• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Message Board User

2 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I think the downplaying is to

a) strengthen the narrative and mythos of our origin story (e.g. scrappy, tough-as-nails underdog against all odds, etc.) and

b) Hamilton actually touched on it well-- to downplay the debt owed to France being obligated and beholden to help them out for in-kind aid. 

Not sure about you all, but it was definitely part of my History learnin' growing up (in Texas).

In WW1 with our first troops sent over during the war, the below event is fairly historically reported:

"On July 2, 1917, United States troops made a symbolic march through Paris ending at the grave of the Marquis de Lafayette, who had convinced the French to aid in the American Revolution. Standing in front of the tomb, Colonel Charles Stanton famously declared, “Lafayette, we are here!” This phrase was largely attributed to General Pershing, though he did not say it. "

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I think the downplaying is to

a) strengthen the narrative and mythos of our origin story (e.g. scrappy, tough-as-nails underdog against all odds, etc.) and

b) Hamilton actually touched on it well-- to downplay the debt owed to France being obligated and beholden to help them out for in-kind aid. 

Good points. I would also add that culturally and economically the UK has and still is our closest ally.