2022 House elections

Gil Bang

55 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I haven’t made my final decisions yet but I am pretty sure I will vote 90%+ Democrat this year.  I will never vote for anyone who doesn’t reject Trump and the big lie.  So all that is to say I wouldn’t say I’ve done a complete 180 but I vote wildly different than I would have as a younger man.  

You likely don’t have any chronic health conditions that republicans actively work against preventing health insurance coverage or affordable prescriptions. Congratulations for being born in the deep end of the gene pool. Others aren’t so fortunate. Please consider this when you vote. 

https://news.yale.edu/2022/07/05/insulin-extreme-financial-burden-over-14-americans-who-use-it

6 minutes ago, GenXer said:

You likely don’t have any chronic health conditions that republicans actively work against preventing health insurance coverage or affordable prescriptions. Congratulations for being born in the deep end of the gene pool. Others aren’t so fortunate. Please consider this when you vote. 

https://news.yale.edu/2022/07/05/insulin-extreme-financial-burden-over-14-americans-who-use-it

Wtf? Did you accidentally respond to the wrong post?  I said I will likely vote 90% democrat.  I’m pro universal healthcare.

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

NBC news out with a poll today that showed 48-47 GOP. This late in the election only being down 1 tells me that at least we won’t see a red wave like in 2010 or 2014.

It would be a big surprise to see anything resembling a red wave.  51-50 Dem senate with a 225-210 GOP house is prolly where things currently project.  Not the end of the world.  Dems are lucky the red team sent out 2 mentally defectives for senate in swing states.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nationwide aggregated Congressional 'waves', be they blue or red...DON'T MAKE A SHIT!  It's 20-30 swing districts that are truly competitive that setup majority, new Speaker, and committee assignments.  And that's what sets up the failure of a proper 2024 election.  I don't give fuck one if you Democrats have 100mm people turn our in next two weeks for midterms.  You don't hold the house, you don't hold shit.  

Oh, the districts in some states are gerrymandered?  Boo-fucking hoo.  Why is that suddenly a surprise?  Did they just invent State Legislatures after the 2020 census?  If all of us aren't taking at least 2 other people with us to the polls next week to early vote, we can all get fucked. Doing your part isn't enough anymore.  You gotta go above and beyond.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:59 PM, Biff Tannen said:

If they do this, call their bluff.  You want to take us all down?  Let's roll motherfuckers.

The problem is, if the GQP is dumb enough to default, we can kiss our reserve currency status goodbye.  That would be the end of the American economy as we know it.  These people are fucking dangerous to EVERY single fucking person in this country, even their billionaires and corporations.  

On 10/18/2022 at 9:27 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

to your point:

NPR this morning, interviewing so called "swing" voters in Atlanta suburbs. One woman was "concerned" about abortion access, but also concerned about "the economy". She said she was more concerned about the economy because if she ever needed an abortion there would be somewhere she could go to get it.

rage

Dems suck at messaging in that the general public believes that the GOP is good for the economy. Very few (no?) stats prove that out. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The problem is, if the GQP is dumb enough to default, we can kiss our reserve currency status goodbye.  That would be the end of the American economy as we know it.  These people are fucking dangerous to EVERY single fucking person in this country, even their billionaires and corporations.  

Right, I get that, which is why I think they are full of shit.  The MTGs of the world would do it, but the ones at the top know they can't take the entire world economy down without being swept up in it themselves. 

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Right, I get that, which is why I think they are full of shit.  The MTGs of the world would do it, but the ones at the top know they can't take the entire world economy down without being swept up in it themselves. 

Yeah, I don't.  I think they are dumb enough to do it.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dems suck at messaging in that the general public believes that the GOP is good for the economy. Very few (no?) stats prove that out. 

We’ve had 3 major recessions near the end of the last 3 GOP presidents tenures. If voters support the GOP, they deserve what’s coming to them.

1992 - elder bush. Iraq war and economy was in the toilet.

2008 - W bush. “Weapons of mass destruction” which we never found any. Should’ve left saddam in place because the Middle East became much more unstable without him. Putting 2 wars on credit cards while simultaneously passing 2 huge tax cuts pretty much tanked the world economy and resulted in what will hopefully be the worst recession of our lifetimes.

2020- Donald trump. Passed a massive tax cut for the rich while the economy was doing well. Didn’t need to pass the tax cut at all, but I guess the GOP felt like they had to do something and a bunch of crusty old rich white dudes ( I’m white) can’t think of anything else to do, but make their pockets deeper. The coronavirus wasn’t Donald trumps fault of course, but he gave the virus a crucial 2 or 3 months to spread unabated while he pretended the virus wasn’t a problem in order to try and preserve the stock market. 3 months later,  little Jared Kushner was in charge of the White House covid response, they analyzed that nothing but blue states were getting hammered by covid at the time and they didn’t want to help those states out and make it look like they were “ helping the libs” when the trump administration spent 100% of their time trying to own the libs.

so yeah……if the American public votes for these people. We’re fucked, but most Americans are stupid and have terrible memories or terrible awareness so fuck them.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's not so much a messaging problem as a media problem and that these fucking morons who vote think "economy = gas prices and stock market and tax cuts" and not, y'know, job growth, wage growth, unemployment rate. 

Not that I'm worried, but we got some Alaska polling that shows Pelota is fucking ON FIRE.

52% positive rating (only 33% for Palin and 32% for Begich)

48.9% in the first round of voting
50.5% in the second after Chris Bye is eliminated.  WINNER.

If it went H2H with Palin or Begich

Pelota 57-Palin 43
Pelota 56-Begich 44

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's not so much a messaging problem as a media problem and that these fucking morons who vote think "economy = gas prices and stock market and tax cuts" and not, y'know, job growth, wage growth, unemployment rate. 

Since the average person cannot grasp economic issues, and half the population is below that average person, you need extremely simple messaging to prove you're the party to help with economic prosperity.  The Dems have too long allowed themselves to be painted as the party of economic stagnation.

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Since the average person cannot grasp economic issues, and half the population is below that average person, you need extremely simple messaging to prove you're the party to help with economic prosperity.  The Dems have too long allowed themselves to be painted as the party of economic stagnation.

It’s too easy for republicans. When they’re in trouble, all they have to do is talk about some caravan heading to the US border, crime in urban areas, or gas prices because dems are “hostile” to the oil and gas industry.

It’s too easy for republicans. When they’re in trouble, all they have to do is talk about some caravan heading to the US border, crime in urban areas, or gas prices because dems are “hostile” to the oil and gas industry.

When is the last time a Dem pointed out that gas prices would be higher if not for fuel efficiency standards, EV subsidies, alternative fuel subsidies? Republicans focus on oil production because their lobbyists want them to focus on it, and lower gas prices is the rationale the lobbyists push. For Dems, the focus is environment and they kind of forget about the more immediate concerns of much of the public.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

When is the last time a Dem pointed out that gas prices would be higher if not for fuel efficiency standards, EV subsidies, alternative fuel subsidies? Republicans focus on oil production because their lobbyists want them to focus on it, and lower gas prices is the rationale the lobbyists push. For Dems, the focus is environment and they kind of forget about the more immediate concerns of much of the public.

That’s the problem. Self inflicted wounds.

the dems are so pro environment that it hurts them with voters who think they’re out of touch. Some people don’t even think about the weather when they’re only focusing on paying bills.

the squad infamously said “defund the police” and we’re still paying for it today with all of the GOP “back the blue” flags, bumper stickers, and rhetoric. A small slice of the democratic base said something crazy and they tie it to all of us. Defund the police still is connected to crime because democrat run cities on the west coast are flush with homeless people, needles, and drugs.

in the 2021 Virginia governor race, Terry Mccauliffe infamously said that “parents shouldn’t be involved in their childrens education”. The GOP pounced and all over the country republicans are now obsessed with education and curriculums in the classroom.

The GOP is very opportunistic and good at the politics game. They know they have nothing to offer 90% of the people who vote for them. Only the rich benefit from their policies, but they’re able to trick people into voting for them with distractions and fear tactics. They scare people into thinking that a horde of brown people will come around the corner wherever they live any minute. They tell you that your kids teachers are encouraging promiscuous sex and giving your kids tips on how to do the deed. They tell you that illegals will cross the border and give your innocent little children Halloween candy laced with drugs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

it doesn’t matter what shitwater is coming out, their hose is much bigger. fox news and facebook = game over. 

this is not a messaging issue. 

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

THE SQUAD NEVER EVER SAID “DEFUND THE POLICE” FOR FUCKS SAKEEEEEEEE

Your political hot takes suck.

The level of vitriol in political posts reminds me of the law wisdom of “… and when you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table.”

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is among the proponents of the call to defund the police, and a recent post on her Instagram story on the subject quickly went viral, after it was screenshotted and shared by Twitter user Ashley Quan. Asked, "What does an America with defunded police look like to you?" Ocasio-Cortez responded, "It looks like a suburb."

https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/media/in-the-news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-was-asked-about-defunding-police-and-her-answer-went

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Many of the more moderate house democrats strongly believe that the “defund the police” comment, and things like it, were a major reason why millions of voters unfortunately split their ticket in 2020. People saw that Biden was going to win and didn’t want to give him and the Democratic Party too much power. 

It was a big surprise and disappointment because if you analyze the way the Trump administration and republicans handled the covid pandemic, they definitely deserved to be and should’ve been punished at the polls. It seems like Americans get angry and lash out while democrats are in power, but when republicans are in power they make excuses for them and shrug things off.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Many of the more moderate house democrats strongly believe that the “defund the police” comment, and things like it, were a major reason why millions of voters unfortunately split their ticket in 2020. People saw that Biden was going to win and didn’t want to give him and the Democratic Party too much power. 

It was a big surprise and disappointment because if you analyze the way the Trump administration and republicans handled the covid pandemic, they definitely deserved to be and should’ve been punished at the polls. It seems like Americans get angry and lash out while democrats are in power, but when republicans are in power they make excuses for them and shrug things off.

the right has been very effective at the whole 'overton window' approach.  they say stupid shit that is far right, no one punishes them from it, and the world moves to the right while we are all relieved they didn't implement the absolute worst of it.  when the left tries it -- which i think the defund stuff was -- they end up getting smacked around for being naive.  

16 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

If we lose in 2022, and 2024 goes to the worst case scenario, the dark, grim part of me is going to almost hope these fuckers screw up this country as bad as we believe they will in the next 4 years. Economic collapse, roll-backs on democracy, worldwide ridicule and getting railroaded by China and probably Russia, all of it. Burn it down and maybe I'll enjoy the glimmer of realizations when the country is made into a permanent shithole at their hands. 

Except I have a small son. So fuck, fuck, fucking goddamnit. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

If we lose in 2022, and 2024 goes to the worst case scenario, the dark, grim part of me is going to almost hope these fuckers screw up this country as bad as we believe they will in the next 4 years. Economic collapse, roll-backs on democracy, worldwide ridicule and getting railroaded by China and probably Russia, all of it. Burn it down and maybe I'll enjoy the glimmer of realizations when the country is made into a permanent shithole at their hands. 

Except I have a small son. So fuck, fuck, fucking goddamnit. 

Yeah, this isn't like a sports franchise where you can tear it down and rebuild it.  We can't go into the shitter in an effort to be "reborn." There would be lasting negative consequences.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I agree that's probably what happened. 

But in a better world, where even the best republicans didn't suck ass, I'd love for an intelligent debate about whether moderates or progressives should run the Dem party.  But fuck anyone who gets their panties in an uproar about that given what the GOP is trying to do.

I'll be all over attacking progressives and identify politics types once we sow the current Republican party with salt.

This is the same margin KSTP/Survey USA had the special election back in August, in which Finstad won by 4 instead of 9. The Legalize Marijuana Now Party's candidate died a couple of weeks ago, and Reisdorf is the replacement. Absentee ballots went out with the deceased's name on them.

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

It's both. Yes, the media sucks. But everyone knows how the mainstream media works and how to manipulate them to give you good coverage. Republicans do it, Democrats think that's not sportsmanlike.

49 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Many of the more moderate House Democrats are among the stupidest people on earth.

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s a new theory that blue state Dems aren’t motivated bc abortion is already legal in their states and blue state Republicans are mad while red state Dems are angry and red state GOP are complacent. 

So some sort of coastal red wave crashes into a middle of the country blue wave and we all live in some weird purple haze? 

So continuing the "what the fuck is going to happen in less than 2 weeks" new NYT polling of 4 House races: 

• PA-08 (Trump+3 in 2020) — Cartwright* (D) 50, Bognet (R) 44

• KS-03 (Biden+4) — Davids* (D) 55, Adkins (R) 41

• NM-02 (Biden+6) — Vasquez (D) 48, Herrell* (R) 47

• NV-01 (Biden+8) — Titus (D) 47*, Robertson (R) 47

PA-08 is "tossup" with Cartwright overperforming by 12 points.  KS-03 is leans D and +14 is more like likely/solid D.  NM-02 has a PVI of D+1, so in line with that you'd expect and NV-01 is a tossup, but Nevada polls always suck (they underestimated Titus by 6 points in 2018). 

If I was an analyst, I'd just say everything is a tossup and I'd be right either way.  Because no one knows what is happening. 

On 10/25/2022 at 3:54 PM, Js1 said:

There’s a new theory that blue state Dems aren’t motivated bc abortion is already legal in their states and blue state Republicans are mad while red state Dems are angry and red state GOP are complacent. 

So some sort of coastal red wave crashes into a middle of the country blue wave and we all live in some weird purple haze? 

Seems very possible, if not likely, that Dems gain in the Senate while they lose control of the House.  That would suck immensely but right now I'd take that.