2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

36 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Jay 27, Weslaco 14 in the 4th

Edit: YouTube Link didn't embed. https://www.youtube.com/live/VhaG2TUG2Bk?si=Zmhokq4mTfknucPy

That's the final, Jay 27-14 over Weslaco.A red zone fumble for Weslaco and a turnover on downs from 4th and goal on their last drive ultimately doomed the Panthers

Edited by TheBryMan81

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Who won between san Benito & United?  

United 58, San Benito 35

I won’t cry because Harlingen lost, I’ll smile because San Benito did too. The one valley team I will never, ever get behind even if they were playing an Allen team full of IMG transfers in the championship. 

A seriously down year for RGV 6a football, as Weslaco goes down against SA Jay, Harlingen thumped by SA Harlan, and PSJA goes down to SA Brennan. I can’t remember the last time we didn’t get at least one team through to the third. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

United 58, San Benito 35

I won’t cry because Harlingen lost, I’ll smile because San Benito did too. The one valley team I will never, ever get behind even if they were playing an Allen team full of IMG transfers in the championship. 

A seriously down year for RGV 6a football, as Weslaco goes down against SA Jay, Harlingen thumped by SA Harlan, and PSJA goes down to SA Brennan. I can’t remember the last time we didn’t get at least one team through to the third. 

South took it on the chin too in 5A today. I get that Brownsville vets is still alive but PSJA North is the only team capable of slaying the CC Miller dragon. 

I’m happy for Jay. That’s a notoriously rough school on the west side, and the whole Marbach area it’s in is a meme among SA residents. Cool to see it get some positive publicity for once.

Judson is Judson’ing. 38-34 Dripping springs now in the 4th. 

Marcos Davila and Midland Leegacy are taking it to Euless Trinity right now, 21-7. I thought he was a system guy but damn he really looks like a stud now. Hopefully he decommits and goes somewhere better than Purdue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

South took it on the chin too in 5A today. I get that Brownsville vets is still alive but PSJA North is the only team capable of slaying the CC Miller dragon. 

I’m happy for Jay. That’s a notoriously rough school on the west side, and the whole Marbach area it’s in is a meme among SA residents. Cool to see it get some positive publicity for once.

Marcos Davila and Midland Leegacy are taking it to Euless Trinity right now, 21-7. I thought he was a system guy but damn he really looks like a stud now. Hopefully he decommits and goes somewhere better than Purdue. 

Legacy doesn’t really have a system. Not a traditionally passing team. Davila is for real. There are some players in West Texas but Tech is about the only team the recruits the area, unless it’s a very obvious type guy (Roy Williams, Cedric Benson types).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s amazing to me to see what’s happened to Judson. That was the program that conquered Mojo and did them one better.  I have two early memories of Harlingen football and that was Johnny Jackson losing to a CC area school (I was super young) and then the 1989 team getting beat by Judson. 

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s amazing to me to see what’s happened to Judson. That was the program that conquered Mojo and did them one better.  I have two early memories of Harlingen football and that was Johnny Jackson losing to a CC area school (I was super young) and then the 1989 team getting beat by Judson. 

diluted the talent. Same thing happened to katy 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Our Chaps played them the last two years. They definitely have good players.

Maybe it's more the coaching. 

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The third high school has hurt Judson. All three Judson school qualified for the playoffs. Bur none still alive.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

@Helobious care to give us a scouting report on Laredo United? Strengths, weaknesses, etc. Thnx. 

They like to sling the ball around. Their QB Atzel Chavez is committed to UTRGV and has very atypical size for a Laredo kid (a solid 6’1 180 at least). Over 3,000 yards passing, but he’ll run it if you fall asleep on him. They have a pretty dynamic WR named Colt Lozano that’s just a freshman, but their main guy is Christian Saldana. Defense leaves much to be desired. They have a good coach and a couple wins over SA schools this year (Marshall and Taft), but I think Westlake will be way too much for them. Like they are for most teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2023 at 7:09 AM, lilMAC25 said:

Class of 96 here. 

I didn’t expect them to be good again this year after their run to the state championship last year and some talent moving on but they’ve been pretty godsend awesome.

SCALP EM!

Class of 96 here. 

I didn’t expect them to be good again this year after their run to the state championship last year and some talent moving on but they’ve been pretty godsend awesome.

SCALP EM!

had a good run playing there 10 years before ya, kiddo.   been away a long time but apparently they were right…it’s in the blood.  

Always be faithful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Class of 96 here. 

SCALP EM!

Seems that Gary Joseph 's son might know a little bit about football 

• Hook 'Em 2

If I drive 2.5 hours out to Longview for Carthage-Pleasant Grove, am I gonna get a seat? Stadium looks small on google maps
Also, I wish Texas would play on Thursday night instead of the biggest hsfb day of the season.

Buy tickets online. Stadium is kinda small 6500 but I heard they can add 1k seats. Should be some residual fans from Texarkana games but can’t imagine it being sold out. I think the only streaming is from NHFS network for this round so that could affect attendance.

https://www.pinetreeathletics.com/tickets.html
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

diluted the talent. Same thing happened to katy 

Katy High still wins and gets the love from the Katy community.   Judson has become like some of the former Northside schools who were powers back in the 80's and 90's like Churchill, Clark, Madison, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Katy High still wins and gets the love from the Katy community.   Judson has become like some of the former Northside schools who were powers back in the 80's and 90's like Churchill, Clark, Madison, etc.

Judson (and their neighbor Roosevelt) has had problems for a long time, but talent isn’t really a big one for them even now. When they were last good in the mid 2010s they still played stupid and undisciplined. Several of their notable players were actual active, violent gang members that are now either dead or in prison for murder (like Kevin Luster and Jaylen Dears). Sam Houston HS is in the same part of town, same demographics, but an even worse neighborhood and they didn’t have any issues to that degree. It’s just weird.

The current coaching staff has rid the program of those kinds of problem kids, but they just aren’t as good at coaching football.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, UpperWestside said:

I have a story about Roscoe that I think is worth sharing. In life I have run across so many people accidentally and this qualifies as that. I was working at a bank back in 2007 and a guy comes in once a week. He struck up a conversation with me one day. He and his son were going to watch SLC play Miami Northwestern and he asked if I wanted to go. I said sure that sounds like fun. His name was Don Witherspoon. I did not know his entire history at that point, but he told me he was a retired football coach who spent 35 years in coaching high school ball in Texas. He was about as Texan as it got. He sounded like the guy who owned the bar in Walker, Texas Ranger. He had so many stories from his years of coaching. Among them was coaching at Sweetwater in 1957 where he lost to Nederland for the state title. He was also there in 1958 when the Mustangs ended Abilene High’s unbeaten streak. One of his better stories was heading up to Amarillo early one morning from Sweetwater to listen to Coach Phillips speak at a coaches convention about his “Numbers” defense. He said Wade was with his dad and he resembled Spanky from The Little Rascals.

I went to an untold amount of games with Mr. Witherspoon. We even went to see the Plowboys in 2009 in the playoffs when they lost to Archer City. We also went to see a game at Sam Houston State between WO-S and LaVega. First thing I know he is talking to a guy and down on the field we go to see Dan Hooks. Mr. Witherspoon had coached at WO-S when it integrated and he was friends with Coach Hooks. They had not seen each other in probably 30 years. It was like they had seen each other the day before. He was also friends with the DC at the time as well , Cornell Thompson. Again picked up right where they left off. I got to meet both guys which was cool. We mostly saw Hebron games because his granddaughter graduated from there. Saw a whole bunch of games at The Woodshed with him and his son Doak (Named after Doak Walker and he passed from cancer in 2015.). I also met his son Tracy that lives in Lubbock still as well as D’Ann (He always told me the Good Lord should have gave her a set because she was the meanest and toughest of the four siblings) his daughter who lives in Colorado and his other son Dane who was a soap opera star in the 1980’s on Santa Barbara. He was married in the 80’s to Robin Wright. She is better known to most as Jenny from Forrest Gump among many other roles. He also passed in 2014. 

Mr. Witherspoon passed in 2010, a year after his wife. They both had their ashes scattered on the family farm in Roscoe. They grew up together from elementary school on. Mr. Witherspoon had talked about his high school days in Roscoe several times. He never showed me any pictures, but he did say he played on the 1945 and 1946 teams coached by Gordon Wood when he had returned from his stateside Naval service. He told me Coach Wood had mentioned their time together in Roscoe in his book. I decided I wanted to look up and see if there was anything about him and perhaps a picture. I had also met his brother Gene Witherspoon who was a lineman on the 1945 team. I am not sure if Gene is still around, but he would be in his mid 90’s and in Arkansas if he was. I found pictures of the two of them in uniform from 1945 for the Plowboys.

The first photo is of the backs from the team. Mr. Witherspoon easily stood out because he was barrel-chested even in high school it appears. He was 2nd from left, number 36. This was his junior year.

The 2nd photo his brother Gene is in with the linemen. He is 4th from left to right. Gene was a senior.

The 3rd also has Gene and he is on the far right, number 35. 

Just thought I would share this while I was thinking about it. He was a unique piece of high school football history in Texas. So many stories that he shared from the 1957 title game with Nederland to coaching in San Antone at Lanier in the early 80’s which may have been his best story.

IMG_9554.thumb.jpeg.98f4a5dcc92313c2479dd09ae880d630.jpegIMG_9553.thumb.jpeg.51488e17ee0afab1677a4ef731e4231f.jpegIMG_9552.thumb.jpeg.23da0e514cf2d4127cad374cf96f83a7.jpeg

Thanks for posting this, good stuff. 

As an aside, all these dudes look like they're in their mid-30s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I drive 2.5 hours out to Longview for Carthage-Pleasant Grove, am I gonna get a seat? Stadium looks small on google maps
Also, I wish Texas would play on Thursday night instead of the biggest hsfb day of the season.

As of this morning it Looks like PG has sold out their allotment but Carthage still has some available.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Timpson 75

Honey Grove 0

That's pretty damned unbelievable in Round 3.

Edit at Hornius Emeritus post above, Timpson doubled up the Warriors' points allowed...for the entire season. Edit #2: Timpson only won 68-7.

Edited by slorch

16 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Carthage flexing their muscles
28-28
3rd 3:30

I'd bet on the winner taking state, but neither of these teams are nearly as good as they've been recently.

Surratt's kid is playing QB and doesn't look that great.  PG's entire offense is snap it to QB (Ark commit) and let him do whatever.  He's a wiz, but he's made some bad mistakes. 

Timpson 75
Honey Grove 0
That's pretty damned unbelievable in Round 3.
Edit at Hornius Emeritus post above, Timpson doubled up the Warriors' points allowed...for the entire season. Edit #2: Timpson only won 68-7.

This gives me PTSD to 2005 when we were 12-0 and looking for revenge. We were down 14-0 before our offense ever stepped on the field. Ended up losing 52-0. I'll leave it at that and we'll see who can guess the teams involved.

Carthage D gets a stop, leading 34-31, under 2 left, now over.

Huntsville beat Randle 14-13.

Wimberley beat Ingleside badly, and Jaydon Smith was held off the scoreboard, so he settles for tying the national single-season TD reception record at 39.

Decatur 48 Estacado 21 (or something similar)

Poor one out for the last WF team, as Roho lost 55-44 to Emerson.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'd bet on the winner taking state, but neither of these teams are nearly as good as they've been recently.
Surratt's kid is playing QB and doesn't look that great.  PG's entire offense is snap it to QB (Ark commit) and let him do whatever.  He's a wiz, but he's made some bad mistakes. 

Yup
Final
Carthage 34
PG 31
Plenty of missed opportunities for PG

Brownsville Vets up on PSJA North 45-14 in what may be the biggest upset in RGV playoff history. All those fights and chirping PSJAN got a rep for came to a head today. Easily 100+ penalty yards and I believe at least one player ejection. Vets never backed down or play scared and just flat out looked like the superior team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1