It couldn't happen here, until it does ...active shooter on MSU campus

Wally Fairway

It's vaguely, tangentially related but I'm kinda struggling to see the connection between domestic mass shootings and some Mexicans buying shitty guns from Central America?  I'm sure there's a Haitian illegally buying a crate of assault rifles as I type this, but I'm not really worried about that guy since those bullets are bound for the torsos of other warlords.  

There is a 21-yead old Spartan who has now lived through two mass school shootings in less than a decade.  She can't rent a car, but she will get to bury 30 fellow classmates (maybe more with 5 still in serious condition).  But yes, Nicaragua runs guns.  Film at 11.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's vaguely, tangentially related but I'm kinda struggling to see the connection between domestic mass shootings and some Mexicans buying shitty guns from Central America?  I'm sure there's a Haitian illegally buying a crate of assault rifles as I type this, but I'm not really worried about that guy since those bullets are bound for the torsos of other warlords.  

There is a 21-yead old Spartan who has now lived through two mass school shootings in less than a decade.  She can't rent a car, but she will get to bury 30 fellow classmates (maybe more with 5 still in serious condition).  But yes, Nicaragua runs guns.  Film at 11.  

Yes. I need to get off the internet. Emotional. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

"There would be a massive surge in guns being moved up through the Southern border. Gun running would be a big part of cartel business. The first step is securing the border and then legislation."

Reply #32

If we get rid of guns in America instead of easy to transport powders they are going to start flooding the country with guns that will only be available to outlaws 

QED

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

"There would be a massive surge in guns being moved up through the Southern border. Gun running would be a big part of cartel business. The first step is securing the border and then legislation."

Reply #32

If we get rid of guns in America instead of easy to transport powders they are going to start flooding the country with guns that will only be available to outlaws 

QED

I don't see many posts on here calling for the "getting rid of all guns in America."  We're doing just fine on gun violence with legally purchased firearms made in the good ol' USofA.  I think there may have been a handful of mass shootings in the U.S. prior to the current "SECURE THE BORDER" messaging of the last 25 months.  Just a few though, I'd have to check some old newspaper clippings and microfiche.

• Hook 'Em 2

Digging into the gun violence in school:

https://k12ssdb.org/all-shootings

From 1970 - 2023

image.jpeg.8fb442007f014822635f563d3376142e.jpeg

Top 3:

• Accidental
  • Escalation of Dispute
  • Drive-by Shooting

My thought is that we have a country that is horrible at resolving our differences and reading the vitriol on social media, I fear it's going to get worse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I will confess to not following the membership of individual seats of the Michigan state legislature that closely.  Shame on me.

IDGAF.  Dude said the right thing at the right time.  More leaders -- a LOT more leaders -- should do the exact same thing.  

Odd the prevailing populist thing to do is make fun of thoughts and prayers, whilst simultaneously offering “deepest condolences” - which is certainly a thought. While he will proceed to do exactly nothing about this, because the gun lobby is much too strong. His entire essence is contradictory style over substance. And I agree with you on the substance, but I won’t follow his ass. 

Digging into the gun violence in school:
https://k12ssdb.org/all-shootings
From 1970 - 2023

image.jpeg.8fb442007f014822635f563d3376142e.jpeg

Top 3:
  • Accidental
  • Escalation of Dispute
  • Drive-by Shooting

My thought is that we have a country that is horrible at resolving our differences and reading the vitriol on social media, I fear it's going to get worse. 

Lack of empathy? You should see how some of your friends are empathetic in the LGBT thread.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes, I try to discuss reality and leave the dystopian fantasies clouded by emotion and tittyfits to others.  

Yes, the man who regards SJL as the voice of the Democratic Party when it comes to gun control claims he discusses reality and ignores fantasy. Regardless of where you stand on need / desire for gun control, you regularly dismiss reality in reach for hyperbole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Yes, the man who regards SJL as the voice of the Democratic Party when it comes to gun control claims he discusses reality and ignores fantasy. Regardless of where you stand on need / desire for gun control, you regularly dismiss reality in reach for hyperbole.

So of the 75 bills that she's listed as a sponsor, 7 are for additional firearm regulation.   10% of her political contribution.  Beats the other garbage about honoring Dusty Baker and recognizing Jazz and a host of other stupid shit on that list, I suppose.  

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

0ACE049F-6EF9-49DA-998E-FF4594B861D3.jpeg.7c750a857b559fba9522bda258c70c1f.thumb.jpeg.402b8f205a8c7b625766254f984a536a.jpeg

18 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Thoughts, prayers, and other useless gestures coming your way tonight East Lansing.  You're the focus of the next 24 hours until the next mass shooting in the U.S. on Thursday.  Don't ask me how I know.

Thoughts and prayers, and pass the ammunition.

It's all good until somebody else decides they want a lot of attention for a short period of time.

Can the accused plead these down, or would it be better for them to commit actual felonies, then plead them down such as the shooter last night?  

I’m not a lawyer, so what I am about to suggest might be completely unrealistic…

If the felony is violent in nature and/or involves a gun, even if it gets plead down, they shouldn’t be allowed to buy any kind of gun or ammunition. Period. We all know that won’t stop someone who is hell bent on getting a gun, but the point is to make it as difficult as possible. People need to stop thinking that because there is not some magical solution that will reduce gun violence by even 50% and start working on ways to at least start chipping away at the problem.

I have ZERO issue with hunters (not the fish in a barrel wannabes) nor someone keeping certain firearms in their home for protection. I think open carry is stupid (I think you also think so).

But ultimately, we have a culture problem of violence.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not a lawyer, so what I am about to suggest might be completely unrealistic…

If the felony is violent in nature and/or involves a gun, even if it gets plead down, they shouldn’t be allowed to buy any kind of gun or ammunition. Period. 

Was that the law in 1791?  No?  Then forget it.  The SCOTUS and 5th Circuit have made it plain as day -- no restrictions  on gun ownership/possession that were not the law in 1791 can survive constitutional scrutiny.  They violate the 2nd amendment.  Don't ask me, I'm not "the sky is falling" -- ask the SCOTUS, the Northern District of Texas, and the 5th Circuit.  They have all applied that exact rule.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Was that the law in 1791?  No?  Then forget it.  The SCOTUS and 5th Circuit have made it plain as day -- no restrictions  on gun ownership/possession that were not the law in 1791 can survive constitutional scrutiny.  They violate the 2nd amendment.  Don't ask me, I'm not "the sky is falling" -- ask the SCOTUS, the Northern District of Texas, and the 5th Circuit.  They have all applied that exact rule.

Care to opine on the current state of the legality of pistol braces?  When they became illegal, etc?  Bonus points if you think its a cause worth fighting for, while I'd posit we have some MUCH bigger fucking fish to fry. 

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

An American (assuming here, I realize) shot up a college in Michigan with a gun he bought in America.  This just shows we gotta focus on the Mexican border.” 

Hell of hot take there. 

I’ll have to pos-rep you somewhere else to make up for giving you the finger. Wanted you to complete the rep collection- I don’t see that very often. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes, I try to discuss reality and leave the dystopian fantasies clouded by emotion and tittyfits to others.  

Those laws are getting struck down literally as we type. This isn't a dystopian fantasy. It is literally happening. You've been provided multiple examples. And they are getting struck down because of a Justice Thomas' decision. You're just going to have to accept this. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If the felony is violent in nature and/or involves a gun, even if it gets plead down, they shouldn’t be allowed to buy any kind of gun or ammunition. Period. 

This is not Constitutional anymore. Justice Thomas says so. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Rage+1 1

I thought felons can’t legally own or handle guns.  I know an old Enron guy who plead to a felony offense (though I thought the charge was BS) and he couldn’t even handle a gun.  When he took his son on hunting trips with other fathers he was careful to never touch the weapon.  He also can’t vote.  

I thought felons can’t legally own or handle guns.  I know an old Enron guy who plead to a felony offense (though I thought the charge was BS) and he couldn’t even handle a gun.  When he took his son on hunting trips with other fathers he was careful to never touch the weapon.  He also can’t vote.  

Revoking someone’s right to vote, we’re super cool with (wink, youknowwhatimean?). But canceling their sacred right to possess a gun?
Be ready for the challenge to that at the SCOTUS as well. The test plaintiff will absolutely be a white collar, white felon.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m a gun owner, show a little empathy towards me. 

I got a hammer.  In fact a bunch of them, different types.   Sledge, ball peen, claw tooth, rubber mallet, dead blow.  I reckon I have more hammers than guns.  Have 4 claw-tooths.   

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Revoking someone’s right to vote, we’re super cool with (wink, youknowwhatimean?). But canceling their sacred right to possess a gun?
Be ready for the challenge to that at the SCOTUS as well. The test plaintiff will absolutely be a white collar, white felon.

So you agree that felons currently cannot own or handle a weapon.  Correct?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, mchookem said:

holy shit...TWO different people have now survived THREE separate mass shootings 😳 

i can't even really wrap my mind around that.

This is worded funny.  Do you mean 2 MSU survivors have now each survived 2 shootings?  One being MSU and each of them also survived one other shooting (Oxford and Sandy Hook)?  

Or, do you mean 2 people have survived 3 mass shootings? If so, what are the 3 they've each survived?

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

This is worded funny.  Do you mean 2 MSU survivors have now each survived 2 shootings?  One being MSU and each of them also survived one other shooting (Oxford and Sandy Hook)?  

Or, do you mean 2 people have survived 3 mass shootings? If so, what are the 3 they've each survived?

two people, three shootings total. incredible.

Edited by mchookem

So you agree that felons currently cannot own or handle a weapon.  Correct?

Correct. Just like a few weeks ago, 18 yr olds in Texas couldn’t obtain a handgun, and people with a domestic violence order couldn’t either. Now, both things have changed. Because the SCOTUS changed the law to make most conceivable regulations “unconstitutional,” because they didn’t exist in 1791.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I cannot imagine it. 

Grew up in Central America. Worked in South America. Was in Bosnia and Afghanistan. 

Been hit more times, but we were always ready. This fucking sucks and we need to find a solution. Education facilities? Really? Weak ass dick fucks are these shooters. 

Not being a tough guy. I don't carry, guard my house with a shotgun.

I am so glad my kids are grown up. I think about my teacher friends every day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, HouTex said:

They cannot own guns with self contained cartridges.  But black-powder (muzzle loaders) are not considered firearms so felons can still own these.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have never felt the need (let alone desire) to own one. And if any of y’all follow the photo thread, I am the sketchiest hoods in the large cities of this country.

I honestly think part of it is men, mostly right wing men, think that compassion and empathy are character flaws. That they are weaknesses.

Well, that, and they're scared of people who look different than they do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have never felt the need (let alone desire) to own one. And if any of y’all follow the photo thread, I am the sketchiest hoods in the large cities of this country.

I honestly think part of it is men, mostly right wing men, think that compassion and empathy are character flaws. That they are weaknesses.

That’s cute. I live in the real world, and I won’t leave my home without my firearm. I envy your naïveté
  • Like 1

Seriously. If that’s serious, it’s fucking insane.

I am insane? Or it is insane that I’ve seen enough of society and it’s wonderful creatures that despite being mistaken for an NFL athlete or professional bodybuilder on a daily basis, I still feel the need and obligation to possess my firearm wherever legally permissible?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am insane? Or it is insane that I’ve seen enough of society and it’s wonderful creatures that despite being mistaken for an NFL athlete or professional bodybuilder on a daily basis, I still feel the need and obligation to possess my firearm wherever legally permissible?

Yeah. You’re insane.
I’ve been around firearms my entire life. Grew up in a neighborhood that turned to shit before I left. Never felt the need to carry. I have a family to protect. Never felt the need to carry.
For one, because I know that statistically, I am doing 10x more to protect my family by putting them in modern, safe vehicles, than by carrying. In fact, I also know that by having a firearm readily accessible, I make a gun incident vastly more likely, and such incidents have a high rate of ending poorly.
People who carry all the time are - generally - bad at math.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Yes, you're insane. 

• Hook 'Em 2