Breaking: Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan has been assassinated

Laxtonto

This could become very bad very quickly because of both the current instability in that part of the world and the current issues within Japan culturally.

Sounds like he was shot multiple times in the back (maybe with a shotgun) and was unconscious upon arrival at the hospital with cardiopulmonary arrest.

The Japanese reporters sound to be in shock and are really struggling with this on the air.

Rumors are already out that he has died at the hospital.  This is shocking.

Edited by Laxtonto
Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Insane story.  Gun violence in Japan is just about unheard of.

Only a matter of time until people here start figuring out you can make a much bigger splash by going after politicians rather than school children and random.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Laxtonto said:

Suspect is in custody. Man in his 40s. They just showed it on NHK World...

Holy shit...

yeah just watched it in your link. smoke but then looks like Abe is still just standing there. then they pause it. weird. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Superhero said:

image.png.418a200701917a5a3c0fb44064456499.png

There are a few Japanese words I don't understand, but they also use a lot of Chinese characters.

The second line essentially says his heart stopped.

The NHK World link in youtube is for the most part is translating live and using English broadcast right now.

1 minute ago, staboner said:

yeah just watched it in your link. smoke but then looks like Abe is still just standing there. then they pause it. weird. 

Earlier they showed the full thing, but it wasnt supe clear. Could see smoke, then smoke again and he dropped

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Based on what I can piece together between the various video clips, the pile of dudes in the top right is the security team carrying off the shooter. The gun is visible on the ground. Abe is on the ground with all the orange and yellow shirts.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

Based on what I can piece together between the various video clips, the pile of dudes in the top right is the security team carrying off the shooter. The gun is visible on the ground. Abe is on the ground with all the orange and yellow shirts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Well that sounds familiar

Japan is seriously hurting from an internal cultural identity crisis, an aging population, and extremely stressed financial markets. The entire country has been looking into the abyss for over a decade and this will only shock them further.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

They just gave out the guys name on air.

Any of you guys that know guns have any idea what that gun is?

Lots of Twitter buzz saying it looks like a homemade gun (3D printer?) and ammo (due to the excessive smoke). Getting a gun is basically impossible in Japan. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Japan is seriously hurting from an internal cultural identity crisis, an aging population, and extremely stressed financial markets. The entire country has been looking into the abyss for over a decade and this will only shock them further.

Abe was a pretty far to the right nationalist right? Has Japan been nearly as tribalized as America? I guess with the Japanese culture it would be tougher to tell from the outside. 

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Abe was a pretty far to the right nationalist right? Has Japan been nearly as tribalized as America? I guess with the Japanese culture it would be tougher to tell from the outside. 

He has ties to an ultra nationalist group and had taken actions to alienate and upset Japan’s Asian neighbors. No clue if that matters here. It’s terrible. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

15 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Lots of Twitter buzz saying it looks like a homemade gun (3D printer?) and ammo (due to the excessive smoke). Getting a gun is basically impossible in Japan. 

Looking how he is holding that, I can see how people think it is a homemade weapon.

(Alt text: Blurry photo depicting a fallen weapon on a street. The weapon look improvised made with two pipe duct taped to plank. The weapon seems like a homemade shotgun. On the background a scuffle seems happening.)

Edited by Laxtonto
Better image

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

Looking at their care flight doesn't looks like a ton of urgency there..

The huge blue tarp to hide him from view when they placed him into the medflight was weird.

This video was when they flew him out of Nara. This blue tarp thing is just weird

This is essentially when he was shot.

A few things I see right off the bat. If the first shot missed, how did it not hit the crowd in front of him. If he didn't miss, that is two barrels of either shot/shrapnel (which seems unlikely with the limited blood pool when you see him lying on the ground) or some form of slug. If he got hit with one or two slugs at that range in the back (some even say neck) I am not seeing how this isn't fatal to a man in his late 60s.

I haven't seen all the videos, but if there was a lot of smoke, it was probably a homemade blackpowder firearm. The pics don't really look like a slamfire type gun, and you would need commercial ammunition for something like that anyhow. My bet is it was just two pieces of pipe with some sort of electronic ignition source to make things easy. Black powder isn't too complicated to make, but it does take a bit of knowledge. Making good black powder is a bit tougher (part of the reason the classic American longrifles had such long barrels, they couldn't make very good black powder in the colonies at the time), but at close range it doesn't matter all that much.

Spoiler

First time I have seen this image. Spoilered it because though it is not gory or even borderline, it does show him down receiving medical care.

I don't know enough about emergency medical care to reason out exactly what is going on, but there is no visible exit wound and limited visible blood loss. This provides me some hope that the reports of his death may be premature.

34 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:
  Hide contents

First time I have seen this image. Spoilered it because though it is not gory or even borderline, it does show him down receiving medical care.

I don't know enough about emergency medical care to reason out exactly what is going on, but there is no visible exit wound and limited visible blood loss. This provides me some hope that the reports of his death may be premature.

Wouldnt you prefer for the projectile to exit rather (what is likely?) a bunch of shots lodged in his body?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Breaking: Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan has been assassinated