2023 Yankees Season Thread: Revenge Tour

Helobious

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Trivia: who has a higher winning % right now, the Astros or the Yankees?

You held that post until Aug 12, 2022 and all it got you was a broom for the ALCS.

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TonyTroll just can't fucking help himself. Takes him 31 hours to come up with that brilliant reply, & let's not forget his very own advice

On 3/29/2023 at 9:15 AM, TonyTexas said:

I implore those who feel the need to post in the Yankee threads to refrain. It is an open invitation to He Who Shall Not Be Named to venture in here. If you stay away, he will be talking to himself. Of course, the MLB thread is fair game. 

In actual Yankee news, Severino is in a real bad way, but the bats just picked him up with a big top 4. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Orioles basically copying the Astros model of building around young stars certainly does not bode well for the Yankees (again).  The Bronx's collection of roided-out, injury-prone overrated  prima donnas is going to need a massive overhaul to keep them out of the bottom half of the division. And you can't expect much help from their middle of the pack farm system...

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The Orioles basically copying the Astros model of building around young stars certainly does not bode well for the Yankees (again).  The Bronx's collection of roided-out, injury-prone overrated  prima donnas is going to need a massive overhaul to keep them out of the bottom half of the division. And you can't expect much help from their middle of the pack farm system...

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

The Astros had to cheat to make their “model” work. This will blow up in the orioles face. And lulz at middle of the pack farm system. Jasson Dominguez & Spencer jones say hi.

• Fuck You 2

41 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Astros had to cheat to make their “model” work. This will blow up in the orioles face. And lulz at middle of the pack farm system. Jasson Dominguez & Spencer jones say hi.

The Astros were scapegoated when numerous teams were known to have been sign stealing. Meanwhile the Yankees last appearance is almost old enough to get its drivers permit. 

And I found 2 farm system rankings, having the Yankees at 24th and 13th which I'd definitely say is middle of the pack. They're going to have to decide to either deal prospects to try to appease their moronic fan base or finish 4th in the east and fire everyone. 

And based on your well documented prognostication skills I may start making bets on the O's winning a title in the next few seasons 

houston-astros-baseballs-great-experiment-june-30-2014-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So how’s the revenging going so far?

th?id=OIP.9_hLWjFPmWA1QYwgC6OkKgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

I would be amazed if they make the playoffs.  I said they should have canned Boone and Cashman at the end of last season.  I have wanted Cashman replaced since 2013.  Yankees should just embrace the evil empire vibe and hire Luhnow.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Helobious said:

Worst Yankee loss I have ever fucking seen

Same here.  I'm not a yankees fan, but damn man.  I would say that game was a "full collapse", "team implosion" or whatever.  There are no words to describe that shit on the field.  Yankess will never win a title with boone.

Pretty good article.    Read that Steinbrenner will keep Cashman - hopefully that will change.

Yankees' trade bust is another example of mismanagement (empiresportsmedia.com)

It is no secret that the New York Yankees are currently in a troubling phase, desperately striving to redirect their course. Regrettably, they must endure the remainder of a lackluster 2023 season, epitomized by a 9th-inning blown save against the Miami Marlins on Sunday afternoon.

Factors Contributing to the Demise of World Series Hopes

The unfortunate truth lies in the poor roster construction, injuries, and inconsistency from the Yankees’ high-priced veterans, all of which have crushed any dreams of a World Series triumph.

Mismanagement of Finances and Trades

With General Manager Brian Cashman squandering hundreds of millions of dollars annually and making poorly-judged trades, a likely shift in strategy is looming. Over the past few seasons, the Yankees have leaned on analytics for support, something Cashman uses to shield himself.

Managerial Dilemma

Manager Aaron Boone may be singled out as the season’s fall guy, but the Yankees are compelled to make wiser decisions and capitalize on significant acquisitions. Though Cashman has been skillful in scouting lowkey bullpen arms, he has fumbled acquisitions like Josh Donaldson, Frankie Montas, and Carlos Rodon, leading to dissatisfaction within the ownership.

Focus on Montas and His Impact on the Yankees

Focusing on Montas, who will likely miss the 2023 season due to shoulder surgery, we find a case of medical oversight. Acquiring Montas despite his ongoing injury culminated in a season-long absence. Cashman’s interest in Luis Castillo and Cody Bellinger reveals a pattern of failure akin to playing Russian roulette.

Montas’ trade may be marked as one of Cashman’s gravest mistakes, evidenced by his alarming statistics after moving from the Oakland Athletics. Increased walks and home runs with the Yankees seem to be the continuation of the team’s bad luck.

Cashman leveraged one of his top pitching prospects, Ken Waldichuk, in exchange for Montas with one year left of control. With the perception of the Yankees’ farm system, it’s safe to say Waldichuk could’ve been used more efficiently for an offensive piece.

Financial Risks and Their Consequences

Cashman may argue that misfortunes like Andrew Benintendi’s downfall and Montas’s injury post-acquisition were mere bad luck. However, consuming $50 million from Josh Donaldson’s contract at age 35 was a massive gamble. Sound teams avoid such pricey risks, and the Yankees will be burdened with paying Donaldson beyond the 2023 season.

The Road to Recovery: Investing in Young Prospects

A possible escape from this predicament commences with exploring the potential of the Yankees’ younger prospects.

The Yankees have mishandled their prospects, such as Estevan Florial, Oswald Peraza, and Deivi Garcia, who was picked up by the Chicago White Sox. Mismanagement extends to trading Ezequiel Duran for Joey Gallo, although Clayton Beeter’s acquisition is a positive note. Duran’s performance with the Texas Rangers exemplifies what the Yankees missed out on.

The Need for Youthful Energy and Smart Investments

A colossal effort is required to guide the Yankees back to success. The intelligent move would be to rejuvenate the current roster with youth, utilizing minor-league prospects — the team MUST see what the future holds.

The Yankees cannot remedy every problem with financial muscle, especially as other teams are now adept at finding value through smart decisions and player evaluations.

Lessons from Competitors: Tampa Bay Rays

Examining the Tampa Bay Rays reveals an elite team constructed on just a fraction of the Yankees’ budget. Steinbrenner must be contemplating how to achieve more with less, a notion that is entirely feasible but unlikely under Cashman’s administration.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think god hates me specifically

Try being a Pirates fan. Rebuilding since 1992.

I am a casual baseball fan. I like it. I loved playing baseball but, MLB was just too slow for me. We did go to a St. Louis game when I was out there for my Godson's soccer game. The new pitch clock made a difference and I enjoyed the game much more.

I find it amazing that the Yankees have not absolutely cleaned house on the management side considering the insane money they spend. I think that is one big reason people take such joy in the Yankees being so awful, and the money disparity has been that way for so long. I find it baffling that they have only won one World Series in 20 years, 2009, with their many advantages.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/yankees

On a side note when Pitt played Northwestern in the Pinstripe Bowl our Pitt radio crew did the game from the Yankees broadcasting booth and that was neat but, that also meant we were behind home plate, which meant we were behind the end zone so the view was not the greatest. I enjoyed Yankee Stadium and going down on the field and looking at the plaques and stuff. The press box area was very nice too.