NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Rodgers dealt to jets in a bizarre deal. Really wasn’t for much, in fact the jets basically swapped firsts this year

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

2.png
1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

adchoices.png
2.png

Reading is hard. 

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Jets overpaid. They were bidding against themselves and Green Bay needed to move him or face a mega cap hit. 

Not really true. The cap hit got split over two seasons after June 1, so it would’ve been more manageable for them if they waited. Plus the Jets are selling building a contender with a GM who’s been pretty terrible outside of last year’s draft while the Packers are rebuilding. The leverage was definitely in favor of the Packers once all the other viable QB options went off the market. 

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not really true. The cap hit got split over two seasons after June 1, so it would’ve been more manageable for them if they waited. Plus the Jets are selling building a contender with a GM who’s been pretty terrible outside of last year’s draft while the Packers are rebuilding. The leverage was definitely in favor of the Packers once all the other viable QB options went off the market. 

Even split over two years, $50M is a lot of cheese to be dead on the cap. They could’ve given him away for a 7th round pick just for the cap space. Who else were they going to trade him to?

On 4/20/2023 at 11:35 PM, Party_Taco said:

Ravens home games were a party and, though being in the heart of a booze-centric town certainly plays a role, the tailgating is also prolific. Stumble South after the game and you run right into the Horseshoe and TopGolf, go East and you hit the college bars in Federal Hill, North you’ll hit strip clubs and the hotels… go West and you could end up dead, but 3/4 of your options lead to additional drinking opportunities within 1/4 mile.

The Block … late night carousing following Bullets games at the Civic Center.  Wes Unseld, Gus Johnson, and the unstoppable Pearl.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Packers basically settled for a 2 and likely another 2. Cheap date. Most thought they’d get the 1 straight up. Jets held out, Packers blinked.

Why do you think it's likely that Rodgers plays fewer than 65% or snaps this season?

Rodgers to facilitate this deal had to sign a revised contract today with Packers in order to have enough time for everything to get done including his physical prior to the 2023 NFL Draft Thursday. 

Details below in YouTube video...

Edited by LTtxfan

On 4/23/2023 at 9:29 AM, tbone_ said:

Why would tenn trade him?

This is the same guys that built a team around Ryan Tannehill right? 

They got rid of their best WR so why wouldn't they get rid of their RB to solve their offensive problems? Can't be the QB right????!!

15418565.jpeg

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Favre and Rodgers both dealt to Jets when they were 39, I guess Rodgers instas his dick to a reporter and then goes to Minnesota the year after? Jordan Love will be a jet in 2039

Lulz Jordan Love is worse than Trey Lance. The fudge Packers are going to feel QB hell for a century before they figure out how lucky they were.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Capology is crazy...

Packers gonna need some creativity...

So, are the Packers in salary cap trouble?

They’ve got some issues

With the addition of the ’23 draft picks they got from the Jets in the trade, they will need around $9 million in cap space to add the rookies and undrafted free agents acquired this weekend.

They will have to find some more space before the season starts because they may want to sign a free agent and there will be other costs. They have maxed out most of the restructure possibilities that could gain them more cap space, so they’ll have to get creative to create room.

The good news for them is that Rodgers will be off the books next season. Successor Jordan Love will be scheduled to count around $20 million against the cap in ’24, but the Packers can reduce that significantly if they sign him to a contract extension.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2023/04/24/heres-the-green-bay-packers-salary-cap-situation-after-trading-aaron-rodgers/70148115007/

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Even split over two years, $50M is a lot of cheese to be dead on the cap. They could’ve given him away for a 7th round pick just for the cap space. Who else were they going to trade him to?

He was going to have a huge cap hit regardless of whether he was traded or when he was traded, so there was no outcome where they “give him away” for cap space. My point is they could’ve kept him in the roster, let Love play and it really wouldn’t hav smattered. The Jets have all the pressure on them, which gives the Packers leverage to hold out for a good trade package, which they did. 

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Packers basically settled for a 2 and likely another 2. Cheap date. Most thought they’d get the 1 straight up. Jets held out, Packers blinked.

He’s a 39 year old QB on a big contract who’s extremely likely to retire after this year, and the Packers got the equivalent of the #7 overall pick in value out of the Jets. 

Getting a 2nd, a likely first, and the pick swap is very good value. The jets were the ones saying they wouldn’t give up a first. They blinked, not the Packers. 

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

They have a lot of aging veterans and they’re rebuilding, so I don’t think they’ll have too much trouble getting under the cap. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Packers got equivalent of the #7 overall pick in value out of Jets. Getting a 2nd, a likely first, and the pick swap is very good value. The jets were the ones saying they wouldn’t give up a first. They blinked, not the Packers. 

Interesting... Curious how your calculations result in the #7 overall pick ??

(Obviously if the jets make the playoffs and win a game or two, the calculations adjust to a lower pick, between #12 and #15 maybe?)

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting... Curious how your calculations result in the #7 overall pick ??

(Obviously if the jets make the playoffs and win a game or two, the calculations adjust to a lower pick, between #12 and #15 maybe?)

Not my calculations, guys who cover the sport. There’s a million different trade value charts out there and the conditional pick makes it difficult to value exactly, but most have concluded the total package is worth a top 10 pick, including Bill Barnwell’s article below. 

And if the Jets make the playoffs it means Rodgers played 65%+ and the Packers get a first, so them doing well doesn’t really hurt Green Bay. Obviously the ideal outcome for the Packers would be Rodgers playing and the Jets only winning 8 or 9 games so the Packers get a mid-first. 

4D2E5566-51BB-426C-941F-CE55C9148E73.jpeg

6A76CD69-C0A1-44E3-A739-263C74BC20B2.jpeg

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Why do you think it's likely that Rodgers plays fewer than 65% or snaps this season?

I’ll skate backwards. When the deal was reported it was basically a net 2 in 23 and a 2 in 24 if he played 65%. It’s now got an escalator to a 1 at 65% and an automatic 2 whether He plays in 24 or not. Based on that it’s a bad deal for Jets, but how it benefits GB depends on the cap hot allocation between the two.

Just now, Texzilla58 said:

I’ll skate backwards. When the deal was reported it was basically a net 2 in 23 and a 2 in 24 if he played 65%. It’s now got an escalator to a 1 at 65% and an automatic 2 whether He plays in 24 or not. Based on that it’s a bad deal for Jets, but how it benefits GB depends on the cap hot allocation between the two.

There’s no such thing as cap hit allocation, it’s determined automatically based on signing bonus/guaranteed money. He would’ve counted for $31.6mm against the cap if he played for the Packers. His dead cap hit is now $40.3mm, but then he’s off the books for good. 

You were right on the contract structure, Burt. The remaining $105M comes mostly as two option/roster bonuses that could be avoided if they cut Rodgers, then they would eat the same amount of dead cap space from the $40M signing bonus as they are now. I still say NYJ were bidding against themselves though. Rodgers didn’t want to play anywhere else so nobody would have got into a bidding war with the Jets. GB wouldn’t have activated a $59M option bonus in August and kept Rodgers on their 2023 roster. NYJ paid a 2nd and a 1st to get him now instead of waiting for him to be cut. 

Would NYJ play games with playing time by pulling Rodgers if they get up or down by 3 TDs, and play the backup in week 18, to try to stay below 65% of snaps threshold and keep next year’s pick a 2nd rounder?

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You were right on the contract structure, Burt. The remaining $105M comes mostly as two option/roster bonuses that could be avoided if they cut Rodgers, then they would eat the same amount of dead cap space from the $40M signing bonus as they are now. I still say NYJ were bidding against themselves though. Rodgers didn’t want to play anywhere else so nobody would have got into a bidding war with the Jets. GB wouldn’t have activated a $59M option bonus in August and kept Rodgers on their 2023 roster. NYJ paid a 2nd and a 1st to get him now instead of waiting for him to be cut. 

Would NYJ play games with playing time by pulling Rodgers if they get up or down by 3 TDs, and play the backup in week 18, to try to stay below 65% of snaps threshold and keep next year’s pick a 2nd rounder?

Just designate him as two way player, QB and back up nose tackle or safety. 65% of snaps would be unlikely in that case. 

There’s no such thing as cap hit allocation, it’s determined automatically based on signing bonus/guaranteed money. He would’ve counted for $31.6mm against the cap if he played for the Packers. His dead cap hit is now $40.3mm, but then he’s off the books for good. 

I didn’t know if the cap/salary hit was negotiated between Pack and jets.

I don’t think the jets would do that. I think the escalator is more to protect them from injury. I think their bigger concern should be what if he retires after 23. I expected some form of protection for that just in case he decides to open a microdosing boutique in Boulder after the season.

6 hours ago, The Dog said:

Jason Fitzgerald's full analysis:

https://overthecap.com/jets-and-packers-agree-on-trade-for-aaron-rodgers

Jets got fleeced in order to go all-in on making a run this year. If this doesn't work out expect them to clean house and start over. It's the Jets so I'd expect the latter to occur. 

The Jets get Rodgers instead of Zack Wilson and Mike White. Hell, they also got Tim Boyle who will probably be the #2 ahead of those two anyway. 

Blowing it up and rebuilding was always the move once Wilson flopped, now they delay that for a year and go for it while they have a decent team. At least this puts them even with the fins probably behind the Bills. 

and it will be fun either way

KENJVMQYJEI6TOHGKZYZBQX5BA.jpg

Edited by Zeus
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

So Brandin Cooks has a negotiated split of his salary with the Cowboys and Texans. Does the cap hit follow?

That’s not even close to accurate. He didn’t negotiate a split between the Texans and Cowboys. He was traded from the Texans and the guaranteed money on his deal was automatically assigned to the Texans cap, just like every other trade, leaving the rest to be paid by the Cowboys, but then he and the Cowboys agreed to restructure the part of the deal the Cowboys had to pay, so it has nothing to do with being able to negotiate which team pays what part of his salary or who gets what cap hit. 

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

And all of what 2 Super Bowl wins with 31 years of HOF qb play?

I think people let what Brady did with the Pats and their 6 Super Bowls skew their evaluation. In the last 31 years, how many teams have won more than 2 Super Bowls? I can only think of a few. Denver, New England and then Dallas. Even having damn good QBs doesn't guarantee anything. They at least got a ring from both their tenures. Could it have been more? Sure, I guess. Green Bay were huge favorites against Denver in 1997. Rodgers record in the NFC championship game was very poor so that's more appearances that could have been had. Rodgers while he will be a HOF, was more of a regular season QB who couldn't get up for the big games except if it was against Dallas. He was 0-4 against SF. Kaepernick and Jimmy G both getting 2 wins apiece. Also lost to dorky Eli Manning as a 15-1 team.

• Like 2

While a lot of folks here hate on the Cowboys for their playoff ineptitude in the last 20+ years, the misery of fans of many other teams is far worse. They don’t have 5 rings.

The Lions haven’t come close since Bobby Layne. Vikings fan has nothing but Super Bowl losses and incomprehensible collapses in the playoffs. Browns. Nothing since the greatness of Otto Graham. Jets. 1 ring. 64 years ago. Before the merge. Dolphins. Cursed since 74. It’s so fucking hard to win a Super Bowl. Just winning 1 is an exhilarating run for those fans.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

While a lot of folks here hate on the Cowboys for their playoff ineptitude in the last 20+ years, the misery of fans of many other teams is far worse. They don’t have 5 rings.

The Cowboys "Americas Team" jean short and Dak jersey crowd crowing about 5 rings while said rings fade further and further into the pages of history helps take some of the sting of the misery of those other fanbases. Just like the "27 Rings birtch" Yankees fan crowd (heck they are at least 60% one and the same crowd) and said rings are rapidly falling into the rear view mirror. They both give me a pretty good chuckle these days.

While I'm mostly convinced the Texans won't be sniffing a Super Bowl in my lifetime, I'm 100% convinced Jerrah won't be getting another while he is still naturally on this earth....Now head in a jar/cyborg/A.I. Jerrah...he might get one...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The Cowboys "Americas Team" jean short and Dak jersey crowd crowing about 5 rings while said rings fade further and further into the pages of history helps take some of the sting of the misery of those other fanbases. Just like the "27 Rings birtch" Yankees fan crowd (heck they are at least 60% one and the same crowd) and said rings are rapidly falling into the rear view mirror. They both give me a pretty good chuckle these days.
While I'm mostly convinced the Texans won't be sniffing a Super Bowl in my lifetime, I'm 100% convinced Jerrah won't be getting another while he is still naturally on this earth....Now head in a jar/cyborg/A.I. Jerrah...he might get one...
Also depends how old you are. I'm 38 so for Dallas' Super Bowls, i wasn't born for their first 2 and was in grade school for the 3 in 4 years. I think it shows how good they were for the 70s to mid 90s to where almost a 30 year drought, they still are at the top of overall rings.

But after all that, yes, fans of many teams haven't even experienced one single ring in their lifetime. So it could be worse. But at least most of those teams have at least been to a conference championship at least once in that time. In a conference as balanced as the NFL, to not even make it once since 1996 is pretty pathetic. Only Detroit and Washington have a longer drought in the NFC.. Not 2 teams you want to have anything in common with right now.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also depends how old you are. I'm 38 so for Dallas' Super Bowls, i wasn't born for their first 2 and was in grade school for the 3 in 4 years. I think it shows how good they were for the 70s to mid 90s to where almost a 30 year drought, they still are at the top of overall rings.

Yeah, age is a big factor. I can talk shit about the 49ers having 5 rings because I was actually alive and watching football when they won them. Sure, it's been almost 30 years since they won one but dammit, I can remember (for now). 

Yeah, age is a big factor. I can talk shit about the 49ers having 5 rings because I was actually alive and watching football when they won them. Sure, it's been almost 30 years since they won one but dammit, I can remember (for now). 
And you can't win a ring without actually getting to the point to be able to. SF has been to 2 in the last 10 years. And many other NFC championship games. Dallas fans can technically say they have won a ring more recently but SF has been much more relevant since then. And beat them back to back years in the playoffs.

SF went to 3 straight NFC championship games and a Super Bowl to start last decade. Completely bottomed out, got whole new coaching staff and roster and now have been to another Super Bowl and 3 NFC championship games in 4 years. Using 4 different QBs in all those NFC championship games in the last decade plus All while Dallas has been swimming in the pool of mediocrity not doing a damn thing.

I think people let what Brady did with the Pats and their 6 Super Bowls skew their evaluation. In the last 31 years, how many teams have won more than 2 Super Bowls? I can only think of a few. Denver, New England and then Dallas. Even having damn good QBs doesn't guarantee anything. They at least got a ring from both their tenures. Could it have been more? Sure, I guess. Green Bay were huge favorites against Denver in 1997. Rodgers record in the NFC championship game was very poor so that's more appearances that could have been had. Rodgers while he will be a HOF, was more of a regular season QB who couldn't get up for the big games except if it was against Dallas. He was 0-4 against SF. Kaepernick and Jimmy G both getting 2 wins apiece. Also lost to dorky Eli Manning as a 15-1 team.

Valid point. However I think if you gave certain other well run franchises HOF qb play for 31 years some number of them would have more than two super bowls. But it is hard though, so maybe not.