Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Uh, what's his agenda?  Supporting F1, which has made him an immense amount of money?

Lulz.

Immediately trying to quiet and gloss over a major safety event that significantly damaged his opponent's chances while promoting his own?  Yeah, he's just concerned about the image of F1, that's why he's bitching out reporters and dropping f-bombs.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I could go with it until the part where he says that it's not a big deal.  That could have killed someone, so yeah it is a big deal.

Yup.  Massively unsafe, potentially lethal driving conditions, are "nothing" to him.  Just as long as his team benefits and the F1 money train keeps rolling.

What a little bitch.

44 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I hate to rain on the MB bitch party, but according to Crofty on the FP2 broadcast, there was no vote of the teams.  The penalty was applied per the rules.  

the only people who don't think Toto Wolff is a huge bitch are folks wearing Merc-colored glasses.

he's a huge bitch and has shown it at basically every opportunity ever given to him over the last decade.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

the only people who don't think Toto Wolff is a huge bitch are folks wearing Merc-colored glasses.

he's a huge bitch and has shown it at basically every opportunity ever given to him over the last decade.

He and Horner are the same person, Toto is just taller.  And they're both bigger bitches than the rest of the Team Principals.  But I guess that's what job security gets you.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

He and Horner are the same person, Toto is just taller.  And they're both bigger bitches than the rest of the Team Principals.  But I guess that's what job security gets you.

yeah, and Christian Horner is a tiny bitch.

they are two sides of the same coin

• Hook 'Em 1

Horner has a little more tact, but is also more whiny.  They are basically the same though.  Toto normally doesn't bother me, but he's kind of doing his best to step in it with this one.  He could have said it was a very unfortunate accident that the Las Vegas Grand Prix worked quickly to correct and isn't this a wonderful place to have a race?   That's much better than pretending like nothing happened and giving Ferrari shit for complaining about the penalty.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Insane to me after all the money, planning, and physical work that has gone into the project, they never bothered to check if those drain covers could be a problem. Infuriating for the drivers/teams and I’m sure massively frustrating for the true fans. 

From what I've read, they did have them secured, but not well enough for the massive force a downforce F1 car would create. It's not trivial, but it's happened numerous times before at Baku, Malaysia, Monaco, and China I think. Not having any support races didn't help them, but even then it's doubtful that they'd have exposed the problem.

6 hours ago, RPM said:

That looks like cold lay asphalt. It can be compacted any time, but it's not going to hold up to F1 traffic. More suitable for driveway patching. That shit will fly out of there like popcorn.

So do we know that picture is real? All I ever heard they were using is concrete, and I never saw anything odd looking like that in FP2.

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Favorite comment from the broadcast team when they were wondering why Sainz stopped: “Maybe he saw a $20 blackjack table.”

Yeah that was comedy gold, Jerry. Button said it, I think. I was blown away by the crazy table minimums last year when  I was out there for my boy's volleyball nationals. $50 or higher, and if you found a rare one that was lower than that, you couldn't get a seat.

4 hours ago, faps said:

Channeling their inner COTA. 

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Parts of the track had to open to traffic at 4:00am.  I don't think they also wanted to have to clear out fans while getting the track ready for that.

That's not why they kicked people out. They were supposed to open the roads at 0400 originally, but they got that pushed back so that FP2 could run 'til 4. The reason the fans were told to leave is because there was no staffing as the workers had to go home sometime. You'd think they coulda scrounged up enough staff at triple secret overtime to keep an eye on the 50-100 people left in the stands. Same excuse COTA uses when they close 3/4 of the track for a whole race weekend or just strand people waiting for buses.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

my biggest question is why they didn't weld them down like they do...everywhere else?

I think they had epoxied them down, not anticipating the extra 'suction' produced by ground effect cars versus the old cars. The real question for me is how did they pass homologation.

I don't know if that was option based on what I've seen. The whole valve box came out of the ground and not just the cover.  They need a completely different type of box that can be anchored in to the street more securely. 

The valve box was still in the ground. The steel/iron sleeve broke along with some of the concrete surrounding it when the cover lifted and was slammed into it. It seems like maybe a car ahead lifted the cover slightly before Sainz hit it. Ocon also had damage. Might've been him. Alonso apparently just missed it, so I'd bet it was raised already when he saw it. He got there ahead of Sainz, too.

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

A contentious press conference with delayed FP2. The questioner is asking some stupid shit of Ferrari’s team principal in teh first couple of minutes. If anyone can grab from that broadcast it is interesting.

He tells him what Sainz said and how it is totally unacceptable, the interviewer says, “let’s look at the bigger picture”

Ferrari guys says, “This one is a good one. I don’t need to have a bigger picture than this one”.

Interviewer says, “tell us about all the fun stuff Ferrari is doing and tell us how awesome the Las Vegas Grand Prix is for Ferrari” (a bit of paraphrasing there)

”I’m not sure this is the topic for me today” and then says the F1 decision on Sainz was totally wrong, Toto chimes in and says some smartass shit and Ferrari guy answers that Toto would be mad too in his situation.

Yeah Vowles sure skirted the GM question with haste. LOL. Fuck that guy.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, that's the number.  I think covering them was the only option they had since there are so many combined with the time crunch.  They had to do something.  They are lucky it was just a car that got destroyed instead of a driver getting decapitated.  Massa almost got killed by a small 3-4" spring. 

Or a fan, or marshall, or anyone else. F1 has been very lucky with covers and drain grates, etc over the years.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I thought I read someplace online that these early practice sessions were free.

They weren't.

1 minute ago, wood said:

So do we know that picture is real? All I ever heard they were using is concrete, and I never saw anything odd looking like that in FP2.

Asphalt is technically "asphalt concrete". I worked for the #3 paving contractor in the US and know way too much about this stuff. There's no way that stuff they plugged in there is better than welding the valve (not manhole) covers.

• Hook 'Em 3

I would say there's a fair chance Mercedes was the team who objected because of the constructor and driver standings.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

Complete bullshit for Sainz to get hit w/ a grid penalty for something that is the track's responsibility.

So, yeah. I'd say there was a good chance as well. They're categorically denying that they were opposed to dismissing the penalty on the basis that the rules don't even allow a vote, so they couldn't be for or against it. That seems like some Jedi Mind Trick kinda logic, for sure.

And yeah this has happened before with similar results re: penalties, etc. They really need to take a look at finding some relief when someone gets hit with some kind of force majeur like this.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Doesn't make Toto any less of a bitch.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolff-vegas-gp-manhole-incident-not-a-black-eye-for-f1/10547518/

Nope, he doesn't sound like he's pushing an agenda at all. 

LOL the guys on Autosport said Toto was such a pit bull about it,  it sounded like he was pushing for Stefanbo's job.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Asphalt is technically "asphalt concrete". I worked for the #3 paving contractor in the US and know way too much about this stuff. There's no way that stuff they plugged in there is better than welding the valve (not manhole) covers.

Yeah it's crazy how some people thought that was a manhole cover, and yeah I never saw any actual photos of what they 'repaired' it with & wouldn't know myself what would be a good alternative to welding. Glad everything went well for FP2. I was half asleep, still sleepy from last night, but I never saw anything weird looking on the track. But I sure didn't have my eyes open the whole 90 minutes either.

• Haha 1

So Brundle was wrong when he talked about the penalty during the part of FP2 I watched.  The stewards said they could not grant a derogation to Sainz because of the way the rules are written, but added a note that said they would have done so if able.  Sounds a lot like stupid school zero tolerance policies.

I wonder if that’s hangover from the Max/Lewis drama in the final race in 2021.

I read somewhere (thought it was this thread) that Vegas said spot welding would have been illegal.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh yeah ... Vamos Fernando! Looking good so far, P3 despite never really nailing a whole lap.

My kid has been pounding out laps around Vegas in the F1 2023 game, and he says putting together a solid lap has been the hardest thing about this track. He usually gets right up to speed very quickly and has run some laps in the 1:35s, but has been struggling putting a whole lap together. He says the braking points are really hard to spot, the trailing braking is tough to get just right, etc. Same thing I've been reading from others who've been driving it, and Button was saying it last night as well - that it looks like a simple track, but it really isn't at all.

Horner has a little more tact, but is also more whiny.  They are basically the same though.  Toto normally doesn't bother me, but he's kind of doing his best to step in it with this one.  He could have said it was a very unfortunate accident that the Las Vegas Grand Prix worked quickly to correct and isn't this a wonderful place to have a race?   That's much better than pretending like nothing happened and giving Ferrari shit for complaining about the penalty.
Agreed. That's basically what Vowels said during their interviews.

7 hours ago, Mittens said:

Complete bullshit for Sainz to get hit w/ a grid penalty for something that is the track's responsibility.

btw:  #FlashbackFriday

On this day, 11 years ago, we were watching Qualifying at Circuit of the Americas for 1st the United States Grand Prix since 2007.

should swap vegas and cota moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ha, 115 degrees surrounded by concrete and asphalt would be fun.  The drivers will love it.

on october 21 the high was 91°, and just after midnight it was in the low 70s.  in austin on that day it was in the low 90s at race time.  the forecast high for sunday in austin is 70°.  the races should be swapped.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dunno how much of it is F1 media folks trying to blow things up for clicks, but all the headlines around Max and his dislike of this production are pretty great.

image.png.eefcf864f5281c1cdd7aa9b4aca80cd0.png

Verstappen: New F1 races shouldn't be substitute for getting "s***faced" in Ibiza
Max Verstappen has said new Formula 1 races need greater “passion and emotion” and must educate fans rather than be an alternative for getting “completely s***faced” in Ibiza.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-new-f1-races-shouldnt-be-substitute-for-getting-sfaced-in-ibiza/10548305/

"I can go on for a long time, but I feel like of course a kind of show element is important, but I like emotion,” Verstappen said after qualifying when asked for his overall assessment of the Las Vegas weekend so far.

“For me, when I was a little kid it was about the emotion of the sport, what I fell in love with and not the show of the sport around it because I think as a real racer, that shouldn’t really matter.

“First of all a racing car, a Formula 1 car anyway on a street circuit, I think doesn’t really come alive. It’s not that exciting.

“I think it’s more about just proper racetracks. You know, when you go to Spa, Monza, these kind of places, they have a lot of emotion and passion.

“And for me, seeing the fans there is incredible and for us as well, when I jump in the car there, I’m fired up and I love driving around these kinds of places.

“Of course, I understand that fans need maybe something to do as well around the track, but I think it’s more important that you actually make them understand what we do a sport because most of them just come to have a party, drink, see a DJ play or a performance act.

“I can do that all over the world. I can go to Ibiza and get completely sh*tfaced and have a good time.

“But that’s what happens and actually people, they come, and they become a fan of what? They want to see maybe their favourite artist and have a few drinks with their mates and then go out and have a crazy night out.

“But they don’t actually understand what we are doing and what we are putting on the line to perform.

“And I think if you would actually invest more time into the actual sport, what we’re actually trying to achieve here, too, as a little kid, we grew up wanting to be a World Champion.

“If I think the sport would put more focus on to these kinds of things and also explain more what the team is doing throughout the season, what they are achieving, what they’re working for, these kinds of things I find way more important to look at than just having all these random shows all over the place.

“For me, it’s not what I’m very passionate about, and I like passion and emotion with these kinds of places.

“I love Vegas, but not to drive an F1 car. I love to go out, have a few drinks, throw everything on red or whatever, to be a bit crazy and have nice food.

“But like I said, emotion, passion, it’s not there compared to some old school tracks.”

It'll never happen but I'd love to see F1 at any of Watkins Glen, Barber Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, Road America, Laguna Seca, or Mid Ohio.

The US has some old school interesting road tracks. They just wouldn't meet modern F1 safety standards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1