guys on this level.  

And I meant to say - if they would just say "Fuck yeah, I'm all in it for the (extra) millions" I'd respect it more.  Fuck your time with family, etc.  Anyone making that kind of money pretty much has to make some significant sacrifices, along with tons of people that don't make any serious money but work hard.  Just own it, guys.

23 hours ago, grazinhorn said:

And I meant to say - if they would just say "Fuck yeah, I'm all in it for the (extra) millions" I'd respect it more.  Fuck your time with family, etc.  Anyone making that kind of money pretty much has to make some significant sacrifices, along with tons of people that don't make any serious money but work hard.  Just own it, guys.

Why can’t it be both?  I wouldn’t want to spend 60% of my year on the road away from my wife and kids if I didn’t have to. It’s a tough schedule. I’m not crying for them but I would bet the number 1 gripe of the vast majority of pros would be the time away from family on the road. Looking to fix that doesn’t seem abnormal. The money is surely #1 but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other considerations. 
Really hope to see Jordan in contention. Golf is so much more fun for me when he’s on the leaderboard. 

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why can’t it be both?  I wouldn’t want to spend 60% of my year on the road away from my wife and kids if I didn’t have to. It’s a tough schedule. I’m not crying for them but I would bet the number 1 gripe of the vast majority of pros would be the time away from family on the road. Looking to fix that doesn’t seem abnormal. The money is surely #1 but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other considerations. 
Really hope to see Jordan in contention. Golf is so much more fun for me when he’s on the leaderboard. 

My uncle was a cunt’s hair away from dying on 9/11.  Anyone that choses to align themselves with the Saudi’s can get fucked.  End of fucking story.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My uncle was a cunt’s hair away from dying on 9/11.  Anyone that choses to align themselves with the Saudi’s can get fucked.  End of fucking story.

They are bad guys- no doubt.
Deleted a long response. This thread is about the US open. This thing probably needs its own thread.