2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

48-20 Davenport. This was 20-20 after Calhoun got a stop with 6 minutes left in the 3rd. 9 minutes of game time later they are down four touchdowns.

Very surprised by how sloppy Calhoun was handling the ball. Kind of gave the game away. Their big back was an absolute beast. 

Key injury tonight for Davenport. One of their best receivers #19 injured shoulder and couldn’t finish game. The way he was in sling and icing it looked like AC sprain. Doubt he plays next week. Is their best deep threat. 

1 hour ago, Boss Hogg said:

Very surprised by how sloppy Calhoun was handling the ball. Kind of gave the game away. Their big back was an absolute beast. 

Key injury tonight for Davenport. One of their best receivers #19 injured shoulder and couldn’t finish game. The way he was in sling and icing it looked like AC sprain. Doubt he plays next week. Is their best deep threat. 

this kid ?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Boss Hogg said:

Yeah that was the darndest string of turnovers I have seen since I don’t know when. It just snowballed all at once on them it felt like. I agree on that back. When he was getting it they were moving the chains and eating up big chunks of yardage. 

That’s going to be a big loss if he misses next week. That duo is so productive together. I guess that’d move Singletary up in the pecking game order. Fallon might even get a few more snaps as a WR. He has had one of the best seasons of any sophomore in the state and should go over 2000 on the ground this week. He’s already there with his all-purpose yardage. I hope they stay with Lampasas next realignment because I want to see two more years of Fallon against Badgers RB Jett Walker who had as productive a season as Fallon.

I am so damned proud of Brownsville Vets and what this means for RGV football.  And I’d say that it’s hard for me to think of a better team to get this if it couldn’t be my Cardinals or Port Isabel, the other RGV football king that can talk about having a multi-generational program.

First of all, Cameron county and the lower valley continuing to show that we just got a bit more of that grit than the upper valley. Maybe it’s the salt air.  Second, Brownsville and El Paso are maybe the most unique communities in the state and get shit on so I love when they get a boost. They’re in a different class and don’t have history with Harlingen really, so the success doesn’t pain me. And they did it the hard way, pulling two of the biggest playoff upsets of the year against the clear regional favorites.

Lastly, I hate PSJA North and always have. They play dirty and with attitude and like they’ve done more than they ever really have.  A defining moment in my fandom was in the 1990s, when valley coaching legend and full-time loudmouth Tony Villarreal coached them, and they lost a big showdown for the district championship in 31-5A back when there were two valley big school districts. He went on TV and told the reporter that it was a tough game but “I’ll tell you what, any team from this district can beat any team from that other district down there.” 

And next week 32-5a swept 31 in bidistrict with Harlingen stomping the shit out of PSJAN.  Lol. Warms my heart when they faceplant against the lower valley. 

Then I tied an onion to my belt as was the style….

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

N. Crowley 49

Allen 37

1:44 4th

Lee Boy has Allen on the right track. They had their opportunities to get control of that game in the 3rd quarter, but they don’t have the athletes or QB to do it. North Crowley had a gear that Allen just does not have yet.

I am biased because Coach Wig is from Lampasas, but I told a friend when he took the job that by his 3rd year they’d be really good again. Last year was a really rough first year for him personally because he lost his father during the season. His dad was his best friend and he coached him. They talked every single day of his life, even when he was away at Angelo State playing. His dad was such a good man and he took the loss really hard. Former Horn Curtis Thrift was a HS teammate of his and he spoke at the funeral. I hope he is back for another year because he has won at every single level as a head coach going back to Bosqueville, Comfort, Mexia and Midlothian Heritage. I saw his Bosqueville team years ago. Hard to believe how far he has come the last 25 years.

47 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Duncanville up 56-14 at halftime over Spring Westfield. Westfield put up 78 on a pretty good Rockwall team last week. Duncanville is just a different animal. Looking like yet another rematch with NorthShore again. This is like the Cavs/Warriors last decade.

Westlake will beat north shore, NS doesn’t have the defense they used to. I believe their CB Sanchez is their only fbs recruit on D, and their RB Hardeman the only one on O. Besides their QB and backup QB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
57 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:
Good. Hope the Golden Bears get that 3-peat! Best hamburger in Dallas is right down the street at Wingfield’s if it is still around. 

Heard about this place for awhile. Need to check it out. I've seen some of the pictures and definitely looks like a heart attack waiting to happen

I first went there 15 years ago or so. The fries are cooked in bacon grease and I got a triple with just cheese (no veggies) and it took an hour to finish the whole thing. It’s a literal hole-in-the-wall place, but they do breakfast and lunch if I remember right. 

Edited by UpperWestside

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I first went there 15 years ago or so. The fries are cooked in bacon grease and I got a triple with just cheese (no veggies) and it took an hour to finish the whole thing. It’s a literal hole-in-the-wall place, but they do breakfast and lunch if I remember right. 

I enjoy some Oak Cliff hole in the wall spots. Rudy's Chicken and Floyd's Catfish for starters. I dated a girl in South Oak Cliff area over a decade ago and learned a lot about that area. Before then, I only really knew about Pleasant Grove area in the southern sector. That's where a good amount of my friends are from. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I enjoy some Oak Cliff hole in the wall spots. Rudy's Chicken and Floyd's Catfish for starters. I dated a girl in South Oak Cliff area over a decade ago and learned a lot about that area. Before then, I only really knew about Pleasant Grove area in the southern sector. That's where a good amount of my friends are from. 

I went to church for years down off the East end of Illinois starting in 1999. Oak Cliff and Sunny South Dallas were always good to me. Made so many good lifelong friends in both areas. One of my friends from college that played for Madison now has his “Junior” getting ready to be in high school soon in Newton as the mom is from there. If he is anything like his father he is going to be hell on wheels on both sides of the ball for the Eagles.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

My preseason #1 in the Helo SA poll. Glad they broke through, had forgotten to check that score today.

Game can down to last possession. Dripping down by 7 drove to Steele 12 yard line with a minute left. QB gets pressured and throws up a duck that gets picked off on the goal line. Steele throws gutty pass on third down from their own 1 yard line to get a first down, ending the game. Another playoff heartbreaker for Dripping.

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

I underestimated how good David Amador was at QB. I betrayed my people. But if I’m not mistaken NS starting QB is out again for the season. 

Kaleb Bailey is NS QB. He's the kid who led them to state title as a Freshman, now a Junior. Tore his ACL last season and is back this season. Might have lost a 1/2 step but still quick and a better thrower (might be his pack of good WRs too). They aren't as good in the trenches, but they continue the NS tradition of just finding ways to win.  This should be a great game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
15 hours ago, Helobious said:
Westlake will beat north shore, NS doesn’t have the defense they used to. I believe their CB Sanchez is their only fbs recruit on D, and their RB Hardeman the only one on O. Besides their QB and backup QB.

Ahhh ok. I just assumed they would get there again. Not sure how good Westlake is.

Not sure how @Helobious can so easily pick our Chaps. North Shore is the same. Big, deep and fast. They could beat most teams on talent alone but they have good coaches and play smart. Last year they took our defense to the woodshed in a way we have not seen in six years. Comparing this WL team to last year, our OLs and DLs are pretty similar, our receivers aren’t as good, our running game is deeper and most importantly, our QB is better. But if it would be a pretty tall task to beat North Shore. We might have an emotional edge since they steamrolled us last year. I’m picking NS but I am the eternal pessimist. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1