2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

Montero in a two run game is so fucking stupid.  Stupid.  Whatever, maybe it won't be like 2019 tomorrow.

Who did you want instead?

because you don’t burn your closer in a game you’re down two when he went two innings two nights ago and you may need him later in the game if you can come back and tie it… or to go more than 1 tomorrow if Abreu doesn’t win his appeal

I have to say it’s funny to me to see people mad about this. It’s completely in character with everything he’s done in his career and all year and why I was so mad during the year because I knew this was coming in a hugely important situation.  Now that it’s here I’m not mad and just in it for the ride. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I want to go back to being a team run by smart people.

Elias and Sig are 1 to 2 years away from a WS title in Baltimore. They should put them on the cover of Sports Illustrated. They are following our playbook to a T. 

Luhnow is in Mexico somewhere kicking a soccer ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

I’m still absolutely stunned that Dusty ran Singleton out there with the bases loaded and two outs.    Even for Dusty that was some crazy shit.  

aside from the no duh obviousness of it as a homer fan, I really really wanted to see Singleton come through in that huge moment just for his career arc. I was practically shitting myself with nervousness, I can't imagine how a hyped prospect with his rise and fall and return back to MLB as a 31 year old journeyman minor leaguer was ready for the enormity of it. Baseball is a game of failure, sucks that he wasn't able to be the successful side for that one at bat.

Part of me thinks Dusty ran him out there for similar sentiments.....

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Gourmand said:

aside from the no duh obviousness of it as a homer fan, I really really wanted to see Singleton come through in that huge moment just for his career arc. I was practically shitting myself with nervousness, I can't imagine how a hyped prospect with his rise and fall and return back to MLB as a 31 year old journeyman minor leaguer was ready for the enormity of it. Baseball is a game of failure, sucks that he wasn't able to be the successful side for that one at bat.

Dusty ran him out there because he drew a walk on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Elias and Sig are 1 to 2 years away from a WS title in Baltimore. They should put them on the cover of Sports Illustrated. They are following our playbook to a T. 

Luhnow is in Mexico somewhere kicking a soccer ball. 

Bring Mike Fast back.

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Uhhhhh. I don’t know where to start…..

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Oh I was right there with you once the die was cast.  

I can't get over Dusty Baker leading off the 7th with Fatty.

And I can't get over how terrible the Dubon AB was in the 8th. Why the fuck are you swinging when he just walked someone on 5 pitches and looked nervous as fuck? Not to mention the first two pitches were balls...

And Montero in the 9th? Really? 

And Kyle Tucker is giving people with the last name of Tucker a bad name (pulling an opposite of Justin Tucker) 

Fuck 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Bring Mike Fast back.

Judging by his Linkedin, he is open to opportunities. 

I couldn’t figure out how to link it, but this sure sounds like he would listen. 

I am passionate about helping players, coaches, and evaluators by combining insights from analytics, computer vision, and data visualization with experience in player development, sports science, and scouting. I enjoy assembling, training, and mentoring teams of experts and creating a culture of creative innovation across disciplines. I have an ability to listen to people and understand what they truly want and need, and to connect people and ideas in a way that inspires and brings out the best in everyone. I excel at bridging abstract and innovative concepts with a holistic real-world context to spur new ways of tackling problems. I have a track record of leading this kind of change to develop leaders for the future and to transform an organization to a championship level. I especially enjoy encouraging and equipping others as they take ideas that I helped to introduce and watch as they take them to the next level beyond what I could have done.

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Fuck sentiments. I want to win. And no fucking way he was the optimal path to victory. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here we are 1 game from our 5th WS in 7 years and we have a roster with 3 guys on it that would never play for any other team in the playoffs. It's fucking amazing and sad at the same time.

Meanwhile, we continue to sit two of our Top 5 hitters over the course of the season and wonder why we score 2 runs in big games.

• Rage+1 3

12 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

Fuck sentiments. I want to win. And no fucking way he was the optimal path to victory.

of course. i was shocked that he was PH for Pena in that situation and thought it was bizarre old school righty/lefty thinking by Dusty.

But my post was about my fingers and toes crossed hopes and prayers of a magical baseball moment for a dude who's had quite the roller coaster ride and had an opportunity to etch a memory for fanbase that's been blessed with quite a few great ones the last seven years. baseball, man. alas.......