Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Psych fest was killer. Night Beats were the standout for me but all the bands were good. The venue was woefully under prepared for a festival. Bathroom lines were absurd, 30+ mins. It was faster to leave the venue and walk across the street to torchys, which I did multiple times. Only 2 food trucks and each had a massive wait. 2 coolers of water that were empty every time I tried them. Excellent lineup of bands though.

May shows in Dallas

Band of Heathens at Kessler

Jason Isbell at the Factory

Violent Femmes at HOB

Ruston Kelly at Echo Lounge

Vandoliers at Levitt Pavilion

Bouncing Souls at Granada

Hoping to do a couple mid-week shows in OKC - Gary Clary Jr and Record Company / Rival Sons

• Hook 'Em 1

I bet the bands were awesome but imagine Far Out struggling to handle a weekend event like that.  Yesterday's weather was amazing.

We went to Stubb's for Goth Babe.  Yoke Lore opened.  Dress Warm played afterwards indoors. 

Goth Babe... huge fan of his music, his message and just the overall vibe. 

PXL_20230430_025454045.jpg

PXL_20230430_023120735.jpg

Yoke Lore... never heard of the guy and can't say I've ever seen someone get so intense with a banjo...  We were about four people deep from the rail.  My wife wasn't happy basically having to stake out our spot for so long and for both shows but that's how I roll.  I'll deal with the PITA of the whole thing to be closer to the show.

PXL_20230430_010302144.jpg

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Did anyone hit Austin Blues Festival ?

I literally didn't hear about it until the day after.  I mean, I'm out of touch, but not THAT out of touch.  Would have liked to have gone.

Edited by jimmyjazz
grammer

On 4/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, texasdago said:

Yoke Lore... never heard of the guy and can't say I've ever seen someone get so intense with a banjo...  We were about four people deep from the rail.  My wife wasn't happy basically having to stake out our spot for so long and for both shows but that's how I roll.  I'll deal with the PITA of the whole thing to be closer to the show.

PXL_20230430_010302144.jpg

We went to the show in Dallas last Thursday. I knew a little about Yoke Lore but had no idea about his wild-ass dancing! Holy shit that was amazing. One of our friends bought his t-shirt and it's like 30 diagrams of his various dance positions. It's pretty genius.

Goth Babe was fantastic. Loved every minute but wished he played longer than 75 mins or so. The positive is that we were home by 11:15 or so. Also was surprised he didn't play "Surfing in Iceland."

We have Jason Isbell next week and then Violent Femmes the week after. Then, I think we're clear until LCD Soundsystem in Grand Prairie in June.

(BTW, I've got two tickets to Yeah Yeah Yeahs that I'm trying to unload. They're in Section 201, I think, at Toyota in Las Colinas.)

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We went to the show in Dallas last Thursday. I knew a little about Yoke Lore but had no idea about his wild-ass dancing! Holy shit that was amazing. One of our friends bought his t-shirt and it's like 30 diagrams of his various dance positions. It's pretty genius.

Goth Babe was fantastic. Loved every minute but wished he played longer than 75 mins or so. The positive is that we were home by 11:15 or so. Also was surprised he didn't play "Surfing in Iceland."

Complete agreement on all of this. I told my wife that while I had no idea who Yoke Lore was and maybe I wouldn't necessarily listen to his music normally, he put on a great show.  And to be honest, anytime Goth Babe comes to town, I will be more than happy to go see them again.

Next up on Friday:

Reminds me a bit of when I saw Arcade Fire at the American Airlines Center. It was a bad decision on both their part as that place was way too big and it was embarrassingly empty and my part as I opted for that over The War on Drugs at the Bomb Factory. Rectified that last year. 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Reminds me a bit of when I saw Arcade Fire at the American Airlines Center. It was a bad decision on both their part as that place was way too big and it was embarrassingly empty and my part as I opted for that over The War on Drugs at the Bomb Factory. Rectified that last year. 

I went to that AF show and it was an odd setup with a "boxing ring" in the middle. It was sparsely attended -- great show but crowd was thin.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I went to that AF show and it was an odd setup with a "boxing ring" in the middle. It was sparsely attended -- great show but crowd was thin.

Yeah, Win leaned a little too heavy into bits for that tour. That was also the show where some dumbass talked during a quiet part of one of the songs and Win stopped down and said "really, Dallas?". The Suburbs show at Starplex was a lot better.

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, Win leaned a little too heavy into bits for that tour. That was also the show where some dumbass talked during a quiet part of one of the songs and Win stopped down and said "really, Dallas?". The Suburbs show at Starplex was a lot better.

Yep.

Pretty sure I'm in The National's "Cherry Tree" deal as I get periodic emails from them. There's a presale for those who were members by 5/1 but I don't remember if I ever paid for it (or if it's even a paid deal). Can anybody clarify?

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yep.

Pretty sure I'm in The National's "Cherry Tree" deal as I get periodic emails from them. There's a presale for those who were members by 5/1 but I don't remember if I ever paid for it (or if it's even a paid deal). Can anybody clarify?

I got a presale code last night at 8:00pm

Code looks unique for each member, not a generic word

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Check your spam. That's where my email was from Cherry Tree. 

23 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

I do. email also included a non-Ticketmaster link for the tix

I must not pay for Cherry Tree. I don't have an email to buy tickets in regular Inbox or Spam.

Got 2 for Irving in section 101 which is nice. 

For Moody, what's better, section 119 or section 115? That's a stiff price difference. Don't want floor. I wish it let me choose my section instead of auto-select. But maybe that's the only fan pre-sale areas. 119 & 120 for $160 or 115 for $93.

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, Bottlecap said:

113 bux for the national in a giant arena. hahahahahahahahaha

Toyota in Las Colinas isn't that big. I'll pay whatever they want. I missed them the last two times they came through because they played the night of Texas-OU and I was not in any condition to go to a concert those nights. I'm going to try and get GA/Floor tickets on Friday. I got to see them at Granada for the Boxer tour, which was incredible. I know Julia and Mike well enough at Granada that I got to hang out backstage with the band after the show.

I got some free tickets to see The Parson Red Heads.  Hadn't heard of them before so started listening.  Dig 'em.  Excited to see the show.  Plus, its at the Doug Fir Lounge in Portland which is my favorite venue.  Unfortunately, the owners are moving it to another location.  Travesty.

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Has anyone gone to see Placebo in concert? May have a chance to go Sunday night.  Opening act sounds good.

How would you know if you're seeing the real band or people who make you think you're seeing the real band? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1