Jump to content

World Cup Day 5 - SWI/CAM, URU/KOR, POR/GHA, BRA/SER


Captain Ron
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok. I am an idiot in Spanish and know zero portungese but I think I can read this!
”because I kind the music and culture of Brazil and by extension Portugal and Cabo Verde). I’m considering moving to Portugal one day. Right now I have a couple things during the pandemic. Third sentence is a mess. How’d I do on the other two?  I knew they were close but didn’t know there was that much overlap. 

You did better than Brasil is playing right now.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I find the same thing trying to understand Spanish... I'm better than I was but still there are enough differences to really mess me up.

I'm by no means fluent or even close, so I'll defer to the Brasileiros here, but what I was attempting to say was "besides that, what else was there to do during the pandemic?"

Fodendo? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Bossa nova is legit. 

Damn straight. Wanting to understand the lyrics and the culture was a big impetus to me (tropicalia and MBP as well).

So... I cheer for Brasil and all my normal friends say to hell with that - more mayhem plz!

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fodendo? 

Isso também. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I find the same thing trying to understand Spanish... I'm better than I was but still there are enough differences to really mess me up.

I'm by no means fluent or even close, so I'll defer to the Brasileiros here, but what I was attempting to say was "besides that, what else was there to do during the pandemic?"

What’s interesting for me is that I can’t hardly converse with a native speaker but can usually do ok with someone with Spanish as a second language. It’s like we are the same level of idiot to understand each other. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Portuguese is needed, I mostly stumble along with Spanish.

All the Portuguese I know, I learned when we stayed on the Brazilian side at Iguazu: nao, sim, obrigado, pao de queijo, and leite quente. Oh, and cubim - FANTASTIC cut of beef.
Enjoy watching the Brazilian side, felt really bad for them when Germany DESTROYED them at home a coupla cups ago.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When Portuguese is needed, I mostly stumble along with Spanish.

All the Portuguese I know, I learned when we stayed on the Brazilian side at Iguazu: nao, sim, obrigado, pao de queijo, and leite quente. Oh, and cubim - FANTASTIC cut of beef.
Enjoy watching the Brazilian side, felt really bad for them when Germany DESTROYED them at home a coupla cups ago.

Will never forget the first phrase we were taught at UT. O rapaz, que voce esta muy gordo.... 

When I want to go to Portuguese I usually fuck up and speak Bosnian. Don't know why. 

Also, speaking Spanish means you can fuck up real easily in Portuguese. Brincar is not the same in both languages. 

Half times suck..... Like the off season. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Portuguese is needed, I mostly stumble along with Spanish.

All the Portuguese I know, I learned when we stayed on the Brazilian side at Iguazu: nao, sim, obrigado, pao de queijo, and leite quente. Oh, and cubim - FANTASTIC cut of beef.
Enjoy watching the Brazilian side, felt really bad for them when Germany DESTROYED them at home a coupla cups ago.

That 7-1 drubbing was very satisfying!

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for avoidance of doubt i went to check and sure enough richarlison has yet to even score for spurs in 10 appearances

any toffee up in here can comment - did he ever do anything like that with everton?

14 appearances (champions league too) 2 goals. 
 

NOTHING like that though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not a soccer fan.  Really only pay attention during WC.  But, the flopping diminishes the sport.  I guess that’s the only way to get the ONE real official’s attention … but

Maybe put a second real official on the field and dole out penalty minute(s) for flopping.  VAR or whatever the replay is called can quickly separate real from Hollywood.

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Does "on goal" include balls off the frame?

Serbia is lucky to only have conceded twice either way. 

It’s supposed to mean any shot that goes in or requires a save by the keeper (in theory, cleared by a defender don’t count). Off the frame is not on target. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’m not a soccer fan.  Really only pay attention during WC.  But, the flopping diminishes the sport.  I guess that’s the only way to get the ONE real official’s attention … but

Maybe put a second real official on the field and dole out penalty minute(s) for flopping.  VAR or whatever the replay is called can quickly separate real from Hollywood.

Been saying this for years. It helped clean up hockey, would work wonders for soccer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’m not a soccer fan.  Really only pay attention during WC.  But, the flopping diminishes the sport.  I guess that’s the only way to get the ONE real official’s attention … but

Maybe put a second real official on the field and dole out penalty minute(s) for flopping.  VAR or whatever the replay is called can quickly separate real from Hollywood.

oh good. here comes the occasional football dabbler to fix the game. like clockwork. 

flopping has improved apart from central america where its basically genetic. you wanna change a half century of genetics? 

as talent has improved worldwide, so has the culture of playing the game (mostly) properly and gentlemanly

also, the women's game has no flopping and is a great product. maybe check them out?

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It’s supposed to mean any shot that goes in or requires a save by the keeper (in theory, cleared by a defender don’t count). Off the frame is not on target. 

That was my logic.  No save required so no shot on goal. 
Now, if the keeper would happen to punch that same exact shot that hit the post I would assume they’d count it as a shot on goal because they wouldn’t know if the save was required or not. Kind of a weird dichotomy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Been saying this for years. It helped clean up hockey, would work wonders for soccer. 

three referees in college basketball is over officiating. its fucking maddening to have a foul called every time down the court. there are already 3 refs on the pitch and one in the booth. thats plenty. some complain the 4th ref officiating the VAR has already overreffed soccer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

oh good. here comes the occasional football dabbler to fix the game. like clockwork. 

flopping has improved apart from central america where its basically genetic. you wanna change a half century of genetics? 

as talent has improved worldwide, so has the culture of playing the game (mostly) properly and gentlemanly

Serious question- how about the fucking Italians?  Are they still flipping bitches and pussies?  I don’t see them on my World Cup bracket anywhere so no way to know for sure 😊

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It’s supposed to mean any shot that goes in or requires a save by the keeper (in theory, cleared by a defender don’t count). Off the frame is not on target. 

I was only wondering because Brazil had so many on target I was thinking maybe they had counted the ones off the frame for some reason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for avoidance of doubt i went to check and sure enough richarlison has yet to even score for spurs in 10 appearances

any toffee up in here can comment - did he ever do anything like that with everton?

Ay ay camate. He got 2 banger headers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...