NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

14 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Fuck No.

Especially since the injuries are going to keep coming. And he still isn't a full-service qb.

There's a lot of players moaning about collusion between the owners, but the truth is Jackson has been good, not great for the last couple of years, is a bit sloppy with the ball, can't stay healthy.....And the Browns were absolute fools with that Watson contract.  Nobody is getting that kind of guaranteed money again.  At least not for a few years.  We are a long way from 2019. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

There's a lot of players moaning about collusion between the owners, but the truth is Jackson has been good, not great for the last couple of years, is a bit sloppy with the ball, can't stay healthy....

The truth is that when Jackson is on the field the Ravens have the 6th best offense in the NFL by dVOA. Without him they rank 29th. The Falcons won 7 games last year in a trash division. With Lamar Jackson they likely win at least 10-11. Daniel Jones and Geno Smith just got 40 million per season. Stop carrying the water for obvious collusion. They are obviously sending a message about having an agent that will play ball

53 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

As a Saints fan, it's so fucking frustrating. I'm sure Mickey Loomis will now trade away half his picks to overdraft a swing G/T by two rounds. 

Agreed. Carr isn't terrible but aside from his huge season in 2016 (where he then got seriously hurt), he hasn't accomplished anything in his career. And those numbers were with really good weapons with the Raiders. He had Jacobs, Adams, and other good weapons. Is he an upgrade over any singular person the Saints started last year? Probably. A huge upgrade? Nah. 

22 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

The truth is that when Jackson is on the field the Ravens have the 6th best offense in the NFL by dVOA. Without him they rank 29th. The Falcons won 7 games last year in a trash division. With Lamar Jackson they likely win at least 10-11. Daniel Jones and Geno Smith just got 40 million per season. Stop carrying the water for obvious collusion. They are obviously sending a message about having an agent that will play ball

I’m not the one holding out for Deshaun Watson’s contract. But feel free to make it personal. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m not the one holding out for Deshaun Watson’s contract. But feel free to make it personal. 

Wasn't my intent to make it personal towards you. I'm not that skilled a poster, as evidenced by my use of the word obvious in back to back sentences.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

They almost beat the Bengals with some dude ive never heard of.

To me the issue is no agent. A classic example of a person with no business sense stepping over a dollar to save a dime.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

If the owners were colluding, wouldn't they have told Haslem not to give Watson that contract in the first place?

Maybe it has something to do with Lamar still not being able to use the whole field consistently as a QB(something Watson can do). In addition to his style of play and the type of offense, he needs to be successful.

I think he would make the Falcons a damn good team.  But $250 million is a lot of cheddar. The Ravens already offered him more than Russell Wilson got from the Broncos. And now that that deal blew up in the Broncos face, I’m sure everyone is a little wary of big deals for non Patrick Mahomes level players. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Watson sucks. Jackson sucks less but he is still not a QB I would want to bring in at this point. But I also think Dak, Jones, and everyone not named Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Burrow, or Herbert sucks. 

Herbert? Lol. Dude is all hype and no substance. They hype train follows him every year and his teams do nothing. Well blow 27pt playoff games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I think he would make the Falcons a damn good team.  But $250 million is a lot of cheddar. The Ravens already offered him more than Russell Wilson got from the Broncos. And now that that deal blew up in the Broncos face, I’m sure everyone is a little wary of big deals for non Patrick Mahomes level players. 

Put him on the Ravens roster with the Ravens play calling and Pat Mahomes isn’t a Pat Mahomes level player…

Rogers always produces though.. I wish Dallas would try to go after him.. Dak isn't it in Dallas.
Produces what exactly? He's a regular reason QB who becomes worse when it counts in the playoffs. Dak can't beat SF in the playoffs and neither can Rodgers.

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, MajorTexas said:
Rogers always produces though.. I wish Dallas would try to go after him.. Dak isn't it in Dallas.

Produces what exactly? He's a regular reason QB who becomes worse when it counts in the playoffs. Dak can't beat SF in the playoffs and neither can Rodgers.

Rogers keeps GB relevant. GB doesn’t rely on the run game to win games. On top of that they haven’t had a true No. 1, since Cobb? (I could be mistaken) IMO Rogers does produce year after year in GB. As well Rogers won the MVP in 21. You don’t win the MVP  by poking your butt all season😹

I didn’t catch the thread title change to Lamar Jackson’s white knights and fan club. 

The Browns way overpaid Watson and they would admit it. They had to because he had already picked the Falcons to waive his no trade clause, and they panicked that they’d never have a franchise QB. In the last two years Jackson made the Ravens a much better team when he was on the field. But even at his young age he has missed a lot of games, he allegedly quit on the team at the end of last year because he was pissed about the contract status, and mobility is a big part of his game which will only degrade with time. Lots of valid reasons to not “reset the market” with a $250M fully guaranteed besides insisting that it is collusion. If he asked for a billion dollars and nobody bit, is it collusion? Because some of y’all never got laid in college, was it collusion by the coeds?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Media is apoplectic that teams are out on Lamar.

Mofo misses a shit-ton of games.  Yeah, you win when he plays, but if he's out for 30-40% of the season, why guarantee that contract?

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I didn’t catch the thread title change to Lamar Jackson’s white knights and fan club. 

The Browns way overpaid Watson and they would admit it. They had to because he had already picked the Falcons to waive his no trade clause, and they panicked that they’d never have a franchise QB. In the last two years Jackson made the Ravens a much better team when he was on the field. But even at his young age he has missed a lot of games, he allegedly quit on the team at the end of last year because he was pissed about the contract status, and mobility is a big part of his game which will only degrade with time. Lots of valid reasons to not “reset the market” with a $250M fully guaranteed besides insisting that it is collusion. If he asked for a billion dollars and nobody bit, is it collusion? Because some of y’all never got laid in college, was it collusion by the coeds?

Este

The guaranteed price for top tier QBs rn is somewhere between 100 and 150 million. Except for the fucking Browns. 

The problem isn’t collusion, it’s that Lamar Jackson is asking for 100 million more than the going price, doesn’t have an agent who can at least listen to offers, even if the answer is going to be no, which is part of the reason you have an agent: to screen your calls. 

It’s pretty much just a pricing dispute between a buyer and a seller with the added complication of no formal business protocols to ease the negotiation.

This pushing the “collusion” narrative is so ridiculous. I never hear from the “pay the man” folks when these contracts invariably crater. Is it collusion by the owners that their are zero dwarves in the league? Or octogenarians? Or folks in an iron lung?

Lamar is like the For Sale by Owner house owner who believes their house is worth what they think it’s worth without regard to the market comps. It happens all the time where some California idiot overpays for a house by $100k and that doesn’t reset a market unless the rest of the market moves. Sorry0 pal your house is worth what the other 99 houses sold for.

Lamar wants a guaranteed contract and without an agent to explain how the market is set, will plant his feet and roll out of Baltimore. Will he take a two year deal for $90 million elsewhere? He seems like one of those who can’t separate business and the team and will take it personal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Radio was discussing fully guaranteed deals and said if the contract was full guaranteed the team owner would need to cut a check for the full amount and place in escrow. 

No idea if that is true or not, but if so thats a big check 

That is absolutely true. Haslam had to write a big fucking check for Watson’s contract. The league used to approve all the contracts; I can’t believe they didn’t kick it back.

Too bad Haslam didn’t go to jail a few years back. He’s a slimeball criminal.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Radio was discussing fully guaranteed deals and said if the contract was full guaranteed the team owner would need to cut a check for the full amount and place in escrow. 

No idea if that is true or not, but if so thats a big check 

The rule isn't just for fully guaranteed contracts.  All guaranteed money in any contract needs to be placed into escrow upfront.  NFL owners could change the rule on their own (it's not part of the CBA), but have no desire to since it gives them another angle to not hand out full guarantees.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Lamar wants a guaranteed contract and without an agent to explain how the market is set, will plant his feet and roll out of Baltimore. Will he take a two year deal for $90 million elsewhere? He seems like one of those who can’t separate business and the team and will take it personal.

As an owner or GM, do you really want to get on the phone with the player and have to calm him down when he gets insulted you don’t want to over pay for him? 

It’s one thing to tell Irsay to fuck off when he offers an eightball, a voucher for the Landing Strip, and a bottle of Walker blue.  It’s another thing if you are Arthur Blank and you’ve put together a guaranteed 175 million plus a side deal to trade for a couple top tier players to fill holes and Lamar starts yelling at you about disrespecting him.

Edited by Bateshorn

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I respect it. It doesn’t bother me that he uses psychedelics. They have a lot of benefits if done correctly. It’s not like Rogers is going to a dead show eating a 10 strip every week. The NFL gives players Percocets which are highly addictive & overall bad for your health. if players are using them week after week to deal with injuries.  Just my opinion though… to each their own.

• Like 1