2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

All told the schedule is fine...

Gm 1: Come on after OU game DGAF about the NL markets
Gm 2: Prime time Sunday night baseball
Gm 3: Given the number of LatAm players on the team and their penchant for hating the cold I'm ok
Gm 4: See above
Gm 5: IDMAS hopefully we don't need this slot and leave it for Balt/Tex

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I am mystified by the Machete over Diaz and literally anyone over Chas lineups.  However, it is hard to argue with the results.  Between giant douche and turd sandwich, I pick Dusty.

Diaz was worth about 3 WAR more than Maldonado by both fangraphs and baseball reference despite having fewer plate appearances, in a division won by a tiebreaker on the last day of the season. Simply flipping the number of games started at catcher (117! vs 42) is likely enough to have made a difference in the standings by a couple of games.

Its beating a dead horse, I know-but it’s not at all hard to argue with those results. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Damn gray finished 8-8?

I know w/L is a garbage stat but that is surprising to me 

but admittedly i didn’t pay much attention to him after the first month or 2 when he was dominating us 

Do you not 1987 Nolan Ryan?

Led the league in ERA & Strikeouts only player in history to do so and not win the Cy Young because his W/L was 8-16

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Diaz was worth about 3 WAR more than Maldonado by both fangraphs and baseball reference despite having fewer plate appearances, in a division won by a tiebreaker on the last day of the season. Simply flipping the number of games started at catcher (117! vs 42) is likely enough to have made a difference in the standings by a couple of games.

Its beating a dead horse, I know-but it’s not at all hard to argue with those results. 

And you know it’s going to make a difference in the playoffs…just a matter of when, I fear… and whether it’s in the game we’re actually eliminated or early in a series.

I haven’t decide how I’m going to react when that happens, but if goes 0-4 with a GIDP and 2 Ks plus 0 CS and 1 or 2 passed balls, the probability of a remote going through the TV is going to look like one of those probability line charts that spikes to 99.9% at the very end

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dr99 said:

Can't wait to see Maldonado catch in Minnesota again.

https://www.mlb.com/news/martin-maldonado-has-trouble-with-shadows-in-loss-to-twins

By the time the third inning rolled around, shadows began creeping from home plate toward the pitcher’s mound, making it a difficult afternoon to see the baseball -- for both the hitters and catchers.

April 7: gametime: 3:17, sunset 7:48

Oct 10: gametime: 3:07, sunset 6:45

idk how exactly how earth axis and shit works in Minneapolis in April relative to Oct but all else being equal, seems shadows will be creeping across home plate right around first pitch Tuesday.

hold on to your butts 

1 minute ago, Scraps said:
4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
Game 1 - Verlander (13-8, 3.22) vs Ober (8-6, 3.43)

Game 2 - Valdez (12-11, 3.45) vs Lopez (11-8, 3.66)

Game 3 - Javier (10-5, 4.56) vs Gray (8-8, 2.79)

Ober over Joe Ryan seems like an odd choice

Ill guess that Ryan will back him up out of the BP 

26 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Where we thinking best spot tomorrow morning to watch TX-OU before heading into Minute Maid?

cobos or little Woodrow’s 

50 minutes ago, Scraps said:
5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
Game 1 - Verlander (13-8, 3.22) vs Ober (8-6, 3.43)

Game 2 - Valdez (12-11, 3.45) vs Lopez (11-8, 3.66)

Game 3 - Javier (10-5, 4.56) vs Gray (8-8, 2.79)

Ober over Joe Ryan seems like an odd choice

we need to knock out ober in the first 

Edited by tx 3 putt

18 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I am mystified by the Machete over Diaz and literally anyone over Chas lineups.  However, it is hard to argue with the results.  Between giant douche and turd sandwich, I pick Dusty.

Barry Switzer is a Super Bowl winning coach.  It wasn't because of his coaching.  That's not to say Dusty sucks to that degree, because he is one of the alltime winningest coaches in baseball.  It's the deliberate obstinate bullshit that people are sick of.  The Astros would win a shit-ton of games with my dogs as the managers and bench coaches.  The dogs would probably fill out better lineup cards too.

For a team who took analytics and data to the forefront of baseball, it's tough as fans to have seen those results and then watch an old guy( hey, I am one too!) just fucking wing it in the face of what the numbers support.

Edited by slorch