Concerts you are attending

bamachine

My brother made it out to Love & Rockets at ACL Live and said it was a fantastic show.  Really wish I had gone but Mexico made up for it.

Going to the Long Center Drop-in on Thursday to catch Annabelle Chairlegs and Jane Leo.  I like listening to Annabelle's stuff... great sound.  She was a good fit for the Psych Fest.  Jane Leo has a cool 80's influenced electronic sound.  They'll be playing at ACL.  

On 5/22/2023 at 2:46 PM, Bottlecap said:

Got pretty drunk friday night and decided I absolutely MUST go to The National's Homecoming, bought festival tix and a flight lol. Never been to cincinatti. I think i might end up there solo. They're not chucking solo brown guys into the river there too, right? RIGHT!?

Anyone wanna join?

Excited for The Walkmen reunion and Pavement, which was the deal sealer. But also, before COVID canceled the last scheduled Homecoming in 2020 they were supposed to play High Violet in full. Hoping they do a front-to-back set of something classic (hoping for HV obvs). They played Boxer in full for the 2018 homecoming.

image.png

Stay at Hotel Covington if you can get a room

• Hook 'Em 1

Picked up some extremely cheap tickets for noel Gallagher and garbage last night at a very empty COTA. Was never a big oasis fan and that set didn't do anything to change my mind. Garbage, however, was surprisingly good. Shirley Manson can still sing and had a great stage presence.

Gallagher didn’t sell out Moody Theater a few years ago. It was a good show though. I was shocked they were booked at COTA.

I mean they just came thru austin in oct. Reason 1. Reason 2 was Ticketmaster wanted to charge me (and the stadium at large) more in service fees than the price of actual seats to take my fam of five to a stadium show. It would have been packed I’m sure but tix had to come down first.

Edited by Bottlecap

Pixies tonight at Southside in Dallas. It was packed. At least two people were carried out: one during the first opener Bully and another during the Pixies set. I’m guessing the headcount was at capacity (1500?).

Crowd had poor phone etiquette. Lots of people holding them above their heads.

Bully was really good. I like their sound.

Not into Franz Ferdinand but the lead singer really put a lot into the show.

Pixies started strong and ended strong. Really glad they played Head On.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, GenXer said:

Pixies tonight at Southside in Dallas. It was packed. At least two people were carried out: one during the first opener Bully and another during the Pixies set. I’m guessing the headcount was at capacity (1500?).

Crowd had poor phone etiquette. Lots of people holding them above their heads.

Bully was really good. I like their sound.

Not into Franz Ferdinand but the lead singer really put a lot into the show.

Pixies started strong and ended strong. Really glad they played Head On.

Username checks out.

I was at this show and first, it was a killer show.  The Pixies are firing on all cylinders.  I wonder how long they can do that, especially with some of the complicated drumming David Lovering has to pull off.  I really liked the new stuff they played as well.  

As mentioned, Franz Ferdinand was great.   It's really funny to see them put on a show in addition to rocking tight three minute pop songs, then compare it to Pixies and Frank Black who is roundly noted as saying "I am not a dancing bear."  They have some music, they play it for you.  Take it or leave it. 

Head On and Wintering were both killer.  I've always loved their version of those.  But on the whole, it was a strong set and I'd recommend anyone in Austin to check them out tonight.

As noted though, goddam the cell phones.  I felt like I was watching half the show through other peoples eyes.  A pic or two, ok, I get it.  Trying to record the whole damn show on your own?  Fuck me.  But I guess with a set list like that, damn near 3/4 of the show could be people just recording their personal Pixies favorite.  

I did notice that there was a pretty wide age range of people there, which is always cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GenXer said:

I dig the slow version of wave of mutilation that they played. I was listening to Doolittle B sides on the way to the show and was enjoying the slow version. Glad they did that interpretation at the show.

The UK Surf Mix.  First heard it in "Pump Up the Volume."  That'll take you back. 

• Like 1

Just back from the pixies in austin

We were way in the back so the sound sucked but had a breeze so it wasn’t hot

I think I saw immamac while leaving the bathroom. Didn’t feel like asking but he looked like him from what I can tell lurking on this site

Anyone seen the Outlaw Festival this summer?  It's in Dallas on Friday, but the lineup is so-so compared with who's playing on other legs of the tour.  I may just go anyhow as it looks like the tix will be fairly cheap.  Plus it's gonna be pretty hot.  Still, Willie is 90 and I can never get enough of seeing him.

5 hours ago, nolongerU2horn said:

I totally slept on The Smile before diving in the last few weeks  before the show. So glad I did. I was just a bit over all the various Thom side projects, but Thom + Jonny = very, very good stuff. Any Radiohead fans owe it to themselves to go see them. They're at ACL Live again tonight.

DSC09140.jpeg

DSC09160.jpeg

going tonight. haven't really gotten into the album but figured it would be worth seeing them live. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Anyone seen the Outlaw Festival this summer?  It's in Dallas on Friday, but the lineup is so-so compared with who's playing on other legs of the tour.  I may just go anyhow as it looks like the tix will be fairly cheap.  Plus it's gonna be pretty hot.  Still, Willie is 90 and I can never get enough of seeing him.

I’m going. Never seen Willie. I want to before it’s too late. Also, looking forward to seeing Whisky Meyers. Suffering the heat is a badge of honor.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, GenXer said:

I’m going. Never seen Willie. I want to before it’s too late. Also, looking forward to seeing Whisky Meyers. Suffering the heat is a badge of honor.

I've probably seen him a dozen times.  But I try not to miss a chance.  I've never seen Whiskey Meyers or Flatland Cavalry and it sounds like they're having a moment.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Headed to this with my daughter (no pix) who lives in Sherman.  She "wanted to see Willie before he dies".  I don't expect to see Willie for more than 20 minutes at most.  Could be 110 F at the beginning of the show at 4:30 pm.

29 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Headed to this with my daughter (no pix) who lives in Sherman.  She "wanted to see Willie before he dies".  I don't expect to see Willie for more than 20 minutes at most.  Could be 110 F at the beginning of the show at 4:30 pm.

That's why I won't be there at 4:30.  He's schedule to be on for an hour, which seems perfectly reasonable for a 90 year old man.  

Friday, June 30, 2023

Dos Equis Pavilion, Dallas, TX

Willie Nelson and Family: 9:50 PM – 10:50 PM

Whiskey Myers: 7:55 PM – 9:25 PM

Flatland Calvary: 6:15 PM – 7:30 PM

Brittney Spencer: 5:10 PM – 5:50 PM

Particle Kid: 4:35 PM – 5:05 PM

Doors: 3:00 PM

I might make it for Flatland Cavalry as I've heard good things.  But more likely I'd make it for Whiskey Meyers and Willie.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

That's good info, thanks Chad.

Word.  Straight from the Outlaw website. 

I just bought tix.  They're selling for 49.50 (71.83 w/their bullshit fees) under the awning.  I figure I'd pay that to see two bands most nights, and when one of them is a goddam living legend, why, it's a steal. 

the smile was excellent. i was general admission floor at moody, definitely cool to watch thom yorke and jonny greenwood in such a relatively small venue. lots of energy, cool light show, great musicianship. definitely glad i went, thom is a great performer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, elguapo said:

I've never been, what was the problem with psych fest?

ridiculous lines for everything...food, booze, bathrooms. like 45 mins minimum. and it's way the fuck south nowhere near any of the other venues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7/24  - Overkill/Exhorder/Heathen
8/12  - Cerebral Rot/Cemetery Filth
9/6 - Danzig/Behemoth
10/20 - Cannibal Corpse/Mayhem/Gorguts/Blood Incantation
10/26 - Bowie Tribute with Peter Murphy, etc.
3/21-24/24 - Hell's Heroes in Houston with WatchTower, Solitude Aeturnus and Sodom, among many others.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, stc said:

ridiculous lines for everything...food, booze, bathrooms. like 45 mins minimum. and it's way the fuck south nowhere near any of the other venues. 

They have like two dozen bathrooms, and they're not porta-potties (like they look).  How overrun was that place?

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They have like two dozen bathrooms, and they're not porta-potties (like they look).  How overrun was that place?

it would've been better if they were porta potties. half of them were out of order at all times and the other half were full of people doing drugs. there were people pissing all over the place outside the venue and then going back inside. 

9 hours ago, elguapo said:

image.thumb.png.2eb7beec34a838e4a29dd929aa2f58a8.png

I hope Brian Jonestown Massacre stops in Dallas when they’re in the area. A few other of those bands playing on Sat are stopping in Dallas. 

BJM’s website doesn’t even list their show at Levitation. Neither does bands in town app.

2 hours ago, Nuge said:

Gonna see GA-20 this saturday.

They're playing in this small jazz/blues club in Portland so it should be an intimate and badass show.

I saw them when they passed through Dallas. They played a small venue here. Probably 50 people in the audience.

During one song, Faherty was jamming, walked through the crowd and up to bar. Kept playing, and hung around the patrons at the bar jamming away. Really entertaining stuff. Walked back through the audience and back to the stage and finished the song.

They were at the merch table before and after the show. Chatting and taking pics with whoever wanted to come over. I got some vinyl and got it signed.

You’re gonna have a great time. These guys put on a great show. Constantly chatting up the audience during their show.

54FAF0DC-B1FD-4075-A8A7-0CCA3F9488A4.jpeg

9C2F4C2B-67C0-42B3-82C2-4CB0BD8AAA0A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, GenXer said:

I saw them when they passed through Dallas. They played a small venue here. Probably 50 people in the audience.

During one song, Faherty was jamming, walked through the crowd and up to bar. Kept playing, and hung around the patrons at the bar jamming away. Really entertaining stuff. Walked back through the audience and back to the stage and finished the song.

They were at the merch table before and after the show. Chatting and taking pics with whoever wanted to come over. I got some vinyl and got it signed.

You’re gonna have a great time. These guys put on a great show. Constantly chatting up the audience during their show.

54FAF0DC-B1FD-4075-A8A7-0CCA3F9488A4.jpeg

9C2F4C2B-67C0-42B3-82C2-4CB0BD8AAA0A.jpeg

I saw them previously when they opened for All Them Witches.  I actually went to see them after hearing "Dry Run" last year.  Very excited to see them in a tiny venue.  I hope my experience mirrors yours.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1