NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

He’s ultimately going to sign the tag, play next year, and then insist on his 100% guarantee next year in an environment when Burrow and Herbert get them just like Trevor Lawrence will when he’s eligible. The Ravens won’t be the first to blink but San Diego might and Cincinnati absolutely will…

I don’t think fully guaranteed contracts are going to be a thing. There is too much risk and the full contract has to be put in escrow on the front end regardless of the structure or payment. The owners are very much opposed and just won’t do it. San Diego is owned by the Spanos family, so notoriously cheap they got run from SD. They were fine playing in that soccer stadium. They live off the TV money and could care less if they win or suck dick. It doesn’t matter; LA could give a shit about the Chargers. They will not give Herbert a fully guaranteed contract. They can keep him through 26 on a 2nd tag if they want so 4 more seasons. They don’t need to talk extension yet.

Burrow is on the same schedule. Mike Brown is the cheapest fucker in the owners club. Makes the players pay for hot water. I don’t see a fully guaranteed contract out of him.

Lamar is so stupid in this. Deion tells them they will never make up dollars lost to holdouts, fines, or suspensions. He has already lost big money and if he skips 23 that’s a lost $32m plus a lost league year for his pension.

Dak is smart contract wise if he gets his play back on track. He could conceivably have two or three more contracts. And he’s tearing it up on the endorsement side.

15 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Le’veon made $4m his first 4 years, $12 million in 2017; then rejected both a two year offer for $30m and the franchise tag (one year at $16m). He ended up collecting only $28m from 2019-2021 from the Jets, Chiefs, Ravens, and Bucs. Playing 2018 for $16m probably wouldn’t have decreased the $28m he earned later. Truly dumb decision. 

Looking at the numbers makes it look even worse. 15 mil a year for 2 years or 28 mil for 4 years. 

Like you said, he could have played, made 16 mil and probably still make 28M MORE. Or more had he had another big year in 18. 

On 4/5/2023 at 11:10 AM, Texzilla58 said:

The Ravens are bringing in Anthony Richardson for a workout/meeting. That’s how they’re dealing with Lamar. That’s a sweet shot across the bow. Lamar we’re bringing in the guy in the draft that most resembles you but might be a better athlete.

I think Lamar and mama have allowed their ego to paint themselves into such a corner that they cannot lose face and take a lesser deal than they demand. Even if it’s generational wealth beyond what any of us can dream. He’ll sit out before going back. It’s ugly to watch but he’s like that 5 year old that won’t eat one spoon of black eyed peas and will sit staring at it for hours.

They may as well bring in Stroud..... maybe they can leak they're talking to Justin Herbert's uncle?  Who gives a shit.  At 22 with no 2nd rounder, they have no shot at Richardson, unless..... they were to trade Lamar which means he would have to have a contract in place.  What a fucking lame attempt at leverage.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

If Lamar sits this year, he rejects the ~$45M. If the Ravens tag him again in 2024, if it is ruled as the first tag he played under, he’ll get the average of the top 5 QBs (probably in the $45-50m range). If it is ruled to be his second year, he gets a 20% bump so ~$60M. Ravens would probably pay it either way but it’s a $15m issue for Lamar and for the Ravens’ cap space. Completely fucks up their plans to compete in 2023 so this is stupid. The Ravens would cut to the chase and offer him thr $105 for two years today. They already offered him $133m fully guaranteed for 3, in addition to the longer deal that came out to like $175m guaranteed. Lamar’s mom is an idiot. 

I'm not following.  The franchise tag for QBs this year is about 32m.  Next year, probably be around 36 with the 20% kicker that's 43m.  I think you're confusing the exclusive franchise tag with the non-exclusive franchise tag, which is what the Ravens tagged him with.  The Ravens were wise in only hitting him with this.  Dallas should have done the same with Dak back in the day.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:28 PM, Ignatius said:

He’s ultimately going to sign the tag, play next year, and then insist on his 100% guarantee next year in an environment when Burrow and Herbert get them just like Trevor Lawrence will when he’s eligible. The Ravens won’t be the first to blink but San Diego might and Cincinnati absolutely will…

This is very possible.... Be interesting to see what Hurts gets in an extension too.  Dak needs to be extended as well.

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm not following.  The franchise tag for QBs this year is about 32m.  Next year, probably be around 36 with the 20% kicker that's 43m.  I think you're confusing the exclusive franchise tag with the non-exclusive franchise tag, which is what the Ravens tagged him with.  The Ravens were wise in only hitting him with this.  Dallas should have done the same with Dak back in the day.

My bad I may have heard incorrectly that the regular franchise was in the $40’s. Seemed like the top 5 salary average should be considering what Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, and Mahomes are getting paid. Regardless, the point was that Leveon Bell never made up the money he lost by sitting a year, and the rust hurt him more than “saving tread on the tires”.

sitting out is never a good idea, unless you are an old balls all pro who needs a recovery season, and is coming back to chase a championship on a cheap deal (I think julius peppers did it but could be wrong) Wasnt peppers he played almost every game every season. 

Sitting out a prime earning year is as close to career suicide as you can get.

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My bad I may have heard incorrectly that the regular franchise was in the $40’s. Seemed like the top 5 salary average should be considering what Rodgers, Watson, Wilson, and Mahomes are getting paid. Regardless, the point was that Leveon Bell never made up the money he lost by sitting a year, and the rust hurt him more than “saving tread on the tires”.

Actually you're correct the exclusive tag is in the 40m's.  It's simply there is a slight difference in which tag was applied and the Ravens, wisely, applied the non-exclusive tag so teams can negotiate with Lamar.  They made a calculated risk and read the QB market well, so the non-exclusive tag is 32m.  But using your logic, maybe offer Lamar 2/82 all guaranteed and avoid all the silly franchise tag risks?  Doubt Lamar takes it.... probably (and correctly) feels the Ravens won't franchise him a 2nd time.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I think Lamar and his mother have miscalculated his present and future worth if they think he’s going to be paid over $50m/year beyond 2026 or so (whenever front offices anticipate he starts to lose a step or the injuries and age have impacted his game). If he plays in 2023 for $32m and balls out without bailing on his team late in the season, he’s likely to to get a better deal for 2024 and beyond than if he keeps up what he has been doing and sits out a year (while also missing out on that $32m).

Actually you're correct the exclusive tag is in the 40m's.  It's simply there is a slight difference in which tag was applied and the Ravens, wisely, applied the non-exclusive tag so teams can negotiate with Lamar.  They made a calculated risk and read the QB market well, so the non-exclusive tag is 32m.  But using your logic, maybe offer Lamar 2/82 all guaranteed and avoid all the silly franchise tag risks?  Doubt Lamar takes it.... probably (and correctly) feels the Ravens won't franchise him a 2nd time.

Why would you give him a fully guaranteed 2 year deal when you can play the nonexclusive tag deal for a season at a time and pay way less? Whatever risk is mitigated by 2 firsts and jettisoning him.

Wtf would OBJ sign with the ravens? Who’s gonna throw to him?

Ravens only team biting on anywhere close to his desired $20m. OBJ has never been about rings just the Benjamin’s.

Best thing about obj signing with ravens: Jerry didn’t sign him. Jerry looks at him like he did Johnny football. Because of one catch.

Ravens only team biting on anywhere close to his desired $20m. OBJ has never been about rings just the Benjamin’s.

Best thing about obj signing with ravens: Jerry didn’t sign him. Jerry looks at him like he did Johnny football. Because of one catch.
I mean he signed with the Rams and won a ring right away. A team that was going all in. Or was he traded for? Can't remember.

At this point in his career with his injuries, going to guess there wasn't a whole lot if any teams interested in his services for the money he wanted.

I said all along the Odel to Dallas stuff was smoke from both Odel and Jerry. It never made a ton of sense for the Cowboys, other than generating worthless buzz for both parties. Jerry gonna Jerry. 

Ravens went full regard with what they are paying. The must think it will give them leverage for getting Jackson back in the house, likely under the franchise tag.

Edited by DougO

Wow that's a lot of gtd money for OBJ... 

The Baltimore Ravens made their boldest move of the offseason -- and delivered perhaps their strongest message to disgruntled quarterback Lamar Jackson -- by reaching a one-year agreement with three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. on Sunday.

The deal is worth up to $18 million and includes $15 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36138360/odell-beckham-jr-agrees-deal-baltimore-ravens

33 minutes ago, DougO said:

I said all along the Odel to Dallas stuff was smoke from both Odel and Jerry. It never made a ton of sense for the Cowboys, other than generating worthless buzz for both parties. Jerry gonna Jerry. 

Ravens went full regard with what they are paying. The must think it will give them leverage for getting Jackson back in the house, likely under the franchise tag.

Absolutely. It kept Dallas in the news while they were done with. Jerry loves that. The old school Jerry would have definitely signed him. He did help the Rams offense the year they won it all but he's aging and coming off 2 major surgeries. Just don't see a ton of upside.

But I definitely thought this was all to persuade Lamar to sign. His issue, though isn't not having any weapons .He wants his own money.,

The NFL and the league’s players union have announced a newly-designed helmet specifically for quarterbacks to wear in an effort to reduce the severity of impacts that can cause concussions.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/13/sport/nfl-quarterback-helmet-concussion-spt-intl/index.html

I found the leaked photo that they are going to use as a prototype - just have to make a few adjustments from a ball cap to a helmet

big-hat

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Lions are on the rise

Yes they are, I think it is their motto 

Same as the last 60+ years 

They have won exactly 1 playoff game since 1957. Just let that settle in for a bit before you tell me how they aren't the worst franchise in professional sports.