Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

Unfiltered Surly is the best Surly. Gotta take the good with the bad, Yin/Yang!

If you run into an asshole on secrant/texagg, they’re the asshole. If you run into a lot of assholes on Surly, your in tall cotton!!

You run into an asshole in Columbus, Ohio, you are in Columbus, Ohio, what did you expect?

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’d like to think I know a thing or two about bad QB play having witnessed the past 13 years.

His body of work this year was garbage. Can he improve? Of course.

He has an arm. But does he have anything else that’s required to be a great QB? I guess we’ll find out.

It wasn’t garbage. He had some very good games, some average run of the mill games and some trash games. He had some incredible throws that only a few QB’s can make in any particular college year and some ugly misses and some bad decisions. All stuff you would expect from a college freshman QB if you aren’t a brain dead fucking moron. 
He’s got to get better?   No kidding. He’s a freshman. You can say that about literally every single freshman QB since the beginning of time. 

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I randomly picked Carson Palmer out of a hat.  Here are his redshirt freshman stats:  55.3%, 1755 yards, 7 TD, 6 INT

So, kinda like Quinn, although Quinn has a significantly better TD/INT ratio.

I randomly picked another USC Heisman winning QB- Matt Leinhart. He doesn’t have any stats from his freshman year because he didn’t play. 

Hmmmm. It’s almost like True Frosh stud QB’s aren’t really a thing. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It wasn’t garbage. He had some very good games, some average run of the mill games and some trash games. He had some incredible throws that only a few QB’s can make in any particular college year and some ugly misses and some bad decisions. All stuff you would expect from a college freshman QB if you aren’t a brain dead fucking moron. 
He’s got to get better?   No kidding. He’s a freshman. You can say that about literally every single freshman QB since the beginning of time. 

I was saying the same things mid-season (he’s a freshman, going to show flashes, do dumb shit, etc.) Then he kept getting worse as the season progressed. He looks completely lost out there.

I can’t explain why that’s the case, although my hunch is he doesn’t put in a ton of work during the week to be great. 

Maybe he grows up this off-season and decides to put in the work? We’ll see.

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d argue that the stretch between OU and yesterday was consistently bad-the KSU and KU games just look better by comparison to the other 2, but his completion percentage and ypa were both very poor. A far cry from how he looked early in the year. And that probably colors how his game yesterday was seen, which other than a couple of big mistakes, was actually solid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

I’d argue that the stretch between OU and yesterday was consistently bad-the KSU and KU games just look better by comparison to the other 2, but his completion percentage and ypa were both very poor. A far cry from how he looked early in the year. And that probably colors how his game yesterday was seen, which other than a couple of big mistakes, was actually solid.

He didn’t make any reads/throws yesterday that you wouldn’t expect any starting QB to be able to make. That he made them was to be expected.

Then he melted to the point where his coach decided to not pass the ball again. That ain’t exactly a sign of “hey good game, kid”.

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I didn’t think he was bad vs KSU or ISU. Those are good defenses. He looked great vs OU to many, but that was barely a functioning defense. Bama runs a lot of man, so the reads are not hard. People love to use the word regression. I tend to think it is more about film and competition. 

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I randomly picked Carson Palmer out of a hat.  Here are his redshirt freshman stats:  55.3%, 1755 yards, 7 TD, 6 INT

So, kinda like Quinn, although Quinn has a significantly better TD/INT ratio.

That’s a weird choice especially since Carson Palmer was awful basically his first three seasons. We cannot and should not continue forward with a Jr that throws 13 TDs and 12 INTs. Now obviously the example is someone who got better, but we ain’t waiting through 3 years of shit to get one year of great.

Going down just the past 5 Heisman winners:

Bryce Young- didn’t Play as a true frosh

Joe Burrow- didn’t play anything but backup his first 3 years. In his 4th year, after a transfer- he had a 133 QB rating. (Evers is 131 btw)

kyler Murray- as a true frosh had a 109 passer rating  sun 60 completion percentage 5 TD’s 7 INT’s  

baker mayfield- 128 passer rating  higher completion percentage than Quinn every other stat is worse  

Lamar Jackson- 127 passer rating  

So- Ewers has better numbers than 4 of the last 5 Heisman winning QB’s while Bama’s guy shot all over him. He had a true RS season and was plugged into the greatest juggernaut college football has ever seen.

If you want to look at all those numbers along with Sam’s,Colts, and VY’s and say it’s prima facia evidence Quinn can’t be the guy maybe you should take a step back and fuck your own face for being a mouth breathing moron.

None of this is me arguing Quinn will be great- that depends upon his desire and willingness to get better- but his numbers compare favorably with Heisman trophy winning guys in their freshman year and his ability to make impressive throws should be beyond dispute  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He didn’t make any reads/throws yesterday that you wouldn’t expect any starting QB to be able to make. That he made them was to be expected.

Hence “solid.”

Theres no room for nuance in this unfortunately (welcome to the internet!). He either is already a bust or you have to defend him tooth and nail as just having routine freshman struggles. 

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Then he melted to the point where his coach decided to not pass the ball again. That ain’t exactly a sign of “hey good game, kid”.

The OL couldn’t really pass protect yesterday, especially after the G went down.

Quinn was 12/16 for 190.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This is a lot of projection. Texas faced 2 3rd downs on the last 2 drives, where they just ran the ball. 1 was a 3rd and 4 and the other was a 3rd and goal from the 1. That 3rd and 4 was from the Baylor 37, which was likely 2 downs to get 4 yards situation. They didn’t even face a single 3rd down on the last TD drive. Why would you throw, when you are running 2 plays and getting a first down. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, formermav43 said:

Hence “solid.”

Theres no room for nuance in this unfortunately (welcome to the internet!). He either is already a bust or you have to defend him tooth and nail as just having routine freshman struggles. 

I don’t think that’s the case. I think he can get better. If the Oline play improves, that will help obviously.

But his trajectory for the season was awfully disconcerting.

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I didn’t think he was bad vs KSU or ISU. Those are good defenses. He looked great vs OU to many, but that was barely a functioning defense. Bama runs a lot of man, so the reads are not hard. People love to use the word regression. I tend to think it is more about film and competition. 

I did not mean to include ISU in that. You’re correct. His poor stretch started after that game, not OU.

He was not terrible against KSU, but I wouldn’t call that a good performance either. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I don’t think that’s the case. I think he can get better. If the Oline play improves, that will help obviously.

I don’t think his trajectory over the course of the season is that concerning. Film gets out and he/sark couldn’t adjust so he’s going to look worse as the season goes on.

The bigger issue to me are the lack of any real fundamentals of the positon. Footwork, progressions, pre snap reads are all real bad right now. 

That’s why I say next year really is put up or shut up for Sark. If we see the same Quinn next year then there are huge red flags for both Quinn and the coaching.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That’s an unfair reading of KSU and Kansas man. He wasn’t bad against KSU 18/31 195 yards 2 TD’s and 0 picks at all. That’s 60% 11 YPC and 6+ YPA with 2 TD’s and no TO’s. That’s a winning line for a QB. He didn’t put us on his shoulders and win us the game, but in a functional system and program that kind of line for Your QB gets you lots and lots of wins. 

Against Kansas the weather was horrid and the gameplan was to pound the rock. He didn’t do anything to fuck anything up, nothing was asked of him and we scored on 9 out of 10 drives or something stupid like that. There’s no world where that is “consistently bad” man, neither game. 
you are misremembering shit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think his trajectory over the course of the season is that concerning. Film gets out and he/sark couldn’t adjust so he’s going to look worse as the season goes on.

The bigger issue to me are the lack of any real fundamentals of the positon. Footwork, progressions, pre snap reads are all real bad right now. 

That’s why I say next year really is put up or shut up for Sark. If we see the same Quinn next year then there are huge red flags for both Quinn and the coaching.

All of this is correct. 
I thought this year was going to tell the tale for Sark. It maddeningly turned into a Rosarch year of good and bad that you can read anything into. Next year if the results aren’t conclusively good that’s bad news for Sark, Quinn and everyone in the program. 

12 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Hence “solid.”

I agree completely with your overarching point about the net being terrible at nuance, but I just showed you statistical evidence that his line is nothing but routine freshman struggles. 
He must get better. He has the talent to do so. The future is yet to be written. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree completely with your overarching point about the net being terrible at nuance, but I just showed you statistical evidence that his line is nothing but routine freshman struggles. 
He must get better. He has the talent to do so. The future is yet to be written. 

I just don’t completely agree with your reading of that evidence (or your take on the Kansas game in particular). I do agree about his talent. I’m not writing him off.  

Edited by formermav43

53 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

It might seem dumb, but it is not a ridiculous notion that such a move might effect positive change. Cut the hair as a symbolic break from the HS/NIL hotshot period of his life. That crazy kid couldn't cut it at this level. Time for a more mature Mr. Ewers to emerge over the offseason, both in attitude and performance. Want to sport a mullet as a high-profile D1 QB? Earn it. Show you can handle the business end first, THEN let it grow and party all you want. Otherwise, you're just Joe Dirt in a Sonic commercial.

Are we seriously wanting Ewers to earn the right to style his hair the way he wants to? Imo it’s dumb to be concerned with the hair style of any player on our team, no matter what their production on the field is like. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think a lot of his issues are things that aren't going to be fixed by just looking at film or making an adjustment here or there.  He seems like a guy that needs major offseason work to improve fundamentals, and just another year being coached in the offense. Hope he takes it seriously.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Holy shit you people. 

Go find stats from the best 10, 20, 30 or whatever
college QB’s you can find. Put all their true freshman years in a composite and I would give serious odds that Quinns line this year looks a lot

like that composite line. What you will mostly find is almost none of those guys played as true freshmen, and the few that did didn’t light the world on fire. I guess Quinn isn’t technically a true freshman because the world has changed, but he’s a 19 year old that had 2 snaps in the last 18 months and didn’t go through a season at UT watching how it works, learning system, coaches and players etc.

Does this mean Quinn will be great?  Of course not. But he’s done nothing to demonstrate he doesn’t have a ton of talent. 

If you can’t watch his first quarter against a Bama and see all the requisite skills are there to be really good you don’t understand anything about the QB position. 

he’s played with a mostly shitty offensive line (pass blocking wise), one actual game breaker at receiver (who is 5’8” 160 pounds), and likely nursing an injury that is sent going to be fully healthy until after the season. 

Now, if you want to say that styling himself like Joe Dirt, bring an introvert and probably a weirdo, and bouncing around college commitments, quitting on his high school teammates and then transferring in a 16 month period, all chasing NIL money that was always going to be there anyway is a serious red flag I’m not going to argue and I do wonder if that will be warning signs that show he won’t be committed to improving his craft the way all the greats do. 
But yeah, the idea that his performance this season is some huge red flag that he’s never going to get it in the future is reactionary regarded bullshit. 

5C27F71F-FAA0-44B0-B142-1E0D6CC6A979.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I just don’t completely agree with your reading of that evidence (or your take on the Kansas game in particular). I do agree about his talent. I’m not writing him off.  

I guess I just don’t know what you wanted or expected out of the Kansas game. The weather was awful. He didn’t turn the ball over. We scored on 8 out of 9 drives he was in there. He was asked to drive the bus and not mess stuff up and he did that. That’s not a good game or a bad game, that’s just being along for the ride and more or less irrelevant. Also, Worthy dropped a long one (the only shot we took down the field the entire game) that would have made his stats look better. But again, none of that mattered at all due to gameplan and weather. Drawing any data points for performance on the season or assigning any kind of Trajectory to it is irrelevant. 

And with that I will end our back and forth on this because I think we agree with each other about 90% on the issue and understand each other 100%. 

using quinn's recent stat lines as support for the idea that he's been playing well is disingenuous to say the least. we've all watched as the playbook has gotten smaller and smaller, to the point where we're now 60/40 if not 65/35 run/pass, with nearly all pass plays being 1-2 read, quick release plays. we've had to abandon the offense we planned to run all season and replace it a shell of its original self all because we cannot so much as move the chains when we rely on our QB to do it for us. i'm sorry if i'm not jumping for joy that QE is showing slightly improved numbers in a new offense that's been tailored to make everything as easy as possible for him.

it's also extremely disingenuous to compare QE to to a bunch of old QBs who aren't in any way comparable to Quinn, ie guys who didn't leave high school eeely to go become an NIL darling as a 1.000 rated prospect. QE set the bar for himself when he did that. It's not unfair to hold him to a higher standard than most. which btw, if back in August you'd have shown everyone here our final W/L and offensive stats, QE's production would have been a shocking disappointment to this entire fan base. yet somehow here we are, and it's suddenly NO CRITICISM AT ALL. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's also extremely disingenuous to compare QE to to a bunch of old QBs who aren't in any way comparable to Quinn, ie guys who didn't leave high school eeely to go become an NIL darling as a 1.000 rated prospect. QE set the bar for himself when he did that. It's not unfair to hold him to a higher standard than most. which btw, if back in August you'd have shown everyone here our final W/L and offensive stats, QE's production would have been a shocking disappointment to this entire fan base. yet somehow here we are, and it's suddenly NO CRITICISM AT ALL. 

Yeah that’s what going on here, no criticism at all, great call.

Also, all the NIL bullshit and all that has nothing to do with this. Trying to say because some dipshit from Cleveland gave him a $1M while the NIL was still a Wild West boom town with no sheriff means he should’ve been elite as a freshman is you just leading yourself down a meaningless road.

It was the Nebraska game, I remember this clearly. As I recall, it all changed when Colt kept it on a ZR play and gained an easy 20 yards or so. Up to that point, Chiles would come in to run it, to the point where it became predictable. (At least, that’s how I remember it, could be wrong.) Once Colt finally began to keep, it opened everything and we all finally realized that Jamaal Charles was the best player in college football. 
(Still one of my favorite games I’ve attended; goddamn I loved watching JC run the ball. 200+ in the 4th Q lol.)

You wanna buy the cleats JC wore that game? I know a guy…

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I guess I just don’t know what you wanted or expected out of the Kansas game. The weather was awful. He didn’t turn the ball over. We scored on 8 out of 9 drives he was in there. He was asked to drive the bus and not mess stuff up and he did that. That’s not a good game or a bad game, that’s just being along for the ride and more or less irrelevant. Also, Worthy dropped a long one (the only shot we took down the field the entire game) that would have made his stats look better. But again, none of that mattered at all due to gameplan and weather. Drawing any data points for performance on the season or assigning any kind of Trajectory to it is irrelevant. 

And with that I will end our back and forth on this because I think we agree with each other about 90% on the issue and understand each other 100%. 

I think the gameplan there is a chicken and egg thing. That’s the main difference I’d say. (And I’m not upset about it, I wish we’d commit to running more like that given our personnel/struggles. But it doesn’t seem to be Sark’s nature-which is why I personally find it telling, especially in light of the end of yesterday’s game.)

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

What are you talking about my dude?  There is plenty to criticize as to how he’s played. It’s just not unique to him and it’s common for pretty much everyone that plays QB as a true frosh or even a quasi redshirt frosh in this weird mash up Quinn has created for himself to play like this. Expecting better was probably expecting too much (and I’d hoped for better btw). 

lo guess the most simple, undeniable way to put it is this: if QE played for A&M or OU and had the exact same season for them as he did for us this year, this entire board would be howling laughing at how bad he's been, at how drastically they've had to strip down their offense, making fun of the way he styles himself, and would otherwise just be crushing him as a QB in general. this thread is a textbook case of "well he's our guy so the glass is half full and everything is fine and he's definitely going to be awesome one day and don't you dare criticize him right now." 

~6 YPA is very bad for college football.  I think ~8 YPA is average.  It isn't the only stat to determine how good or bad a QB is, but it reflects completion % and success moving the ball down the field.  Here is Ewers after OU.

You can see statistically Ewers didn't have a good game until Baylor.  I would say they were all bad with TCU and Kansas being garbage.  Maybe it was understandable against ISU's defense.  Against KSU he did well in the 1st half so it wasn't the defense.  It was on him and Sark not adjusting to KSU.  It looks like Sark figured something out after Kansas.

Against Baylor, he didn't have many attempts but did good when called upon.  The problem was giving up 8 points.  Obviously concerning, but these types of things should get better as he gains experience.  He wasn't bad with interceptions which was a concern coming into the year.  That is on the positive side.  I would say overall his play was  a disappointment but understandable with his inexperience and seems like Sark is still trying to figure out how to use him best.

ISU - 6.6

OSU - 6.5

KSU - 6.4

TCU - 4.4

KU - 5.1

BU - 12.1

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

It might seem dumb, but it is not a ridiculous notion that such a move might effect positive change. Cut the hair as a symbolic break from the HS/NIL hotshot period of his life. That crazy kid couldn't cut it at this level. Time for a more mature Mr. Ewers to emerge over the offseason, both in attitude and performance. Want to sport a mullet as a high-profile D1 QB? Earn it. Show you can handle the business end first, THEN let it grow and party all you want. Otherwise, you're just Joe Dirt in a Sonic commercial.

660A6A04-3514-495B-97F7-4417CD16CA1A.jpeg.218ad33218dcb725f6f50d7253d02183.jpeg

10 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Also, all the NIL bullshit and all that has nothing to do with this. Trying to say because some dipshit from Cleveland gave him a $1M while the NIL was still a Wild West boom town with no sheriff means he should’ve been elite as a freshman is you just leading yourself down a meaningless road.

where in earth do you see anybody saying he should have been elite this year? 

why is it so hard for so many of you to not completely rewrite what i've said when you decide to respond to me? 

18 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Led Down a Meaningless Road is the title of Derka’s autobiography.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

where in earth do you see anybody saying he should have been elite this year? 

why is it so hard for so many of you to not completely rewrite what i've said when you decide to respond to me? 

Bro, you said it is fair to judge him at the level of someone who leaves early to take NIL money and have a perfect recruit rating… literally the only guy who can be described that way… then said just because he outperformed peers isn’t good enough… so what the fuck else would you have meant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

~6 YPA is very bad for college football.  I think ~8 YPA is average.  It isn't the only stat to determine how good or bad a QB is, but it reflects completion % and success moving the ball down the field.  Here is Ewers after OU.

You can see statistically Ewers didn't have a good game until Baylor.  I would say they were all bad with TCU and Kansas being garbage.  Maybe it was understandable against ISU's defense.  Against KSU he did well in the 1st half so it wasn't the defense.  It was on him and Sark not adjusting to KSU.  It looks like Sark figured something out after Kansas.

Against Baylor, he didn't have many attempts but did good when called upon.  The problem was giving up 8 points.  Obviously concerning, but these types of things should get better as he gains experience.  He wasn't bad with interceptions which was a concern coming into the year.  That is on the positive side.  I would say overall his play was  a disappointment but understandable with his inexperience and seems like Sark is still trying to figure out how to use him best.

ISU - 6.6

OSU - 6.5

KSU - 6.4

TCU - 4.4

KU - 5.1

BU - 12.1

The yards per attempt is low bc the completion percentage is low bc we take a ton of deep shots and never hit on them. Erase the deep shots in those games and i could almost guarantee you it would be pretty close to your 8 YPA magic number from most of those games. 

they have to get better at throwing long or they need to shelve it (looks like it’s been shelved the last couple games). I suspect that lack of competent WR at going deep is part of it. Will be interesting to see if Neyor changes that. 

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I am not sure I understand this post and your bias is showing. Palmer and Manning were mentioned and they were highly rated pocket passers. I am not sure why you bring up NIL. That has really nothing to do with the field, but for some reason you keep being up NIL and Quinn. 

4 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Bro, you said it is fair to judge him at the level of someone who leaves early to take NIL money and have a perfect recruit rating… literally the only guy who can be described that way… then said just because he outperformed peers isn’t good enough… so what the fuck else would you have meant.

lol where do you come up with this stuff? stop completely inventing shit and then getting at me for it, like i have anything to do with your fantastical rewrites.

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure I understand this post and your bias is showing. Palmer and Manning were mentioned and they were highly rated pocket passers. I am not sure why you bring up NIL. That has really nothing to do with the field, but for some reason you keep being up NIL and Quinn. 

a)what's not to understand? when you're the no.1 prospect, people expect more of you. when you're the no.1 prospect and you become the first ever HS QB to leave HS early so that you can go get paid based on the fact that you're a football star, then you most definitely get held to a higher standard than the rest of the freshman QBs out there.

b)what bias am i showing? 

Edited by shadow_operative

QBR is far from a perfect metric, but all you have to do is look at the list to see that it's a pretty fair ranking of the best QBs. Quinn Ewers just wrapped up his season finishing 49th in QBR, right behind this guy, the QB of 6-6 Missouri:

1AE4612A-D236-453E-8122-EB3B1378B11B.thumb.jpeg.f0615ae81117e135ca7bcae90f46daee.jpeg

that's not good. that's bad. that's wildly underachieving compared to preseason expectations. so why is it so unfair to be critical of this guy and the season he just had? 

Edited by shadow_operative

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

a)what's not to understand? when you're the no.1 prospect, people expect more of you. when you're the no.1 prospect and you become the first ever HS QB to leave HS early so that you can go get paid based on the fact that you're a football star, then you most definitely get held to a higher standard than the rest of the freshman QBs out there.

b)what bias am i showing? 

Manning and Palmer were similar recruits. You can bet they would have gotten a ton of NIL money also. Fact that Ewers got paid doesn’t change his experience level. It is irrelevant. NIL is new and there is going to be a whole bunch of kids that get 7 figures and never live up to it. That isn’t on them, that is on overzealous boosters/businessmen 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

QBR is far from a perfect metric, but all you have to do is look at the rankings to see that it's a pretty list of the best QBs. Quinn Ewers just wrapped up season finishing 49th in QBR, right behind this guy, the QB of 6-6 Missouri:

1AE4612A-D236-453E-8122-EB3B1378B11B.thumb.jpeg.f0615ae81117e135ca7bcae90f46daee.jpeg

that's not good. that's bad. that's wildly underachieving compared to preseason expectations. so why is it so unfair to be critical of this guy and the season he just had? 

Nobody is saying it’s unfair to be critical of him. I (and some others) are providing context for what it looks like in general when a freshman plays QB. Slightly above average QB play (130 QB’s so finishing 49th is slightly above average) as a freshman in your first year in the system isn’t the damning indictment you (and many others) are making it out to be. 
Yeah- I already mentioned I’m concerned about the Joe Dirt persona and the quitting on high school, first commitment and then first school that we’ve seen, but sayjng be sucks or underperformed because he finished 49th in QBR as a freshman doesn’t do the work you are claiming it does. If he underperformed expectations it is likely because of the expectations, not his play, as a statistical dive into other QB’s freshmen year has shown. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet