Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Did anybody tell Chris he was taking the literal worst P5 job EVAR? Seems like a small oversight. 

That's the type job you have to take when you choke your fiance. It was a desperation move made by Ole Miss. 

It's going to be funny when Beard bolts after a year and all Ole Miss gets is bad PR for a year. Karma has a funny way of working things out for programs that do shit like this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Beard has lost double digits in every in single year at the P5 level except two. His runnerup year and his choke a bitch year. 

and rick barnes wins a shit ton of regular season games on a regular basis and you guys dismiss that and then crush him for not winning more in the postseason. funny how you always have the most negative view on everything. and i don’t have to tell you what that means about you, lol.

• Like 1

Pretty amusing how the narrative has changed now that they imploded over the last month. It was a marvelous coaching job on him at that point and now it’s on the program for being a black hole. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

Pretty amusing how the narrative has changed now that they imploded over the last month. It was a marvelous coaching job on him at that point and now it’s on the program for being a black hole. 

exactly nobody did not see this coming. the team did not implode, it stopped playing teams outside the top 200 and started playing tennessee, kentucky, miss state, and south carolina. nobody is surprised by the conference results.

what was surprising and impressive was beard getting his team into the top 25 for four weeks, a place ole miss had not been since january of 2019. in fact from february 8th, 2010 to december 18th 2023 ole miss had spent a total of four weeks ranked, something that chris beard managed to accomplish in his first 2.5 months as their HC.

at this point, the people who run into this thread to take little uninformed jabs at chris beard need to realize that all they are doing is waving a giant banner that says, “i have no idea what im talking about.”

Edited by shadow_operative

I will admit that he has done a good job. I still think not making the tournament is a failure of sorts this year, but that is only because I view him as a top-5 coach.  I'm sure he will make the tourney next year and will be a thorn in our ass for years to come.

I disagree a little about how shitty the Ole Miss job is.  I think he will be there for 3-4 years. Maybe longer.  There is no reason a coach as good as Beard can't make them into a national power. I think their building blocks are at least as good as Tech. Probably better.  Other coaches have had some success there, but it has been inconsistent.

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

exactly nobody did not see this coming. the team did not implode, it stopped playing teams outside the top 200 and started playing tennessee, kentucky, miss state, and south carolina. nobody is surprised by the conference results.

what was surprising and impressive was beard getting his team into the top 25 for four weeks, a place ole miss had not been since january of 2019. in fact from february 8th, 2010 to december 18th 2023 ole miss had spent a total of four weeks ranked, something that chris beard managed to accomplish in his first 2.5 months as their HC.

at this point, the people who run into this thread to take little uninformed jabs at chris beard need to realize that all they are doing is waving a giant banner that says, “i have no idea what im talking about.”

Yeah, this is just laughable. In the last three weeks, they lost to Georgia, A&M, Mississippi State. I believe Beard is a top ten coach, but the blind dick riding is just nauseating at this point. It’s ok to admit that even upper echelon coaches aren’t perfect. The highest rated win is against the sixth best team in the SEC. I don’t think a few weeks of being ranked that ended 2 games into conference play is something to throw a party over. Come back to me when they win a tournament game and i’ll lead the Beard parade. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

Yeah, this is just laughable. In the last three weeks, they lost to Georgia, A&M, Mississippi State. I believe Beard is a top ten coach, but the blind dick riding is just nauseating at this point. It’s ok to admit that even upper echelon coaches aren’t perfect. The highest rated win is against the sixth best team in the SEC. I don’t think a few weeks of being ranked that ended 2 games into conference play is something to throw a party over. Come back to me when they win a tournament game and i’ll lead the Beard parade. 

who has been “blindly dick riding” beard? who “threw a party” over ole miss being ranked for four weeks? nobody is even in here saying that this has been a good season or giving beard any undue credit. we’re literally just responding to the hyperbolic drive by pot shot posts, eg “if he was really a top 5 coach he’d have made the tourney this year with ole miss” by responding with something to the effect of, “yeah no.” that’s what you call “blind, nauseating dick riding”? yeah i don’t think so.

Edited by shadow_operative

58 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

who has been “blindly dick riding” beard? who “threw a party” over ole miss being ranked for four weeks? nobody is even in here saying that this has been a good season or giving beard any undue credit. we’re literally just responding to the hyperbolic drive by pot shot posts, eg “if he was really a top 5 coach he’d have made the tourney this year with ole miss” by responding with something to the effect of, “yeah no.” that’s what you call “blind, nauseating dick riding”? yeah i don’t think so.

Well as long as you believe in what you post, then we're happy for you.

screamqueensedit GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if he was really a top 5 coach he’d have made the tourney this year with ole miss

Nobody said this. 

What <I> said is that AS a top-5 coach (which I believe he is), this season should be viewed as a failure since he didn't make the tourney.

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t think Beard is a top five coach.  Top ten?  Sure 

Out of curiosity, who are your top-10?

I would go:

1. Bill Self
  2. Tom Izzo
  3. Scott Drew  (uggh)
  4. Mark Few
  5. Kelvin Sampson (uggh)

Then the following in some order: Dan Hurley, Tony Bennett, Chris Beard, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Nate Oats, Rick Barnes, Matt Painter, Jamie Dixon

So maybe Beard isn't top-5. Hard to put him over any I listed in the top-5, especially with his current baggage.  But, he has a lot more runway than some of the others on the list, so he will likely get back there.

20 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Out of curiosity, who are your top-10?

I would go:

1. Bill Self
  2. Tom Izzo
  3. Scott Drew  (uggh)
  4. Mark Few
  5. Kelvin Sampson (uggh)

Then the following in some order: Dan Hurley, Tony Bennett, Chris Beard, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Nate Oats, Rick Barnes, Matt Painter, Jamie Dixon

So maybe Beard isn't top-5. Hard to put him over any I listed in the top-5, especially with his current baggage.  But, he has a lot more runway than some of the others on the list, so he will likely get back there.

I guess it depends on criteria?  Are we talking accomplishments or upside?  Have to look at it holistically.  The 5 in your top 5 have accomplished more than Chris has.  You'd also have a hard time selling me Chris over Hurley or Bennett, because well, national titles right?  

Izzo's skill was taking guys in the National 30-50 range and getting them to stay four years while coaching them up and getting them to play well together.  In this day of NIL and transfer portal, that strategy may not work so well anymore.  If a player in that range isn't getting minutes from day 1, they are likely just going to transfer.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

IMO, Izzo has lost his fastball and it pains me to say this but Mr. Davis in Chapel Hell is up there with the others. 

The same Davis that took the #1 preseason team to out of the tournament last year.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I guess it depends on criteria?  Are we talking accomplishments or upside?  Have to look at it holistically.  The 5 in your top 5 have accomplished more than Chris has.  You'd also have a hard time selling me Chris over Hurley or Bennett, because well, national titles right?  

Also having literally watched Beard get out coached by Bennett.

15 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Maybe, just maybe, make sure that UCF isn't your toughest non-conference game in the future. 15 of your 20 wins on the season were Q3 or Q4 games. Is it really a collapse when you were never a good team in the first place?

Screenshot(29).thumb.png.86740e2b509b0d5d3b4e903b94c338eb.png

Edited by Hookem2147

Miss state law only allows for max 4 year contracts for state university employees.  Kiffin keeps getting a new "contract" every year, which is just a new four year deal with a raise. Seems to be their AD's MO

Maybe I'm the only one who would rather be at Ole Miss than Louisville.  Yes, Louisville has a better program historically, but with the pending demise of the ACC I would rather be at one of the big boy conferences until the dust settles.  

I also think Beard's hard nosed, underdog, gritty mentality will not play as well at one of the historic blue bloods.  Or in the NBA for that matter.

All this talk of how shitty Ole Miss is as a program and destination motivated me to see where they stand historically.  I created a database of all the Massey rankings since 1980. Not the best, but they are free and directionally accurate.  (I'll probably start a new thread on it because there are some interesting insights on the overall landscape).  But anyway, Ole Miss ranks the following:

• Since 1980 - #57  (ahead of #69 Texas Tech)
  • Since 2000 - #52  (ahead of #60 Texas Tech)
  • Last 10 Yrs - #62 (behind #21 Texas Tech)
  • Last 5 Yrs - #58  (behind #13 Texas Tech)

Beard is the big reason why Tech is a top-15 program over the last 5 years when historically they are worse than Ole Miss.  Just like his situation at Tech, they already have some solid infrastructure and are committed to improving the program (as evidenced by them hiring him in the first place). 

I wouldn't be surprised if he roots down there. He had opportunity to leave Texas Tech before Texas came calling and he passed. 

17 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he roots down there. He had opportunity to leave Texas Tech before Texas came calling and he passed. 

Kinda apples and oranges. Beard has big time roots at both Tech and Texas. He doesn't have anything tethering him to Ole Miss except a paycheck.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Bill Self is the best coach in basketball, then it’s a group that includes Beard, Bennett, Lloyd, Few, Hurley, and Sampson.  

Pitino is a wild card because he’s at a shitty St. John’s program and he’s old.  Not sure where to put him.  

Then Izzo, Cronin, Drew, Hubert Davis, Cal, Barnes?  The Iowa State coach is working his way into this convo.