Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Mid 2nd round is probably being generous. I don’t see him getting drafted. 

A couple of weeks ago, Mitchell started softening his language around Texas. Someone definitely got a hold of him and hit him with the reality that he might need to come back.

It’s pretty shocking the kid didn’t just enter the portal when he declared for the draft to keep his options open.

Yeah, I'm shocked he didn't enter the portal. That's the only confusing part of all this. 

I think Mitchell had such an inflated ego he didn't believe there was any chance he wouldn't be drafted in the 1st round. He's been told the last 2 years he's a lottery pick and now he's come to the realization it's nowhere close to the truth. 

"i wish derka well, and i see him talking about suicide, but i don't want him to hurt himself."

*proceeds to dig up weeks old posts from an argument that he started with me, just so he can start a new argument about what an abusive POS i am*

motownhorn ladies and gentleman. just a bastion of kindness and good will. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

"i wish derka well, and i see him talking about suicide, but i don't want him to hurt himself."

*proceeds to dig up weeks old posts from an argument that he started with me, just so he can start a new argument about what an abusive POS i am*

motownhorn ladies and gentleman. just a bastion of kindness and good will. 

I’m done bending over backwards to be nice to you, you overgrown child 

“it’s not my fault! Everyone is mean to me for no reason! If you see me being a dick call me out on it”

Ok here you go. You were a dick.

Then your response is not to apologize and own your part in all this, but to throw another pity party 

Sorry man I don’t take too kindly to being tagged in a suicide threat. Go get help if you’re serious. Otherwise grow up.

Edited by MotownHorn

We can go back and forth about who was right or wrong but anybody that suggested "there was no chance Mitchell was returning" simply wasn't paying attention. 

I don't give a shit what Mitchell was saying. It was obvious, after the combine scrimmages, that Mitchell's draft value was in the tank. Excluding the possibility of Mitchell returning was dumb. 

Now Mitchell may still leave but my guess if that happens it has more to do with Texas than Mitchell. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

The concerning thing for me regarding Mitchell is that he seemed to be a pretty good teammate up until the end of the season.  I heard nothing about him being a locker room cancer, even though he was mostly a hyper-athletic blue chip with very few developed skills.

And then on the way out, he started to come across as pretty anti-Texas (or maybe anti-RT).  We want that back?  I mean, I guess I can give a young kid a second chance, but jeezus dude, learn something.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The concerning thing for me regarding Mitchell is that he seemed to be a pretty good teammate up until the end of the season.  I heard nothing about him being a locker room cancer, even though he was mostly a hyper-athletic blue chip with very few developed skills.

And then on the way out, he started to come across as pretty anti-Texas (or maybe anti-RT).  We want that back?  I mean, I guess I can give a young kid a second chance, but jeezus dude, learn something.

Did he really though? Didn't he just celebrate his friend and teammate Arterio getting a big NIL deal to go to Kansas?

I agree that Kaluma or Phillips are probably better, but I didn't take his couple tweets congratulating Arterio as anti-Texas. I took them as pro-Arterio.

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Did he really though? Didn't he just celebrate his friend and teammate Arterio getting a big NIL deal to go to Kansas?

I agree that Kaluma or Phillips are probably better, but I didn't take his couple tweets congratulating Arterio as anti-Texas. I took them as pro-Arterio.

That wasn't my thought at the time, but I'd have to go revisit those tweets again to be sure.  My interest in doing that is exactly zero.

• Haha 1

He deserves a 2nd chance after spending a year at somewhere like Houston Christian. Just letting him back in the penthouse after he trashed it on the way out makes 0 sense to me.

But I guess if Rodney is OK with it, then it's his program on the line.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That wasn't my thought at the time, but I'd have to go revisit those tweets again to be sure.  My interest in doing that is exactly zero.

He just tweeted "love you twin, get active" and then retweeted some tweets saying Morris was going to Kansas.

Edited by MotownHorn

25 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I agree that Kaluma or Phillips are probably better

I don't think people realize how good Kaluma is. He's a potential 1st or 2nd team All-Big 12 player next year if he takes a slight jump from his Sophomore year. 

To me, he's always been the big fish we should be after even if there's questions about fit at the 3. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

He deserves a 2nd chance after spending a year at somewhere like Houston Christian. Just letting him back in the penthouse after he trashed it on the way out makes 0 sense to me.

But I guess if Rodney is OK with it, then it's his program on the line.

A ‘2nd chance’? How did he fuck up the 1st one, by declaring for the draft while leaving his option to return open? Over some goddamn Twitter bullshit?

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the twitter stuff is overblown but if Texas lands Kaluma or Phillips they have every right to tell Mitchell no thanks. 

I don't agree with the "2nd chance" part but you can't hold Texas hostage for this long and expect Texas not to look for other options. Players that are better by the way. Mitchell should have entered the portal if that was a concern. 

If that tweet is all there is, then it is nothing. Congratulating your friend on getting a new job (especially with a pay raise) does not automatically equate to trashing the old employer. They were the only two freshman on a veteran team and I imagine grew pretty close over the year.  It would have been pretty shitty for him not to congratulate Arterio on the move. it's what friends do.

Some of y'all just itching for bitching.

• Hook 'Em 4

At one point, Mitchell had liked several tweets on Twitter that were criticizing RT. I think that's what most people are referring too. I don't think it's a big deal either way. 

Interestingly enough, I don't see those likes anymore. He must have gone back and unliked them (my guess is after realizing he wasn't NBA bound). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

A ‘2nd chance’? How did he fuck up the 1st one, by declaring for the draft while leaving his option to return open? Over some goddamn Twitter bullshit?

It's one thing to support a friend. But if he was being salty about Terry and Texas, that's more than just Twitter bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

It's one thing to support a friend. But if he was being salty about Terry and Texas, that's more than just Twitter bullshit. 

Was there more to this than ‘Love you twin/Get active’? Literally, was there anything more than this?

Edited by Ignatius

34 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Was there more to this than ‘Love you twin/Get active’? Literally, was there anything more than this?

48 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

At one point, Mitchell had liked several tweets on Twitter that were criticizing RT. I think that's what most people are referring too. I don't think it's a big deal either way. 

Interestingly enough, I don't see those likes anymore. He must have gone back and unliked them (my guess is after realizing he wasn't NBA bound). 

5 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Either way, he shouldn't be welcomed back with open arms if he was talking shit about us. Why would you even want him back in your locker room? If he did it once, he'll do it again.

Narrator: Mitchell was not in fact talking shit about his school. Some Longhornfans feel an incessant need to manufacture negativity about players despite no evidence other than one classmate congratulating another classmate on a new destination. Somehow the kid who was the consummate teammate despite filling a role (without complaint mind you) he no doubt viewed below his talent level is suddenly talking trash about his team. Absolute fucking nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Texas likely needs another wing and another guard, the problem is they only have about 30 minutes of playing time to offer. Mitchell is really not a fit as he could probably play the wing defensively, but doesn't have the consistent face up game, nor can he create off the dribble to play their long stretches offensively. I do think was interesting that he never got a chance to shut down the Miami wing that was killing it. 

Personally, I think a 6'4"-6'6" 3 and D guard would be the best fit for how the team currently sits. I am fine with giving Anamewke more playing time to see if he can be a rotational guy next year. His shot looked better than Mitchell's last year.

Kaluma while better than Mitchell across the board, has never shown an offensive wing game, nor has he had to guard wings and guards consistently. I don't see a great fit with him either, but he'd be able to play that spot more than Mitchell. Spencer was the best personnel fit, but he wants to show he can play PG to up his NBA draft chances, and he'd be the 3rd PG on the team behind Hunter and Abmas. The 2nd best fit would likely be the Tennessee wing.

Right now, I see the starting 5 as Hunter, Abmas, Weaver, Disu, and Shedrick which leaves no guards on the bench. Then you have Cunningham at the 3-5, Onyema at the 4/5, and Anamewke at the 3-5. Going to have to mine another 2 guys from the portal. 

Gerry said there are plenty of Big 12 caliber role players in the portal, and if Kaluma goes somewhere else, then they probably start looking for those guys with the man rotation set with the 8 guys above.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Kaluma while better than Mitchell across the board, has never shown an offensive wing game, nor has he had to guard wings and guards consistently. I don't see a great fit with him either, but he'd be able to play that spot more than Mitchell. Spencer was the best personnel fit, but he wants to show he can play PG to up his NBA draft chances, and he'd be the 3rd PG on the team behind Hunter and Abmas. The 2nd best fit would likely be the Tennessee wing.

Kaluma has much more offensive game on the wing than Phillips does. I agree that Kaluma will probably be a 4 at the next level but you're drastically undervaluing what he can do on the wing at the college level. 

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not taking one side or the other regarding Mitchell but dismissing social media activity of a Gen Z player in this day and age as meaningless bullshit is naive. It’s their/some what my generations primary form of communication. 

Mitchell doesn't know how to play basketball according to Ricky so I wouldn't worry about it. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mitchell doesn't know how to play basketball according to Ricky so I wouldn't worry about it. 

I don't know why this bothers you so much. Did you watch Mitchell last season  or at the combine? He has very limited game right now. 

I'm sure he will develop with more experience. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know why this bothers you so much. Did you watch Mitchell last season  or at the combine? He has very limited game right now. 

I'm sure he will develop with more experience. 

It doesn't bother me I just think your obsession with him is funny. I'm not hung up on whether he returns next season but he could be a really good player as a sophomore. Certainly better than some of these middling portal guys. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It doesn't bother me I just think your obsession with him is funny. I'm not hung up on whether he returns next season but he could be a really good player as a sophomore. Certainly better than some of these middling portal guys. 

He isn't better than Kaluma or Phillips. If you think that I have a hard time taking any of your opinions seriously. 

But I do agree that Mitchell would likely be a much better player in his sophomore season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

He liked a tweet suggesting RT should be fired and he liked the tweet where Holland was recommitting. 
I’m not making any judgements but it is what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He isn't better than Kaluma or Phillips. If you think that I have a hard time taking any of your opinions seriously. 

But I do agree that Mitchell would likely be a much better player in his sophomore season. 

So you sit here and repeatedly shit on Mitchell more than anyone on the board, then when someone ribs you for your takes you say that you can't take their opinion seriously if they think that Dillon Mitchell could be a better player than either of those guys (who, by the way, are middling). 

Go look at their stats. Phillips shooting #s are abhorrent. Kaluma isn't particularly efficient either and turns the ball over too much. And they both played on good, well-coached teams with functional offenses. 

I would absolutely take Mitchell over either of them. Mitchell, for starters, has familiarity with our staff, the program, and a lot of the returning players. His ceiling also blows either of their's out of the water. 

But yes - please disrespect my opinion because you're high on a guy that posted 41/24 splits on minimal volume and another guy that doesn't take care of the basketball or play defense worth a shit.

It isn't my job to explain to you Mitchell's value outside of being able to hit a 15 foot jumper or shoot free throws at a decent clip. There are more aspects to basketball. Many of which contribute directly to winning. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Go look at their stats. Phillips shooting #s are abhorrent. Kaluma isn't particularly efficient either and turns the ball over too much. And they both played on good, well-coached teams with functional offenses. 

Phillips offensive game is still a work in progress but he was one of the most disruptive defenders in the country as a true freshman. Jesus, please don't tell me you would take Mitchell over Phillips? The floor with Phillips is getting one of the best wing defenders in the country. Do you want me to explain why Kaluma is much better next? 

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

the day that Terio announced for KU dillon mitchell made double digit tweets celebrating the fact. he was (no pun intended) RT'ing seemingly every post he could find celebrating Texas, his team, losing a key player to a key rival. it was overkill. now that alone is puzzling, but then combined with him liking all of the anti-RT tweets really made it seem like mitchell was suddenly anti-Texas. as has been noted though, he has cleaned up his twitter and much of this stuff is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Phillips offensive game is still a work in progress but he was one of the most disruptive defenders in the country as a true freshman. Jesus, please don't tell me you would take Mitchell over Phillips? The floor with Phillips is getting one of the best wing defenders in the country. Do you want me to explain why Kaluma is much better next? 

You literally think Mitchell can't even dribble a basketball. Why would I debate this with you? Do you want me to go find all of your posts from the past month absolutely trashing Mitchell's game? 

Acting like you're objective here is ridiculous. Despite playing bench minutes Mitchell just started 38 games for the first elite eight Texas team in 15 seasons as a true freshman. He was rated top 10 in his class for a reason. He is testing draft waters for a reason. Why you would want to take a flyer on some random transfer guy that also has holes in his game over Mitchell returning is beyond me. 

I don't know what "DBPR" is but I find it highly unlikely that Tennessee had 4 of the best 20 individual defenders in the country last season. It's almost like they are all increasing each other's rating. 

How about a very simple ORTG/DRTG comparison:

Mitchell - 119.3/96.8 

Phillips - 114.4/91.1

Looks pretty comparable by my eye. Difference being one of them has already played for this team and coaching staff. 

Mitchell boarded more per minute by a decent margin, he fouled less per minute, he stocked more per minute, he turned the ball over significantly less per minute. He scored and assisted less but scored much more efficiently. 

How dare I prefer Mitchell returning!

59 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Right now, I see the starting 5 as Hunter, Abmas, Weaver, Disu, and Shedrick which leaves no guards on the bench. Then you have Cunningham at the 3-5, Onyema at the 4/5, and Anamewke at the 3-5. Going to have to mine another 2 guys from the portal.

I personally would start Cunningham at the 3 and then bring Weaver off the bench for any of Hunter, Abmas or Cunningham depending on how the game is unfolding at the time.  Agree that we need another guard though.  I would look to bring in someone wit upside who we could develop for a few years.  

If Mitchell wants to come back, I don't see why you would take any of those other guys over him.  By all accounts Mitchell had a good attitude last year and we all know how much upside he has.  With literally every other player, there is culture risk.  These are all players who are leaving another program for one reason or another.  A large percentage of them are upset about something.  Maybe they will fit in to the culture RT is building.  Maybe they won't.  But there is more risk with every single one of them.  So for me to take that risk, the upside has to be higher than Mitchell, and that seems like a tall order.

Moreover, I think it is a bad look as a program that if a player tests the NBA draft waters and doesn't enter the portal, we tell them "Nope playa, it is time to go. Enjoy the G-League".  I don't think if that got out it would benefit us on the recruiting trail.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You literally think Mitchell can't even dribble a basketball. Why would I debate this with you? Do you want me to go find all of your posts from the past month absolutely trashing Mitchell's game? 

Acting like you're objective here is ridiculous. Despite playing bench minutes Mitchell just started 38 games for the first elite eight Texas team in 15 seasons as a true freshman. He was rated top 10 in his class for a reason. He is testing draft waters for a reason. Why you would want to take a flyer on some random transfer guy that also has holes in his game over Mitchell returning is beyond me. 

I don't know what "DBPR" is but I find it highly unlikely that Tennessee had 4 of the best 20 individual defenders in the country last season. It's almost like they are all increasing each other's rating. 

I think Mitchell has lots of offensive limitations. I also think he's a pretty damn good offensive rebounder with athleticism that projects to be a very good defender at some point in his career. You just seem like a bitch that's one of those "you can't criticize any Texas players" types. I don't dislike Mitchell. I call it like it is and I think Kaluma and Phillips are better players. 

You also must not have watched Tennessee last year. They had a historic defense for most of the year (which regressed at the end of the year to some degree). It's almost like Barnes is a very good defensive coach that knows defensive talent. 

If you think Mitchell > Phillips you are the one that cannot be objective. Phillips was a top 10ish (probably even better) defender last year as a true freshman. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Mitchell has lots of offensive limitations. I also think he's a pretty damn good offensive rebounder with athleticism that projects to be a very good defender at some point in his career. You just seem like a bitch that's one of those "you can't criticize any Texas players" types. I don't dislike Mitchell. I call it like it is and I think Kaluma and Phillips are better players. 

You also must not have watched Tennessee last year. They had a historic defense for most of the year (which regressed at the end of the year to some degree). It's almost like Barnes is a very good defensive coach that knows defensive talent. 

If you think Mitchell > Phillips you are the one that cannot be objective. Phillips was a top 10ish (probably even better) defender last year as a true freshman. 

Yeah, call me a bitch. Let's see where that gets you. 

Now I hope Mitchell returns so you can slowly realize how much of a dumbass you're being. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean Jesus we just made the elite eight and finished 5th in the AP with Mitchell starting every fucking game. 

Better ship his ass and go grab Creighton's 5th best player. 

This is such a shitty argument but it is you. Mitchell hardly played down the stretch. Using "Mitchell started every game" is such a weak argument. 

Creighton also made the Elite 8 and Mitchell was far from our 5th best player. So what does that say about Mitchell? You really aren't good at this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is such a shitty argument but it is you. Mitchell hardly played down the stretch. Using "Mitchell started every game" is such a weak argument. 

Creighton also made the Elite 8 and Mitchell was far from our 5th best player. So what does that say about Mitchell? You really aren't good at this. 

Mitchell ALREADY FUCKING PLAYED HERE. He knows the entire coaching staff. He knows our starting point guard and center. 

Why is this a difficult concept for you? You think Kaluma is going to make some huge leap next season but a 19 year old with an elite toolkit is just going to stand pat? 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You also must not have watched Tennessee last year. They had a historic defense for most of the year (which regressed at the end of the year to some degree).

Waaaat?  A Barnes team regressed toward the end of the year?  No wai.

• Haha 1

Think about how bad Carr was his first season at Texas and then how amazing he was once he settled in. You don't just transfer and automatically pick up your production from your previous stop. Where as there is no fucking way Mitchell would be worse as a sophomore. It would be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. 

fwiw i'd love to have mitchell back, i think he can be a contributing piece to a winning team, and i would project him to make a noticeable leap from year one to year two. a whole lot of his lack of production and/or showcasing real skill comes from him having to be a role player on a very good, senior laden team. if he had been playing 30 mpg we would have seen him grow and evolve more over the course of the season. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mitchell ALREADY FUCKING PLAYED HERE. He knows the entire coaching staff. He knows our starting point guard and center. 

Why is this a difficult concept for you? You think Kaluma is going to make some huge leap next season but a 19 year old with an elite toolkit is just going to stand pat? 

I don't think Kaluma has to "make some huge leap" to be better than Mitchell. He's already a better offensive player and defensive player. I would expect both players to improve with more experience. Also, I'll take the better player over familiarity with staff/players. Roster churn is part of college basketball now and if you can't navigate that it's on the coaching staff. 

I don't know how to say this politely but if you think Mitchell is better than somebody like Phillips you're fucking high. Phillips floor is a proven top 10ish defender and Mitchell is a project with very little proven ability yet. I mean come on. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'd also like to have phillips or kaluma. assuming we end up with any of these three i'll be pleased. one of them + another guard to round out the roster.

The problem with Phillips and Kaluma is we will have to drop a bag for either (assuming they don't stay in the draft). I don't know where Texas is with NIL funds but I wonder if there's enough to buy one of those guys + a guard. 

That's one area I could see value in Mitchell. Since he can't enter the portal and his NBA draft prospects are slim, maybe you can get him back for cheap now and allocate the rest of NIL to a good guard like Tyrin Lawrence. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think Kaluma has to "make some huge leap" to be better than Mitchell. He's already a better offensive player and defensive player. I would expect both players to improve with more experience. Also, I'll take the better player over familiarity with staff/players. Roster churn is part of college basketball now and if you can't navigate that it's on the coaching staff. 

I don't know how to say this politely but if you think Mitchell is better than somebody like Phillips you're fucking high. Phillips floor is a proven top 10ish defender and Mitchell is a project with very little proven ability yet. I mean come on. 

I can't do this with you man. You are way too far in the weeds. I'm not sure why you can't objectively evaluate this kid. 

You take Mitchell over either of those guys and it isn't even a debate. Terry would laugh you out of his office if you suggested doing otherwise. It doesn't matter what numbers any of these guys put up last season. You are talking about an elite high school prospect returning for a program that he had a significant part in helping get back on the map of college basketball. 

If you think I don't know what I'm talking about then I don't really give a shit. I am perfectly comfortable with my knowledge and assessment of the game at multiple levels. I think you have a good basketball mind, too, I just think you're off the mark here and way too harsh on this guy.