NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

At the Metallica show my granddaughter wanted a bag of skittles, a bottle of water, popcorn, and I added a Pepsi. $49 to have it delivered to our seat. The popcorn seems to have been popped during Quincy Carter’s reign, the skittles bag was about double the size of what you get at Halloween.

884112d1e99cc98032ee60c047d64a2a.jpg
Smart move to avoid the hot dog
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

LMAO at using all that capital to draft the scrub Lancef822f96f4dfd60732ab1e6a65d8e644f.jpg

They took a chance and whiffed. It happens. But i'd rather a team admit it and move on than double down on stupidity.

I dislike it when people go back and look at drafts and do the revisionist history. "They could have drafted Penei Sewell." Maybe, but they already had Trent Williams. "Coulda drafted Micah Parsons." Except they already had Bosa. What they needed was a QB. So they took a chance on one. It didn't work out for them. But they haven't doubled down on it and they made sure to have backup plans if it didn't work.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The dude got beat out by the Ghost Whisperer.

Lynch really CTE'd that pick.

Tampa should trade for him.

I get a team using draft capital to get to a position to get a franchise QB for the next decade. Hard to win in this league without one. But to use that on Trey Lance? Baffling. Especially seeing you could get his talent way late in the draft, as proven by what Purdy has done. And seeing they had success with Jimmy G, a guy that also isn't that good. But SF built a great system where they can plug in guys to have success. Like the Rams did with Goff and Stafford. No idea why they thought they needed to use all that investment to get a QB. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

They took a chance and whiffed. It happens. But i'd rather a team admit it and move on than double down on stupidity.

I dislike it when people go back and look at drafts and do the revisionist history. "They could have drafted Penei Sewell." Maybe, but they already had Trent Williams. "Coulda drafted Micah Parsons." Except they already had Bosa. What they needed was a QB. So they took a chance on one. It didn't work out for them. But they haven't doubled down on it and they made sure to have backup plans if it didn't work.

It isn’t revisionist history. Using 3 firsts and a third to move up for Lance was a bad decision at the time. Amazingly, it’s gone even worse than most expected. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

It isn’t revisionist history. Using 3 firsts and a third to move up for Lance was a bad decision at the time. Amazingly, it’s gone even worse than most expected. 

I'll never claim it wasn't a bad pick. But given the context of everything else they have done in building their roster, i think you can forgive one mistake, albeit a pretty big one.

A bad mistake is having a natural third pick and using it on Trey Lance. But trading three ones and a three to then select him is inexcusable. He was not a generational talent like Peyton or Luck, and that price is steep even then. They could have used those picks on four starters or used less to trade for a known quantity veteran QB. As we see with Purdy and others there are so many variables in making an nfl qb that overspending for them is rarely justified.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I dislike it when people go back and look at drafts and do the revisionist history

How many times have you heard that you shouldn’t judge a draft (or a trade) for 2 or 3 years. Well we’re there and it can be judged. And judged harshly. 

Obviously Trey Lance was a colossal bust but picking up a franchise QB in the final pick of the draft in Brock Purdy makes up for it to a certain degree. 

With how poorly the situation has been handled by Lynch/Shanahan, I think at this point Lance's trade value is no higher than a 3rd round pick, if that, 

Rumors that Kyler Murray is going to be put on IR and won't play this season.
Let me guess, he knows they are doing to be one of the worst teams in the league and might go winless. Both him and the franchise are tired of each other so they agreed to put him on the shelf?

The Josh Dobbs trade now makes sense.

Not long ago, the Cardinals looked to have a future. They weren't a bad team and in the playoffs. But ever since getting embarrassed in that wild card game to the Rams, they have fell completely apart
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Let me guess, he knows they are doing to be one of the worst teams in the league and might go winless. Both him and the franchise are tired of each other so they agreed to put him on the shelf?

The Josh Dobbs trade now makes sense.

Not long ago, the Cardinals looked to have a future. They weren't a bad team and in the playoffs. But ever since getting embarrassed in that wild card game to the Rams, they have fell completely apart

Kyler Murray is a shitbag.  This is just the next chapter.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:50 AM, Texzilla58 said:

At the Metallica show my granddaughter wanted a bag of skittles, a bottle of water, popcorn, and I added a Pepsi. $49 to have it delivered to our seat. The popcorn seems to have been popped during Quincy Carter’s reign, the skittles bag was about double the size of what you get at Halloween.

The fact that there are granddaughters at Metallica shows makes me feel incredibly old. I saw them in Odessa in 1983 and there were maybe 10 women total in a crowd of 10K….

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

The fact that there are granddaughters at Metallica shows makes me feel incredibly old. I saw them in Odessa in 1983 and there were maybe 10 women total in a crowd of 10K….

Paying to go to a concert like this, especially in a he 1980s, makes no sense to me. 

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

How in the world do you know if he's a good coach or not? Backup QBs for damn near 2 decades probably have picked up a thing or two. 

Because when you are trying to oversell me on something, it's typically a lemon. Just a gut feeling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of 3 Gen families were there. So many folks in their 20’s there as fans, not kids seeing the stones as a novelty or Willie before he dies. Hetfield just turned 60. It’s amazing they have lasted this long
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, 6th Street said:

Obviously Trey Lance was a colossal bust but picking up a franchise QB in the final pick of the draft in Brock Purdy makes up for it to a certain degree. 

15 hours ago, 6th Street said:

John Lynch would be fired had he not found Brock Purdy at the end of the 7th round last year

You need to slow your roll re: Brock Purdy

Edited by TonyTexas

You need to slow your roll re: Brock Purdy
Yep. They said the same about Jimmy G. Purdy benefits from the talent around him. Great defense and running game. Really good OL. They will turn on Purdy once he fails when he needs to make plays to win. Jimmy G won an NFC title game throwing the ball 8 times. But when he needed to make plays against KC and then a few years later against Rams, he failed miserably.

At some point, the core in SF will slowly break up because of the salary cap and Purdy will become more exposed.

He was on a one year contract as he was on a franchise tag. He did a saquan and traded a one year deal slightly higher in value than the franchise tag guarantee.

I think for top RBs this is the future. You play on your rookie deal, and then you’re franchised or on the market for additional one year deals. You are paid on your potential not on a reward for the past. The data don’t lie: Age 27 and 1500 touches are near brick walls for RBs. The decline is steep past them. And, the supply of replacements is huge and never ending for a position that isn’t a hard skill to learn. The smart play for years has been play them on a rookie deal, use em up, reload.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

He was on a one year contract as he was on a franchise tag. He did a saquan and traded a one year deal slightly higher in value than the franchise tag guarantee.

I think for top RBs this is the future. You play on your rookie deal, and then you’re franchised or on the market for additional one year deals. You are paid on your potential not on a reward for the past. The data don’t lie: Age 27 and 1500 touches are near brick walls for RBs. The decline is steep past them. And, the supply of replacements is huge and never ending for a position that isn’t a hard skill to learn. The smart play for years has been play them on a rookie deal, use em up, reload.

This sounds about right unless the next CBA shortens the rookie deal length for RB and potentially DTs.  

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This sounds about right unless the next CBA shortens the rookie deal length for RB and potentially DTs.  

Are you sure the RBs would even want that?  There are a lot more jags who would like the longer contracts than superstars that wouldn’t.