NFL 2023 Offseason

Vic Mackey

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Austin Ekeler gonna be asking Herbert...

kt5JfrnNE7z0UFrGiJITe%2BivSCqOqY=&risl=&

"Herbert also will have at his disposal a plethora of playmakers, including receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, first-round pick Quentin Johnston, as well as running back Austin Ekeler, who last season led the NFL with 18 touchdowns."

Allen and Williams will miss at least 4 games each. Two of those will be at the same time.

This is the best part of the 'dog story'. 

Addison, 21, the No. 23 overall pick of the 2023 draft, issued a public apology a day later, saying he "made a mistake and used poor judgment." He also promised "not to repeat the behavior" but did not say anything about his dog's emergency.

He was supposedly racing home at 3 am to get to the dog. 

This is the best part of the 'dog story'. 
Addison, 21, the No. 23 overall pick of the 2023 draft, issued a public apology a day later, saying he "made a mistake and used poor judgment." He also promised "not to repeat the behavior" but did not say anything about his dog's emergency.
He was supposedly racing home at 3 am to get to the dog. 
He had time to think. And what better way to get people sympathetic for your dangerous behavior than a "heartfelt" dog story. He knows this country is dog obsessed. And just like that, i see so many in comments now justifying what he did and they would do the same. The dog obsession is weird.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Btw that rigged system will pay $7.16 billion to players in 2023. There are roughly 2280 players so that’s $3.1m avg. obviously some make much more, others don’t. That’s a huge transfer of wealth every year. Few businesses hand over half their TOP LINE revenue to their employees before any costs are calculated. They aren’t sharecroppers choppin cotton down in Groesbeck.

That’s a very Pollyanna view of the NFL economics. I do tax and other work for probably a dozen NFL players and a couple of agents. Most of the guys operate on the fringe. Outside the top players, it’s a pretty terrible business. It has improved significantly the last few years, but the economics aren’t great. I talked to a guy last week that was probably going to get rostered in an expensive, high tax city and he was trying to figure out housing as a UDFA knowing he could be cut/dropped to practice squad at any time in season.

As far as your point on total salary cost, any business where people are the product are going to be in that ballpark. My payroll costs are in that ballpark as a percentage of revenue.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:32 PM, TonyTexas said:

I’m beginning to think Pam Cummings is a Leigh Steinberg sock with a bunch of RBs on the client roster. 

I just have this wild idea in my head that people who are the best in the world at what they do should be compensated accordingly. You would not be OK if you busted your literal ass at your job, earned the right to be promoted, and then were told actually because you were so productive on your shit wage, we're not gonna pay you. When you have created a system where that is happening, you need to change the system.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I just have this wild idea in my head that people who are the best in the world at what they do should be compensated accordingly. You would not be OK if you busted your literal ass at your job, earned the right to be promoted, and then were told actually because you were so productive on your shit wage, we're not gonna pay you. When you have created a system where that is happening, you need to change the system.

It’s called a market. You don’t seem to understand that. There are plenty of folks that are the best in the world at what they do and don’t make lots of money. Maybe it’s tenure. Maybe it’s audience. You might be the Michael Jordan of the WNBA but aren’t going to make what a scrub in the nba makes. It might be the best fencer or cutting horse rider…no money. Fucking Secretariat was the most dominating athlete that ever lived and he didn’t get paid a dime. You might make the best barbecued armadillo on earth and no one gives a fuck, and I am sure there are hierarchies of talent among the homeless. You are whiny about someone making 11 million bucks to run a football. Get a fucking life.

Guess what. Injustice and unfairness and bad decisions are part of the world we live in. Pounding a table for millionaires is just stupid. There are kids sleeping in cars tonight. Go fix that.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s called a market. You don’t seem to understand that. There are plenty of folks that are the best in the world at what they do and don’t make lots of money. Maybe it’s tenure. Maybe it’s audience. You might be the Michael Jordan of the WNBA but aren’t going to make what a scrub in the nba makes. It might be the best fencer or cutting horse rider…no money. Fucking Secretariat was the most dominating athlete that ever lived and he didn’t get paid a dime. You might make the best barbecued armadillo on earth and no one gives a fuck, and I am sure there are hierarchies of talent among the homeless. You are whiny about someone making 11 million bucks to run a football. Get a fucking life.

Guess what. Injustice and unfairness and bad decisions are part of the world we live in. Pounding a table for millionaires is just stupid. There are kids sleeping in cars tonight. Go fix that.

Lmao at those comparisons. And extra lmao at i'm pounding the table for millionaires while you regurgitate billionaire talking points. You're gonna be the exact same guy bitching when the product suffers. Guaran fucking teed. "Hurr durr the market". You mean the one that is maniuplated to make sure the players never see their true value? Shut up.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Wow. The ratings keep growing and the revenue seems endless. Kids still line up to be RBs. Where is the product going to suffer? The game shows that high paid running backs don’t win in the playoffs; strong running games do, which spans to having strong offensive lines.

Your argument is stupid. Your predictions of RBs choosing to play soccer or pickleball instead of pro ball stupid. Saquan signed his contract. All these RBs saying they are disrespected are the ones making money. In the end that always wins. You want $10m or zero? Thought so.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

If the revenue is so endless then why is it so hard to pay people what they are worth? Why do you have to screw people over by locking them up through their prime productive years and then throwing up your hands at the end? Usually when you're advocating not to pay employees you leave out the part where you're raking in money hand over fist off the backs of their hard work.

It's also proven that paying your QB more than a certain percentage of the cap prevents you from being able to win. But teams still line up to do it. "The cap will go up". Funny how the logic you apply to RBs doesn't apply to any other position.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

If the revenue is so endless then why is it so hard to pay people what they are worth? Why do you have to screw people over by locking them up through their prime productive years and then throwing up your hands at the end? Usually when you're advocating not to pay employees you leave out the part where you're raking in money hand over fist off the backs of their hard work.

It's also proven that paying your QB more than a certain percentage of the cap prevents you from being able to win. But teams still line up to do it. "The cap will go up". Funny how the logic you apply to RBs doesn't apply to any other position.

Because there aren’t 32 nfl caliber QBs. Aren’t 64 high quality edge rushers. Or 32 top quality left tackles. On and on. It’s all out there. Why are you such a bleeding heart for RBs because there’s way more than can get jobs? The money is going to pay the players that are at positions where talent is rare and game changing. It’s not like owners seen paying anyone.

I don’t think you really understand how anything financial works for the league or the players. You don’t think Jerry would spend every dime he has to win? You just keep whining about the evil billionaire owners. You don’t have a solution other than to pay saquan $18m instead of $11m. Do you have any connection to reality ?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If the revenue is so endless then why is it so hard to pay people what they are worth?

THEY ARE GETTING PAID WHAT THEY ARE WORTH..... The market sets the contracts. Its why punters make less than QBs. 

• Like 1

That’s a very Pollyanna view of the NFL economics. I do tax and other work for probably a dozen NFL players and a couple of agents. Most of the guys operate on the fringe. Outside the top players, it’s a pretty terrible business. It has improved significantly the last few years, but the economics aren’t great. I talked to a guy last week that was probably going to get rostered in an expensive, high tax city and he was trying to figure out housing as a UDFA knowing he could be cut/dropped to practice squad at any time in season.
As far as your point on total salary cost, any business where people are the product are going to be in that ballpark. My payroll costs are in that ballpark as a percentage of revenue.

Sounds like a fun job. When you say fringe, do you mean like a journey qb type? Like a guy who makes $1.1 million or something for 8-9 years? Or a guy who is bad with money or lives in an expensive city?

7 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Sounds like a fun job. When you say fringe, do you mean like a journey qb type? Like a guy who makes $1.1 million or something for 8-9 years? Or a guy who is bad with money or lives in an expensive city?

This is the career I would like, I would say he is about as fringe as it gets. 13 years 16 games played. 31 mil made. Seems like a decent living to me. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/drew-stanton-3331/cash-earnings/

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Guys at the bottom of the roster that are playing on non-guaranteed minimum contracts. If they are active roster, they get paid the minimum which is pretty decent now. If they get pushed to practice squad at some point, they get 20% or thereabouts of their minimums that they get while active. If they get cut, they are not getting paid at all.

• Like 1

"I'm not going acknowledge Sean. He's been in the league for a while, he can say whatever the hell he wants," Jets coach Robert Saleh said Thursday. "As far as what we have going on here, I kind of live by the saying, 'If you ain't got no haters, you ain't popping.' So hate away."

Jesus fuck, he’s an idiot. 

8 hours ago, Juicy said:

This is the career I would like, I would say he is about as fringe as it gets. 13 years 16 games played. 31 mil made. Seems like a decent living to me. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/drew-stanton-3331/cash-earnings/

That’s not fringe. That’s a top percentile NFL career. The latest numbers say the average NFL career is right around 3 years and less than $3M in earnings. QB’s and kickers prop up the first number, QB’s prop up the second number. Something like 80% have spent their earnings 3 years post playing. The numbers are pretty crazy when you dig into them, but guys that get a taste of playing and game checks blow everything chasing another shot. We have a group that works with them to invest, live cheaply, and avoid their families to try and give them a shot post playing because the percentage that sign a second contract is extremely low. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1