Classic Car thread

TexasEd

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

This one is a 65. 

Before getting this one I looked for yrs at the 50's models as I always liked the body style. But the more I looked, I slowly turned towards the early 60's as my first vehicle I owned and drove in high school was was a '64 GMC stepside. That one was a long bed as I liked those more back then but now love the short beds. This has the same engine as the one in high school, a straight 6. 

Yeah, ours was a straight 6, three on the tree transmission.  Fleetside, not a stepside though.

44 minutes ago, baboso said:

Yeah, ours was a straight 6, three on the tree transmission.  Fleetside, not a stepside though.

This one was 3 on tree but has been transferred to the floor after having a tilt steering put in. I had a 69 Chevy stepside in the early 90's that was 3/tree and the linkage would always slip/hang up between 1st and second upon leaving stop signs or lights so you had to super careful when shifting or be stuck between gears and hold up traffic. 

• Like 1

I think this is my first post in this thread but have always loved the classics (had a 65 Mustang GT for a few years while at UT and a 72 240z later on and should have never sold them).

Starting to look into a first car for Jack Handey Jr and I think he may have inherited the sickness. 

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the market so what are the go to sites for classic/unique cars that aren’t ridiculously priced now?  We’re all over BAT but any other sites we should check? Autotrader Classics seems like it sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Handey said:

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the market so what are the go to sites for classic/unique cars that aren’t ridiculously priced now?

Man, it feels like everything is stupid expensive right now. I kept up with BAT, a few niche dealers, and this site: https://classiccars.com Ended up finding a dealer listing that started from searching cc.com. Passed on a few auctions at BAT that I kick myself now for, just cause everything has gotten so over the skis.  

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.classic.com/

https://carsandbids.com/ - doesn't have as much of an emphasis on classics so much as JDM oddballs and more modern cars, and I think the site design, the site utility as a reference tool, and the quality of the commentariat are all inferior to BaT, but still worth checking out. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

If y'all are ever in my home town of Mineral Wells I recommend making the effort to swing by the local Blue Oval Car Barn, you could even grab a bite to eat at Coffee and Cocktails right across the lane.  Finley loves pre-castration 1971 Mustangs but he has a ton of other desirable examples (and is one of the nicest & affable car guys you'll meet).

Blue-Oval-Car-Building-exterior.jpg

The below is one of the two 1970 Boss Mustangs you can see in the pic above, the other is a 302.

1970-Boss-429-4-scaled.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I used Streetside Classics to sell my Lightning a few years ago. Highly recommend for selling, process was basically painless.

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/locations/dallas

They have a huge selection of classic cars on site for sale. It's worth walking around just to see what they have. I suspect the buying process is pretty easy too.

Just because, my old Lightning in a vid they did for the ad.

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/4913-dfw/2001-ford-f-150-svt-lightning

7 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Not exactly a classic yet but late 80's early 90's Mustang or Camaro might be worth looking at. Not outrageous price and can be modified. Plus you get some safety items that the older models don't have

Man, Fox body Mustangs are getting bad, too. Clapped out ones on FB Marketplace are $7,000 + if running. 

8 hours ago, Grippe said:

If y'all are ever in my home town of Mineral Wells I recommend making the effort to swing by the local Blue Oval Car Barn, you could even grab a bite to eat at Coffee and Cocktails right across the lane.  Finley loves pre-castration 1971 Mustangs but he has a ton of other desirable examples (and is one of the nicest & affable car guys you'll meet).

Blue-Oval-Car-Building-exterior.jpg

The below is one of the two 1970 Boss Mustangs you can see in the pic above, the other is a 302.

1970-Boss-429-4-scaled.jpg

Man, my folks and cousins live in MW and I'm out there all the time.  I had no idea this was there.  I'll definitely have to check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
I'd been meaning to replace the bed wood in my truck for quite some time and finally got around to doing it this past week.
Before spending $$$ on one of the kits, I figured I would just replace what was already there as it had gotten a lot of compliments through the years I've had it even though it was rough looking. Still have  a few things to do to finish it off completely, but I like the way it turned out. Got a few compliments on it yesterday at a car show too.

IMG_6712.thumb.jpg.a4cb7af2ad85b09aa9c9d85d0705dd70.jpg
IMG_6641.thumb.jpg.aec386df5c495dcaf4196b4f6eb89a3e.jpg
IMG_6675.thumb.jpg.4e3435a124ad665529e5537312e02181.jpg
IMG_6679.thumb.jpg.9a910c517a94d0a006292e9638140ea5.jpg
IMG_6729.thumb.jpg.594844f5e074ffdb48b8ab39bcf6da15.jpg
IMG_6730.thumb.jpg.da4dccb1bfd7471456cfe56d7f603db9.jpg

Looks mighty sharp! The bed in my K-20 also needs some love after 2 years in the rain, so I figure I’ll sand it down and do something similar.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Someone convince me not to buy this.  Rarely have I wanted something so hard. It’s a Lotus Europa that someone else gave up on.  I know it will bring me only pain and anger, but so help me I want this so bad. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1979b7e8e0ecf3c15a0fd5ad42e1ae51.jpeg

Love hurts. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Someone convince me not to buy this.  Rarely have I wanted something so hard. It’s a Lotus Europa that someone else gave up on.  I know it will bring me only pain and anger, but so help me I want this so bad. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1979b7e8e0ecf3c15a0fd5ad42e1ae51.jpeg

Watch the Leon’s Garage where they rehab a Europa. Nearly made Leno swear off cars completely. You should do it. Make the car an LLC so you can write it all off.

I remember when these were new and I went to the Lotus dealer in Memphis. They wouldn’t let me drive it but the sales guy took me for a ride. It’s so different than the 70 442 I had at the time. But I loved it. Chapman was the king of power to weight ratio thru removing weight. It’s probably the closest to an F1 car of the 70’s than any other car ever made. So quick, fast, and grippy, the cornering was crazy. Of course it probably does like a F1 car of the era in an accident erupting in a ball of flame.

If you can afford the bucks and the aggravation do it. Please paint it. That’s an awful color.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

If you can afford the bucks and the aggravation do it. Please paint it. That’s an awful color.

Objectively speaking, yes, that is an awful color. Nobody would spec this color on a contemporary build, but that's not what this is.

I think it's the perfect color for the time and place and personality and overall "70s British Panache" of this magnificent gem. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 3

I just wanted to post a thanks for all the interest and support for my build vision here.  I have some family members who apparently cannot see where things are going and question the process.  It doesn’t matter if it is landscaping the yard and doing one step that is the foundation for all the steps to come or working on a car and building up a good platform to make the next step on.  It gets frustrating and then they sometimes don’t even want to hear about what if scenarios so the support and discussion here is therapeutic and helps get through the long build processes until you can enjoy the work.

Happy New Year, here’s to making you dreams come true.

41F2873F-B55A-46E7-9925-25ED2AF44F8C.thumb.jpeg.0c5c88a370fbc6e674845bd955983aca.jpeg
My dad restored/raced mopars so that got me into it. My wife didn't come from a muscle car/mechanical family and it was hard for her to see the vision as well. Especially when the family room started collecting sheet metal parts at a rapid pace, the garage was full of torn-down engines, and the checking account was well.... yeah.

However, once she saw the first car come alive and the excitement of bumping that car over as I thought over every wire I connected, are the clamps on the fuel line tight enough, did I drop the distributor in 12 BTDC... just go away when she rumbles to life. That yell of pure euphoria is so memorable, she saw that and has never asked me about it.

Shag/surl is a great place (most of the time) and this thread and your contributions reflect that. Thank you for posting and keeping us involved in your project. I've truly enjoyed it bud
  • Hook 'Em 3

My dad restored/raced mopars so that got me into it. My wife didn't come from a muscle car/mechanical family and it was hard for her to see the vision as well. Especially when the family room started collecting sheet metal parts at a rapid pace, the garage was full of torn-down engines, and the checking account was well.... yeah.

However, once she saw the first car come alive and the excitement of bumping that car over as I thought over every wire I connected, are the clamps on the fuel line tight enough, did I drop the distributor in 12 BTDC... just go away when she rumbles to life. That yell of pure euphoria is so memorable, she saw that and has never asked me about it.

Shag/surl is a great place (most of the time) and this thread and your contributions reflect that. Thank you for posting and keeping us involved in your project. I've truly enjoyed it bud

Saw a mopar for sale on Facebook the other day. Thought of sending it to you. You seem like you what projects galore. lol I forget what it was though.
  • Like 1

Saw a mopar for sale on Facebook the other day. Thought of sending it to you. You seem like you what projects galore. lol I forget what it was though.
That's awesome! I will say prices seem to have decreased a bit for mopars which is a good thing. We're saving to build a house in Texas but if I wasn't I'd have another project.

Yeah, I’m getting ready to have two kids start college soon, 11th and 9th now, so I know that I have a small window to do this.  Once that is over I’m hoping to dive into doing another car and get back into my other hobby, O-Gauge trains. 

I will probably stick with a Ford for a second car but could possibly do an El Camino or Chevelle.  In addition to the Mustangs I also like the Falcons, Fairlaines, F100s, Torinos, etc.  I could also see doing a Ford based hot rod.  It’s fun to think about it as we grind out the working years what we can do in retirement.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^^that's got some Mad Max Jensen Interceptor vibes. 

Diamond Back Tires is offering $100 off an order of $1,000 or more today and tomorrow. I have been pleased with the custom tires I ordered from them based on my guy's recommendation. He says that in his experience, the quality of the vintage-style Cokers has dropped off considerably over the past few years. 

Screenshot_20240130_110326_Gmail.jpg

• Like 1

My UT roommate had a ‘61 Vette like that one in the ad. 
There was a big rain one night and by the morning the passenger side floorwell had a couple inches of water in it. 
Apparently the leak came in through a windshield seal and down the firewall. 
He drained it by shooting three holes through the floor pan with his .22 pistol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

He was something of an unconventional dude. Dropped out of UT grad school before finishing his PHD thesis, went on active duty in the Army, then later was the city manager for New Braunfels.

Before the Vette he had a 1965 Chevelle Supersport with a 396, then later a 1970 Olds 442 convertible.

• Like 2

They are working on putting it back together. The doors are gapped and the fender piping installed. The garage commented what I have said - this blue looks totally different depending on light

IMG_4432-scaled.webp

IMG_4439-scaled.webp

IMG_4440-scaled.webp

IMG_4431-scaled.webp

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

21 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

They are working on putting it back together. The doors are gapped and the fender piping installed. The garage commented what I have said - this blue looks totally different depending on light

IMG_4432-scaled.webp

IMG_4439-scaled.webp

IMG_4440-scaled.webp

IMG_4431-scaled.webp

Looks awesome. I've always liked light blues.

I get the comment about the different light making the color look differently.

My Riviera, in Olive Gold Metallic, looks different depending on inside light, sunshine or clouds. It's kind of cool though.

I think I saw that one or a similar one on Bring a Trailer. No idea why you would go to a cut down racing windshield for around town. You could easily have a racing windshield and a normal one. The support arms are held on with two bolts in the fender so it would take 15 minutes to switch.

Edited by AUinHsv

On 1/16/2024 at 5:34 PM, TexasEd said:

Time to finalize the color the one on the left is closer to original paint color under the hood. Going to get one more spray out.

IMG_3919.jpeg

Did you make a choice? The one on the left looks more Red to me. The one on the right has, to my eyes at least, a touch of Orange.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Did you make a choice? The one on the left looks more Red to me. The one on the right has, to my eyes at least, a touch of Orange.

Bingo.  That's exactly what I said when I saw them.  It's getting painted a color close to the left one.  I have not seen it but there was a 3x or 4x price difference between the two samples above (the correct color was more $) and they got another line that sprayed out the same as the left but closer to the lower price.  This way I can spend more money on the clear coat.

Today's update is that the door jams and joints are painted.

Edited by TexasEd