NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bijan, because of where he was drafted, is already top 15 in the league without ever playing a down in the league.

Yes. It will suck to watch a player of that caliber get fucked around on franchise tags.

I would have no problem making rookie RB contracts 1-2 year deals, and limiting the franchise tag for those players to only one time. I wanna see what would happen if prime Bijan hits the true open market.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting interview... Says the modern day rule changes that protect QBs has helped devalue RBs...

Marshall Faulk Bashes the “Egregious” Disrespect Being Shown to NFL RBs | The Rich Eisen Show

I wonder what Faulk thinks is the solution to get RBs like Saquon more money??

Crazy that Emmitt played in the NFL for 15yrs

• Like 1

That has to last them the rest of their life. That isn't a lifetime deal. This isn't a Bobby Bonilla situation.

Do you understand what type of money and training goes into making a body ready for the rigors of the NFL? The medical expenses incurred due to the damage your body takes? Unlike the money, that damage is for life. 1.5 mil is chump change.

Well, they do kinda get first dibs on coaching and broadcasting opportunities. Even if not, their earning potential doesn’t just end.

I am a bit curious on monies spent on training. I would think much of that is paid on their behalf but maybe they all have personal trainers.

19 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Saquon is going to make about 50% less than market. The tag almost always will provide a worse opportunity, teams wouldn't use it otherwise.

He was going to get a multi year deal at $20M+ on the open market? The Giants considered not even giving him the 5th year of his rookie deal because of injuries. The highest paid RB makes $16.5 (McCaffery). The current franchise tag would make Barkley the 6th highest paid RB for 2023. The $14/yr extension that he rejected from the Giants would’ve made him #3 in annual dollars. This is the guy who has had injuries and last year ran for 1300 yards and 8 TDs?

What happened to “don’t hate the player, hate the game”? RBs aren’t as valuable today as generations past and carry a higher injury risk for a team that would be offering guaranteed money. The players, through the NFLPA, approve every labor deal and the franchise tag has been part of that. It’s business…the owners would probably be willing to abolish franchise tags but the players would have to give up something too. I’m not shedding any tears for Barkley that he would only make $10+m for a year (or prorated down if he only want to play the minimum qualifying number of games) before hitting free agency. Carry on, white knights of NFL RBs. 

Well he bought for $800M and sold for $6B so he’s probably not too worried about his demise.
That's true but when you have that type of money and were an owner for a few decades plus, you'd rather own an NFL team than not. Same as Jerry Jones. He could get maybe 10 billion plus but he will never sell because owning Dallas is who he is.

And Snyder was driven out, which hurts his ego. He'd much rather still own the team than to cash out on his profit he'll never be able to spend.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thats just arrogant. We know what playing football in the NFL does to a person's body. People aren't going to be willing to do that unless they feel fairly compensated for it. Period. And if they went to college and have any sort of opportunity then i seriously doubt burger flipping is their best option. I just don't wanna hear yall lamenting how bad that position sucks in 10 years when good players inevitably don't play it anymore.

Your take is just dumb. Do you realize that linemen take a far worse pounding than running backs. It’s also a position that is not learned in college ball.; the complexity of pass blocking, run block schemes, blitz packages, the speed and weight of defensive players means linemen are drafted as developmental projects. Same for QBs. Edge rushers. Cornerbacks.

It’s the market. For every truly great RB like Jim Brown, Emmitt, Walter Payton there are hundreds out there that are almost as good. College RBs come into the league not really having to step up their game. If they could read blocks in college they can do it in the nfl. Physical attributes are important, mainly having eyes near the side of your head and great peripheral vision. The NFLPA will not do anything to “help”RBs as it will hurt players at other positions.

As long as high school and college RBs are the stars on campus there will always be plenty of kids out there pretending to be Walter Payton or Tony pollard. This whole thing is media driven bullshit because it’s Saquan. Has nothing to do with the Malik Davis or Ronald Jones of the world that are playing for minimum. They kill for a $10m deal.

The one change they should make is allow players 19 and older to sign in the league. There’s probably3- 4 kids a year that might make a practice squad. With nil that rule needs to change.

I'm actually not saying that you should give RBs a huge second contract. Just that they need to be paid fairly during their prime years, where they are producing and helping a team win. Not locked up on cheap rookie deals.

I don’t see anyone whining except Saquon and Josh who both have first round guaranteed contracts they played on; there’s no picket lines out there for them.

Were I a GM I would not have franchised Pollard, saquan, or Jacobs. I would have let them go and had their replacements in place. RBs should be like shark teeth. Lose one and another fills the gap. I have no issue drafting an rb high even I. The first round like a Bijan. There won’t be a second contract though. I’m putting my money into OL, edge, corners, wrs. RBs, kickers, punters are dime a dozen.

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Thats just arrogant. We know what playing football in the NFL does to a person's body. People aren't going to be willing to do that unless they feel fairly compensated for it. Period. And if they went to college and have any sort of opportunity then i seriously doubt burger flipping is their best option. I just don't wanna hear yall lamenting how bad that position sucks in 10 years when good players inevitably don't play it anymore.

When are the giving up football in your scenario, because If they don't play football at a high level, a lot of them aren't going to have a college education?  

There

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

When are the giving up football in your scenario, because If they don't play football at a high level, a lot of them aren't going to have a college education?  

Dont be foolish. there are countless kinesiology and criminal justice majors making  6 and 7 figures right out of college. Almost all of them are doing the NFL a favor by playing at a discount to what they would be making in the real world populated by people who dont tackle people for a living. 

49 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The one change they should make is allow players 19 and older to sign in the league. There’s probably3- 4 kids a year that might make a practice squad. With nil that rule needs to change.

I always wanted that ruled nixed, but with NIL there is no point in changing now.  Future NFL players will make more in college than on NFL practice squads or any development league the NFL would start.   

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I always wanted that ruled nixed, but with NIL there is no point in changing now.  Future NFL players will make more in college than on NFL practice squads or any development league the NFL would start.   

Practice squad players make $207k/season with less than 2 years experience and going up to $358k as seasons accrue. Do a lot of college players make that much through NIL?

13 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Practice squad players make $207k/season with less than 2 years experience and going up to $358k as seasons accrue. Do a lot of college players make that much through NIL?

No, but we aren't talking about a lot of college football players because a lot aren't sniffing a practice squad rosters either.  The few that NFL would be willing to take over college developed players, would be really elite guys.  But the 3 year rule is there to protect the NFL from themselves, so maybe they go crazy and start drafting high schoolers.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Your take is just dumb. Do you realize that linemen take a far worse pounding than running backs. It’s also a position that is not learned in college ball.; the complexity of pass blocking, run block schemes, blitz packages, the speed and weight of defensive players means linemen are drafted as developmental projects. Same for QBs. Edge rushers. Cornerbacks.

It’s the market. For every truly great RB like Jim Brown, Emmitt, Walter Payton there are hundreds out there that are almost as good. College RBs come into the league not really having to step up their game. If they could read blocks in college they can do it in the nfl. Physical attributes are important, mainly having eyes near the side of your head and great peripheral vision. The NFLPA will not do anything to “help”RBs as it will hurt players at other positions.

As long as high school and college RBs are the stars on campus there will always be plenty of kids out there pretending to be Walter Payton or Tony pollard. This whole thing is media driven bullshit because it’s Saquan. Has nothing to do with the Malik Davis or Ronald Jones of the world that are playing for minimum. They kill for a $10m deal.

Like i said, dont come crying when the quality of play declines. NFL owners are under the assumption that the money machine will just keep printing money no matter what they do. And in my opinion, screwing over people that play RB to save a few bucks is the definition of stepping over a dollar to make a dime. Fans want to see high level play at that position. I wanna see guys like Bijan continue to play that position. We are headed to a place where those types of guys are gonna nope out of it because it simply isn't worth it.

Any time you find yourself siding with the oligarchs you should probably reconsider things.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.337981d7bfb5f261656dcb795ae4ed06.jpg

Exhibit #34990897 why the Vikings can't have nice things. 140 fucking MPH? Dude's set to lineup across from the best WR in the NFL and guaranteed to get single coverage all season long. Dude could've easily pulled a Ruggs before ever playing in an NFL game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

In a salary cap league, Surplus value positions that teams will spend on are:  QBs, Receivers, Pass Rushers, & CBs

Says you can blame Mike Shanahan and the analytics community 😋

Analyzing change in running back position value (FULL PFT PM ) | Pro Football Talk | NFL on NBC

May also see WRs start to take a hit financially as the number of quality CFB WRs increases in years to come...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Like i said, dont come crying when the quality of play declines. NFL owners are under the assumption that the money machine will just keep printing money no matter what they do. And in my opinion, screwing over people that play RB to save a few bucks is the definition of stepping over a dollar to make a dime. Fans want to see high level play at that position. I wanna see guys like Bijan continue to play that position. We are headed to a place where those types of guys are gonna nope out of it because it simply isn't worth it.

Any time you find yourself siding with the oligarchs you should probably reconsider things.

Its not a matter of "siding with oligarchs." The NFL salary cap imposes a limit on how much each team can spend on payroll. In today's pass heavy game, teams are finding that money is better spent elsewhere.  KC just won a superbowl by paying Mahomes, Kelce and receivers and relying on a rookie running back in Pacheco who led the team with 830 yds rushing. When KC won the superbowl in the 2019 season, their leading rusher had like 500 yards. You can bitch all you want, but the results are pretty clear that the teams simply don't need to shell out $15M for a RB to win. They will be more successful by allocating their salary cap to other positions. If the overall style of play changes, perhaps RBs will make a salary comeback. 

And btw, I'm not arguing that RBs today aren't getting fucked compared to how they were paid 20 years ago.I just dont care. I cant muster a single fuck for guys "only" making 7 figures playing football. You contend that RB's will all stop taking those 7 figure checks and join the world of the working stiffs. I argue 99 out of 100 would play for $300K because thats about $200K more than most of those guys will make outside of football. They aren't gonna "nope out" and my proof is all the guys begging to play in the USFL, XFL, AFL and semi pro football for peanuts. They get hit just as hard. We're not talking nuclear engineers killing some free time on the weekend here. These are largely dumb jocks who geared their entire life towards playing football. Its what they want to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Its not a matter of "siding with oligarchs." The NFL salary cap imposes a limit on how much each team can spend on payroll. In today's pass heavy game, teams are finding that money is better spent elsewhere.  KC just won a superbowl by paying Mahomes, Kelce and receivers and relying on a rookie running back in Pacheco who led the team with 830 yds rushing. When KC won the superbowl in the 2019 season, their leading rusher had like 500 yards. You can bitch all you want, but the results are pretty clear that the teams simply don't need to shell out $15M for a RB to win. They will be more successful by allocating their salary cap to other positions. If the overall style of play changes, perhaps RBs will make a salary comeback. 

And btw, I'm not arguing that RBs today aren't getting fucked compared to how they were paid 20 years ago.I just dont care. I cant muster a single fuck for guys "only" making 7 figures playing football. You contend that RB's will all stop taking those 7 figure checks and join the world of the working stiffs. I argue 99 out of 100 would play for $300K because thats about $200K more than most of those guys will make outside of football. They aren't gonna "nope out" and my proof is all the guys begging to play in the USFL, XFL, AFL and semi pro football for peanuts. They get hit just as hard. We're not talking nuclear engineers killing some free time on the weekend here. These are largely dumb jocks who geared their entire life towards playing football. Its what they want to do. 

But they have Mahomes, which offsets so much else. And how many teams have a guy under center of his caliber? Teams with guys like Cousins, Daniel Jones and the likes are greatly helped out by a good run game. When on the field, Barkley makes the Giants offense much better than when Danie Jones does it with all his backups.

People like to bring up Mahomes and Brady and how they won with no name running backs. But those guys are unlike most other QBs. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

But they have Mahomes, which offsets so much else. And how many teams have a guy under center of his caliber? Teams with guys like Cousins, Daniel Jones and the likes are greatly helped out by a good run game. When on the field, Barkley makes the Giants offense much better than when Danie Jones does it with all his backups.

People like to bring up Mahomes and Brady and how they won with no name running backs. But those guys are unlike most other QBs. 

That's kind of the point. When I was growing up, NFL QBs generally threw for like 2-3000 yds per seasons, and the running back was much more important. Now teams are throwing the ball on 3rd and 2. If your QB is shit, it doesn't matter who the RBs on your team are. Which is exactly why QBs get paid, and teams are increasingly spending money on the line and receivers. 

Here's the last 10 SB winning QBs

Russell Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Nick Foles
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Tom Brady
Matthew Stafford
Patrick Mahomes

Who were the stud RBs on these teams? BeastMode in Seattle is the only one that comes to mind without looking up every roster. The worst QB on that list is Nick Foles and if you look at the RBs on that team, it aint exactly HOF material

image.thumb.png.a39bd807196d59abffbf68996af2629f.png

Without a great QB, a great running back no longer gets you to the Super Bowl. But plenty of great QB's can get to AND win the SB without great RB's. Hell Wentz/Foles managed the trick without great RBs. Which explains what's happening with RB pay. Derrick Henry is fun to watch. Just not in the SuperBowl. 

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Analyzing change in running back position value (FULL PFT PM ) | Pro Football Talk | NFL on NBC

May also see WRs start to take a hit financially as the number of quality CFB WRs increases in years to come...

Florio also said that more future great skill athletes will stop playing RB.  They will want to be WRs, QBs or CBs...  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Pam Cummings seems to have her panties in a twist because she thinks Bijan will get hosed. Owners aren’t “saving a few bucks” by paying RBs less. They spend the same amount of money, just allocating more to positions where elite talent has more impact on the aggregate. Unicorn running backs will still get a second contract, see: Derrick Henry, McCaffrey, Kamara. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Your take on this is from fucking Zambodia. The quality of play at RB is what it is. It requires less skill and development than any, including kickers and punters. But it’s the glamour position and the market is flooded and that won’t change.

It wasn’t that long ago that the greats who built the game had to work in the off-season to make ends meet. Jim Brown made movies, Bart Starr sold insurance, Roger got into real estate. You’re talking like these guys are paid peanuts and they aren’t. As for making like the owners are keeping these players on the plantation, some of these newer players will earn a billion $ in their career. Future man probably enjoys the fact Dak Prescott will likely earn $500-700million if he plays to 40. A lot of players make generational wealth that changes the prospects of families. The league has transferred more wealth to black men than any organization in the nation. I don’t feel sorry for those with the least skills still earning great money as RBs. On average they still make more than kickers and punters.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

That's kind of the point. When I was growing up, NFL QBs generally threw for like 2-3000 yds per seasons, and the running back was much more important. Now teams are throwing the ball on 3rd and 2. If your QB is shit, it doesn't matter who the RBs on your team are. Which is exactly why QBs get paid, and teams are increasingly spending money on the line and receivers. 

Here's the last 10 SB winning QBs

Russell Wilson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Nick Foles
Tom Brady
Patrick Mahomes
Tom Brady
Matthew Stafford
Patrick Mahomes

Who were the stud RBs on these teams? BeastMode in Seattle is the only one that comes to mind without looking up every roster. The worst QB on that list is Nick Foles and if you look at the RBs on that team, it aint exactly HOF material

image.thumb.png.a39bd807196d59abffbf68996af2629f.png

Without a great QB, a great running back no longer gets you to the Super Bowl. But plenty of great QB's can get to AND win the SB without great RB's. Hell Wentz/Foles managed the trick without great RBs. Which explains what's happening with RB pay. Derrick Henry is fun to watch. Just not in the SuperBowl. 

But Derrick Henry is the reason Titans are even relevant in the last years. They got to the AFC Championship with him as their focal point and Tannhehill under center. And he's below average and are trying to find his replacement right now.

Seahawks leaned a lot on Lynch in their 2 year run when Wilson was hidden behind that run game and defense.

And that is the point. Unless you have a great QB, it's hard to win in this league. But middle of the road teams with middle of the road teams can benefit from a really good RB and it can prop them up. By sustaining a good run game, it can mask the QB's deficient play.

Dak's most efficient season came when Zeke and him were rookies and they had arguably the best OL in the league. Their offense was a 90s style throwback that leaned on the run game/OL. Will it get you to the Super Bowl? Not likely but it did set them up to try. They were the #1 seed that year. You can't go for the blueprint of Brady and Mahomes teams when you have Daniel Jones at QB. So having Barkley helps the Giants a ton.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:59 AM, Had Enough said:

Well, they do kinda get first dibs on coaching and broadcasting opportunities. Even if not, their earning potential doesn’t just end.

I am a bit curious on monies spent on training. I would think much of that is paid on their behalf but maybe they all have personal trainers.

They absolutely do…

On 7/20/2023 at 3:01 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

What’s the point in getting rid of that rule in the NFL’s current structure? How many 19 year olds would get better development on a practice squad than playing every down at a top D-1 program?

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

What’s the point in getting rid of that rule in the NFL’s current structure? How many 19 year olds would get better development on a practice squad than playing every down at a top D-1 program?

Current structure?  None, but the current structure is the NFL has the best development league program in all of sports and it's 100% free to them.  Of course, it makes no sense for them to change.  I only disliked the rule from that aspect and from a time when college players couldn't get paid.  If everyone post HS was draft eligible, teams would for sure take flyers on drafting/signing elite HS players and underclassmen, but they would have to spend money on a developmental program because the current practice squads don't really develop players, college does.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

But Derrick Henry is the reason Titans are even relevant in the last years. They got to the AFC Championship with him as their focal point and Tannhehill under center. And he's below average and are trying to find his replacement right now.

Seahawks leaned a lot on Lynch in their 2 year run when Wilson was hidden behind that run game and defense.

And that is the point. Unless you have a great QB, it's hard to win in this league. But middle of the road teams with middle of the road teams can benefit from a really good RB and it can prop them up. By sustaining a good run game, it can mask the QB's deficient play.

Dak's most efficient season came when Zeke and him were rookies and they had arguably the best OL in the league. Their offense was a 90s style throwback that leaned on the run game/OL. Will it get you to the Super Bowl? Not likely but it did set them up to try. They were the #1 seed that year. You can't go for the blueprint of Brady and Mahomes teams when you have Daniel Jones at QB. So having Barkley helps the Giants a ton.

RBs are absolutely worth significant money when they are productive to the likes of Henry/Lynch/Zeke.  It's just their production goes away faster than any other position.  No one wants to take a gamble on a second contract, and no one wants devote draft capital for a 4 year prime.  Other skill positions have a longer shelf life, so they get the premium draft capital and the 2nd contracts.

• Hook 'Em 1

Current structure?  None, but the current structure is the NFL has the best development league program in all of sports and it's 100% free to them.  Of course, it makes no sense for them to change.  I only disliked the rule from that aspect and from a time when college players couldn't get paid.  If everyone post HS was draft eligible, teams would for sure take flyers on drafting/signing elite HS players and underclassmen, but they would have to spend money on a developmental program because the current practice squads don't really develop players, college does.

Like I said I doubt the nfl is interested in any players that aren’t juniors with the exception of a couple of players a year, and those would either be a crazy off the chart RB talent like Marcus DuPree or a savant kicker. Any other high school senior would die in training camp. The other positions require size and skills.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:56 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Yes. It will suck to watch a player of that caliber get fucked around on franchise tags.

I would have no problem making rookie RB contracts 1-2 year deals, and limiting the franchise tag for those players to only one time. I wanna see what would happen if prime Bijan hits the true open market.

NFL owners:

320px-President_Ronald_Reagan_sharing_a_laugh.jpg

On 7/20/2023 at 9:40 PM, LTtxfan said:

In a salary cap league, Surplus value positions that teams will spend on are:  QBs, Receivers, Pass Rushers, & CBs

Says you can blame Mike Shanahan and the analytics community 😋

Rookie deals are only good for their rookie year. Problem solved. The market corrects itself and if these guys don't think their salary is fair they can do what every other player does and negotiate charge teams whatever.

Just because there's lots of good young backs and the position has lost some value with rule changes doesn't mean it's unfair they aren't getting QB money. It's what they are worth to the teams.

The unfair part is rookie deals lasting 5 years and then franchise tags ect... The rubbing back position seems to have less total years so they get robbed by having to play on the rookie deals sometimes the majority of their career.

Stop it by elimination of rookie contacts beyond 1 year. Problem solved.

On 7/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, LTtxfan said:

Florio also said that more future great skill athletes will stop playing RB.  They will want to be WRs, QBs or CBs...  

Market correction

Then workforce corrects

It's a never ending cycle

Just limit rookie deals a bit more and it's as fair as it's going to get

Rookie deals are only good for their rookie year. Problem solved. The market corrects itself and if these guys don't think their salary is fair they can do what every other player does and negotiate charge teams whatever.
Just because there's lots of good young backs and the position has lost some value with rule changes doesn't mean it's unfair they aren't getting QB money. It's what they are worth to the teams.
The unfair part is rookie deals lasting 5 years and then franchise tags ect... The rubbing back position seems to have less total years so they get robbed by having to play on the rookie deals sometimes the majority of their career.

Rookie deals are four years except first rounders. 1st round contracts are guaranteed. Franchise tags are overblown as only 6 - 8 are used each year and about half result in a longterm deal before the rad line. Most rookies are UDFAs.

I am more interested in players having more opportunities, player safety, and post career support and health care. The union ignores much of this. I also want more journeymen players able to get subsequent contracts and have longer careers. Contracts for first three rounds are fine. Cut 4-7 to three weeks years. Eliminate tiered veteran contracts and have a single vet minimum. A lot of vets would rather play for $750k vs getting cut because their min is $1m.

5 hours ago, Zeus said:

The players negotiated for rookie deals. They wanted longevity for their workers over mega contracts for rookies. It was their choice. 

All of this RB money talk is a little bit nonsense. No one is crying for LBs with 125 tackles a year. 

RBs have simply become the LB of the offense. 

Easily replaceable 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The players negotiated for rookie deals. They wanted longevity for their workers over mega contracts for rookies. It was their choice.   All of this RB money talk is a little bit nonsense. No one is crying for LBs with 125 tackles a year. 

RBs have simply become the LB of the offense.   Easily replaceable 

Just seems like 1st Rd rookie deals may need to be shorter... maybe only 3yrs instead of 4yrs (w/5th yr option) and remove the extra year option for teams.  Starts the salary cap clock 2yrs earlier...

But also allow rookie contracts to go longer than 3yrs if the player wants it for security...

Better players will get rewarded, and more players will probably switch teams more often which makes the off-season more interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just seems like 1st Rd rookie deals may need to be shorter... maybe only 3yrs instead of 4yrs (w/5th yr option) and remove the extra year option for teams.  Starts the salary cap clock 2yrs earlier...

But also allow rookie contracts to go longer than 3yrs if the player wants it for security...

Better players will get rewarded, and more players will probably switch teams more often which makes the off-season more interesting.

I meant starts the Franchise tag 2yrs earlier

Edited by LTtxfan

On 7/21/2023 at 9:52 AM, LTtxfan said:

or soccer...We've heard that for 11 billion years too.

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would Bijan’s fifth year option potentially look like? Looks like he’s slated to make just under $22 million in first 4 seasons. 

2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement allows for teams to exercise a fifth year option for players drafted in the first round as an addition to the standard four year rookie contract. Article 7, Section 7(g) provides for four different tiers of salary for the fifth year option, calculated as follows:

Basic: Players who do not meet any of the requirements below will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons.

Playtime: These players will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 20th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons, provided that their snap counts over their first three seasons meet one of the following three criteria:

75% or greater in two of their first three seasons

an average of 75% or greater over all three seasons

50% or greater over all three seasons

One Pro Bowl: Players who are named to exactly one Pro Bowl on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the transition tender at their position.

Multiple Pro Bowls: Players who are named to two or three Pro Bowls on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the franchise tender at their position.

Upon being exercised, the fifth year option is fully guaranteed, and any base salary in the player's fourth year that was not fully guaranteed will become so.

Article 10, Section 7(a) groups all offensive linemen together, and uses antiquated designations for interior defensive linemen and edge rushers. IDL are separated to defensive tackle and defensive end, even if the player is an edge rusher in a 4-3 defense, while edge rushers in a 3-4 defense are considered linebackers. In these cases, this designation is shown in parentheses.

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement allows for teams to exercise a fifth year option for players drafted in the first round as an addition to the standard four year rookie contract. Article 7, Section 7(g) provides for four different tiers of salary for the fifth year option, calculated as follows:

Basic: Players who do not meet any of the requirements below will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons.

Playtime: These players will be eligible for a fifth year base salary calculated from the average of the 3rd to 20th highest salaries at their position over the past five seasons, provided that their snap counts over their first three seasons meet one of the following three criteria:

75% or greater in two of their first three seasons

an average of 75% or greater over all three seasons

50% or greater over all three seasons

One Pro Bowl: Players who are named to exactly one Pro Bowl on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the transition tender at their position.

Multiple Pro Bowls: Players who are named to two or three Pro Bowls on the original ballot (not as an alternate) will be eligible for a fifth year base salary equal to the franchise tender at their position.

Upon being exercised, the fifth year option is fully guaranteed, and any base salary in the player's fourth year that was not fully guaranteed will become so.

Article 10, Section 7(a) groups all offensive linemen together, and uses antiquated designations for interior defensive linemen and edge rushers. IDL are separated to defensive tackle and defensive end, even if the player is an edge rusher in a 4-3 defense, while edge rushers in a 3-4 defense are considered linebackers. In these cases, this designation is shown in parentheses.

So… basically if Bijan gets his 5th year picked up is he eligible to franchised in his 6th year? If so, that would get him into the $40 million range of career earnings. 

I hope he transcends the current RB contract models, but we’ll see. Zeke’s deal is having a chilling effect on much better running backs. 

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope Bijan transcends the current RB contract models, but we’ll see. Zeke’s deal is having a chilling effect on much better running backs. 

Yeah, Zeke's stupid contract may go down as one of the worst ever... 

Nice job jerrah 🙄

Bijan signed a 4 year fully guaranteed contract for $21.9m. It came with a $13.0 mill signing bonus. His fifth year option will have significant value based on performance and achievement. They could sign him to an extension after the third year. He’s only 21, but I expect his coach to run the shit out of him. But he might get franchised. Ask Tony Dorsett if he wishes he’d made $40 mil.