Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Lewis has been saying it for years. Documented. Max is not saying the same now that he's the one mushroom stamping the competition.

You just don't like Lewis. That's ok, just own it.

I've owned everything I've said and backed it up. Now show me where Lewis said during Merc's run that they should be slowed. He said he hoped others could catch up and fight, while knowing full well what kind of advantaage he had, and that they weren't catching up anytime in the near future.

Stop falling back on the lame "You just don't like Lewis" crap.

And Max isn't saying it now, just like he didn't say it when RBR were chasing Merc.

Edited by wood

I've owned everything I've said and backed it up. Now show me where Lewis said during Merc's run that they should be slowed. He said he hoped others could catch up and fight, while knowing full well what kind of advantaage he had, and that they weren't catching up anytime in the near future.
Stop falling back on the lame "You just don't like Lewis" crap.
And Max isn't saying it now, just like he didn't say it when RBR were chasing Merc.
Dude

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
10 minutes ago, wood said:

Dude

What? I'm waiting for something resembling a rational argument from you as to how I'm wrong, instead of "You just don't like Lewis". Probably too much to ask for.

15 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

You're not seeing the forest through the trees. Lewis wants, and has always wanted, a tighter field. That's it. The fact he phrased it one way then vs now isn't the point. The big picture idea is the same. 

Eh. Not really. Saying "Gee whiz, I wish I had more competition" - as you pull away from the field at will while not even running the PU hard, knowing damn well you aren't going to get more competition - isn't anything like saying you want the car that's kicking your ass to be slowed. Not seeing that would be 'not seeing the forest for the trees' imho. Had Lewis said something stupid back then like 'Man, we're just kicking everyone's asses soooo hard. The FIA should reel us in", then you might have a point. But he didn't, because he knew he had a very good thing.

Edited by wood

Eh. Not really. Saying "Gee whiz, I wish I had more competition", as you pull away from the field at will while not even running the PU hard, knowing damn well you aren't going to get more competition, isn't anything like saying you want the car that's kicking your ass to be slowed. Not seeing that would be 'not seeing the forest for the trees' imho. Had Lewis said something stupid back then like 'Man, we're just kicking everyone's asses soooo hard. The FIA should reel us in", then you might have a point. But he didn't, because he knew he had a very good thing.
Dude
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
7 minutes ago, wood said:
Eh. Not really. Saying "Gee whiz, I wish I had more competition", as you pull away from the field at will while not even running the PU hard, knowing damn well you aren't going to get more competition, isn't anything like saying you want the car that's kicking your ass to be slowed. Not seeing that would be 'not seeing the forest for the trees' imho. Had Lewis said something stupid back then like 'Man, we're just kicking everyone's asses soooo hard. The FIA should reel us in", then you might have a point. But he didn't, because he knew he had a very good thing.

Dude

Still got nothing then?

Cool, cool, cool ...

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
31 minutes ago, wood said:
Still got nothing then?
Cool, cool, cool ...

You're not looking at this objectively, but you do you.

How are you looking at it any more objectively than I am, and how can you make such an assertion when you've done nothing but say "You just don't like Lewis" despite numerous opportunities to shoot me down with facts if they were available? Who knows? Maybe you could come up with something that shows I'm wrong. But "You're not objective" and "You just don't like Lewis. Own it" while bringing absolutely nada of substance doesn't cut it, and it's anything but 'objective' lol. 

You also said earlier that Max hasn't called for a tighter field. That's the one thing you've been accurate about, but why should Max do that? He'd be a moron to do that. And all I remember from Max when he was chasing a dominant Merc was him saying stuff like "We need to do better if we want to catch them. We have a lot of things we have to improve on". Same with Alonso when he was chasing RBR at Ferrari. "They're doing a great job. We have to do better".

Lewis challenges his own team in a similar manner as well. I don't see a huge difference between the two comments and clearly you do. I'm also not sure how objectivity comes into play on people's interpretations of someone's opinion.

No one's going to convince you on anything F1 related so I'm done after this. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

I'm also not sure how objectivity comes into play on people's interpretations of someone's opinion.

No one's going to convince you on anything F1 related so I'm done after this. 

I never expected to change anyone's mind. I was just stating my opinion based on the obvious differences in the quotes. When someone comes at me, dismissing that right off the bat with nothing more than "You don't like Lewis" and "You aren't being objective (because you don't like Lewis)", that's what causes the pushback. I don't care for Vettel either, for example, but I've never said such a thing about him because afaik, he never did it.

Anyway ...

Edited by wood

Definitely rooting for her. My dad is 14 months post his stroke. Very different kind of person - was always quiet, a LOT older than Jennie, didn't get paid to talk. He'll get on a rhythm and it's like he's 100% back to normal and then all of a sudden, he just takes a left turn and gets off course. Hopefully, Jennie has made it further along - she's got a lot more going in her favor but don't be surprised if she has some struggles. 

Regardless of what happens, I'd call this pretty fucking courageous of her just 8 months after.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Definitely rooting for her. My dad is 14 months post his stroke. Very different kind of person - was always quiet, a LOT older than Jennie, didn't get paid to talk. He'll get on a rhythm and it's like he's 100% back to normal and then all of a sudden, he just takes a left turn and gets off course. Hopefully, Jennie has made it further along - she's got a lot more going in her favor but don't be surprised if she has some struggles. 

Regardless of what happens, I'd call this pretty fucking courageous of her just 8 months after.

Yep, she's a badass. Nice lady too. Met her in the KXAN suite at COTA a few years back. Hopefully with Jennie they'll just let her ease into it & not have her bite off more than she can chew. Best wishes for your dad. My MIL recently went through a stroke and the changes in the way she expressed herself were definitely striking. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Holy shit, Hulk is signed for another year at HAAS. That's the sort of big move the team needed to put them over the top.

KMag says their great new title sponsor has changed everything. The biggest sponsor on that car is Haas Machine Tools, which has plenty of cash to burn. That team is hilarious.

On 8/20/2023 at 4:16 PM, deft said:

The man, the myth, the legend

9053f0128ef540ab7d00a94ebc3f6f69.jpg

Asked by Speedcafe as to why he dressed as Duffman, he replied: “Because the prize for the best costume was your weight in beer, and I really wanted to win the prize!

“I was thinking about it, obviously being mainly an American crowd, so I went for The Simpsons and Duffman.”

As to whether Duffman was his favourite character from the show, he said: “I would still go for Homer.”

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/08/24/bottas-explains-duffman-cycling-escapade/

Not just a legend, he’s a Total Fucking Legend. 

• Like 4

So who takes Perez's spot next year? He's gone, right? I can't see DR taking it given the lack of races this year and breaking his hand means he will be out even more. Albon already had a shot. 

They just let Max drive solo and still win anyway?