LBGTQ

Mo Horn

Local media still calling it an “unexpected death.” Went home after the fight and was later readmitted to the hospital and pronounced dead. Likely either a hemorrhage from the fight that kicked in later, or suicide. My guess is the latter. Parents misgendered and deadnamed them in the obituary. Hateful despicable parents. This is the side of wedge issues that I find unconscionable. Create hate to win votes, what are a few dead children in the long run?

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Local media still calling it an “unexpected death.” Went home after the fight and was later readmitted to the hospital and pronounced dead. Likely either a hemorrhage from the fight that kicked in later, or suicide. My guess is the latter. Parents misgendered and deadnamed them in the obituary. Hateful despicable parents. This is the side of wedge issues that I find unconscionable. Create hate to win votes, what are a few dead children in the long run?

I'm missing in the reading of that article an explicit connection to her being a member of the LBGQ and the fight.

Is it just a strong implication and very likely scenario that we are responding to or did I miss where it was explicitly stated they were beat up for simply being a they?

This is a tragedy either way and either way it's a LBGQT community issues because of the victim, but I think knowing the intent/motive of the perps does take this story in one of two directions.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Fuck You 13

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

This.  Hearing the latter for a cause.  IMO, likely bullied by school and family.  ME report still not released.  Just awful. 

Edited by TeeDubya

2 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

This.  Hearing the latter for a cause.  IMO, likely bullied by school and family.  ME report still not released.  Just awful. 

Owasso HS is going to be CYA mode, but I suspect that justice for the victim will not be achieved. Owasso has grown a lot in the last three decades but it retains a lot of its 'small'-mindedness.

• Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Owasso HS is going to be CYA mode, but I suspect that justice for the victim will not be achieved. Owasso has grown a lot in the last three decades but it retains a lot of its 'small'-mindedness.

Sadly true.  Owasso's first wave of growth in the 60s/70s was white flight from parts of Tulsa as non-whites began to buy homes in traditionally white neighborhoods.

A little more information, but not much. At least this outlet is willing to refer to their gender identity and pronouns. It says because of "new information from the family" but the family's published obituary uses feminine pronouns and the "dead name," my guess is that the family is facing backlash and are giving in, especially if they know the report will be suicide, because lack of family support for children like this is very difficult and suicide rates are high.

The one thing I'll reserve judgment on is the school. Even in very conservative places, teachers and others willing to work at schools are much more open minded to students and their individual personalities, including in areas of race, gender, orientation, etc. It's also true that schools are limited in what they can release when minors are involved. The new statement says all of the students walked to the office under their own power, but the deceased was still taken to the hospital. They died the next day. There are some accounts circulating that the beating was severe and caused the death, but more and more its looking to me like suicide. I hope the conclusions are published. Nevertheless, it wouldn't surprise me if the school administrators are going easy on the perpetrators out of religious or political convictions. As I said, I'm reserving judgment on that one and won't be surprised either way.

https://www.fox23.com/news/16-year-old-owasso-student-laid-to-rest/article_08c168dc-cc75-11ee-a31b-97a242b29683.html?fbclid=IwAR2UYq8jNgub0phF_ANifQFYskaySkMf17gLpqc4fvavaDUHJJ0Sw_nUjDc

OPS releases statement regarding 16-year-old student's death

OX23 had been receiving conflicting information on Nex Benedict's gender identity and pronouns. Out of respect for Benedict and with new information from the family, we are referring to them in this story as Nex Benedict.

FOX23 works hard to provide news that is accurate and non-biased in our reporting. After numerous editorial conversations with our staff, we will use gender neutral pronouns in this story.

UPDATE (2/20/24) — Owasso Public Schools released a statement on Tuesday surrounding the death of 16-year-old student Nex Benedict, who was laid to rest on Thursday.

The school district released the following statement:

"Owasso Public Schools has cooperated fully with the investigation by the Owasso Police Department surrounding the death of a high school student on February 8, 2024. The district has limited its statements on the matter to this point due to the on-going investigation in an effort to not disrupt police, and out of respect and for the confidentiality for all involved. 

However, the speculation and misinformation surrounding the case has intensified in recent days. While there will still be pieces of information that the district will never be able to share due to federal privacy laws, we are reaching out to you today to address some of that misinformation, particularly statements that call into question the district’s commitment to student safety & security. We understand the importance of ensuring a safe and inclusive environment for all students and know that the information below doesn’t change the facts that a fight occurred on school grounds and a student passed away the next day.

We have worked with police to ensure that the information provided below will not disrupt their investigation. 

On the afternoon of Wednesday, February 7, 2024, a physical altercation occurred in a restroom at the Owasso High School West Campus.

Students were in the restroom for less than two (2) minutes and the physical altercation was broken up by other students who were present in the restroom at the time, along with a staff member who was supervising outside of the restroom.

Once the altercation was broken up, all students involved in the altercation walked under their own power to the assistant principal’s office and nurse’s office.
District administrators began taking statements from the students present in the restroom and began contacting parents/guardians of the students involved in the physical altercation.

Following district protocols, each of the students involved in the altercation was given a health assessment by a district registered nurse. Per district protocols, students needing further support are transported to a medical facility either by ambulance or by a parent/guardian, depending on the severity of the injuries and preference of the parent/guardian.

While it was determined that ambulance service was not required, out of an abundance of caution, it was recommended to one parent that their student visit a medical facility for further examination.

Per district protocols, the parents/guardians of students involved in a physical altercation are notified and informed of the option to file a police report should they choose. Should they choose to file a police report, school resource officers are made available to the parents/guardians either at that time or they can schedule an appointment, if they choose, at a later date. These practices were followed during this incident.

Physical altercations between students are unacceptable. Any student/s engaging in such action, jeopardizing the safety of others, will receive disciplinary consequences. These consequences can include out of school suspension for first offense. Due to federal privacy laws, we are unable to disclose the exact nature of disciplinary action taken against any student. That information can only be given to the parents/guardians of the student being disciplined. Any notion that the district has ignored disciplinary action toward those involved is simply untrue.

Additional counseling services were provided to students at the high school on Friday, February 9, and continue to be available for all students & staff.

We understand that for many, additional questions remain, however these are the facts that we are able to communicate at this juncture. We will continue to cooperate fully with the Owasso Police Department’s investigation. 

The loss of a student, a member of the Ram Family and the Owasso community, is devastating. We recognize the impact that this event has had on the entire school community and it is our priority to foster an environment where everyone feels heard, supported, and safe. If there is ever a concern about student safety or well-being, please reach out to a teacher, counselor or principal at your child’s school. As we continue to mourn the loss of this student, our hearts go out to their family and they will continue to be in our prayers. We are here to support them and everyone who has been affected by this situation."

OWASSO, Okla. — An Owasso student, 16-year-old Nex Benedict, was laid to rest on Thursday.

Police are still investigating their death.

A family member of Benedict told FOX23 they got into a fight at school, went to the hospital and was released, but was rushed back the next day before passing away.

Police don't know if Benedict's death was related to the fight. They say they are waiting on the autopsy and toxicology report from the medical examiner's office.

Police released the following statement:

"On February 7th, 2024, at approximately 3:30 p.m., the Owasso Police Department was summoned to a local hospital in reference to a report of a student who had been involved in a physical altercation at the Owasso High School prior to the end of school that day. No report of the incident was made to the Owasso Police Department prior to the notification at the hospital. Information was taken by a School Resource Officer who responded to the hospital. On February 8th, 2024, the Owasso Police Department was made aware that the juvenile was rushed back to a hospital where the student was pronounced dead. It is not known at this time if the death is related to the incident at the school or not. A thorough investigation is being conducted by Owasso Police Detectives who are currently awaiting an autopsy report and toxicology results.

There are laws regarding open records and confidential records and the Owasso Police Department will release all information required by law, but it is the Department’s policy to not release incident reports for cases that are under active investigation when there is risk of compromising or harming the investigation. We understand that people are concerned about this incident and we can assure everyone that this incident is being taken seriously and is being investigated thoroughly. Detectives have, are and will be interviewing school staff and students over the course of the next two weeks and in turn will be submitting our investigation to the Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office for prosecution review.

A final cause and manner of death will be determined by the State Medical Examiner’s Office.

The Owasso Police Department offers our condolences to the family, friends, fellow students, and loved ones of the deceased student and we will do our best to discover the truth."

FOX23 reached out to Owasso Public Schools to ask how people have reacted toward the school district regarding Benedict's death. They responded with the following:

"The district has received many inquiries about the situation. Some have been hateful in nature, including a few threats that we do not believe to be credible. However, any threat that we do receive will be turned over to the Owasso Police Department. The district has requested additional patrols around schools today."

According to an obituary, Benedict enjoyed nature, drawing, reading and loved their cat named Zeus.

Edited by 'stache

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A little more information, but not much. At least this outlet is willing to refer to their gender identity and pronouns. It says because of "new information from the family" but the family's published obituary uses feminine pronouns and the "dead name," my guess is that the family is facing backlash and are giving in, especially if they know the report will be suicide, because lack of family support for children like this is very difficult and suicide rates are high.

The one thing I'll reserve judgment on is the school. Even in very conservative places, teachers and others willing to work at schools are much more open minded to students and their individual personalities, including in areas of race, gender, orientation, etc. The new statement says all of the students walked to the office under their own power, but the deceased was still taken to the hospital. They died the next day. There are some accounts circulating that the beating was severe and caused the death, but more and more its looking to me like suicide. I hope the conclusions are published. Nevertheless, it wouldn't surprise me if the school administrators are going easy on the perpetrators out of religious or political convictions. As I said, I'm reserving judgment on that one and won't be surprised either way.

https://www.fox23.com/news/16-year-old-owasso-student-laid-to-rest/article_08c168dc-cc75-11ee-a31b-97a242b29683.html?fbclid=IwAR2UYq8jNgub0phF_ANifQFYskaySkMf17gLpqc4fvavaDUHJJ0Sw_nUjDc

Just remember, outcomes like this are what an entire political party in this country WANTS.  This event here?  That's a WIN to them.  Never forget that: if you are queer in any way, the GQP wants you dead

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I'm missing in the reading of that article an explicit connection to her being a member of the LBGQ and the fight.

Is it just a strong implication and very likely scenario that we are responding to or did I miss where it was explicitly stated they were beat up for simply being a they?

This is a tragedy either way and either way it's a LBGQT community issues because of the victim, but I think knowing the intent/motive of the perps does take this story in one of two directions.

Good point. Probably a drug deal gone wrong.

Eat shit asshole.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

What's the other direction you think this goes?

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just remember, outcomes like this are what an entire political party in this country WANTS.  This event here?  That's a WIN to them.  Never forget that: if you are queer in any way, the GQP wants you dead

Believe me, we know. It’s the non-queer crowd that needs the reminder.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:36 AM, 'stache said:

But one side has already jumped on this death for political use. Without knowing any facts.

What if it comes out she called the girls the "n" word? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 9

32 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

A lot of people jumping to conclusions on this one. It's sad that this girls death is immediately being used politically. 

29 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

This could've been a dating quarrel. Do you know the sexual orientation of the other girls involved? 

25 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

But one side has already jumped on this death for political use. Without knowing any facts.

What if it comes out she called the girls the "n" word? 

Ah yes, why discuss the most likely thing when we can endlessly speculate on things that have no basis in the facts as known. That sounds like a really reasonable way to approach this. Do you really think this is anything other than bullying? Have you actually read anything about it? Does the below sound like a dating quarrel?

KJRH-TV News 2 in neighboring Tulsa reported that a person knowledgeable of the events leading to the teen’s death, who claimed to be the mother of the victim’s best friend, told the station regarding the teen’s death:

“I think complications from brain trauma, head trauma, is what caused it,” she said.

The woman wouldn’t say the victim’s name but said [she] was a sophomore. She said the victim was outgoing and loyal once they got comfortable and was not afraid to be outspoken. The woman said three older girls were beating on the victim and her daughter in the girl’s bathroom.

“I know at one point, one of the girls was pretty much repeatedly beating [their] head across the floor,” she said. That’s when [they said] a teacher walked in and broke it up.

“[They] couldn’t walk to the nurses’ station on [their] own, and staff didn’t call the ambulance, which amazes me,” she said.

But sure, maybe the victim is just a racist. The super respectful and serious person is going to throw out that random bit of speculation.  No way that little bit of misdirection could ever be politically motivated, right? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Ah yes, why discuss the most likely thing when we can endlessly speculate on things that have no basis in the facts as known. That sounds like a really reasonable way to approach this. Do you really think this is anything other than bullying? Have you actually read anything about it? Does the below sound like a dating quarrel?

But sure, maybe the victim is just a racist. The super respectful and serious person is going to throw out that random bit of speculation.  No way that little bit of misdirection could ever be politically motivated, right? 

Could be politically motivated, but doubtful.  I know you desperately want this to be white cis gendered Christian females who felt it was their duty to beat up a "queer". But I guarantee there's a lot more nuance than that.  

• Fuck You 6

59 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Could be politically motivated, but doubtful.  I know you desperately want this to be white cis gendered Christian females who felt it was their duty to beat up a "queer". But I guarantee there's a lot more nuance than that.  

I don't want it to be anything. You're the one speculating, not me. Bullying, whether it is specifically because they were non-binary or not, appears to be cause. I don't know why there has to be any more nuance to it all. And I'm not sure why you think or want it to be more (but I could guess). Occam's razor says you're most likely going to be wrong. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Bullying, whether it is specifically because they were non-binary or not, appears to be cause.

According to several news articles, this (bullying) does appear to be the impetus for the fight in the (female) bathroom between the victim, another transgender youth, and several older girls (all unnamed save for Nex Benedict). One point is that due to Oklahoma law, students must use school bathrooms according to gender assigned at birth. I doubt that the adults involved will discuss that law as pertaining to any bullying (SEE: Earlier post, CYA mode). Also a quote by Benedict's biological grandmother, Sue Benedict, stated that she had raised Nex since Nex was two months old. Nex was a member of the Choctaw nation and while I agree that families do not always support non binary youth, we do not know exactly the reason for the family situation at this time.

I expect the ISD, the Oklahoma AG, the state's Secretary of Education and Superintendent of Instruction, and the Governor to offer thoughts and prayers and not lose a wink of sleep. I could elaborate on why that is, but it would go way off topic into the politics of a state that has been corrupt from before its inception.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pokoloco said:

Hmmmm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/oklahoma-death-nonbinary-student-nex-benedict-after-school/story?id=107384625

The student's mother, Sue Benedict, told the news outlet that Nex and another student had gotten in a fight with three older girls in the bathroom. It is not yet clear if their gender identities had a role in the altercation.

Nex had experienced several months of bullying from students, according to Sue Benedict in The Independent.

Nex's mother told the Independent that they had experience several months of bullying from students, and it followed state legislative policies that targeted the transgender community.

In recent years, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt has signed bills that required students to use bathrooms that match their sex assigned at birth citing safety, banned the use of nonbinary gender markers on IDs, restricted gender-affirming care and banned transgender girls from participating in girls' sports citing fairness.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7bn99/nex-benedict-oklahoma-lgbt-attacks

The day before they died, Nex Benedict, a nonbinary 16-year-old from Owasso, Oklahoma, said they got “jumped” at school and ended up in the hospital emergency room.

That’s according to text messages they sent to a family member, shared with Fox23. 

image.png.cbc7c116377f00db8d169f0cffeae5b1.png

Yup, definitely a result of Nex being a racist. Case closed @Pokoloco

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

The school suspended Nex. Jesus christ.

Ok, maybe Nex started this incident? Not saying there wasn't a lead up over months etc.. but maybe Nex had enough and snapped?  

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Definitely a result of her pouring water on someone...

• Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Pokoloco said:

Ok, maybe Nex started this incident? Not saying there wasn't a lead up over months etc.. but maybe Nex had enough and snapped?  

Why are you trying so hard to find a reason to defend her attackers and those that enabled them? In your newest scenario, is Nex now to blame if she snapped after being bullied for months?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

According to several news articles, this (bullying) does appear to be the impetus for the fight in the (female) bathroom between the victim, another transgender youth, and several older girls (all unnamed save for Nex Benedict). One point is that due to Oklahoma law, students must use school bathrooms according to gender assigned at birth. I doubt that the adults involved will discuss that law as pertaining to any bullying (SEE: Earlier post, CYA mode). Also a quote by Benedict's biological grandmother, Sue Benedict, stated that she had raised Nex since Nex was two months old. Nex was a member of the Choctaw nation and while I agree that families do not always support non binary youth, we do not know exactly the reason for the family situation at this time.

I expect the ISD, the Oklahoma AG, the state's Secretary of Education and Superintendent of Instruction, and the Governor to offer thoughts and prayers and not lose a wink of sleep. I could elaborate on why that is, but it would go way off topic into the politics of a state that has been corrupt from before its inception.

You think they would have been better off using the boys bathroom?

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

I wonder if anyone who assaulted Nex has been suspended, especially after Nex l i t e r a l l y died

12 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

You're seriously going with they died because they poured water on someone and not because they were bullied for being different? What the fuck is wrong with you? You want this desperately to be anything than a hate crime. Why is that? 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, royiv said:

Why are you trying so hard to find a reason to defend her attackers and those that enabled them? In your newest scenario, is Nex now to blame if she snapped after being bullied for months?

I'm not. That was in reply to someone wondering why Nex was suspended. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

You're seriously going with she died because she poured water on someone and not because she was bullied for being different? What the fuck is wrong with you? You want this desperately to be anything than a hate crime. Why is that? 

They*

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I wonder if anyone who assaulted Nex has been suspended, especially after Nex l i t e r a l l y died

Good question. Is that stated anywhere?  Usually schools have zero tolerance policies regardless of who started it.

Just now, safe sex said:

They*

Language matters, I agree.