Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Leclerc got asked after the race if he thought Ferrari had made any gains on Red Bull and he said probably not because we don't actually know how much faster they are than us because it's very likely they aren't pushing very hard right now because they don't have to.

Bahrain 2014 Lewis and Nico fucked off into the sunset chasing each other. Although that was a pretty good battle between the two of them.

Baku 2023 was similar just without the actual battle at the end. It feels like Red Bull has that kind of pace advantage like Merc had back in the early hybrid days.

On the topic of boring racing and no passing, why not allow active suspension to let the cars run low w/o porpoising and allowing the ground effect to be powerful. I thought the whole idea with these cars was to allow them to follow closely, now they are all raised up to negate the bouncing and we have the same issue as the previous cars. Except now they are fucking yachts and that makes passing even harder.

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Leclerc got asked after the race if he thought Ferrari had made any gains on Red Bull and he said probably not because we don't actually know how much faster they are than us because it's very likely they aren't pushing very hard right now because they don't have to.

I don't know about that. I can't see Max sitting behind Checo willingly for the team just to sandbag if his car had more to give.

I think if RB had more push we would have seen Max chasing down Perez, and then Perez pushing harder as well.

There's no way they are running the engines as hard as they can though.  It would be dumb to push them unnecessarily when they are a second faster per lap than the rest of the field. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't know about that. I can't see Max sitting behind Checo willingly for the team just to sandbag if his car had more to give.

I think if RB had more push we would have seen Max chasing down Perez, and then Perez pushing harder as well.

i wonder if that's something that can even be done in race though?

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That's just not what happened at all.  From laps 13 to 30 Leclerc lost 16.5 seconds to Perez and 15.5 seconds to Verstappen. From 30 to 50, he only lost 2-3 seconds, even though RB has way better tyre life and Leclerc was falling back to Alonso by the end of the race due to deg.  From 36 - 50, Leclerc was always between 19.5 and 20.5 seconds back from Perez. They were absolutely managing the gap right at about 20 seconds for basically half the laps after the Safety Car restart. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There's no way they are running the engines as hard as they can though.  It would be dumb to push them unnecessarily when they are a second faster per lap than the rest of the field. 

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That's just not what happened at all.  From laps 13 to 30 Leclerc lost 16.5 seconds to Perez and 15.5 seconds to Verstappen. From 30 to 50, he only lost 2-3 seconds, even though RB has way better tyre life and Leclerc was falling back to Alonso by the end of the race due to deg.  From 36 - 50, Leclerc was always between 19.5 and 20.5 seconds back from Perez. They were absolutely managing the gap right at about 20 seconds for basically half the laps after the Safety Car restart. 

Listen, it's my god-given right to blurt out shit on message boards that I don't know anything about. I'll be damned if y'all are going to stop me!!!1!

I think it's not so much about safety and is much more strongly tied to performance. Look at the F2007 & F2004.  They have about the same amount of car in front of the driver that the SF90 has. I.E. the monocoque is roughly the same size, even though the SF90 is huge in comparison. From what I hear, the biggest reason they keep pushing the length & width of the cars is to increase the downforce. Bigger floor generally equals more downforce, which helps to counter the big weight additions made by the introduction of heavy batteries, mgu components, etc. Increasing the size of the cars doesn't add that much weight, relatively speaking, so they can add size to compensate for the extra weight while not adding too much more weight (compared to the weight of all the extra electrical stuff).

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

This one, 👆, is really good.

I love the part where he says they'll probably ban the wings forever later in the season. If only ...

Also if you like this kind of thing and you get a chance to watch "Lucky", the Bernie documentary, do it. I've only been through a couple of episodes, but it's incredible, even if only for Bernie's old footage that's never been seen before.

23 hours ago, NoName said:

I think the pit can remotely unlock more turbo boost or otherwise allow more power, because drivers are always on the radio requesting it

40 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I think the pit can remotely unlock more turbo boost or otherwise allow more power, because drivers are always on the radio requesting it

Control of engine settings from the pits is possible, but it's illegal. When they're asking for more power, what the drivers are really doing is asking for modes they can change on the wheel themselves. 

17 minutes ago, wood said:

Control of engine settings from the pits is possible, but it's illegal. When they're asking for more power, what the drivers are really doing is asking for modes they can change on the wheel themselves. 

i considered that, but it didnt seem to make make sense that drivers require permission to toggle the mode dial.

"bono, give me more juice man".  you figured they'd just crank it up themselves.

It’s for ERS deployment only, but it depends on a few things like battery SoC and harvesting mode, etc. they need to be in the right operating window to use it. It’s not a huge difference like the engine mode changes were before, though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i considered that, but it didnt seem to make make sense that drivers require permission to toggle the mode dial.

"bono, give me more juice man".  you figured they'd just crank it up themselves.

Yeah, what Anton said, and there are a lot of different mode combinations, combined with different diff, brake balance, & brake by wire settings, etc, so the drivers typically aren't going to know what's going to be best or what's even available for the conditions/scenario. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Question -- how is DRS deployed? Is it automatic?  Is it a manual button that must be pressed to open the flap? If it is, how do we never see drivers opening it to early? 

45 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

They have an indicator telling them when it can be open. But they have to activate it manuallg

Glad somebody asked....

But is it closed manually?  Seems like it would be safer and more efficient for it to close electronically out once out of the DRS zone.  

Close can be triggered by lifting or applying brakes. 

IMO drivers should be forced to actuate it mechanically (instead of electrically). And no speed-limit button in the pits. Fucking modulate the speed yourself. 😤

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

IMO race starts should go back to the Le Mans style, where the drivers run across the track and jump into their parked cars.

Yuki would be f'd, it would take him an extra 50 steps and a step ladder. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

IMO race starts should go back to the Le Mans style, where the drivers run across the track and jump into their parked cars.

the car is actually disassembled and they have to put it together first

12 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

No pit speed limits, open faced helmets, and smoke breaks during refueling. 

For some reason I once watched an old Nascar race from the 1960's and there Buddy Baker was driving the last lap of the Daytona 500 with one arm out of the window and smoking a heater.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

For some reason I once watched an old Nascar race from the 1960's and there Buddy Baker was driving the last lap of the Daytona 500 with one arm out of the window and smoking a heater.

I always loved watching the gas man refueling on pit stops with fuel flying everywhere and a Winston dangling from his mouth.

Yeah it is. I think everyone would do well with more simple designs. Between the speed and the halo, seeing a helmet isn't easy. Even the camera on the T-bar only captures a bit of it.

40 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah it is. I think everyone would do well with more simple designs. Between the speed and the halo, seeing a helmet isn't easy. Even the camera on the T-bar only captures a bit of it.

Agree, and the simpler, bolder designs seem to be gaining traction again, thankfully.

Anecdote from Miami:

"Was here last year and hotels were charging ridiculous rates and were sold out. Fans were all over the city and you had to book the best restaurants months in advance to get a seat.

Got here on Wednesday and things were slow. Was even able to negotiate a lower rate because my hotel (a 5-star located right in the center of South Beach) still had vacancies. I've seen price drops in Brickell too.

Here we are on Friday and it still seems slow. I see some international fans, but it feels like less US fans. I keep getting calls and emails about price drops on the premium seats.

My gut tells me that a number of factors are in play here: pervasive inflation, the recession, a relatively uninspiring race season and maybe a bit of F1 fatigue. Wonder how alive or dead Vegas will be in November."