2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

Look out Austin area.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
200 AM CDT Thu Oct 5 2023

Blanco TX-Williamson TX-Bastrop TX-Hays TX-Burnet TX-Lee TX-

...Strong thunderstorms will impact portions of Williamson, northwestern Hays, Travis, northeastern Blanco, north central Bastrop, northwestern Lee and south central Burnet Counties through 300 AM CDT...

At 200 AM CDT, Doppler radar was tracking strong thunderstorms along a line extending from near Granger Dam to near Round Rock to near Smithwick. Movement was southeast at 25 mph.

HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 50 mph.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around unsecured objects.

Locations impacted include... Austin, Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Taylor, Elgin, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs, Granger, Lexington, Anderson Mill, Windemere, Serenada, Leander, Hutto, Lakeway, Manor, Lago Vista, and Bee Cave.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If outdoors, consider seeking shelter inside a building.

&&

TIME...MOT...LOC 0700Z 317DEG 22KT 3069 9725 3060 9767 3053 9812

MAX HAIL SIZE...0.00 IN
MAX WIND GUST...50 MPH

animated.thumb.gif.30eef110a56bd9e980a7f67929f1fd3f.gif

It's legit weird to go outside and 1) see it raining and 2) see it raining when there is no crazy winds, huge thunder/lightning shows, or hail. It's just a nice steady rain. Can't remember the last time that happened.

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any more info on rain totals for Hill Country west of Austin and also the Austin area??

So far…

Widespread totals of >1.5” covering a large swath of Hill Country (green color below) w/ max >4” showing up out by Lake LBJ.

Austin 1-2”

IMG_1154.thumb.png.7e8f57ed34219f84896856b2c3c042ea.png

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

58 minutes ago, texasdago said:

LOL... all that bitching yesterday and lots of us got 2-2.5" of rain in a few hours.  I'll take it.

50 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's never going to stop raining.

Look at this garbage. Why does it never rain here?

image.png.d2575ad08e8a3669bc7a93174694cd3a.png

It's never going to rain again.

Been raining pretty steady for about 5 hours in my neck of Houston and looks like it should keep going until about 3:00 this afternoon before finally drying up over the next few days. Nearest rain gauge to my house indicates we've received about 4.5' total in the past -50 hours. That's more rain than we got the entire stretch from mid-July to October 1st. 

Northern burbs have been getting deluged. Some areas near Conroe and Woodlands got upwards of 6' this morning.  

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I got to ride out two hours of it last night on the tarmac at DFW before Delta decided it was too dangerous to fly. It was shaking the plane and we were sitting still.

$88 Uber to a $500 hotel last night but back on my way home now.

I was 10 minutes from landing at DFW last night when they shut the airport down and diverted my plane to San Antonio.  I ended up in a hotel in San Antonio near the airport and moved to a morning flight to DFW but that flight has been delayed now for 3 hours.  Sitting on the plane now hoping to take off and get to Dallas finally.  Bad weather sucks along with OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was 10 minutes from landing at DFW last night when they shut the airport down and diverted my plane to San Antonio.  I ended up in a hotel in San Antonio near the airport and moved to a morning flight to DFW but that flight has been delayed now for 3 hours.  Sitting on the plane now hoping to take off and get to Dallas finally.  Bad weather sucks along with OU. 

We appreciate your sacrifice.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn, I feel for y'all flyers. Nothing worse than just wanting to get on your way and having to divert or sit on the tarmac (I guess nothing worse except for crashing due to weather.)

Flying sucks. Landed at ABIA last week and sat on the tarmac for an hour for the gate to open up. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Been raining pretty steady for about 5 hours in my neck of Houston and looks like it should keep going until about 3:00 this afternoon before finally drying up over the next few days. Nearest rain gauge to my house indicates we've received about 4.5' total in the past -50 hours. That's more rain than we got the entire stretch from mid-July to October 1st. 

Northern burbs have been getting deluged. Some areas near Conroe and Woodlands got upwards of 6' this morning.  

I wouldn't doubt we got 6 inches up in The Woodlands, but 6 feet is a bit of an overestimate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

It sure as hell was this summer.

This.  During the hottest days this summer the afternoon humidity in Houston often was in the 28-32% range.  That’s low for Houston.  Afternoon golf at 100+ degrees was much more bearable than a morning tee time in the low 90’s with much higher humidity.