So Mel Brooks isn't dead.... he's 96 mother fuckers.

Butch Had Not

The self-narrated audiobook of his recent bio, All About Me! is excellent and well worth the listen. Some of his lines are part of the Llama family lexicon, such as “Double time harch!” and “They can all go to hell, ‘cept Cave 76!” and “Mmmmm, zee filling iss moochul.” 

Viva Mel.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

csb/ on the way out to the Rose Bowl...we stopped in Las vegas for New Year's Eve.  Played blackjack next to Mel Brooks at Bellagio for about a dozen hands.  I sat 1b, he was to my left (obviously).  Nicest fucking guy.  Never asked him anything, just small talk "happy new year", "tough hand", "nice hit"...shit like that.  But whenever he got dealt a bad hand, he'd mumble under his breath an "Hrump" or "oy!" or kinda babble his lips. I kept my shit together.  When he got up to leave, wished us a happy new year and vanished into the crowd and I sat there crying laughing from all this pent up chuckling from his little noises and quirks (rubbed his face like he does in movies when he got a good hand).  I was just overcome with giggling, even though I was losing my ass at cards.  Dealer asked me "Who was that guy?"  I tipped her $5 and left the table immediately.  The man is a national treasure.  And you will know him by the trail of joy.  /csb

A legitimately cool story, bro.

That's awesome.

• Like 1

He's in the EGOT club too, one of the best comedic writers in history. 

Season 4 of Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm is a hilarious version of The Producers, where Mel is actually trying to make a musical that fails by including Larry. If you aren't a fan of the show for some reason, but love The Producers, it's worth watching the full season alone. I don't think you need to know anything about the show besides the play/movie. Lots of celebrities are a part of it too, there are some funny cameos along the way, as well as Mel and his wife Anne. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Season 4 of Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm is a hilarious version of The Producers, where Mel is actually trying to make a musical that fails by including Larry. If you aren't a fan of the show for some reason, but love The Producers, it's worth watching the full season alone. I don't think you need to know anything about the show besides the play/movie. Lots of celebrities are a part of it too, there are some funny cameos along the way, as well as Mel and his wife Anne

Anne, aka "Mrs. Robinson".

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Season 4 of Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm is a hilarious version of The Producers, where Mel is actually trying to make a musical that fails by including Larry. If you aren't a fan of the show for some reason, but love The Producers, it's worth watching the full season alone. I don't think you need to know anything about the show besides the play/movie. Lots of celebrities are a part of it too, there are some funny cameos along the way, as well as Mel and his wife Anne. 

that episode was hilarious 

On 10/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, Dutchrudder said:

So just out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite Mel Brooks movie, and why is it Spaceballs? 

It was the summer of 1983, and History of the World Part I was in rotation on The Movie Channel.

I was 16 years old, and just gotten home after banging the 19-year-old life guard from our country club pool, who was 5'2" and looked like a Swedish Goddess in miniature.  The mental state I was in was such that I could've watched Nixon's resignation speech and it would have brought me to tears, or I could've watched First Blood and been ready to rain vigilante justice down on my city.  It just so happened that HotW was on, so I laughed till my side hurt and to this day that movie is associated with one of the greatest nights of my life.

That's why it's his best movie, hands down.

Edited by Augustus

One of his more underrated films--it didn't do well at the box office but was a bigger hit on the cable movie channels--is To Be or Not To Be.  Set in Poland after the Nazi invasion, it focuses on a theater group that gets caught up in intrigue.

It's an enjoyable film, absolutely worth the watch.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Augustus said:

One of his more underrated films--it didn't do well at the box office but was a bigger hit on the cable movie channels--is To Be or Not To Be.  Set in Poland after the Nazi invasion, it focuses on a theater group that gets caught up in intrigue.

I like the movie as well, but it was a remake from 1942.   Mel Brooks stared in it with his wife and was one of the producers.                     

As for me, Blazing Saddles as that movie will never be remade. 

The man in a genius. 

Back when I was a young stockbroker, movie llmited partnerships were a big deal. Brooks came to Houston on a roadshow and took a bunch of us out one night. He was hitting hard on some of the sales assistants. I guess being married to Anne Bancroft wasn’t fulfilling enough. 

12 hours ago, Augustus said:

Excellent film. Remake of a 1942 Ernst Lubitsch film starring Jack Benny, Carole Lombard and a young Robert Stack. It was Jack Benny's most successful movie.