Oklahoma Recruiting 2024: Sunken Eyes and Licking Lips

Constant

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

IMG_1136.jpeg

7 hours ago, Sabalo said:

giphy.gif.9280b1de8e44f73ccc2ca280ae6c5c81.gif

That’s actually prime Argentine leather from a beach in Mar del Plata. He parents likely came over from Italy 🇮🇹 before the mid 1930s.

She will scream at you, fuck you, scream at you again, and then make you an awesome meal. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's interesting seeing a) how little overlap we've had in our targets compared to previous years and b) Venables got his guys in early, just like Sark. Makes aggy look even worse.

Very little drama with the ‘24 class. Excited about this defensive line’s potential. 

IMG_5811.thumb.jpeg.46efdf619158281d7a7f2772945acd0f.jpeg

Well, very close to a drama free signing day. 26/27 are in. Tatum is not and seems to be shifting to signing later. Losing a 5 star running back on signing day is becoming a sort of tradition. 

Tatum was never going to be an EE with his baseball season coming up, but only one way to read this sort of news. Venables expected 27/27 today. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

Well, very close to a drama free signing day. 26/27 are in. Tatum is not and seems to be shifting to signing later. Losing a 5 star running back on signing day is becoming a sort of tradition. 

Tatum was never going to be an EE with his baseball season coming up, but only one way to read this sort of news. Venables expected 27/27 today. 

DeMarco Murray is the gift that keeps on giving

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

What are the odds of him ever showing up on campus?  Isn't he a top 100ish pick?

23 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

What are the odds of him ever showing up on campus?  Isn't he a top 100ish pick?

Composite #38 and #1 RB. I suppose it’s about 100% he’s on campus at this point. 

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

Guess there was an agreement reached.

We do have money!

2 hours ago, Constant said:

Who is James? Surely not James Hale?

Jackson Arnold's camp presented their case to Venables after the season. Gabriel comes back, Arnold hits the portal. Venables told Gabriel he wasn't guaranteed the starting job next year and he left. This story was from an involved party, but feel free to dismiss it out of hand as that is a reasonable approach to the forums. Might be obvious, but figured it was worth noting to track for future outcomes and similar situations regarding the decisions Venables makes.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Jackson Arnold's camp presented their case to Venables after the season. Gabriel comes back, Arnold hits the portal. Venables told Gabriel he wasn't guaranteed the starting job next year and he left. This story was from an involved party, but feel free to dismiss it out of hand as that is a reasonable approach to the forums. Might be obvious, but figured it was worth noting to track for future outcomes and similar situations regarding the decisions Venables makes.

Exactly how it should have played out. I actually believe Gabriel was told much sooner that ‘24 is Arnolds team, but semantics. 

The quarterback position is its own beast, but you have to play the better player. Arnold is better than Gabriel in every quantifiable way. He still has to put it together and be what he’s supposed to be, but i’m glad he isn’t going to be sitting behind a lower ceiling guy. 

The portal is cutthroat and I have no issues with coaches being cutthroats. 

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

Exactly how it should have played out. I actually believe Gabriel was told much sooner that ‘24 is Arnolds team, but semantics. 

The quarterback position is its own beast, but you have to play the better player. Arnold is better than Gabriel in every quantifiable way. He still has to put it together and be what he’s supposed to be, but i’m glad he isn’t going to be sitting behind a lower ceiling guy. 

The hope was that Gabriel would be an undeniable NFL selection, and so would slide gracefully on to greener pastures.

5 minutes ago, Constant said:

Almost 15k yards and 125 TDs isn't quantifiable? I understand that Arnold is the more physically talented player but I'm hearing this from all the OU fans in my life. Gabriel is a high-end college quarterback who has years of strong production. I do agree that Venables made the right call, but I think it's far from a guarantee that he comes in better than Gabriel next year and certainly don't think he's superior in every way. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who is Arnold's backup next year?  Good chance he'll be needed with a lot of unknown for the OL next year.

Hawkins, Zurbrugg, Booty, with Hawkins being the likely second guy up.

Just now, Jimmy Two Times said:

Almost 15k yards and 125 TDs isn't quantifiable? I understand that Arnold is the more physically talented player but I'm hearing this from all the OU fans in my life. Gabriel is a high-end college quarterback who has years of strong production. I do agree that Venables made the right call, but I think it's far from a guarantee that he comes in better than Gabriel next year and certainly don't think he's superior in every way. 

Agreed.  I think Gabriel is absolutely the higher-floor choice and if they thought the pieces were there for a playoff appearance (Veteran OL, high-prod receivers, hyper disruptive DEs), then you maybe entertain Gabriel for his last year at the expense of Arnold.  Given how things are in actuality, you have to trade one good year of Gabriel for potentially 2-3 high-ceiling years of Arnold developing alongside some of the young talent that's there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Constant said:

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

currently? absolutely not.

image.png.70a075b1cc23a72a718ad217928f4dac.png

Gabriel had a higher YPA than Arnold with 360 more attempts. he had a higher QB rating than Arnold.

he averaged more yards per rush than Arnold (4.0 vs 3.9) and had 73 more attempts.

you can spin this however you want it, but to say he's better than 76 year old Gabriel now or today is flat out wrong.

let's use the BYU game as a great example.

Gabriel played the first half. he went 13/21 for 191 yards (9.1 avg) and 2 TDs. his drives went

• 6 plays for 19 yards, punt
  • 7 for 85, TD
  • 5 for -6, punt
  • 7 for 52, TD
  • 12 for 71, FG

he had his concussion and left the game with OU winning 17-14.

Jackson Arnold went 5/9 for 33 yards (3.7 YPC) and 0 TDs. he ran 8 times for 24 yards (3.0 YPC) and 0 TDs. his drives went:

• 4 plays, 7 yards, punt
  • 3 plays, 4 yards, punt
  • 9 plays, 59 yards, missed FG (the drive went runs for +29, +13, +2, incomplete pass, 16 yard pass, +2 yard run, + 2 yard run, incomplete pass, missed FG)
  • 3 plays, 25 yards, TD (off a BYU sack fumble at the 25) - +2 yard run, + 7 yard run, +16 yard run
  • 10 plays, 22 yards, end of game (incomplete pass, +20 yard run, +5 run, +6 run, 0 yard run, +2 yard, 8 yard completion on 3rd and 8, -8 from Arnold - not sure what this really was, then kneel down x2)

BYU was the #55 defensive team in the country.

we will see how he does against Arizona, but come the fuck on man. Arnold has a higher ceiling, Arnold may be better in the future but today i don't think Arnold give you the best chance to win a national championship. Gabriel isn't anything incredible but the value in a 77 year old QB is very real.

shitty OLs have a way of crushing young QBs.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

Agreed.  I think Gabriel is absolutely the higher-floor choice and if they thought the pieces were there for a playoff appearance (Veteran OL, high-prod receivers, hyper disruptive DEs), then you maybe entertain Gabriel for his last year at the expense of Arnold.  Given how things are in actuality, you have to trade one good year of Gabriel for potentially 2-3 high-ceiling years of Arnold developing alongside some of the young talent that's there.

i agree with both of these thoughts. Gabriel is so shitty he ended up going to Oregon, where he is likely to have another very good year statistically. not like he was some trash QB who ended up at SHSU or Stamford.

no one has an issue with 2-3 years of Arnold vs 1 year of Gabriel - but to sit here and say that Arnold is better in every way is flat out wrong.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

but today i don't think Arnold give you the best chance to win a national championship.

I think that should tell you about the staff's realistic opinion of their season next year.  I'm glad they're not trying to blow smoke about how "we're in a position to win the playoffs every year" when that's not where the team is yet.  

21 minutes ago, Constant said:

I generally agree that OU should go to Arnold in 2024, but your schedule and current O-Line situation could make this a very tough year for him. Definitely throwing him into the fire. 

I guess y’all also blew Arnold’s redshirt, right? In an ideal world Jackson should have redshirted and Gabriel playing one more year. But I understand the move if JA threw out an ultimatum 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I generally agree that OU should go to Arnold in 2024, but your schedule and current O-Line situation could make this a very tough year for him. Definitely throwing him into the fire. 

I guess y’all also blew Arnold’s redshirt, right? In an ideal world Jackson should have redshirted and Gabriel playing one more year. But I understand the move if JA threw out an ultimatum 

Yep, bad roster management to burn a redshirt year with next to no meaningful development in live play.  Arnold barely threw the ball outside of the BYU game.  Couple that with a rebuild along the line and who knows what you get next year.  

7 hours ago, Constant said:

Arnold is better than Gabriel in every quantifiable way.

With all due respect, I have absolutely no idea how you can make such a declarative statement at this juncture.

This scenario kinda strikes me as somewhat similar to Colt McCoy/Garrett Gilbert. On one side, you have a smallish 3-star QB who is a model of consistency and efficiency, with a wealth of experience, leadership, and proven results. On the other, you have the Gatorade National HS Player of the Year*, who took over as a sophomore replacing a P5 QB signee, put up eye-popping numbers for two years at a school with a well-established system, was essentially guaranteed he’d be given the keys in year two at the latest, but got just enough PT to burn his shirt while not getting any substantive game experience in the regular season. If McCoy was granted a sixth year somehow and decided to come back, I’m sure there would’ve been people saying GG was better in every quantifiable way…and those people would’ve been dead wrong in every quantifiable way.

I’m not saying the kid is bad, but the HS numbers you must necessarily be using to elevate Arnold in order to arrive at your conclusion, are fairly comparable to the college numbers Gabriel has been putting up practically since day one. There is simply no way to make this claim without overlooking that fundamental truth, because there is no other basis upon which you could build such an argument. He might very well be great, but we have not seen anything to suggest that is a certainty at this point.

*Note: Gilbert’s line from the HS AA game—11-22, 161 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT. Freshman regular season stats—15-26, 124 yds, 0 TD (1 Rush), 0 INT

Arnold’s line from the HS AA game—12-23, 100 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT. Freshman regular season stats—18-24, 204 yds, 2 TD (1 Rush), 0 INT

I doubt Arnold is going to go 15-40 with 2 TDs and 4 INTs in the bowl game against Arizona, but he will have had a month of starter reps and the Wildcats aren’t exactly the ‘09 Crimson Tide. That said, I think it is an interesting matchup and I’m looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I watched Arnold play multiple games. He’s a good QB. But I was stunned at his rapid rise in the rankings his senior year. I felt his talent was nowhere near that ranking. I know Texas could have gone after him and didn’t think he was the best they could get (obviously). It will be interesting to see how he performs. 

• Hook 'Em 2