2019 Texas Baseball Thread

texasstrong12

On 1/23/2019 at 1:17 PM, petscii said:

It's looooooooong-time coach and first under the bus when the peanut gallery got restless TOMMY HARMON days until baseball season.

Tommy should have a statue at Disch-Falk, the man is a fucking hero who would do anything for this university.

Yes, we play Texas Tech here in Austin this year in what promises to be the marquee Big XII series of the season.

FWIW---Purdue gametimes announced so you can at least make your opening weekend plans:

FRI-6:30p

SAT(DH)-1:00p & 4:30p (I'm guessing game two starts closer to 4:00p)

SUN-12:30p 

And the vaunted LSU series, pretty close to the usual itinerary:

FRI-6:30p, SAT-2:30p, SUN-1:00p.  I've gotta think 1 or more of those games gets picked up by FOX and/or ESPN family of networks.  

Really cannot wait.  We're gonna be a bit raw to start out the year while we figure out some new guys.  

Edited by Lobo

My daughter and I will be driving in for the Alumni game.  Is it free with open seating?  I haven't been to one of these since the one before the 2005 season. My son has posters of that team with all of the autographs.  Maybe my daughter can repeat that.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yes, we play Texas Tech here in Austin this year in what promises to be the marquee Big XII series of the season.

FWIW---Purdue gametimes announced so you can at least make your opening weekend plans:

FRI-6:30p

SAT(DH)-1:00p & 4:30p (I'm guessing game two starts closer to 4:00p)

SUN-12:30p 

And the vaunted LSU series, pretty close to the usual itinerary:

FRI-6:30p, SAT-2:30p, SUN-1:00p.  I've gotta think 1 or more of those games gets picked up by FOX and/or ESPN family of networks.  

Really cannot wait.  We're gonna be a bit raw to start out the year while we figure out some new guys.  

IIRC, wasn’t last years LSU series on something weird like ESPN+ where we had to stream it? I’m sure it’ll be something like espn Friday and Saturday then LHN Sunday or something. I plan on being at all 3 of those so like it matters for me 

21 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter and I will be driving in for the Alumni game.  Is it free with open seating?  I haven't been to one of these since the one before the 2005 season. My son has posters of that team with all of the autographs.  Maybe my daughter can repeat that.

Info on the Alumni game.    Wasn't the autograph session pregame in the past ?   Your daughter will enjoy going on the field.

AUSTIN, Texas—Texas Baseball is set to host its annual Fan Appreciation Day and Alumni Game on Saturday, February 2, at 1 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. This year, the autograph session will take place during the one hour immediately following the conclusion the nine-inning game.

Gates open at 11 a.m. prior to the unveiling of a bust honoring legendary former Texas Baseball head coach Augie Garrido. The late Garrido's bust, which is set to be unveiled at 11:30 a.m. on the plaza in front of the UFCU Disch-Falk Field home plate gate, will be placed alongside former head coaching greats Bibb Falk, Billy Disch, and Cliff Gustafson.

The Texas Baseball alumni will then take batting practice following the ceremony at noon. The alumni are expected to play four innings with current Texas Baseball players pitching for both sides, with one exception: Longhorn legend and seven-time Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens is scheduled to pitch the first inning for the alumni side, with his sons Kacy and Kody starting on the right side of the infield. 

The final innings will consist of current Texas Baseball players facing off in intrasquad action. Also note, not all alumni present in uniform at UFCU Disch-Falk Field will participate in gameplay.

The 2019 players and coaching staff will also sign autographs for one hour immediately following the conclusion of the game while fans will have the opportunity to play catch in the outfield and run the bases during that time. Season schedule posters and a 2019 Texas Baseball pennant provided by UFCU will available for autographs (while supplies last). Due to NCAA compliance issues, outside items may not be brought in for autographs. Any item provided by Texas Athletics is for personal use only and is not intended for sale.

The annual Alumni Game is televised by the Longhorn Network beginning at 1 p.m. LHN's Keith Moreland will provide play-by-play and Greg Swindell will be the color analyst.

Stay tuned to TexasSports.com and @TexasBaseball on Twitter for any updates due to inclement weather.

Texas opens the 2019 regular season on the road at Louisiana before the home opener on Friday, Feb. 22 against Purdue, the first of four games that weekend.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS (subject to change)

11:00 a.m.: Gates open  

11:30 a.m.: Augie Garrido bust unveiling 

12:00 p.m.: Alumni batting practice

12:35 p.m.: Texas infield
1:00 p.m.: First pitch
Postgame: Autograph session, play catch in the outfield

ACTIVE ALUMNI IN ATTENDANCE (subject to change)

Tres Barrera (catcher, Washington Nationals)
Kacy Clemens (first base, Toronto Blue Jays)
Kody Clemens (second base, Detroit Tigers)
Morgan Cooper (pitcher, Los Angeles Dodgers)
Ty Culbreth (pitcher, Colorado Rockies)
Parker French (pitcher, Colorado Rockies)
Zane Gurwitz (infielder, Los Angeles Angels)
C.J Hinojosa (infielder, San Francisco Giants)
Travis Jones (utility, Kansas City Royals)
Kyle Johnston (pitcher, Washington Nationals)
Nolan Kingham (pitcher, Atlanta Braves)
Andy McGuire (pitcher/utility, Toronto Blue Jays)
Hoby Milner (pitcher, Tampa Bay Rays)
Connor Mayes (pitcher, free agent)
Mark Payton (outfielder, Oakland Athletics)
Parker Joe Robinson (pitcher, Los Angeles Angels)
Josh Sawyer (pitcher, Chicago Cubs)
Chase Shugart (pitcher, Boston Red Sox)

https://texassports.com/news/2019/1/26/baseballs-annual-alumni-game-set-for-february-2.aspx

thought maybe one game would get picked up by ESPN/FOX, but both on LHN.  mid-week games with Arkansas both set for 6:30p.  And since it's Spring Break, I propose a late Surly workday lunch at 1:30p that rolls right into pre-game tailgate

https://texassports.com/news/2019/1/31/baseball-softball-general-public-ticket-sale-dates-announced.aspx

https://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=BBMP&linkID=tex-ath&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=&RSRC=TXemail&RDAT=bb-miniplan-onsale-013119

Single-game tickets for both baseball and softball will go on sale to the general public on Thurs., Feb. 7. Season tickets remain available for both teams

Fans can purchase tickets by visiting TexasSports.com/tickets or by calling Texas Athletics Ticket Sales & services at 512-471-3333 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. CT Monday-Friday.

First link has info on mini ticket packages and single game tickets.   Second link lists the levels of mini ticket packages.

Most other teams are also pushing the mini ticket packages before single ticket sales.   I have been waiting on Rice for the game on 19 Feb.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2019/01/no-16-texas-baseball-tallies-37-appearances-on-longhorn-network-and-espn-networks-as-part-of-industry-leading-ncaa-baseball-coverage/

Date Time (ET) Game Network
Sat, Feb 2 2 p.m. Baseball Alumni Game Longhorn Network
Fri, Feb 22 7:30 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Feb 23 2 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
  5:30 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Feb 24 2 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Feb 26 7:30 p.m. Sam Houston State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Feb 27 8 p.m. UT San Antonio vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Mar 1 7:30 p.m. No. 1 LSU vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 2 3:30 p.m. No. 1 LSU vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 3 2 p.m. No. 1 LSU vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 5 7:30 p.m. UT Rio Grande Valley vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 12 7:30 p.m. Texas Southern vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Mar 15 7:30 p.m. No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 16 3:30 p.m. No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 17 2 p.m. No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 19 7:30 p.m. No. 12 Arkansas vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Mar 20 7:30 p.m. No. 12 Arkansas vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 23 8:30 p.m. No. 16 Texas vs. No. 17 TCU ESPNU
Fri, Mar 29 8 p.m. Xavier vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 30 6:30 p.m. Xavier vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 31 1 p.m. Xavier vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Apr 5 9 p.m. No. 16 Texas vs. No. 18 Baylor ESPNU
Tue, Apr 9 7:30 p.m. Rice vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Apr 12 7:30 p.m. Kansas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 13 2 p.m. Kansas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Apr 14 2 p.m. Kansas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Apr 16 7:30 p.m. Lamar vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 20 4 p.m. No. 16 Texas vs. No. 21 Oklahoma State ESPNU
Fri, Apr 26 7:30 p.m. West Virginia vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 27 3:30 p.m. West Virginia vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Apr 28 1 p.m. West Virginia vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 7 7:30 p.m. Texas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 14 7:30 p.m. Incarnate Word vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Thu, May 16 7:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, May 17 7:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, May 18 3:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network

Notes from Joe Cook:

With the Alumni Game this Saturday at 1 p.m., here are a few notes ahead of the televised scrimmage capping the first week of practice.

David Pierce spoke to the media last Friday as baseball officially became "in-season" with the NCAA. The 2019 Longhorns are coming off a year where Kody Clemens and other veterans led the team to a Big 12 Championship and a College World Series appearance.

"We’re looking forward to day one," Pierce said. "We’re looking forward to getting into our grind, our prep, and getting ready for Lafayette."

Clemens, two weekend starters, and two bullpen regulars are in the minor leagues now, but there is still a lot of talent on the roster. Much of that talent is in the form of returning players, but there are plenty of first-year players who could see some action. Pierce wants that young talent to be ready and not think of themselves as waiting in line.

"Starting today they’re no longer freshmen in my eyes," Pierce said. "They have to look at it as an opportunity to go compete at a Division I level and trust what they’ve done because they’re stuff is relevant. If they go out and make quality pitches they can go out and beat anyone in the country."

Only two Longhorns made preseason all-conference teams, Duke Ellis and Zach Zubia. A lot of positions are yet to be determined, save shortstop.

That was set to be David Hamilton, whose 2018 had him primed for a big breakout season. A season-ending Achilles injury erased any chances at that, and instead created competition for both middle infield spots instead of just one at second base.

Though there was a competition in name for shortstop, it'd be a huge surprise if Masen Hibbler was not the guy on the left side of the infield come Opening Day. 

"Masen came in as a shortstop," Pierce said. "He’s a really good infielder. It worked out best for us and our combination to put him in left and let him settle in there last year. That shows his versatility. That shows his will to do whatever’s best for the team. He did a great job with that."

Ryan Reynolds looks much more athletic and is recovered from an offseason back injury that kept him out of fall ball. He should be the guy at third. 

The first two catchers should be DJ Petrinsky and Michael McCann. Pierce has spoken before about the positive effect two senior catchers can have on a team, and that is even more true with the amount of young pitching likely to see innings this season.

First base is intertwined with catcher as McCann is getting looks there, too. He and Sam Bertelson were the two who have caught Pierce's eye.

"I really like Sam Bertelson and Michael McCann right now as far as the things that they can do for us," Pierce said. "I think Michael has done enough to deserve a chance to go play every day as well as go relieve DJ."

Zach Zubia is also in contention for first base, but if he doesn't earn that spot he will remain in the lineup at DH.

Hibbeler narrowed the competition for a middle infield spot to second. Youth may win the job here as Lance Ford, Bryce Reagan, and Bryson Smith, all underclassmen, are major contenders for the job. 

Ellis should once again have an outfield spot locked up, so the two remaining positions are interesting battles. Tate Shaw, Austin Todd, and Kamron Fields are some of the experienced names battling for those spots. Fields could find himself regularly on the mound. A younger name Pierce mentioned was Eric Kennedy, brother of former Longhorn baseball player Nick Kennedy.

On the mound, Blair Henley and Matteo Bocchi are my picks for the first two guys of the weekend. After that, there are plenty of guys to compete for the third spot. Ty Madden was a guy I thought might get the Sunday spot, but someone else like Cole Quintanilla may be the guy. I think the Sunday and possibly even the Saturday pitcher could change a few times before conference play. 

On the injury front, outside of Hamilton's accident, Pierce said Donny Diaz is dealing with a "nagging ailment" in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Pierce said Diaz recently received a platelet-rich plasma shot for his arm.

This weekend, Texas will unveil a bust of the late Augie Garrido outside UFCU Disch-Falk Field at 11:30. His statue will be next to his predecessors Billy Disch, Bibb Falk, and Cliff Gustafson. First pitch of the actual game will be at 1 pm and will air on Longhorn Network.

Miniplans are now available and single game tickets go on sale February 7.

23 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2019/01/no-16-texas-baseball-tallies-37-appearances-on-longhorn-network-and-espn-networks-as-part-of-industry-leading-ncaa-baseball-coverage/

Date Time (ET) Game Network
Sat, Feb 2 2 p.m. Baseball Alumni Game Longhorn Network
Fri, Feb 22 7:30 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Feb 23 2 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
  5:30 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Feb 24 2 p.m. Purdue vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Feb 26 7:30 p.m. Sam Houston State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Feb 27 8 p.m. UT San Antonio vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Mar 1 7:30 p.m. No. 1 LSU vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 2 3:30 p.m. No. 1 LSU vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 3 2 p.m. No. 1 LSU vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 5 7:30 p.m. UT Rio Grande Valley vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 12 7:30 p.m. Texas Southern vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Mar 15 7:30 p.m. No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 16 3:30 p.m. No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 17 2 p.m. No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Mar 19 7:30 p.m. No. 12 Arkansas vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Wed, Mar 20 7:30 p.m. No. 12 Arkansas vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 23 8:30 p.m. No. 16 Texas vs. No. 17 TCU ESPNU
Fri, Mar 29 8 p.m. Xavier vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Mar 30 6:30 p.m. Xavier vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Mar 31 1 p.m. Xavier vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Apr 5 9 p.m. No. 16 Texas vs. No. 18 Baylor ESPNU
Tue, Apr 9 7:30 p.m. Rice vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, Apr 12 7:30 p.m. Kansas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 13 2 p.m. Kansas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Apr 14 2 p.m. Kansas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, Apr 16 7:30 p.m. Lamar vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 20 4 p.m. No. 16 Texas vs. No. 21 Oklahoma State ESPNU
Fri, Apr 26 7:30 p.m. West Virginia vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, Apr 27 3:30 p.m. West Virginia vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sun, Apr 28 1 p.m. West Virginia vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 7 7:30 p.m. Texas State vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Tue, May 14 7:30 p.m. Incarnate Word vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Thu, May 16 7:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Fri, May 17 7:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network
Sat, May 18 3:30 p.m. Oklahoma vs. No. 16 Texas Longhorn Network

thank god for LHN.  

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 1:30 PM, torre said:

https://texassports.com/news/2019/1/31/baseball-softball-general-public-ticket-sale-dates-announced.aspx

https://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=BBMP&linkID=tex-ath&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=&RSRC=TXemail&RDAT=bb-miniplan-onsale-013119

Single-game tickets for both baseball and softball will go on sale to the general public on Thurs., Feb. 7. Season tickets remain available for both teams

Fans can purchase tickets by visiting TexasSports.com/tickets or by calling Texas Athletics Ticket Sales & services at 512-471-3333 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. CT Monday-Friday.

First link has info on mini ticket packages and single game tickets.   Second link lists the levels of mini ticket packages.

Most other teams are also pushing the mini ticket packages before single ticket sales.   I have been waiting on Rice for the game on 19 Feb.

The following contests are limited to two redeemable tickets each, subject to availability: Purdue, LSU, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma.

Purdue????