Austin FC

Bottlecap

On 9/30/2021 at 12:36 PM, Bottlecap said:

what a fucking betrayal to the fans. momentum is key going into next season, but i guess they already got their renewals so fuck us i guess, we gotta see if the 23rd man on the bench is gonna pan out.

Here’s a fun fact about that guy.

Edited by skittlebrau

Beautiful night. Mediocre game. Terrible officiating. But the failure to close is maddening. And Cecilio is a momentum-killer. He’s get fed the ball in the corner of the box….and it just dies. He sits in it, let’s the defense get set, and the attack dies. Over and over.

Was thinking the same thing about killing any momentum etc.

Nice night and was fun. I go into the game expecting a loss so it’s not a kick in the nuts like UT or Astros

Beautiful night. Mediocre game. Terrible officiating. But the failure to close is maddening. And Cecilio is a momentum-killer. He’s get fed the ball in the corner of the box….and it just dies. He sits in it, let’s the defense get set, and the attack dies. Over and over.

Twice, he received the ball in the left at the edge of the box. He was against two defenders who were in the box. Instead of driving forward and trying to draw a penalty kick, he pivots around out of the box and passes it away to Minnesota.

On another play, his shot was blocked and he instantly turned his back and faced the crowd with his hands on his face mourning his miss while the ball was fumbled just waiting for an easy follow up kick.

Just infuriating lack of basic soccer intelligence.
  • Like 1

Twice, he received the ball in the left at the edge of the box. He was against two defenders who were in the box. Instead of driving forward and trying to draw a penalty kick, he pivots around out of the box and passes it away to Minnesota.

On another play, his shot was blocked and he instantly turned his back and faced the crowd with his hands on his face mourning his miss while the ball was fumbled just waiting for an easy follow up kick.

Just infuriating lack of basic soccer intelligence.

This. Several of those happened right in front of me, and I was yelling at him by name - “fucking SHOOT! Or pass! NOW!” I guess I need to yell in Spanish next time, because he can sure as shit hear me.

The “futz around in the box” thing isn’t unique to him, but he’s the worst. Pochettino did it too on the shot he took at the south end. Whirl around and shoot on the first touch, blind. You know the goal - which is big AF - is right there. Yes, you’re not set, and won’t know exactly where it’s going….BUT NEITHER WILL THE KEEPER.

If I was coach, I’d spend half of every practice on one-touch shots. Just take them. I don’t care if you miss. Just take them. They need to learn that a shot with 30% accuracy, when the keeper is only 20% set, is a winning combination.

4 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Romana is a beast in the back. I got to see him close Saturday in the first half. Absolutely everything that came near him was dealt with. He didn't lose out in anything in the air and was solid 1-on-1.

Glad we have him.

No doubt. Because Cascante and Lima on the other side are terrifying.

i've done a 180 on cecilio.  he has fantastic skill and a great motor but he kills attacks more than he contributes. 

fagundez on the sideline missed three chances in the first half to play the ball through to djitte on his second touch.  instead he took a few more  than necessary allowing SJ to get back on defense before advancing the attack.  biggest difference between european leagues and the MLS.  drives me nuts.  

17 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Romana is a beast in the back. I got to see him close Saturday in the first half. Absolutely everything that came near him was dealt with. He didn't lose out in anything in the air and was solid 1-on-1.

Glad we have him.

The problem with Romana is that he's good for an epic blooper every two games or so, where his mistakes directly lead to goals from either completely whiffing on a tackle or making a terrible pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Theo Huxtable said:

The problem with Romana is that he's good for an epic blooper every two games or so, where his mistakes directly lead to goals from either completely whiffing on a tackle or making a terrible pass.

This.  I'm glad he was there when Matt Besler fell out, but it scares me every time he gets the ball.  He's actually stronger at reactionary defense than he is if he has a little time, IMHO.

Yeah the passing out of the back has taken a serious nosedive since besler has been out. It really restricts our ability to move the ball forward quickly and teams generally can get into a decent defensive shape before we’re anywhere threatening with the ball. So much of our offense has been from unexpected turnovers in the middle third.