2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Saw a rumor that Houston is interested in James Paxton.  He might be a good target for them, a rental with an injury history but one who has shown to be very effective when on/healthy; that’s the kind of pitcher they might have to roll the dice on if they don’t want to throw away their only good prospect (Gilbert).

Anyone remember back when we finally had a GM that made good deals on a consistent basis. Not a once in a life time miracle deal that turned out to be kind of ok. Sort of wish we had that again. I was fooled when I thought the Stros finally had an owner that liked winning World Series. Not just another Jersey selling greedy Jerry Jones type owner.

21 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Anyone remember back when we finally had a GM that made good deals on a consistent basis. Not a once in a life time miracle deal that turned out to be kind of ok. Sort of wish we had that again. I was fooled when I thought the Stros finally had an owner that liked winning World Series. Not just another Jersey selling greedy Jerry Jones type owner.

With an exception to the period from November 2022 - February 2023, we have had arguably the best GM performance in the entire league over the last decade.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Saw a rumor that Houston is interested in James Paxton.  He might be a good target for them, a rental with an injury history but one who has shown to be very effective when on/healthy; that’s the kind of pitcher they might have to roll the dice on if they don’t want to throw away their only good prospect (Gilbert).

Chowds are only 2 back of the last wild card spot so they'd have to implode first. 

1 hour ago, TejasPedro said:

Good One Lol GIF by Justin

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ohtani is enough to carry any wild card team to the WS, make the them take some of rendon’s contract too. 

always amazes me when more teams don’t dump fa’s at the deadline, when they’re out of the race 

Det, chW, oak, kc, cubs, pit, stL, wash, CR should all be dumping players for prospects 

• Like 1

If I’m the Angels I’m specifically trying to trade Ohtani to the Astros or Rangers and pull as many of their assets as I can. They probably know Ohtani will never sign back with either of them to stay in Texas, they weaken their divisional opponents future depth moving forward and make themselves better at the same time. Assuming either of them have anything worth trading for equal or better to what is being offered. And they can still try to resign him after the season. Does that make sense to anyone but me? Lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

If I’m the Angels I’m specifically trying to trade Ohtani to the Astros or Rangers and pull as many of their assets as I can. They probably know Ohtani will never sign back with either of them to stay in Texas, they weaken their divisional opponents future depth moving forward and make themselves better at the same time. Assuming either of them have anything worth trading for equal or better to what is being offered. And they can still try to resign him after the season. Does that make sense to anyone but me? Lol

It does make a lot of sense but the problem is most GMs don't want to gamble on a move like that in their own division because if the prospects flop and the trading partner wins a WS with Ohtani, that GM is made a laughingstock and probably out of a job eventually. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Shohei

Pena, Korey Lee, Singleton, Chas, B. Abreu

Singleton has no trade value.

Angels are set at SS with Neto.

If Ohtani is traded some team is going to have done something dramatic and I hope it’s not the Astros (I don’t think it will be).  I think a competitive Astros offer would be something like Yainer Diaz, Luis Garcia, Spencer Arrighetti, and Pedro Leon.  That would be a costly and likely bad deal for the Astros but it sure would be exciting.

I don't think we should get involved in a bidding war for any big splash trade targets. I think the smart move is to add a middle of the rotation SP who can pitch game 3 of the ALDS and Game 4 of the ALCS/WS and a cheap bat if possible.

The bottom line is this: if we don't see improvements from the bats we have and Javier and/or Brown, no one we trade for is going to push us over the top, and if we do see those improvements, we don't anything more that what I mentioned. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

IMG_0602.thumb.jpeg.c45891d83558d0c529f8eb22b50e52fd.jpegGot to take 5 hacks at minute made today and made contact all 5 times. I think I watched 100 people hit and only 3 or 4 of those didn’t swing and miss at least once. Hit one solid to shortstop and the other 4 were not exactly great. Was fun. 

IMG_0597.jpeg

100% we should include prospect Wulaw in any trade 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Singleton has no trade value.

Angels are set at SS with Neto.

If Ohtani is traded some team is going to have done something dramatic and I hope it’s not the Astros (I don’t think it will be).  I think a competitive Astros offer would be something like Yainer Diaz, Luis Garcia, Spencer Arrighetti, and Pedro Leon.  That would be a costly and likely bad deal for the Astros but it sure would be exciting.

While I agree that package is costly and would probably be a bad deal for the Astros, I'm not convinced it would be anywhere close to what will be needed to land Shohei.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

While I agree that package is costly and would probably be a bad deal for the Astros, I'm not convinced it would be anywhere close to what will be needed to land Shohei.

Pretty much everything about Ohtani is unprecedented.  Impossible to be confident about what he will bring back if traded.

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It will be interesting to see how much a premium Ohtani will garner simply to get a head start on negotiations for his next contract. 

first 3 pitches should be intentional hit by pitch, to each. sets the tone and let's them know that this isn't a joke 

9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Pretty much everything about Ohtani is unprecedented.  Impossible to be confident about what he will bring back if traded.

That's a valid statement and likely the source of my doubt.  I do feel like an acquiring team will have to pay a "publicity tax" if the Angels are going to agree to ship out the most famous baseball player in the world.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m no GM but I’ve always wondered why more teams don’t make trades the week off for the all star game giving them time to get to their new teams and get as many games in as possible for the second half. Maybe there’s a reason just never made sense to me for teams that know they want to make a roster upgrade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m no GM but I’ve always wondered why more teams don’t make trades the week off for the all star game giving them time to get to their new teams and get as many games in as possible for the second half. Maybe there’s a reason just never made sense to me for teams that know they want to make a roster upgrade.

I think many teams need the time to decide if they are buyers, sellers or maintaining status quo. Those decisions affect the market. 

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Also the selling GMs aren't typically going to trade this far out unless it is an amazing deal.

This.

deadlines drive deals. Period. Anyone making deals well in advance have to be playing “spot the fool in the room” in the back of their mind .

21 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I would think if you know who you want and you go get him before the deadline it would be a good thing. 

Then the fool in the room is the other guy.….unless it’s you because you offered the farm to get it done early and gave up way more than you would have otherwise if there needed up little to no market for the guy